The Chelsea F.C. Society II watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colbert)
    Talking about Champions League.
    Ah, yeah. My bad.

ReputationRep:
    It wouldn't cost that much, it's mainly the squad players who need improvements. The only first team positions required are right back, right wing and possibly a Lampard replacement.

The understudies of dubious quality such as Ferreira, Mikel, Kalou etc aren't really up to scratch compared with who Arsenal, United, City or even Spurs can haul off the bench.
    I think we need a couple of exciting wingers, maybe one that can play just off a forward too.

Ferreira is okay, Mikel is excellent and isn't an understudy and Kalou is decent too.

It's the first team that haven't been performing, and even if we had a better squad as a whole, would Carlo use them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cfc1992)
    I think we need a couple of exciting wingers, maybe one that can play just off a forward too.

Ferreira is okay, Mikel is excellent and isn't an understudy and Kalou is decent too.

It's the first team that haven't been performing, and even if we had a better squad as a whole, would Carlo use them?
    Suggesting it's time for Carlo to go?

Who could replace him though?

ReputationRep:

You mean like a David Silva type? Would probably have that guy playing a Lampard role plus two wingers all supporting Torres. I guess getting the best from Torres will be a priority next season so shaping a team around him similar to what Liverpool did wouldn't be a bad strategy to employ.

As for squad players: Ferriera is terrible, Mikel should be an understudy and Kalou is no better than mediocre. Look at the options the other top sides have available and contrast them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iRush)
    Suggesting it's time for Carlo to go?

Who could replace him though?
    No not yet. Although our bad run of form started, probably back in November (we didn't play well in October but were still getting results) he hasn't really done much to even try and change things around which is frustrating.

ReputationRep:
    You mean like a David Silva type? Would probably have that guy playing a Lampard role plus two wingers all supporting Torres. I guess getting the best from Torres will be a priority next season so shaping a team around him similar to what Liverpool did wouldn't be a bad strategy to employ.

As for squad players: Ferriera is terrible, Mikel should be an understudy and Kalou is no better than mediocre. Look at the options the other top sides have available and contrast them.
    Yes.. I would also like to see us buy an exciting right winger.

Ferreira isn't that bad. Gets unfair stick. He isn't first choice, but usually does ok when called upon. Mikel shouldn't be an understudy, has been our best CM this season and at times the only good midfielder... did you not see today how after he went off Everton started to control the midfield? Kalou is one of a few players who actually goes forward with pace and his movement is excellent, he's very frustrating on the ball but at least he tries to make things happen, unlike most of our other attacking players, who just slow things down, and making a little pass here or there.

ReputationRep:
    Mikel is around the same level as De Jong and Alex Song, he's one of the best holding mids in the league. Only 23 as well. No chance he should be an understudy.

It will be really hard for Chelsea to get the best out of Torres. I doubt he will ever reach the level he was at in 2007. Liverpool played with a direct, fast, counter-attacking style and his partnership with Gerrard was crucial. The team was built around them two, and it was unlikely anyone else would score the goals. You can even see for Spain - who like to play a short passing game - that Torres just does not fit in. Lampard behind Torres might work, in a 4-2-3-1 formation, but that would mean not playing Anelka and Drogba.

ReputationRep:
    Chelsea :cry:

ReputationRep:
    Yes.. I would also like to see us buy an exciting right winger.

Ferreira isn't that bad. Gets unfair stick. He isn't first choice, but usually does ok when called upon. Mikel shouldn't be an understudy, has been our best CM this season and at times the only good midfielder... did you not see today how after he went off Everton started to control the midfield? Kalou is one of a few players who actually goes forward with pace and his movement is excellent, he's very frustrating on the ball but at least he tries to make things happen, unlike most of our other attacking players, who just slow things down, and making a little pass here or there.
    I didn't see today unfortunately, pesky ESPN I love Essien as a box to box midfielder but I think Chelsea would be better suited with him and Ramires as a double pivot with the David Silva type floating infront. Therefore I see Mikel as an understudy, although as Loulou suggests he is only 23 and will become a force in the future.

