Turn on thread page Beta

I'm not scared of Man City at all. Firstly, look at yesterday's game. I watched that in the pub and they should have lost, Blackpool played them off the field yet they got three goals from 4 shots. (Poor defending for two of them.) Secondly, look at Man City's squad? None of them would get into the Chelsea first 11, except perhaps, PERHAPS, you'd put Tevez in ahead of Anelka. I doubt many of them would even get into Man Utd's first 11 and Utd are looking very weak and jaded atm. City simply haven't bought players that are good enough to win the premier league. Good enough to be in the top 4, yes. They won't win the league though, not this season and almost definitely not under Mancini.

(Original post by cfc1992)

How's that for a touch??
    Sometimes I wish real life was like FM so you could get through a few seasons in like a week. Better than Wilshere :gah:

ReputationRep:
    Ramires is out too tomorrow.

We better not get any new injuries, this is ****. I think Mikel & Zhirkov will definitely start CM, Carlo said he didn't want to use Essien, but may have to. If not it's Josh, but I doubt Carlo will throw him in from the start yet.

Drop Malouda into midfield, play Kakuta, Anelka and Borini front three? Or Kalou if he's back (I thought he and Frank were supposed to return...)

ReputationRep:
    Kalou is back.

I guess it will be: Cech; Ferreira, Ivanovic, Terry, A.Cole/PVA; Mikel, Zhirkov, Essien/Josh; Kalou, Anelka, Malouda.

Yaya Toure? :toofunny:

Clearly would have been a replacement for Ballack, i.e. a starter in every other game in Essien's absence. With Lampard, Essien, and Mikel on this season's form, gangly Yaya would be on the bench.

No, I'm not stupid enough to make that kind of response, what do you think I am, an Arsenal fan? But look at the team dynamic; Yaya plays further forward at City than Mikel ever will at Chelsea and you are not seriously telling me you'd oust Lampard/Essien from what they do best to accommodate a player that's not as good as either of them? That would be like Capello playing Gerrard on right midfield and Lampard on left to let Jenas and Carrick play in centre midfield.

Besides, I've yet to see anything from Yaya toure in Man City colours to suggest he's anything special. Whilst you do have to appreciate how much Mikel has improved as a player this season to the past few years where he's always looked somewhat of a liability. (See what I did there? :smug:)

I shan't claim to say I'm an expert on his performances for Barcelona (:yucky:), but I don't think it's as cut and thrust as "no doubt" better than Mikel. He's good enough to play for us (I never said he's not), but I still don't think he'd be first 11. I certainly wouldn't choose him first 11 anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Yaya Toure is a brilliant player, and I would have been happy with him this summer. We bought in Ramires, who is probably technically better although I haven't seen enough to say for sure, younger & his quick movement suits our style of play.

If I had the choice of this weekend to have Lamps, Mikel & Essien or Lampard, Mikel/Essien & Yaya I would definitely pick the former. Mikel has been our best player this ssn in my opinion so wouldn't be out of the team.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n1r4v)
    great goal
    Link to game? Or where are you watching?

ReputationRep:
    Zhirkov :coma:

ReputationRep:

Bullet.

ReputationRep:
    Cech was rock solid today. Excellent performance.

ReputationRep:
    Our defence + gk are so good at the moment.

(Original post by n1r4v)
    If you know he's playing "further forward at City" doesn't that imply you knew he played DM at Barca and had a lot of success there? Despite considering how much Mikel has improved, I don't know how you could argue that he is better than Yaya? There absolutely no doubt he is a better DM than Mikel. Essien is actually better than Yaya in that role (imo) but you said yourself you wouldn't consider putting Essien in that position and Ancelotti doesn't seem to favour him in that role, so it's a direct comparison between Yaya and Mikel.

I know it's a fruitless discussion, but he is a better DM than Mikel, technically better than both Essien and Mikel and can play a variety of roles at a high level. Whether or not you think he'd get into the team, I think it's at least fair to say he is more than good enough to play for Chelsea.
    In the past couple of years, I think everyone would have agreed that Yaya was a better DM than Mikel. But that's unclear this season. We should prolly wait a dozen more games before judging how good the 'new Mikel' really is in comparison.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonah Ramone)
    I'm not scared of Man City at all. Firstly, look at yesterday's game. I watched that in the pub and they should have lost, Blackpool played them off the field yet they got three goals from 4 shots. (Poor defending for two of them.)
    Firstly Mancini made a mistake in going for a flat 4-4-2, it was essentially forced on him with Yaya's injury and a few international players not ready to start. I agree while we played that system we were beaten all over the field, but it's unlikely we'll play it again. Secondly the 4 shots is utter ********, according to the Guardian chalk boards we had 13 compared to Blackpool's 16 (11 of which were off target.. lol). So really if you're going to judge a game by shots (again lol), we were pretty equal.

If you did indeed watch that game, you have to admit Silva turned that game completely on it's head creating 3-4 clear cut chances aswell as a beauty of a goal. In future we'll have that luxury because he doesn't play with Spain for 90 minutes every week.

Secondly, look at Man City's squad? None of them would get into the Chelsea first 11, except perhaps, PERHAPS, you'd put Tevez in ahead of Anelka.
    Perhaps?
    Utterly laughable you would only consider a player who has scored 30 goals in his last 32 league games compared to one who's barely managed 10 I imagine. Especially considering Tevez regularly scores against the best defences in the league (Namely 5 in total against yours and United's last season).

I could make arguments for De Jong/Toure, Kompany, Hart and to a lesser extent border line players such as Milner, Johnson, Balotelli etc who'd easily get games in a squad that's undoubtedly going to be rotated over the course of a season. David Silva is another, but admittedly he wouldn't fit your system.

I doubt many of them would even get into Man Utd's first 11 and Utd are looking very weak and jaded atm. City simply haven't bought players that are good enough to win the premier league. Good enough to be in the top 4, yes. They won't win the league though, not this season and almost definitely not under Mancini.
    Of course they would get into one of the poorest United team's in years.

And how isn't a world cup winner, a CL winner, one of the best talents in Europe and two solidish defenders (I'm not going to argue they're anything special) not good enough?

By the by, Mikel has easily been better than Yaya this season. Once Yaya loses his belly I fully expect him to storm the league, until that day I'd have Mikel every time.

ReputationRep:
    You should be winning the title this season with the squad you have. We will see if it works out for you. If you don't then it's a failed season.

(Original post by Jeppasloth)
    Firstly Mancini made a mistake in going for a flat 4-4-2, it was essentially forced on him with Yaya's injury and a few international players not ready to start. I agree while we played that system we were beaten all over the field, but it's unlikely we'll play it again. Secondly the 4 shots is utter ********, according to the Guardian chalk boards we had 13 compared to Blackpool's 16 (11 of which were off target.. lol). So really if you're going to judge a game by shots (again lol), we were pretty equal.

If you did indeed watch that game, you have to admit Silva turned that game completely on it's head creating 3-4 clear cut chances aswell as a beauty of a goal. In future we'll have that luxury because he doesn't play with Spain for 90 minutes every week.
    Ever heard of hyperbole? And it's just as "lol" going on the "Guardian chalkboards" - news reports always make it seem there were more opportunities than there were by counting things that clearly weren't shots. City did not look like scoring, you can't say they did.

I'm not denying Silva had an impact but his goal was nothing more than poor defending, IT WAS THE SAME SHIMMY TWICE!

Perhaps?
    Utterly laughable you would only consider a player who has scored 30 goals in his last 32 league games compared to one who's barely managed 10 I imagine. Especially considering Tevez regularly scores against the best defences in the league (Namely 5 in total against yours and United's last season).

I could make arguments for De Jong/Toure, Kompany, Hart and to a lesser extent border line players such as Milner, Johnson, Balotelli etc who'd easily get games in a squad that's undoubtedly going to be rotated over the course of a season. David Silva is another, but admittedly he wouldn't fit your system.
    You imagine? Right so you obviously don't know. Now let's look at the fact that Tevez carries Man City by himself. Anelka's role isn't an out and out striker, he's just a nuisance - a lurker, with pace, and when Drogba isn't in the team he does score a lot of goals. Also how many of those 5 were penalties?

