Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sangha236)
    If that was the case it was better off he just got sent off. Least we had a chance to save the penalty. Though odds were against us. Skrew it. It's happened. Like you said, a lot of maybes. Liverpool went on to win with a classic comeback in the final. Which was great to watch. Kudos to Liverpool. It's conceding btw.

All fans want their teams to do well but skrew it. Wait for next year now.
    Its 'screw' :fyi: Prick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mess.)
    Its 'screw' :fyi: Prick.
    Crap. I'll let you have that one. It's 'It's' :fyi: Prick. :/

ReputationRep:
    It's actually quite refreshing to be knocked out of the CL by the better team on the night as opposed to blaming the ghost goals/sendings off/penalties etc.

We weren't good enough over the 2 legs, but it's been a similar story for us all season, well since November at least.

A lot has been said by the press/fans about Torres misfiring but that isn't the fundamental problem with Chelsea at the moment, there is a distinct lack of attacking confidence that is flowing throughout the side. Time after time we'll get into decent attacking positions yet no one seems to have a clue what to do with it - there are hardly any instances of players running past the last defender or taking defenders on. We're extremely slow with our build up play which allows the defensive side to get 8 men behind the ball which makes it even more difficult for us to penetrate the defense in the first place. This, coupled with the fact the final ball is often being forced (mainly due to the above) makes for extremely frustrating viewing.

Ancelotti made errors last night, obviously the main one was starting Torres but after being at the Wigan game on Saturday I can see why he did it, Torres movement was decent and I thought he had a better game than Drogba did - but at the end of the day Drogba's determination and strength was what we needed against Utd, not Torres' movement. The problem lies with that the current crop of players, due to the lack of creativity (non more so than from Lampard and Malouda) tend to clip the ball up to Torres, and that's not how he plays. Ancelotti's other woeful decision (in my opinion) was taking Alex off and replacing him with Ferraira. Yes, I understand why Alex needed to come off as he was not fully fit, however by putting Ferraira on it was hardly the tactical change needed to score 2 goals in the last 10 minutes of the game (although he did skin Evra twice, which was quite funny). This showed his lack of pragmatism, which has been evident in stages throughout his career at Stamford Bridge (against Utd last week where he took WAY too long to change things, and especially against Inter last year in which he was outclassed tactically by Mourinho). Under Mourinho, we'd have seen Alex come off to be replaced by Benayoun (who should've been on a lot sooner... I'd have had him on before Kalou) with Essien reverting to right back (especially when you consider Nani had been taken off).

Yet despite this, sacking Ancelotti is not the right decision to make - give him another season at least. We need a few changes in personnel and a good pre-season. Even more so of a case when you consider that there aren't actually many out there who would be classed 'good enough' to replace him, I can name 3 managers I'd like to see at Chelsea if he goes - 2 of which are managing the Top 2 in Spain and the other is Mr Hiddink.

Over summer I wouldn't be overly fussed if Malouda/Kalou/Zhirkov/Bosingwa/Ferraira/Turnbull/Hilario all went. Delac could become the replacement GK, Van Aanholt the backup to A. Cole with a new right back needed (seems to be a bit of a problem position this, mainly due to the fact there aren't that many all round quality ones out there!). I'd bring back Sturridge and give him game time and focus on McEachran as the natural replacement for Lampard (who I think may've seen better days...he seems to has lost the ability to play balls forward and doesn't look like he has the energy, lets hope a summer break will sort him out).

Most importantly I'd like to see some attacking wingers and/or a creative midfielder (or give Benayoun more of a chance). Under Mourinho playing 4-3-3 we had a briliant wide attack which created space for the midfield. Now we have no natural wide players (Malouda cuts in way too much, as does Anelka) which makes it a darn sight harder for the midfield to find space. Ramires is often played out at RM which is definitely out of place, he's had a cracking few games and has so much energy (despite the inexperience showed last night), we flopped and looked deflated when he was taken off against Stoke. There's been a lot of talk about Man Utd courting Sneijder, but he's exactly the type of player we need.

Most importantly for Chelsea at the moment is to focus on getting 2nd or 3rd place. Come summer time we should rebuild - but not make the same mistake by flogging out too many experienced players (contrary to what I've said above), as flawed as he was, I think we've actually missed the experience that a certain German brought to our side last year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimi Haze)
    It's actually quite refreshing to be knocked out of the CL by the better team on the night as opposed to blaming the ghost goals/sendings off/penalties etc.

We weren't good enough over the 2 legs, but it's been a similar story for us all season, well since November at least.

A lot has been said by the press/fans about Torres misfiring but that isn't the fundamental problem with Chelsea at the moment, there is a distinct lack of attacking confidence that is flowing throughout the side. Time after time we'll get into decent attacking positions yet no one seems to have a clue what to do with it - there are hardly any instances of players running past the last defender or taking defenders on. We're extremely slow with our build up play which allows the defensive side to get 8 men behind the ball which makes it even more difficult for us to penetrate the defense in the first place. This, coupled with the fact the final ball is often being forced (mainly due to the above) makes for extremely frustrating viewing.

