The Student Room Group

Microlitres to Micrograms

I'm trying to create a calibration graph, and have been asked to use the absolute in ug.

The standard protein solution was 100 ug/ml, and was pipetted in ul.

To find the absolute amount of protein, would I divide the pipetted amount by 1000, and then times it by 100?

I'm not used to this method, so some help would be appreciated.
I don't really understand your question but I don't think you have given enough information.

To convert mL to uL then multiply by 1000.

If you have 100ug/mL of protein and you have say 100uL. Then...

100uL = 0.1mL.

100ug/mL x 0.1mL = 10ug.
Reply 2
atheistwithfaith
I don't really understand your question but I don't think you have given enough information.

To convert mL to uL then multiply by 1000.

If you have 100ug/mL of protein and you have say 100uL. Then...

100uL = 0.1mL.

100ug/mL x 0.1mL = 10ug.

I think you've understood what I was asking. Sorry I was unclear, it was late and I was very confused lol.

Just to clarify: I had a stock solution of 100ug/mL, which I pipetted in portions into a curvette using a 200ug pipette along with some other stuff. I then used to a spectrophotometer to get a series of readings and now I'm making a calibration graph, and need to find the amount of protein in each curvette.

Right, so my standard solution I am pipetting from is 100ug/mL.
Say I pipetted 80ul from the standard solution.
So then that would be 0.08mL
so 100x0.08 would mean that I had an absolute value of 8ug?
fudgestix
I think you've understood what I was asking. Sorry I was unclear, it was late and I was very confused lol.

Just to clarify: I had a stock solution of 100ug/mL, which I pipetted in portions into a curvette using a 200ug pipette along with some other stuff. I then used to a spectrophotometer to get a series of readings and now I'm making a calibration graph, and need to find the amount of protein in each curvette.

Yep :smile:
fudgestix

I'm guessing you mean a 200uL pipette as I don't believe such a thing as a 200ug pipette exists.

That sounds right to me, although the term 'absolute value' is slightly confusing. If you already know your stock solution and you know what you added to your cuvette I don't see why you need to run a spectrophotometer, that's usually if you have an unknown concentration of protein.
Reply 5
fudgestix

Just thought I'd mention that it's a 'cuvette' not 'curvette'.
Reply 6
Yes, I meant uL - unit's get me so confused.

Sorry, I am working out the value of an unknown protein using the graph lol, I just didn't think that bit of info was relevant since the calculation was just for plotting the graph.

Anyway, I'm sorted now. Thanks for the help :biggrin:
atheistwithfaith
I'm guessing you mean a 200uL pipette as I don't believe such a thing as a 200ug pipette exists.

That sounds right to me, although the term 'absolute value' is slightly confusing. If you already know your stock solution and you know what you added to your cuvette I don't see why you need to run a spectrophotometer, that's usually if you have an unknown concentration of protein.

You need to use a range of known concentrations first to make a calibration curve :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending