Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimi Haze)
    I don't think how we set up against Spurs worked at all, Drogba was hardly in the game on the right - Torres' contributions were not fantastic either. Mikel played well and Essien had a shocker so it's easy to state that Ramires should come in for Essien whilst Mikel holds his place - however sometimes in the big games its necessary to have the experience and bigger players (i.e. Essien over Ramires).

I think playing 4-4-2 and trying to match Utd would be a bit of an error, although there's no saying they'll play 4-4-2 either given the fact they only realistically need a draw on Sunday whereas we NEED the win. I wouldn't be surprised to see Rooney - Park - Valencia as the front 3 with Giggs/Carrick/Scholes (if he's past his ban) - in which case playing 4-4-2 would be even more stupid given the fact the extra man in midfield would hurt us (especially if it was Giggs...).

I'd got 4-3-3 as it's how we play best, on current form I'd have to go with Drogba - Malouda and Kalou up front, however the only issue there is that Kalou may not track back as well. Then bring on Benayoun and Torres in the second half (and Anelka too) - hopefully to expose a bit of fatigue in the Utd defence given they've got a game midweek too...

Whatever happens, we'll need to play probably the best we have all season to get the result we need at OT. They've not lost at home this year, if we win there it'll be an amazing fete. However let's not forget they've got 2 easy games after (Blackburn away and Blackpool at home) whereas ours are slightly tricker, Newcastle Home and especially Everton away.
    True, I'd love it we went 4-3-3 which is the way we play, but you know Carlo. I would play Malouda-Drogba-Anelka for the experience and the fact that Kalou could and would make an impact on a tiring United side who will have a midweek game. Torres and Benayoun/Zhirkov/Ramires if he doesn't play to come as well. Think we could play well and I think Drogba likes to drift out wide during the latter stages so Anelka off and Torres on could allow Drogba to drift out right and Torres upfront against Vidic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusmerehay)
    Yes, our crumble doesn't even compete with United's epic 1997/98 crumble.

Not at all.
    Our run in wasn't even that bad that season. Back when your side could compete for a title you went on a collosal winning streak iirc and capitalised on the 3 games in hand you had, aided by a couple of poor results but nothing too poor. Losing an 11 point lead has crumble writtten all over it but it doesn't really tell the whole story.

"It can be twisted any way".

Now of course we should have done better but don't try and take your title away as the kings of crumble :pierre:

For all the people wanting Torres to play, i'd certainly prefer him down the middle than Drogba. Keep hoping he'll tear Vidic apart again, despite being completely ineffective the last few times he played against him, and leave Drogba on the right or preferably the bench. :yy: Whilst I don't think he has the best overall record against us in terms of scoring, he did get one at OT that made the game a contest for approximately 20 seconds and you've got a pretty good record against us that Drogba must have contributed to. If you want to play them both down the middle that's fine by me as well, you still look better 4-3-3 imo.

ReputationRep:
    Changing the subject on here slightly to Anchelotti. I wouldn't be surprised if he stays on as manager next season, given his fight back in the title race.

Give him some money for some signings, as I do believe that selling all your experienced players and replacing them with kids was something wrong and what caused you to lose loads of games.

What are your thoughts on this, Chelsea fans?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zionic)
    Changing the subject on here slightly to Anchelotti. I wouldn't be surprised if he stays on as manager next season, given his fight back in the title race.

Give him some money for some signings, as I do believe that selling all your experienced players and replacing them with kids was something wrong and what caused you to lose loads of games.

What are your thoughts on this, Chelsea fans?
    I can't see too many better options available, we really need to bring in some decent wingers and accept that 4-3-3 works best for us. This means only playing one of Drogba and Torres, possibly letting Anelka go for Sturridge to return.

We made a mistake letting Ballack and Carvahlo(although he wanted to leave) go, but not the others; certain players such as McEachran and Bruma have shown they have the talent but Ancelotti has shown little faith in them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by c7.)
    I can't see too many better options available, we really need to bring in some decent wingers and accept that 4-3-3 works best for us. This means only playing one of Drogba and Torres, possibly letting Anelka go for Sturridge to return.