Ancelotti made errors last night, obviously the main one was starting Torres but after being at the Wigan game on Saturday I can see why he did it, Torres movement was decent and I thought he had a better game than Drogba did - but at the end of the day Drogba's determination and strength was what we needed against Utd, not Torres' movement. The problem lies with that the current crop of players, due to the lack of creativity (non more so than from Lampard and Malouda) tend to clip the ball up to Torres, and that's not how he plays. Ancelotti's other woeful decision (in my opinion) was taking Alex off and replacing him with Ferraira. Yes, I understand why Alex needed to come off as he was not fully fit, however by putting Ferraira on it was hardly the tactical change needed to score 2 goals in the last 10 minutes of the game (although he did skin Evra twice, which was quite funny). This showed his lack of pragmatism, which has been evident in stages throughout his career at Stamford Bridge (against Utd last week where he took WAY too long to change things, and especially against Inter last year in which he was outclassed tactically by Mourinho). Under Mourinho, we'd have seen Alex come off to be replaced by Benayoun (who should've been on a lot sooner... I'd have had him on before Kalou) with Essien reverting to right back (especially when you consider Nani had been taken off).

Yet despite this, sacking Ancelotti is not the right decision to make - give him another season at least. We need a few changes in personnel and a good pre-season. Even more so of a case when you consider that there aren't actually many out there who would be classed 'good enough' to replace him, I can name 3 managers I'd like to see at Chelsea if he goes - 2 of which are managing the Top 2 in Spain and the other is Mr Hiddink.

Over summer I wouldn't be overly fussed if Malouda/Kalou/Zhirkov/Bosingwa/Ferraira/Turnbull/Hilario all went. Delac could become the replacement GK, Van Aanholt the backup to A. Cole with a new right back needed (seems to be a bit of a problem position this, mainly due to the fact there aren't that many all round quality ones out there!). I'd bring back Sturridge and give him game time and focus on McEachran as the natural replacement for Lampard (who I think may've seen better days...he seems to has lost the ability to play balls forward and doesn't look like he has the energy, lets hope a summer break will sort him out).

Most importantly I'd like to see some attacking wingers and/or a creative midfielder (or give Benayoun more of a chance). Under Mourinho playing 4-3-3 we had a briliant wide attack which created space for the midfield. Now we have no natural wide players (Malouda cuts in way too much, as does Anelka) which makes it a darn sight harder for the midfield to find space. Ramires is often played out at RM which is definitely out of place, he's had a cracking few games and has so much energy (despite the inexperience showed last night), we flopped and looked deflated when he was taken off against Stoke. There's been a lot of talk about Man Utd courting Sneijder, but he's exactly the type of player we need.

Most importantly for Chelsea at the moment is to focus on getting 2nd or 3rd place. Come summer time we should rebuild - but not make the same mistake by flogging out too many experienced players (contrary to what I've said above), as flawed as he was, I think we've actually missed the experience that a certain German brought to our side last year.
    Well said m8. About the Right Back, Frank Arnesan said about pre Jan transfer window that Chelsea's number defensive transfer target for the summer is Gregory Van der Wiel from Ajax, I would love here. A creative player and a proper wide player or winger (Kakuta?) Of the players you mentioned to leave I would agree except for maybe Paulo Ferreira, perfect professional and he said he wants to see out his current Chelsea contract and then retire, hes excellent back up and does a job when he comes on. So he's the only one of those Id like to see stay, Zhirkov never really got the chance, wouldnt mind him staying, he actually stays wide and crosses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iRush)
    Well said m8. About the Right Back, Frank Arnesan said about pre Jan transfer window that Chelsea's number defensive transfer target for the summer is Gregory Van der Wiel from Ajax, I would love here. A creative player and a proper wide player or winger (Kakuta?) Of the players you mentioned to leave I would agree except for maybe Paulo Ferreira, perfect professional and he said he wants to see out his current Chelsea contract and then retire, hes excellent back up and does a job when he comes on. So he's the only one of those Id like to see stay, Zhirkov never really got the chance, wouldnt mind him staying, he actually stays wide and crosses.
    From what I've seen from Kakuta, he's got the potential there but makes far too many mistakes / wrong decisions at the moment, and I'm not sure he's improved significantly whilst being at Fulham. Loan him out somewhere (Bolton, Coyle seems to do a good job) for a season and bring him through the following year. I can see your point about Ferreira I guess, has been loyal - I just get nervous whenever he starts.

I've seen stuff being mentioned about Van Der Wiel - but it seems like half of Europe is after him so I doubt that'll be cheap. Ideally what I'd like is someone in the mould of Kaka (but not Kaka specifically as he's a bit too old and will be £££) just to provide that cutting edge in midfield. This Piazon we've signed has been given a lot of hype but he won't be ready for a few seasons yet...

