Turn on thread page Beta

Mods: I put this thread here so I can post it anon. Please don't de-anon.

I used to be realy light and skinny, just under 9 stone, at 18 (male). I wanted to put weight on so I ate lots, but most of the weight has gone onto my stomach. I'm now 10 stone, but still have visable ribs and skinny legs etc, but I've got a real gut.

To tone my stomach and build muscle/flesh around my arms, legs, shoulders etc what should I do? I don't really wanna join a gym cus I'd find it really embarrsing so I was thinking running to burn off stomach fat, and maybe buy some weights and do sit-ups to build muscle. Would this work and how would I know what weights to buy and what exercises to do to get the desired effects.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    You can't spot reduce fat, but I've heard that stomach fat is the first to go. So to lose fat, it's all about aerobic exercise - jogging, swimming, running, football etc - get some of that. It's also a lot to diet with diet, you still need to eat, but 6 small meals instead of 3 big ones, and try and lower how much fat you intake.
    In terms of weights and exercises, depends how much you have to spend. In my opinion, a set of dumbells are a must - you can find out a lot of dumbell exercises through google, e.g.:
    http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com...exercises.html
    Just change your diet a little, do some more exercise, and if you're gonna do weights without a gym, try some of those exercises... but you might wanna ask a mate or someone that's been doing this stuff for a while to show your proper form and technique.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vim216)
    You can't spot reduce fat, but I've heard that stomach fat is the first to go. So to lose fat, it's all about aerobic exercise - jogging, swimming, running, football etc - get some of that. It's also a lot to diet with diet, you still need to eat, but 6 small meals instead of 3 big ones, and try and lower how much fat you intake.
    In terms of weights and exercises, depends how much you have to spend. In my opinion, a set of dumbells are a must - you can find out a lot of dumbell exercises through google, e.g.:
    http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com...exercises.html
    Just change your diet a little, do some more exercise, and if you're gonna do weights without a gym, try some of those exercises... but you might wanna ask a mate or someone that's been doing this stuff for a while to show your proper form and technique.
    It isn´t.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brotherhood)
    It isn´t.
    what is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adonis)
    what is
    F knows but I thought it was generally accepted that the stomach was one of the first places it goes on and last it comes off in both sexes.

ReputationRep:
    For men, stomach is actually one of the last places. Lower stomach is a ******* to get rid of, even for people who are relatively lean.

Face is first for men. My experience at least.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brotherhood)
    F knows but I thought it was generally accepted that the stomach was one of the first places it goes on and last it comes off in both sexes.
    LOL

What you meant to say was "it's more noticeable on stomach" when gaining, or lack of noticing when dieting.

for males, the last place is glutes, the second last place is hamstrings, then 3rd last as it were is quads.

I forget what it is for women, but I know abs isn't last either. It's generally lower-body women would struggle to get defined.

The first place is generally love-handles, this is assuming you control insulin via carb control.

Just may not be noticeable because there is a lot there.

Again, you can manipulate various hormones to adjust where the fat goes from, but what isn't hormone sensitive is cheek/chin so your face should become leaner as you become leaner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iamkund)
    For men, stomach is actually one of the last places. Lower stomach is a ******* to get rid of, even for people who are relatively lean.

Face is first for men. My experience at least.
    chat **** bruv.

read my above post for clarification.

I will add - just because it doesn't "look fat" doesn't mean there isn't fat there.

Your legs can carry a lot of fat without 'looking fat' likewise with arms and other bodyparts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Mods: I put this thread here so I can post it anon. Please don't de-anon.

I used to be realy light and skinny, just under 9 stone, at 18 (male). I wanted to put weight on so I ate lots, but most of the weight has gone onto my stomach. I'm now 10 stone, but still have visable ribs and skinny legs etc, but I've got a real gut.

To tone my stomach and build muscle/flesh around my arms, legs, shoulders etc what should I do? I don't really wanna join a gym cus I'd find it really embarrsing so I was thinking running to burn off stomach fat, and maybe buy some weights and do sit-ups to build muscle. Would this work and how would I know what weights to buy and what exercises to do to get the desired effects.

Thanks.
    Where/what did you think would happen with the surplus of calories if there was no stimulus for muscle gain?

Go to a gym, no-one cares. In fact the opposite, in a good gym people will help you out. They know we all have to start somewhere.

I'm sure someone will chime in on what to do training/diet wise.

ReputationRep:
    chat **** bruv.

read my above post for clarification.

I will add - just because it doesn't "look fat" doesn't mean there isn't fat there.

Your legs can carry a lot of fat without 'looking fat' likewise with arms and other bodyparts.
    I never made a comment towards anything you're talking about.

I'm talking fat loss to the point of where it's unnoticable. Not to the point of where it doesn't exist.

urdoingitwrong.jpg

ReputationRep:
    Go to a gym, no-one cares. In fact the opposite, in a good gym people will help you out. They know we all have to start somewhere.
    What he said: in a good gym people are pretty willing to help you out if you're polite. Especially the big dudes: most of them got help from another big dude at some point.

ReputationRep:
    What weight training program were you doing? If you increase your food intake what do you expect to happen other than getting fat?

Your best of going to the gym. You can't spot reduce fat, even what adonis is saying might be true to some degree, but there are plently of people that oppose that. My dad had a gut but his legs had very little bodyfat due to running ~3m runs often. At 10 stone you're still going to be skinny so I doubt you have a gut tbh.

I'd recommend ws4sb or starting strength.

ReputationRep:
    what is
    there is not "single place" where fats first goes from, everyone is different, some lose it in their legs first, some in their arms etc, but most males lose fat from their face first

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 7777777)
    What weight training program were you doing? If you increase your food intake what do you expect to happen other than getting fat?

Your best of going to the gym. You can't spot reduce fat, even what adonis is saying might be true to some degree, but there are plently of people that oppose that. My dad had a gut but his legs had very little bodyfat due to running ~3m runs often. At 10 stone you're still going to be skinny so I doubt you have a gut tbh.

I'd recommend ws4sb or starting strength.
    Depends on what you mean by 'very little bodyfat'

I haven't seen your dad's legs/gut but I've seen plenty of people with abs but no cut quads

most people don't care for cut quads, or are used to see legs with deep cuts that legs with a lot of fat on them look 'defined'

there's a reason why 'straited glutes' are looked out for on BBing shows, it is the last place where fat goes from, and the lower body in general is harder to shift in absolute terms regards to fat

ReputationRep:
    Depends on what you mean by 'very little bodyfat'

I haven't seen your dad's legs/gut but I've seen plenty of people with abs but no cut quads

most people don't care for cut quads, or are used to see legs with deep cuts that legs with a lot of fat on them look 'defined'

there's a reason why 'straited glutes' are looked out for on BBing shows, it is the last place where fat goes from, and the lower body in general is harder to shift in absolute terms regards to fat
    I mean they were really veiny without any weight training at all and pretty big as well some how.

I know it is generally. Maybe it was the 3miles runs he did but I don't know why

ReputationRep:
    fat from the glutes is definitely the last place, remember bish saying that as well as on a couple lifting sites.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.