Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by Jeppasloth)
    Right so, we didn't look like scoring, yet we still hit the cross bar twice, Ade missed a free header 8 yards out, hit the post once AND scored another 3 goals on top of that. Hows that for not looking like scoring.
    Your bias is quite refreshing.

(Original post by Jappesloth)
    It is infact 6, 3 of which were penalties. Remember Lampard missed a penalty against us before you discount them as easy goals. Compare this to Anelka who only managed 3 goals against a top half team iirc (2 of them in a 7-2 against Sunderland).

And you can hardly call Anelka a nuisance compared to Tevez with his work rate.
    I wasn't discounting them, it's just an interesting statistic to take into consideration.

And if you're suggesting that Anelka has low work rate then you obviously have very little understanding of how Chelsea play.

Kompany is probably the form centre back in the league at the moment, I don't have any stats to back it up but take it from me. He is the majority of the reason for our defensive solidity. Now maybe Terry is superior but Alex/Ivanovic are certainly not.

I can't be bothered arguing the others because it'll descend into he's better, no he is etc.
    Ok, I'll take it from you.

(Original post by Jeppasloth)
    Go on then. How many star players do Chelsea have who've won CLs or World Cups? Oh wait none whatsoever. And Toure was a key player in Barca's CL win. Silva starts for the most talented nation in the world.

Aren't all defenders solidish to begin with? A defender builds a reputation based on consistency, not on defining moments etc. Until a defender is better known all they can ever be called is solid. For me atleast.
    Are league winners medals not enough? What about the fact Ashley Cole has won the most FA cups out of any player since something like 1896? Chelsea's champions league nearly men have had more successful careers than Man City's players. Sure Man City have recently brought in a couple of people who have won big tournaments, well done to them. But what have City won? And what do they look like winning atm? The EUROPA LEAGUE? :rofl2: It's funny that all the successes you are claiming for players in the Man City team haven't even come in this country. (With the exception of Bridge and SWP who won their medals with which English premier league club? :iiam:)

And no, not all defenders are solidish to begin with. They become solid before they become quality. If they don't become solid they become Philippe Senderos.

ReputationRep:
    You have to wonder how Manchester City aren't top of the league & only finished fifth last season considering how brilliant their squad is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cfc1992)
    You have to wonder how Manchester City aren't top of the league & only finished fifth last season considering how brilliant their squad is.
    How did Barcelona finish 3rd with the squad they had 3 years ago? It's not all about players sometimes, sure 90% of the time your squad indicates potential but if there is no real identity, cohesion and tactics even a great squad can fail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barça)
    How did Barcelona finish 3rd with the squad they had 3 years ago? It's not all about players sometimes, sure 90% of the time your squad indicates potential but if there is no real identity, cohesion and tactics even a great squad can fail.
    I'd argue there were some real tactics & cohesion at Citeh. Just the players haven't been consistent enough.

ReputationRep:
    Ok so at what point did scoring 3 goals, hitting the woodwork 3 times and missing a free header become not looking like scoring? It's not bias, all those things happened unless you're suggesting otherwise?

I am suggesting Tevez has a fantastic work rate which he is widely known for. Nothing more nothing less.

Please keep these things in context. I never said anything about Chelsea not having successful players, it was you that suggested you needed to be a star player in WC/CL winning side to be classed as good enough to win the league. I was merely saying that we had players who appeared in the two best club and country sides in the world (In fact Balo won the CL too) which must count for something in your grand scheme of good/not good enough.

Oh and by the way. Tevez, Vieira and Toure have all won PLs. I suspect you will have had a similar amount before your first PL title. Isn't it a bit obvious that a squad that have just won it will have more winners than one that hasn't?

Ah yes you're right. That was a mistype. I meant all good players start of solid, it's only consistency that makes them solid; something that needs to be proven over time. I've not been able to do that with Kolarov/Boateng so I'm not going to call them quality (Although it's quite possible they are).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cfc1992)
    I'd argue there were some real tactics & cohesion at Citeh. Just the players haven't been consistent enough.
    Well yes of course that could be another reason.

ReputationRep:
    Cfc I'm not sure if you're sincere or not.

I would say last season our squad lacked balance. As much as Tevez and Adebayor are fantastic in their own right they were a shocking partnership, I think both scored more without the other than with. Similarly in midfield, De Jong and Barry were too similar. Also that ridiculous run of draws really hurt us, we used up a lot of easy 3 points being utter spazzes.

ReputationRep:
    Ivanovic to Borini, who scored all our goals in 5-4 reserve win yesterday. 'You scored 5? Why are you here? You deserve seven days holiday!'

lol, from stamfordthelion

ReputationRep:
    has anyone seen the rumors going around about us and rooney?

ReputationRep:
    Michael essien will not last the season.

ReputationRep:
    Bosingwa is starting vs Wolves.

My sympathy goes out to whoevers job it is defending against him & A.Cole.

ReputationRep:
    Yes! Missed having him in the team. It'll be amazing. I look forward to the day when we can field our strongest 11 together again.

Malouda - Drogba - Anelka
    Lampard - Mikel - Essien
    A. Cole - Terry - Alex/Ivan - Bosingwa

:coma:

ReputationRep:
    http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/...rreira-back-to

lol. Didn't Paulo already say he wants to finish out his contract at Chelsea then I think retire?

ReputationRep:
    Can't see it happening. He has this year & another two left on his contract here which I think he will see out.

ReputationRep:
    :coma: Bosingwa and Ashley Cole are destroying them on the flanks. It's as if Bosingwa was never injured :coma:

ReputationRep:
    Bosingwa and Zhirkov tbh. :coma:

He's playing really well, very happy with him. Hopefully he'll get to start more, although I can't see him being chosen ahead of Lamps/Essien/Mikel/Malouda/A. Cole. He's unlucky.

ReputationRep:
    I lub chelsea <3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn-er)
    Bosingwa and Zhirkov tbh. :coma:

He's playing really well, very happy with him. Hopefully he'll get to start more, although I can't see him being chosen ahead of Lamps/Essien/Mikel/Malouda/A. Cole. He's unlucky.
    Yeah it's almost impossible to compete with positions filled by A.Cole, Lampard and Malouda. I guess his versatility means that an injury to any one of them will allow him sufficient game time. He's doing very good at left midfield mind.

ReputationRep:
    Good win, could have scored more though but not complaining. Hopefully Man City don't win tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    7/9 clean sheets so far. Beaten only by two brilliant goals (Parker & Tevez). Professional win, although quite sloppy at times. Just needed the second goal to finish the game, a shame we had to wait nervously so long.

Motm... for the second PL match in a row I will say Ivanovic. Just so good.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 15, 2012
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.