(Original post by Louis.)
    Mikel is around the same level as De Jong and Alex Song, he's one of the best holding mids in the league. Only 23 as well. No chance he should be an understudy.
    I'd definitely say he's a step below the two mentioned there in fairness, they are outstanding.

(Original post by Singh_2)
    It will be really hard for Chelsea to get the best out of Torres. I doubt he will ever reach the level he was at in 2007. Liverpool played with a direct, fast, counter-attacking style and his partnership with Gerrard was crucial. The team was built around them two, and it was unlikely anyone else would score the goals. You can even see for Spain - who like to play a short passing game - that Torres just does not fit in. Lampard behind Torres might work, in a 4-2-3-1 formation, but that would mean not playing Anelka and Drogba.
    I think Anelka and Drogba may both be moved on in the summer and replaced with some fresh faces. Roman won't have spent £50million on a player for him not to become the focal point of the club over the next couple of years, so he'll be given all the tools around him that he needs to ensure he gets his 30 goals a season. He's surely too good to flop, comparisons with Sheva mentioned elsewhere are more than a little harsh on him.

I think Anelka and Drogba may both be moved on in the summer and replaced with some fresh faces. Roman won't have spent £50million on a player for him not to become the focal point of the club over the next couple of years, so he'll be given all the tools around him that he needs to ensure he gets his 30 goals a season. He's surely too good to flop, comparisons with Sheva mentioned elsewhere are more than a little harsh on him.
    I agree that there can't be any comparisons with Sheva, as Torres is still a top class striker and will score goals, and is also perfectly suited to this league. What I will say though is that Torres has definitely lost the yard (or2?) of pace and the quick acceleration that he used so effectively in his first season. I really noticed this when Liverpool played Spurs this season. He was through on goal, twice but his pace let him down and Bassong was able to catch up with him. The Torres of old would have put them both away.

It's also rare to see him skinning players nowadays like he did in his first season. Of course there are other aspects to his game, such as his clinical finishing and great movement, but I think he has lost the x factor that made him so special. Injuries have taken their toll, and unfortunately he hasn't been the same after his second knee op.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't see today unfortunately, pesky ESPN I love Essien as a box to box midfielder but I think Chelsea would be better suited with him and Ramires as a double pivot with the David Silva type floating infront. Therefore I see Mikel as an understudy, although as Loulou suggests he is only 23 and will become a force in the future.
    Ramires and Essien as the two CMs in a 4231? Don't think that would really work. Neither are that disciplined and neither are great passers IMO.

Mikel is the ideal modern day defensive midfielder... He could improve defensively in terms of tracking attacking midfielders etc but I am sure he will. He is an excellent passer, hardly ever misplaces one, great strength, makes a load of interceptions and is key to Chelsea controlling the midfield. Also with David Luiz and JT at the back who are both really good going forward, he always slots in well for one of those if they want to go forward.

Mikel and Ramires are definitely part of any future Chels midfield (and any current one IMO) though.

ReputationRep:
    [email protected] CHELSEA. haha

ReputationRep:
    Chelsea are a nasty club

ReputationRep:
    Mikel and Ramires are definitely part of any future Chels midfield (and any current one IMO) though.
    Because he's here already or because he's good enough?

I've not seen him for a while so wondering if he's finding his feet a bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeppasloth)
    Because he's here already or because he's good enough?

I've not seen him for a while so wondering if he's finding his feet a bit.
    Because he's good enough... He isn't the finished product, would like to see him be a bit stronger and more consistent with his passing but he has been excellent in the last couple of months, probably our best player along with the regular performers this season (Cech & Terry).

ReputationRep:
    What flavour crumble is everyone having today?

ReputationRep:
    Likin Ramires now tbh. As cfc said best player in recent games week in week out, he's going forward for us.

Ferreira is good, I like him, reliable when needed at RB. Professional and doesn't complain. Apparently there's a clear out in the summer and its not Ancelotti going.

Drogba, Anelka, Zhirkov, Mikel, Ferreira and Benayoun are on their way out.

Zhirkov - been good when we have played him at LB. Want to see him at Left wing Russian Ronaldinho :coma: Mikel dependable, Ferreira decent back up. Ill let you judge the last 3.

ReputationRep:
    Why would Mikel and Benayoun be on there way out?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 15, 2012
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.