Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Jornal de Notícias, Record, & Agência Lusa have *confirmed* that André Villas Boas is to depart Porto for Chelsea

&

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news...cle749878.html

ReputationRep:
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,20876_6997261,00.html

Apparently our new manager is Villas-Boas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Da_hopeful_1)
    Jornal de Notícias, Record, & Agência Lusa have *confirmed* that André Villas Boas is to depart Porto for Chelsea

&

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news...cle749878.html
    Good signing?

ReputationRep:
    So, is Hiddink expected to take up a DoF role?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Da_hopeful_1)
    Good signing?
    He's exactly what Chelsea need aslong as Roman keeps his beak out.

ReputationRep:
    Same age as Drogba and Lampard, he'll find it hard to command respect from the divas at Stamford Bridge.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...4&postcount=27 :nothing:

(Original post by Kevmeister)
    Same age as Drogba and Lampard, he'll find it hard to command respect from the divas at Stamford Bridge.
    There was a lot of talk of a Drogba exit around the end of the season, with the number of strikers they've got I can see it happening which would make the situation a bit easier in that regard.

I've seen Villas Boas and Helton (who's half a year older than him) be questioned about how such a relationship works wrt respect and they both talked about how they had the relationship of 2 good friends and that the respect stemmed from that. I imagine it'll be a lot harder to try and get the same dynamic going at Chelsea for the reason you said, but if he can get it working I can see him being very successful there.

ReputationRep:

I personally think it's a bad signing for both parties. He is one of the best upcoming managers in the game, his career would not benefit from being sacked by The Russian which in all honesty is just an inevitability.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone you want him to bring with you? Falcao is the most hyped one but I don't think you need him, he'd only arrive as a replacement for Drogba so instead of having Torres/Drog playing for one place you'd have Torres/Falcao. You've spent £50mil on Torres, after a summer rest it's worth building a team around him. If Drog goes I don't think he needs replacing, Sturridge, Anelka and possibly Lukaku can provide cover, and...

...Hulk would be an option. Primarily as a winger but he could also play centrally. Definitely more needed than Falcao imo.

I suppose Fernando is another possibility to provide competition for Mikel, especially if Essien ends up going (although that's unlikely).

Who's Porto's regular right back?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L18)
    He's exactly what Chelsea need aslong as Roman keeps his beak out.
    Not much chance of that...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JK.)
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...4&postcount=27 :nothing:

There was a lot of talk of a Drogba exit around the end of the season, with the number of strikers they've got I can see it happening which would make the situation a bit easier in that regard.

I've seen Villas Boas and Helton (who's half a year older than him) be questioned about how such a relationship works wrt respect and they both talked about how they had the relationship of 2 good friends and that the respect stemmed from that. I imagine it'll be a lot harder to try and get the same dynamic going at Chelsea for the reason you said, but if he can get it working I can see him being very successful there.
    It's a whole new ballgame at Chelsea, where players like Lamps and Terry have a direct line to Abramovich. There needs to be a whole rethink of the Chelsea way if AVB is to succeed, he's going to need time, a commodity Chelsea rarely allow at the club.

(Original post by n1r4v)
    Didn't he work with them 04-06?
    I think he was one of Jose's coaches....

(Original post by In2deep)
    I personally think it's a bad signing for both parties. He is one of the best upcoming managers in the game, his career would not benefit from being sacked by The Russian which in all honesty is just an inevitability.
    The past says you're right, and I cannot see it unfolding any other way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louis.)
    Who's Porto's regular right back?
    Sapunaru

ReputationRep:
    He was head scout.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see an issue with respect from the players if he manages well. If the players believe in your methods and you're producing the goods on the pitch then there won't be any/much trouble, however young you are. If they don't then that's a problem...as we saw with Scolari who was pretty experienced and a WC-winning coach.

Let's see how AVB does. If people hype him up as much as they do, then there should be some success. Doesn't help the comparisons with Mourinho by going to Chelsea. He's not that much of a big risk as he can speak English and has worked under Mourinho, though managing is a different thing. Let's see!

ReputationRep:
    It's a whole new ballgame at Chelsea, where players like Lamps and Terry have a direct line to Abramovich. There needs to be a whole rethink of the Chelsea way if AVB is to succeed, he's going to need time, a commodity Chelsea rarely allow at the club.

The past says you're right, and I cannot see it unfolding any other way.
    They're the exact sort of players I imagine he'd target as ones to get on side though, those are the players that the younger lot look up to so if he gets pally with them in a José-esc way, you'd think the younger lot would respect him too allowing things to fall into place a bit more easily. Obviously that's massively oversimplifying and like you say he will need time, but given just how much of an immediate impact he's had both times in Portugal, I think it's doable.

He was chief scout iirc, I know Nirav linked a scouting report he'd done on Newcastle whilst at Chelsea a few months back. I think he wanted to be on the coaching staff but José said no so he moved elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    SSN just did a little profile on him. Managed the British Virgin Islands aged 21 and didn't tell them his age until he left :sogood:

Such a wum tbf. Love him already :gah:

ReputationRep:
    No offence to Chelsea fans, but why the hell would you take the Chelsea job, especially at such a young age when he is forging his managerial career. Surely it can't be money, to be considered you have to be fairly good. I suppose if he can come in win, and then walk away he looks pretty amazing.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you can lose as Chelsea coach. All the managers who have felt the wrath of Roman came away with their reputations intact, sympathy from the press and a great pay packet to walk away with.

If he hates it after one season he can just stroll over to Barcelona and take Pep's empty chair.

ReputationRep:
    So AVB as head coach and Guus Hiddink as the Sporting Director? Sounds like a good combo tbh!

This rumour has come out of the blue though I must say, after weeks of speculation with Hiddink. Ron Gourlay said a week ago a new manager would be announced within 1-2 weeks, so an appointment should be announced soon.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not too sure.. I'm glad that we've got a new manager, but I'm not too sure about AVB because he's quite inexperienced in my opinion. But that being said, his record does look impressive and it seems that he has got the job done in Portugal, but managing in the EPL is a different story..

So it'll be interesting to see how it pans out, that being said Guus will still be involved and he has the respect of the Chelsea players. So Guus can probably sort out any problems within the Chelsea team if they occur and help Boas where possible. Seems promising though.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.