Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Do what Mourinho has, and push your most physical defender into midfield - Alex. He'd break some legs and has a great long shot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cfc1992)
    David Luiz defensive midfield? I'm not sure.. I really like Mikel there.
    Judging by the way he wanders all over the pitch, I imagine he'd be quite comfortable playing further up. I'm not a big fan of Mikel tbh. I prefer seeing McEachran in the DM position over him. McEachran is positive and tries to pass the ball forwards, while Mikel - and I guess this IS his job - just settles and slows the game down. Being that slow and aimless is what cost us the league last season. Everything was just aimless. God, I remember watching us struggling to take throw-ins because no-one could be bothered to move around and lose their markers quickly. The faster we play, the better tbh.

(Original post by Kevmeister)
    Do what Mourinho has, and push your most physical defender into midfield - Alex. He'd break some legs and has a great long shot.
    Hah. That could work. Him and his cannonball-like free kicks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn-er)
    Judging by the way he wanders all over the pitch, I imagine he'd be quite comfortable playing further up. I'm not a big fan of Mikel tbh. I prefer seeing McEachran in the DM position over him. McEachran is positive and tries to pass the ball forwards, while Mikel - and I guess this IS his job - just settles and slows the game down. Being that slow and aimless is what cost us the league last season. Everything was just aimless. God, I remember watching us struggling to take throw-ins because no-one could be bothered to move around and lose their markers quickly. The faster we play, the better tbh.
    Defensive midfield is still a very disciplined position though, if Luiz moved further up he wouldn't suddenly have a license to roam around the field as much as he wants to. He's a CB and will be a CB this season unless we are in desperate need of a defensive midfielder (even then Lampard and McEachran as you say have proved good in a more defensive role in pre season).

You will only see the best out of McEachran if you play him in a higher up role though, at least as one of the two CMs in a 4-3-3. Mikel's strength and defensive ability is far greater than McEachran's and he also helps us control a midfield. Not so sure about him being aimless, slow, yes at times. There were some performances of his though, Tottenham at home springs to mind where he was really positive going forward and I'd like to see more of that. He just gives our midfield much more balance and helps us keep possession.

Agree the team needs to be a lot quicker going forward, although that's down to the players around Mikel too just as much.

ReputationRep:
    I thought Mikel was one of the more better players for us last season. I prefer him holding the midfield than Luiz. The great thing with playing Luiz at CB and Mikel at DM is that Mikel can always drop back to allow Luiz to go on a run forward. They compliment each other very well. Mikel has adapted his game to sitting back most of the time, he wouldn't suit say Yaya Toure's style of charging forwards. When he sits deep I remember him playing some of the most amazing long balls to those up front, and imo he should definitely keep that style, saves us getting trounced on the counter too.

I think it will only be Mikel and Romeu as candidates for DM, McEachran will want to play higher up in the midfield.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isometrix)
    I thought Mikel was one of the more better players for us last season. I prefer him holding the midfield than Luiz. The great thing with playing Luiz at CB and Mikel at DM is that Mikel can always drop back to allow Luiz to go on a run forward. They compliment each other very well. Mikel has adapted his game to sitting back most of the time, he wouldn't suit say Yaya Toure's style of charging forwards. When he sits deep I remember him playing some of the most amazing long balls to those up front, and imo he should definitely keep that style, saves us getting trounced on the counter too.

I think it will only be Mikel and Romeu as candidates for DM, McEachran will want to play higher up in the midfield.
    (Original post by cfc1992)
    You will only see the best out of McEachran if you play him in a higher up role though, at least as one of the two CMs in a 4-3-3. Mikel's strength and defensive ability is far greater than McEachran's and he also helps us control a midfield. Not so sure about him being aimless, slow, yes at times. There were some performances of his though, Tottenham at home springs to mind where he was really positive going forward and I'd like to see more of that. He just gives our midfield much more balance and helps us keep possession.

Well said. McEachran will mainly be used higher up the pitch and I think AVB has hinted that. He praised his performance against Villa in Hong Kong when he played at CM, so I think Romeu and Mikel will play the DM role and I think AVB said that Lampard may have to slot in at DM which would still allow McEachran to break forwards, so either way McEachran will be higher playing through balls.

ReputationRep:
    Romeu would go DM instead, though he is a central defender. I'm a bit annoyed by this deal, because likelyhood is that we won't get his best years and we're just developing him so that he can become good cover for busquetts or replace him. Nevertheless he's still got bags of potential and can make a good instant impact.

ReputationRep:
    Alex reminds me a lot like pepe. Bald head too and can speak portuguese.

ReputationRep:
    QPR getting a thrashing on the first day trollololol

ReputationRep:
    So happy QPR were pumped.

Predict a 4-0 win for you lot.

ReputationRep:
    Right, Stoke today lads! Predictions? 1-1 or 2-1 to us imo, Delap's throw in's are my worry ><. Optimistic scoreline? 3-0 - Torres hattrick :P

GUYS! Our plea has been answered! !!

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,11668_7100706,00.html

He wants 2 more players and guess what one of the positions are? :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iRush)
    Right, Stoke today lads! Predictions? 1-1 or 2-1 to us imo, Delap's throw in's are my worry ><. Optimistic scoreline? 3-0 - Torres hattrick :P

GUYS! Our plea has been answered! !!

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,11668_7100706,00.html

He wants 2 more players and guess what one of the positions are? :P
    I think today will be close. They're good at set pieces (and Delap's throws which are basically like a set piece), so i'm hoping we concentrate on those.

HALLELUJAH! I love you AVB

Spoiler:
    Show
    now go and win today's game :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    Rumours that Torres will start. Got a feeling AVB will get the best out of Torres

ReputationRep:
    Nah, BBC confirms he will start. Malouda-Torres-Kalou - lets do this.

ReputationRep:
    looking forward to people finally getting to see how torres has improved...

ReputationRep:
    Torres easily the best player on the pitch. He's having to work for everything though and getting no goal scoring chances made for him... Lamps is ineffective, same with Malouda and Kalou has been terrible. Wouldnt put Mceachran in now, I can just see him being crippled by shawcross. Benayoun would be good though... just need someone to be effective in midfield

ReputationRep:
    Kalou useless today, completely and totally. Should have been subbed off 15 minutes in.

Torres playing well, just needs the people around him to stop playing so ****ing badly.

ReputationRep:
    Ramires is looking pretty handy at least.

ReputationRep:
    You guys seriously need out and out wingers and at least one playmaker...

ReputationRep:
    agree about the wingers, United have far far better options in young, nani and valencia compared to kalou and malouda and thats the big difference between the 2 teams IMO

ReputationRep:
    yep. Kalou needs to be sold. Lampard was the worst of our midfielders tbh. Can definitely see us bidding for modric again. Looking forward to sturridge coming back.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 15, 2012
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.