What are people's opinions on Neymar? Looks like one hell of a talent and could be very exciting, will be very expensive and I think his inexperience could be a bit of a problem - I'd just be fearing he'd be a Robinho.

Also, ticket prices out for next year - thankfully they've frozen most of the prices apart from the big games (which is unsurprising). Finally, does anyone know how long the Season Ticket waiting list is? Will be living up in London next year and wouldn't half mind one...

ReputationRep:
    From what I've seen from Kakuta, he's got the potential there but makes far too many mistakes / wrong decisions at the moment, and I'm not sure he's improved significantly whilst being at Fulham. Loan him out somewhere (Bolton, Coyle seems to do a good job) for a season and bring him through the following year. I can see your point about Ferreira I guess, has been loyal - I just get nervous whenever he starts.

I've seen stuff being mentioned about Van Der Wiel - but it seems like half of Europe is after him so I doubt that'll be cheap. Ideally what I'd like is someone in the mould of Kaka (but not Kaka specifically as he's a bit too old and will be £££) just to provide that cutting edge in midfield. This Piazon we've signed has been given a lot of hype but he won't be ready for a few seasons yet...

What are people's opinions on Neymar? Looks like one hell of a talent and could be very exciting, will be very expensive and I think his inexperience could be a bit of a problem - I'd just be fearing he'd be a Robinho.

Also, ticket prices out for next year - thankfully they've frozen most of the prices apart from the big games (which is unsurprising). Finally, does anyone know how long the Season Ticket waiting list is? Will be living up in London next year and wouldn't half mind one...
    Kakuta hasn't really developed the way I thought he would, although his talent is undeniable. Like you say, send him out on loan but to somewhere where he will actually play; I might be wrong but wasn't Saturday the first time he has started for Fulham?

The right back situation is definitely a problem position for us, Bosingwa has quite frankly been useless this season. I really like Ivanovic though so just a young back up to him would suit me. There is a lack of right backs out there, and we aren't going to get a good one cheaply.

I love Neymar, he's exactly the sort of player we need I think. If he is a similar sort of character to Robinho, I don't think it would be that much of a problem if we have a strong manager. For example, if SAF managed Robinho, I think he'd be a world beater.

I've got a feeling the season ticket waiting list is quite long, a couple of years I think. (don't take my word for it though.) I've got a season ticket, do you know what they've done to prices? I've got a bad feeling they've put them up...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...arlo-ancelotti

If this is true, then I'll be sad to see Carlo leave, but our from this season has been unforgivable really.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure about the season tickets but this from the independent...

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/f...7-2267923.html

Woop....

ReputationRep:
    should Carlo go?

For his sake?

For ours?

The words mutual consent seem to be in the future

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure how I feel about the game today, not really the match we needed to be honest as WBA are doing reasonably well and seem spirited under Hodgson. Hopefully there'll be some sort of backlash as a reaction to the midweek result. I can't see how Torres will start, Drogba surely has to play - with Ramires out hopefully Mikel will come into the side allowing Essien to push on a bit more - although I can see us missing his energy and work rate.

ReputationRep:
    This could be it...

West Bromwich look so bad at the moment even I could probably score against them (leaving players in marked in the box for a simple inside pass)

I wonder if they'll bring Torres on so he can finally score for Chelsea

ReputationRep:
    Let's hope so. Although I think Drogba's having a stormer.

Bring Torres on at 60mins please Carlo...but leave Didier on!

ReputationRep:
    Great comeback! pressure on Arsenal tomorrow now.

ReputationRep:
    Good performance, Drogba was very good.

4 Words: Benefit of the Doubt... .

ReputationRep:
    Good performance, Drogba was very good.

4 Words: Benefit of the Doubt... .
    Jimi nice to have you back here and so too Iso :P

Benefit of the doubt! Damnit linesman >__> that touch and finish was the Torres of old!

ReputationRep:
    Well played today lads, probs best team I seen at The Hawthorns all season.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers. Was a really good game. You tried to play some decent football too in and around the box so fair play. Was a good away game.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cfc1992)
    Cheers. Was a really good game. You tried to play some decent football too in and around the box so fair play. Was a good away game.
    Also, great away support today as well, singing throughout. Much better than Liverpool fans, they have been the worst set of supporters at the shrine I have seen all season.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iRush)
    Jimi nice to have you back here and so too Iso :P

Benefit of the doubt! Damnit linesman >__> that touch and finish was the Torres of old!
    Thanks and yes, Linesman blatantly just having a laugh with Torres - probably a Scouser at heart! You would've thought he'd feel sorry for him!

Was a decent game to watch, I think we were too overelaborate in the second half and should've really had more but there was always the threat. That Odemwingie is a cracking little player.

ReputationRep:
    Chelsea fans Believe the title is still achievable anything can happen !

ReputationRep:
    Well 2nd position is definitely on the cards now, however insignificant it may seem...

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.