Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndersonsBentFoot)
    agree about the wingers, United have far far better options in young, nani and valencia compared to kalou and malouda and thats the big difference between the 2 teams IMO
    agreed, but sturridge does really well on the right, and buying another quality winger will make it difficult for him to progress. Your wingers are ridiculously good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndersonsBentFoot)
    agree about the wingers, United have far far better options in young, nani and valencia compared to kalou and malouda and thats the big difference between the 2 teams IMO
    IMO there's not many teams in the world with better options on the wing than United. It's one of the reasons I can see you absolutely owning West Brom today. Unfortunately, I reckon you guys will win the title fairly comfortably this season.

ReputationRep:
    Lets start with the positives. We bossed most of the game, constantly applied pressure and defended well against their long throws. Torres was excellent today, and Ramires (apart from that stupid shot at the end) and Bosingwa were very good. Torres was unlucky not to get that goal when he looked like he was pulled down in the box, but his link up play was very nice and you could see his confidence growing as he displayed some of his trickery and skills.

Now some negatives. Malouda and Kalou were awful. We need a new winger, simple as. Anelka came on for about 15 mins and did better than them in the whole match. Lampard looked a bit invisible today. Normally we would see him making runs into the box waiting for a cross to come in so he can slot home but didn't see any of that today. Probably an off day for him, but I still think we need a creative midfielder like Modric. Can't really comment on the defence, they did their job well but tbf they weren't tested too much.

ReputationRep:
    Lol the "pulled down in the box" was a dive after he scuffed his shot under pressure from Woodgate. He was however undoubtedly our best player today. Pity Nico and Didier didn't get to start instead of Malouda and Kalou, an absolutely shocking decision from AVB.

Only good cross we saw all day was when Lampard went out right wing for 10 seconds and showed Kalou how its done. Just shows the quality is still within Lamps but he's obviously struggling to grab the game like he used to. Dare I say it.. he's looking a little fat, tbh

Also, Lampard getting taken down in the box was a stonewall penalty. Awful, awful refereeing to miss it.

ReputationRep:
    Drog should be playing instead of Kalou or Malouda, even if it is a bit like square pegs round holes.

ReputationRep:
    Shawcross Terry whatever you wana call it :awesome:

Lampard's still diving

ReputationRep:
    Regarding the dive, Woodgate did have his arm round him but Torres fell down after he scoffed his shot, the cheeky ******* - last resort effort to make up for the fact that he missed. But he was definitely being held back which may have affected his shot. If he went down at the same time as Woodgate had his arm round him then it could have easily been a different decision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn-er)
    Torres easily the best player on the pitch. He's having to work for everything though and getting no goal scoring chances made for him... Lamps is ineffective, same with Malouda and Kalou has been terrible. Wouldnt put Mceachran in now, I can just see him being crippled by shawcross. Benayoun would be good though... just need someone to be effective in midfield
    Agreed.

Is the moment gone where I can still say that Torres was absolutely superb today? :P But he was fantastic, you can tell he's got confidence that dink cross he put in and the runs and dribbling! I can see him doing well against West Brom with a couple goals, deserved one today at least. I thought Kalou was a joke, should have been off after 10 mins. Thank God AVB wants a winger and another midfielder! We need a winger with pace and crossing! Arda Turan we were linked with him a while ago, interestingly enough, AVB mentions Nasri in that press conference so I'm looking forward to see if anything comes off that. I read somewhere that AVB is re inacting his Porto midfield with Lampard's surging runs will be limited a bit and could see it there. Which allows the other midfielder (Ramires) to have a bit of freedom with Mikel being an anchorman and making a back 3 while Ashley Cole and Bosingwa moved up, I love the wing backs today! Just need 2 more players, Modric & Winger will do and we need to sell Kalou or/Not renew his contract. Just stay as a super sub Soloman

ReputationRep:
    Which press conference did AVB mention Nasri in? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mhsc)
    Which press conference did AVB mention Nasri in? :holmes:
    The link I posted earlier? He talks bout Modric not being the only one we can bring in and uses Nasri as an example =o. I think he says this in the pre Stoke pree conference :cool:

ReputationRep:
    torres had a great chance.... unlucky it wasnt converted

i didnt watch the match but i heard chelsea played well, so thats good. come on blues

ReputationRep:
    Oh.. Just read it. ""Not that I'm interested, but you have (Samir) Nasri terminating contract."

Lol, why even bother posting it when he says he's not even interested in him?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mhsc)
    Oh.. Just read it. ""Not that I'm interested, but you have (Samir) Nasri terminating contract."

Lol, why even bother posting it when he says he's not even interested in him?
    Me or the press? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the Torres gif, I couldn't work out what had happened at the time. Had gone from Torres 2 yards out with the ball in front of him, to it being in the keepers hands. Improved performance from last season, work rate & intensity was there in the second half. Alex, Bosingwa, Torres, Ramires were all brilliant, and Mikel was decent in the second half. Looked like a stonewall penalty for a trip on Lampard too, and what a chance for Kalou with the free header.

ReputationRep:
    Bit annoyed at Kalou and Malouda.. Didn't play that great and I don't know why they were playing in the first place. I would of replaced Kalou with Drogba and as for Malouda.. Well I'm just waiting for Sturridge to return. We need a good right winger.

Nonetheless, very happy with Torres performance today and this is only a good sign. Considering that most teams drew this week or struggled to win (except Bolton) I guess I can't really be too disappointed. Thought we should of won with the possession we had though.

ReputationRep:
    Mikel's father is missing, possibly kidnapped. He was told before the game today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevmeister)
    Mikel's father is missing, possibly kidnapped. He was told before the game today.
    Jeez, that's disturbing. Very brave of him to carry on playing. Not having heard from him in 48+ hours is not good news. Hopefully it turns out alright...

ReputationRep:
    Drogbas 'coma to bed eyes' on MotD2 yesterday :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    First match in the job, and already the manager is whining about another team not rolling over and getting beaten. Good grief.

ReputationRep:
    Torres looked really up for it against Stoke, I really thought he'd convert one or two of the chances he got. Was unlucky with the Shawcross ninja tackle but the movement, determination and shooting sense all seem to be there or thereabout. Just what we need.

I'm personally hoping for a new winger before the transfer window closes. Kalou does a decent job, Anelka is more of a striker of course and Malouda is slowly declining in talent. Why didn't we accept the offer that Serie B team stuck in for him? I would've liked Zhirkov to have stayed, he had a hell of a lot of pace to offer down the wing, and had a decent cross too.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 15, 2012
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.