We made a mistake letting Ballack and Carvahlo(although he wanted to leave) go, but not the others; certain players such as McEachran and Bruma have shown they have the talent but Ancelotti has shown little faith in them.
    I think Ancelotti will do better next season that he has this season, he knows the team better and has shown he can get us out of any situation, with some decent money spent on wingers and getting McEachran and Sturridge playing, I think Champions League is possible, but with Man City in the CL next year the league will be tougher than ever, with United, Arsenal and especially Liverpool spending.

Guys I think we've forgotten about one loanee, Michael Mancienne. What do we do with him?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by c7.)

I agree with the comments about Ballack and Carvalho, that added experience may've helped us out when we started to slip. McEachran will be a brilliant player in the end, Bruma, Bertrand and Van Aanholt are the others I'd like to see be included more next year - I'd keep Kakuta out on loan for a bit longer before bringing him back.

I can't see too many better options available managerial wise - Hiddink would be the only one that really cries out but I think Carlo should be given at least another year, especially bearing in mind he did the double last year and Jose never managed that!

We either need to switch to 4-3-3 properly or work on 4-4-2 a lot over summer and buy in some attacking wide players (but also ones that can defend!) and give Drogba/Torres the time together (pre-season) to learn each others game etc. In midfield it's all a tad annoying as we've got 4 very competent central midfielders (Lamps, Essien, Mikel and Ramires) - a decent enough outlet on the left in Malouda/Zhirkov but nothing really on the right - unless we try and play Benayoun there more often which I'd welcome as I really rate him - think his ability to pick out the killer pass and create something is something we've been lacking majorly this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbieC)
    Much as I love you bbz, the only unexpected element was the loss to Birmingham really.

And in the Barca games we can definitely call a spot of injustice. Will never know whether we could have rallied if RVP had stayed on the field after all.

The league was disappointing too, but United have always been more in the driving seat. If they lost out to Chelsea now it would be a crumble, surely?
    F.A.O RobbieCrumble...

It'd be a crumble but not nearly as impressive as Arsenal's crumble this season. I can't see us beating Barca in the CL final, providing we reach the final of course...so to lose in that final wouldn't be a crumble. Would be a crumble if we didn't progress to the final of course.

ReputationRep:
    Howard Webb to ref the game, well, at least Fergie won't get to complain about decisions going against his team this time...

ReputationRep:
    Why did we let Miroslav Stoch leave again? >_>

Edit: On the subject of who should come up next season, think Kakuta should go to Bolton, Coyle could bring out the creativity that he has and make him an awesome player.

ReputationRep:
    Just realised that we have our last game in this seasons home kit against United :P:

ReputationRep:
    Simple answer for Sunday, 4-3-3. If we play Mikel and Drogba we will win, simple as. Mikel can help protect Luiz who is a little too raw at times, whilst allowing Lamps to roam further up the pitch. I'd prefer Ramires to Essien at this moment in time, with Malouda & Kalou on the wing.

Btw, does anyone know why Anelka is so out of favour? Granted he is far from the best player in the team, but if he had played in the last month or so I would prefer him to Kalou on the right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lordzola)
    Simple answer for Sunday, 4-3-3. If we play Mikel and Drogba we will win, simple as. Mikel can help protect Luiz who is a little too raw at times, whilst allowing Lamps to roam further up the pitch. I'd prefer Ramires to Essien at this moment in time, with Malouda & Kalou on the wing.

Btw, does anyone know why Anelka is so out of favour? Granted he is far from the best player in the team, but if he had played in the last month or so I would prefer him to Kalou on the right.
    I'd have the exact same team, not sure about Nico - he's been rather frustrating and hasn't scored in a veeeery long time (dating back before we bought Torres if I'm correct). But does tend to add something every now and again. I guess recently Ancelotti has been favouring Drogba/Torres together in which case it's obvious Anelka/Kalou will make way.