De Jong is not as good as Mikel and shouldn't even be playing anyway, he should be in a boxing ring. So no, he wouldn't be in our team. Kompany isn't as good as Terry, Alex or Ivanovic who has really become an good player in the last couple of years, so no, he wouldn't be in our team. Milner wouldn't be first 11 by a long shot. Johnson is going to be one of the best players in the league in a few years and then I think he would be in the team (him and Malouda behind a Drogba style powerhouse forward would be :sogood:) but for now he still needs experience. And Balotelli? Wtfh are you on? Joker. David Silva, you're right, simply wouldn't fit in our team. I still doubt he'd be a first 11 for us if he struggles to start at City.

And how isn't a world cup winner, a CL winner, one of the best talents in Europe and two solidish defenders (I'm not going to argue they're anything special) not good enough?
    There's a difference between being in a squad that wins those competitions and being a star player. That would be like saying Johnny Evans is one of the Premier League's best defenders cos he got a CL medal with Man Utd. Obvs not. Also, "solidish" really isn't good enough for a team with one of the best defensive records (if not the best) over the past few years.

ReputationRep:
    Tevez is better than Anelka. He just is.

ReputationRep:
    Ever heard of hyperbole? And it's just as "lol" going on the "Guardian chalkboards" - news reports always make it seem there were more opportunities than there were by counting things that clearly weren't shots. City did not look like scoring, you can't say they did.

I'm not denying Silva had an impact but his goal was nothing more than poor defending, IT WAS THE SAME SHIMMY TWICE!
    Right so, we didn't look like scoring, yet we still hit the cross bar twice, Ade missed a free header 8 yards out, hit the post once AND scored another 3 goals on top of that. Hows that for not looking like scoring.

Oh no the same shimmy twice? Well it must be poor defending.

You imagine? Right so you obviously don't know. Now let's look at the fact that Tevez carries Man City by himself. Anelka's role isn't an out and out striker, he's just a nuisance - a lurker, with pace, and when Drogba isn't in the team he does score a lot of goals. Also how many of those 5 were penalties?
    It is infact 6, 3 of which were penalties. Remember Lampard missed a penalty against us before you discount them as easy goals. Compare this to Anelka who only managed 3 goals against a top half team iirc (2 of them in a 7-2 against Sunderland).

And you can hardly call Anelka a nuisance compared to Tevez with his work rate.

De Jong is not as good as Mikel and shouldn't even be playing anyway, he should be in a boxing ring. So no, he wouldn't be in our team. Kompany isn't as good as Terry, Alex or Ivanovic who has really become an good player in the last couple of years, so no, he wouldn't be in our team. Milner wouldn't be first 11 by a long shot. Johnson is going to be one of the best players in the league in a few years and then I think he would be in the team (him and Malouda behind a Drogba style powerhouse forward would be :sogood:) but for now he still needs experience. And Balotelli? Wtfh are you on? Joker. David Silva, you're right, simply wouldn't fit in our team. I still doubt he'd be a first 11 for us if he struggles to start at City.
    Kompany is probably the form centre back in the league at the moment, I don't have any stats to back it up but take it from me. He is the majority of the reason for our defensive solidity. Now maybe Terry is superior but Alex/Ivanovic are certainly not.

I can't be bothered arguing the others because it'll descend into he's better, no he is etc.

There's a difference between being in a squad that wins those competitions and being a star player. That would be like saying Johnny Evans is one of the Premier League's best defenders cos he got a CL medal with Man Utd. Obvs not. Also, "solidish" really isn't good enough for a team with one of the best defensive records (if not the best) over the past few years.
    Go on then. How many star players do Chelsea have who've won CLs or World Cups? Oh wait none whatsoever. And Toure was a key player in Barca's CL win. Silva starts for the most talented nation in the world.

Aren't all defenders solidish to begin with? A defender builds a reputation based on consistency, not on defining moments etc. Until a defender is better known all they can ever be called is solid. For me atleast.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.