Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jermaindefoe)
    great, thanks for taking modric
    Don't mention it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iRush)
    Don't mention it
    "I wish to make it absolutely clear, as I have said previously, that none of our key players will be sold this summer. We are building a team for the future to consistently play at the highest level and retaining quality players is crucial to that.

"In respect of Luka Modric, we are not prepared to sell, at any price, to Chelsea Football Club or any other club.

"We made our stance on this issue abundantly clear in writing to Chelsea. They chose to ignore it and then subsequently made the offer public.

"For the avoidance of any doubt, let me reiterate that we shall not enter into any negotiations whatsoever, with any Club, regarding Luka.

"We now consider this matter closed."

lets hope he means it

ReputationRep:
    "I wish to make it absolutely clear, as I have said previously, that none of our key players will be sold this summer. We are building a team for the future to consistently play at the highest level and retaining quality players is crucial to that.

"In respect of Luka Modric, we are not prepared to sell, at any price, to Chelsea Football Club or any other club.

"We made our stance on this issue abundantly clear in writing to Chelsea. They chose to ignore it and then subsequently made the offer public.

"For the avoidance of any doubt, let me reiterate that we shall not enter into any negotiations whatsoever, with any Club, regarding Luka.

lets hope he means it
    Just sounds like he's bumping up the price...

ReputationRep:

lets hope he means it
    "If somebody comes to the club and the offer is good for me and acceptable to them, then I want to leave," Modric is quoted by the Daily Mail.

"I want to leave Tottenham as friends. I have enjoyed my time there, but now it is right for me to look at another club.

"I have an arrangement with the chairman. When I signed my new contract, he said that, if another club came to sign me, they would consider the offer.

"Chelsea are a big club with an ambitious owner. They have great players and they have ambitions to fight for the title and win the Champions League. I want to stay in London. I am very happy here and so are my family."

ReputationRep:
    chelsea fc <3

I don't doubt that Spurs will sell, but I don't see that Modric is worth the sort of money that it's going to take to get him in. We should be looking at other targets, imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonah Ramone)
    I don't doubt that Spurs will sell, but I don't see that Modric is worth the sort of money that it's going to take to get him in. We should be looking at other targets, imo.
    Any other class creative midfielders in mind that are around 20-30 million? :P

ReputationRep:
    How about not buying one... Give McEachran more chances, hope Lampard and Essien get back to their best, and hope Mikel and Ramires continue improving. We also have Benayoun back, another creative player.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cfc1992)
    How about not buying one... Give McEachran more chances, hope Lampard and Essien get back to their best, and hope Mikel and Ramires continue improving. We also have Benayoun back, another creative player.
    Bro, if we could give Kakuta and Co. more playing time that would be great! But honestly wouldn't mind buying Lakaku.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...-football.html

Seems Modric wants to join Chelsea.

ReputationRep:
    Modric would be a sweet signing.

ReputationRep:
    Heard a rumour today that Essien might be in the transfer of Modric if it goes through. Also heard that we bidded 50m for Sergio Aguero, but it seems quite unrealistic.. I doubt Chelsea would ever let go of Essien unless they were getting a worthy amount from it.

ReputationRep:
    why the **** should we switch essien for modric?essien just hasnt had a good season due to his injury and stuff. 2 years ago essien was our best player.

ReputationRep:
    Chelsea suck. Abramovich can't keep managers for more than a season, and he splashes his cash on useless players like Torres.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ineluctable)
    Chelsea suck. Abramovich can't keep managers for more than a season, and he splashes his cash on useless players like Torres.
    lol a bit late on the bandwagon m8, should have been here months ago when everyone was after us (Y). Hype's over

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wazzup)
    why the **** should we switch essien for modric?essien just hasnt had a good season due to his injury and stuff. 2 years ago essien was our best player.
    Guess we'll see how next season pans out and the players we have. I still think he's pretty good in the central defensive midfield position and he made the most successful passes last season, but it'll be a fight between him and Mikel for that position.

ReputationRep:
    Chelsea suck!

ReputationRep:
    Watching England U21's atm, I actually can't wait to see Danny Sturridge play upfront with Torres or Drogba, he's playing amazingly! Just got the assist and looks dangerous with every attack!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wazzup)
    The thing is there's a chance the injuries have taken the drive out of his game. If his legs go a bit then his engine will go with it, and he doesn't really have the technical attributes to compensate. You see it most obviously with strikers, Owen's pace vanished after too many injuries, there's chance the same is happening with Torres, but it could be happening to Essien. Of course he could turn up next season and be his old self, but i'd be doubtful of that.

With Lampard's legs showing signs of going as well your midfield needs a bit of re-balancing. You used to be able to get away with two primarily defensive players (Makelele/Mikel and Essien) because Lampard was so consistent and effective and bridging the gap between your attack and your midfield, but you can't bank on that for too much longer. I think it's why the energy of Ramires looked so good for you last season. Modric isn't just a better player than Essien, he'd give you a better balance in the squad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louis.)
    The thing is there's a chance the injuries have taken the drive out of his game. If his legs go a bit then his engine will go with it, and he doesn't really have the technical attributes to compensate. You see it most obviously with strikers, Owen's pace vanished after too many injuries, there's chance the same is happening with Torres, but it could be happening to Essien. Of course he could turn up next season and be his old self, but i'd be doubtful of that.

With Lampard's legs showing signs of going as well your midfield needs a bit of re-balancing. You used to be able to get away with two primarily defensive players (Makelele/Mikel and Essien) because Lampard was so consistent and effective and bridging the gap between your attack and your midfield, but you can't bank on that for too much longer. I think it's why the energy of Ramires looked so good for you last season. Modric isn't just a better player than Essien, he'd give you a better balance in the squad.
    He may have a point, last season we lacked energy and when Ramires adapted to his environment he was one our best midfielders for 3 months! His energy is what we need more of, he drove attacks. I still think Lampard can do it for at least another couple of seasons but we're going to need to either groom McEachran to replace him (I think he will be playing a much bigger role next season) or Modric comes in. McEachran's passing is phenomenal, if he could get those killer balls in, he could be devastating. Spurs won't let Modric leave for less than 35-40, which is what Pastore/Sneijder are worth.

Want to see Sturridge and McEachran play bigger roles next season 2 of the best prospect's we have atm.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 15, 2012
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.