The Student Room Group
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website

Cass' informal telephone interview, anyone?

Hello everybody

As many of you, I applied to CASS Business School (Management) as well, and after some waiting, I have finally got some response. Just an email for now, telling me that they would like to interview me over the phone:

We feel that you are a strong candidate; however, as you will be over 21 at the start of the course, you will be required to have an informal telephone interview before we can make a final decision. The purpose of this is to:

ascertain your motivation for undertaking an undergraduate degree at this stage;
ensure you are equipped to succeed on the course.

Has anybody gone through this already? Do you have any idea about what kind of questions they are gonna ask, precisely? I really want to go to CASS so I don't want to screw this up. :woo:
Reply 1
Never heard about it to be honest with you, but the questions will probably be related to those two points. For.ex.
Why didn´t you start your university studies until now?
What is your goal with this course? etc.

Good luck.
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website
Reply 2
Thank you for your reply, Neo.

I wonder how crucial this interview is for the final decision. It doesn't seems to be related to my performance (they believe I'm a "strong candidate" ) but just to my motivation. :confused:

Anyway, do you have any idea how much time should I wait for the call after the email? And, eventually, what time do they usually call? Because I don't want to miss it because I'm on a lesson or something.
Reply 3
I believe they like you and want to have you at uni, but you need to show yourself as a good future student so just do it! :smile:

The best alternative would be if you could email them and ask. I am sure they are more than happy to answer this question. Another alternative is to call them, but I am not sure about it...
I remember that there was a box on UCAS where you could put the time when you are not available for an interview.
Reply 4
I've heard of international students having these phone interviews, I think it's to make sure you have a good enough grasp of English as much as anything else!
Reply 5
Thank you very much guys. :smile:

I'm still waiting for their phone call, a little bit nervous actually. I guess I'll email them today, let's see what they'll tell me.

Cheers,

Dias
Reply 6
We feel that you are a strong candidate; however, as you will be under 18 at the start of the course, you will be required to have an informal telephone interview before we can make a final decision. The purpose of this is to:
• ascertain your level of maturity;
• ensure that you have a London-based guardian;
• explain that you would have certain limits imposed on you regarding University facilities until you are 18, should you be offered and take up a place on the course.
Reply 7
What questions precisely will they ask to ascertain my level of maturity????? im scared i mite stammer or mumble during the interview!
can someone please write a few questions thanks...
will the ask anything bout my personal statement or recomendation letter..
what all sholud i be prepared with and have ready at hand????
Reply 8
Hmm, anybody have actually received any call yet?

I haven't and I'm starting to worry a lil bit.
I've been offered a short, informal phone interview with the Course Director also. I got less information than everyone else here did...
Reply 10
I had a telephonic interview last year with my Course Director. I had no clue about this interview as I wasn't told in advance. One fine morning I got a call from from the Course Director who asked me general questions. I've mentioned the ones I remember as below:

1. How are you? :P
2. So why do you want to do this course?
3. Why Cass?
4. Do you have some questions for me?

Yes, it was that simple. The call lasted for less than 5 minutes.

Then he mentioned that my grades were good and that he had liked personal statement. He mentioned that my spoken English was really good (I think it's not compared to some native speakers). The last thing he said was, 'you should get some good news soon'.

My advice for students who are having their interviews:
1. Don't freak out as no one is going to grill you over the telephone.
2. Be natural and show real interest in your course/university.
3. Don't talk too fast or too slow. Make sure the person on the other end understands you.
4. If it's an international call, there might be some disturbances in the line. If they ask a question and you don't understand it, don't feel shy to ask them to repeat - mention the line not being clear.
5. Chances are that your interviewer might ask you if you have some questions for him/her. Hence prepare some questions for the interviewer. I asked general questions about the course.
6. Remember to wish them when they call you and thank them for interviewing you before you hang up.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
Reply 11
Thank you very much, rockstar!~. :smile:

I've received an email from CASS, they will call me on Monday morning. From my understanding many mature applicants have their interview set for Monday.

Finger crossed, I hope everything will be fine. :woo:

Latest

Trending

Trending