Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Shame you are not going to win the league.

ur Very lucky to win today. Could have/should have lost it.

ReputationRep:
    Chelsea vs Manchester United: Player Ratings

Chelsea made a significant dent in Manchester United’s title ambitions with a 2-1 victory in a pulsating, open game at Stamford Bridge. Wayne Rooney opened the scoring in the first half, during which Chelsea were largely listless. It was the Chelsea of old after the interval, with David Luiz getting the equalizer and then Frank Lampard converting a penalty ten minutes from time after Yuri Zhirkov was brought down in the area by Chris Smalling. Here’s a look at the individual performances:

Chelsea:

Petr Cech(6/10): Had a decent game between the sticks. Not much he could do about the Rooney goal and pulled off a couple of decent saves in the second half.

Branislav Ivanovic(6/10): Was partially at fault for the conceded goal when he failed to close down Rooney thus allowing him space to shoot. Made up for it in the second half though when his header on from Essien’s cross set David Luiz up for the equalizer.

John Terry(6/10): Another solid game in central defence for Captain Fantastic. No major hiccups.

David Luiz(8/10): A brilliant performance by Chelsea’s new Brazilian signing. Was a livewire in central defence and scored a superb equalizing goal.

Ashley Cole(5/10): Largely ineffective, his attempted runs down the left were snuffed out by O’Shea. Was ripped apart as usual by the opposition fans.

Ramirez(6): Looked in danger of being sent off in the first half, earning an early yellow card and tackling recklessly. A much improved performance in the second half.

Michael Essien(5): Was not up to his usual standard, though he did provide the ball which eventually led to the equalizing goal.

Frank Lampard(7): Was Chelsea’s best player on the night apart from Luiz and a bright spark in the insipid first-half performance. Converted the penalty that gave Chelsea 3 precious points.

Florent Malouda(6): Started the game well, but was not his usual self and his performance dipped in the second half.

Nicolas Anelka(5): Went missing for most of the game, linked up well with Torres in patches.

Fernando Torres(6): Started off brightly and was involved in some good build-up play with Malouda and Anelka. Failed to score though which will worry Chelsea fans.

Substitutes:

Didier Drogba(5): Didn’t make much of an impact when brought on midway through the second half.

Yuri Zhirkov(6): Earned that all-important penalty when fouled in the box by Smalling. Brought about new energy to the Chelsea performance.

Jose Bosingwa(N/A): Came on as a late substitute for David Luiz and didn’t see much of the ball.

Manchester United:

Edwin Van Der Sar(6/10): Looked solid and assured throughout. Couldn’t do much about either goal conceded.

John O’Shea(7/10): United’s most versatile player, played well at right-back, replacing Rafael Da Silva. Was effective in combating Ashley Cole’s runs down the left flank.

Chris Smalling(5/10): Was having a good game till he brought down Zhirkov in the box to hand Chelsea a match-winning penalty with ten minutes to go.

Nemanja Vidic(5/10): Solid at the back, but dismissed in stoppage time after earning his second yellow card. Will miss the crucial game away at Anfield this season which adds to Alex Ferguson’s defensive problems.

Patrice Evra(6/10): Linked up well with Hernandez in the first half with his surging runs down the left wing. Was effective in defence.

Paul Scholes(5/10): Was his usual busy self without being spectacular.

Darren Fletcher(6/10): Couple of wayward shots on goal notwithstanding, linked up well with the strikers.

Michael Carrick(5/10): Like Scholes, wasn’t spectacular but didn’t have a shocker either, played his part reasonably well.

Nani(6/10): Was much better in the first half than the second half. Set up a really good chance for Rooney in the first half and was all over the place during the entire match.

Javier Hernandez(6/10): Linked up well with Evra in the first half but didn’t create any chances for himself.

Wayne Rooney(8/10): Had an outstanding game. Scored a brilliant goal from outside the area and had a couple of more good chances during the game. He is in amazing form after scoring against both Manchester City as well as Wigan in the previous two games.

Substitutes:

Ryan Giggs(5/10): Broke Bobby Charlton’s record for most appearances for United in an astonishing 20 years of football at the top level. Didn’t have much to do though and was largely un-noticeable.

Fabio(N/A): Replaced Evra late in the game and had nothing much to do apart from a possible chance late in the game

Dmitar Berbatov(N/A): Hardly got any action after coming on as a late substitute.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n1r4v)
    Sort of agree with you except Malouda should be 4/10.
    Definitely. Not his day.

ReputationRep:
    Oh god yes. Luiz. Zhirkov. Ramires.

Oh yes. These three need to start every game, haha. Ramires is improving rapidly... i expect he'll play a major role next season. Luiz :coma: and Zhirkov deserves to start. Malouda has been dog****e.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn-er)

Oh yes. These three need to start every game, haha. Ramires is improving rapidly... i expect he'll play a major role next season. Luiz :coma: and Zhirkov deserves to start. Malouda has been dog****e.
    are my ratings absolute rubbish?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kalaghoda)
    are my ratings absolute rubbish?
    Vidic and Smalling are probs rated a bit harshly. i thought they played well.... although vidic got sent off. O'shea i didnt really notice for ages. thought he was average.

ReputationRep:
    What a night!! Haven't seen the bridge like that for aaages.

First half we were terrible, wave after wave of united attack. The goal was coming. (I have to say I secretly loved rooneys celebration!)

Agree completely about malouda, all he serves to do is slow us down. Luiz and ramires were our best players on the night. Both of them were superb. Have to disagree about drogba. I think he played well, made us more direct and gave us a threat anelka wasn't providing. Good substitutions from ancelotti last night, was impressed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isometrix)
    Props to David Luiz, fantastic goal, fantastic player. Redknapp appropriately described him as a "Carvalho with flair".

But the boy needs to calm down a bit with some of his tackles...seems a little too rash :holmes:
    Well, he wasnt the first, lets just keep it at that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn-er)

I think its unanimous vote. Zhirkov needs to start every game from now on! I love him David Luiz. He's amazing.. :coma:

ReputationRep:

CHEERS, LADS

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand the media sometimes, did they watch the game? UTD didn't dominate the 1st half, they had a good spell in the last 20-25 minutes of the first half which they scored in, we played alot better at the start than them. The 2nd half we definetly did dominate and deserved the victory. Just look at the stats, they don't lie.

ReputationRep:
    I was watching the Champions League final at home last night, and my wife was hoovering up - all of a sudden she accidentally knocked the television........and Didier Drogba fell over!

ReputationRep:
    Didier Drogba struck down by Malaria,

Malaria claims he didn't touch him,

FA to investigate.

ReputationRep:
    :unsure:

ReputationRep:
    People say we were lucky to win it, however were we not denied a fairly good goal early on that was disallowed. Secondly, the man that scored united's first shouldn't have even been playing. This is comeuppance for rooney's elbow.
    We had more shots on goal and on target and forced more corners. When united scored it was their first on target.
    The media need to open their eyes. Yes, we were lucky in some ways, but so were united
    Result was fair

ReputationRep:
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,195...798128,00.html

Right...Good news to some, maybe not soo much for others. Kalooouu

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iRush)
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,195...798128,00.html

Right...Good news to some, maybe not soo much for others. Kalooouu
    Only effective as a sub, can't start. if he can't accept that then maybe he should move on, but i wouldn't mind keeping him.

ReputationRep:
    6 points from the top if we win both our games in hand. ambitious thinking?

ReputationRep:
    It is in your hands though tbf and you do have an easy run in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isometrix)
    6 points from the top if we win both our games in hand. ambitious thinking?
    Yes. I would still be very happy with 4th.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 15, 2012
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.