I'd like to see Kalou Malouda Drogba with Mikel Lampard and Essien (purely due to the experience he has over Ramires in such games, despite the fact he's been far form his best either recently). I'd have Ramires, Benayoun and Torres on later on... Pat Nevin wrote an article for BBC about having Torres and Benayoun on at the same time and I completely agree, they seem to link up well each time, Torres seems to come to life a bit more when Yossi is around - and he has that ability to pick the killer pass which I think is lacking within the team (Lampard hasn't been doing it that much recently).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimi Haze)
    I'd have the exact same team, not sure about Nico - he's been rather frustrating and hasn't scored in a veeeery long time (dating back before we bought Torres if I'm correct). But does tend to add something every now and again. I guess recently Ancelotti has been favouring Drogba/Torres together in which case it's obvious Anelka/Kalou will make way.

I'd like to see Kalou Malouda Drogba with Mikel Lampard and Essien (purely due to the experience he has over Ramires in such games, despite the fact he's been far form his best either recently). I'd have Ramires, Benayoun and Torres on later on... Pat Nevin wrote an article for BBC about having Torres and Benayoun on at the same time and I completely agree, they seem to link up well each time, Torres seems to come to life a bit more when Yossi is around - and he has that ability to pick the killer pass which I think is lacking within the team (Lampard hasn't been doing it that much recently).
    You may be right about Essien, I just think Ramires is worth the gamble. Torres has looked good in the last two days but as Carlo has said, it's all about the attitude on Sunday and Drogba should be well up for a tough game. We've got plenty of options from the bench, even lesser-used players like Zhirkov & Alex can be deployed from the bench to help win the game.

I just pray we don't go 4-4-2, it kills Ivanovic & Cole's attacking game completely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lordzola)
    You may be right about Essien, I just think Ramires is worth the gamble. Torres has looked good in the last two days but as Carlo has said, it's all about the attitude on Sunday and Drogba should be well up for a tough game. We've got plenty of options from the bench, even lesser-used players like Zhirkov & Alex can be deployed from the bench to help win the game.

I just pray we don't go 4-4-2, it kills Ivanovic & Cole's attacking game completely.
    against nani and valencia, i'd expect/hope the two of them would be less attacking anyway. it'll be tough!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn-er)
    against nani and valencia, i'd expect/hope the two of them would be less attacking anyway. it'll be tough!
    it wont be both, it will be the same team that beat chelsea in the CL. Giggs, Rooney, Hernandez, Valencia front 4.

I think if Torres plays, Chelsea will not win. Ancelotti said he made a mistake by playing him in the 2nd leg so i think he'll drop him for Sunday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn-er)
    Park Ji Sung and Valencia will play not Nani, he'll come on later I would think, Sir Alex prefers Park recently over Nani.

4-3-3. Drogba, Kalou, Malouda.

Mikel Essien Lampard

Ivanovic, Terry Luiz Cole

Nuff said. Lets pray we win the league!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iRush)
    Park Ji Sung and Valencia will play not Nani, he'll come on later I would think, Sir Alex prefers Park recently over Nani.

4-3-3. Drogba, Kalou, Malouda.

Mikel Essien Lampard

Ivanovic, Terry Luiz Cole

Nuff said. Lets pray we win the league!

ah yesss.

I'm hoping for:

Malouda - Torres - Drogba
    Lampard - Mikel - Ramires
    Cole - Terry - Luiz - Iva

I think the only thing missing from torres's game atm is how he keeps the ball. He gets tackled very very easily. Should do what the drogs does and just bully them aside. Ramires is a bit dodgy, but essien has been poor lately. And we need to be more attacking,so ramires'll do.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by antonfigo)
    I officially LOVE this guy XD

ReputationRep:
    Comonnnnnnnnnnnnn chelseaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaa

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.