Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M.Duggan)
    I heard McEachran is on 40k a week!! I just can't get my head around how an unknown entity can be on this much. 20k alright but 40k is insane.
    it's a five year contract though, I think. So we won't be renewing it for a while. He is quality though.

Also, this chelsea match has actually put a downer on me! I'm actually bemused. I hated watching that. Hopefully AVB will ring the changes.

Mata - Torres - Sturridge

Mceachran - mikel - Benayoun

Just want some creativity and drive in the team tbh. Agh. Don't think I can bear another match where we're as flat as flat can be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IceWater)
    That 2 million quid a year. More than you'll make in a lifetime. Suck it up son! Isn't he like 17 as well?
    He's 18- He could just quit in a year and live a comfortable life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn-er)
    Brave from AVB to sub Kalou off so quickly.

Lampard is past it. So, so ineffective. Yes, he was great for us, but at 33 really shouldnt be starting our games when we have a more creative player in Benayoun.

I expect the Mata deal to be completed soon, and a crazy bid for Modric coming in, because that match was painful. So so flat.
    Crazy bid will just be rejected. Levy has staked his reputation on Modric staying. Sorry bud. Let's compare the keane and berba situation to that of Modric. First, if you compare the statements below, their similarities are virtually non-existant. In the first case, Levy basically accepted that the two players were on the way out, in the second case he said that there was no way that Modric would leave. Second, Levy did not have the knowledge that selling our two best players would lead to the 2 pt from 8 game disaster start post Keane and Berbatov fiasco. Now that he knows what happens when we let our best players go, he will not want a repeat - EVEN IF THE CONSEQUENCES WILL NOT BE AS SEVERE AS 2 PTS IN 8 GAMES. And Diarra is a DM, not a creative CM so I hate to break it to you lads - but not a replacement. And for those that say "Look Redknapp said he would sell Modric and replace with 4 players" that is nonsense. First, I know for a fact that your chairman thought before the second bid that 'Arry was the only person keeping Modric at Spurs (before the Levy statement). Second, our squad is too large and we need to sell a ton of players, we cannot replace one player with 4 players. Third, your chairman wants a deadline day deal in which we won't have time to strengthen our squad - this is what 'Arry was referring to Levy, and this is exactly what Levy will not allow. ... So sorry, no Modric luck.

Keane and Berbatov statement:

"I have absolutely no wish to sell either player and to date we have not accepted any offer for either. However, when a player's head is turned and their commitment is absent, particularly when they occupy key positions such as that of striker, they become a negative influence in a team dressing room in which they were once a positive addition and influence. This is the situation we now have on our hands, with both Dimitar and Robbie having made it clear that they wish to leave for Manchester Utd and Liverpool respectively. "

Modric Statement:

"I wish to make it absolutely clear, as I have said previously, that none of our key players will be sold this summer. We are building a team for the future to consistently play at the highest level and retaining quality players is crucial to that.

"In respect of Luka Modric, we are not prepared to sell, at any price, to Chelsea Football Club or any other club.

"We made our stance on this issue abundantly clear in writing to Chelsea. They chose to ignore it and then subsequently made the offer public.

"For the avoidance of any doubt, let me reiterate that we shall not enter into any negotiations whatsoever, with any Club, regarding Luka.

"We now consider this matter closed."

ReputationRep:
    YossiBenayoun15 Yossi Benayoun
    Well I hope to give you all some news till wednesday regarding my future..thanks again for all the support!

This was on Yossi's twitter. Think he could in swap with Mata or Modric?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iRush)
    YossiBenayoun15 Yossi Benayoun
    Well I hope to give you all some news till wednesday regarding my future..thanks again for all the support!

This was on Yossi's twitter. Think he could in swap with Mata or Modric?
    Not for Spurs, don't need him.

ReputationRep:
    First win under Villas Boas has to be good, even if the performance wasn't great and we were downright dismal in the first half.

ReputationRep:
    So is this Mata thing actually happening or is it just a rumour? If so, let's hope we manage to get Kalou or Anelka out...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingMessi)
    So is this Mata thing actually happening or is it just a rumour? If so, let's hope we manage to get Kalou or Anelka out...
    In case you didn't notice, Anelka saved us today...

ReputationRep:
    Imo, Anelka still has something to offer with his experience and ability, like what he did today, Kalou on the otherhand needs to go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iRush)
    Imo, Anelka still has something to offer with his experience and ability, like what he did today, Kalou on the otherhand needs to go.
    After the Norwich game, I think it's fair to say that he won't get as many opportunities (if he does stay) since Sturridge will have completed his ban.

ReputationRep:
    Did AVB mention why Kalou got taken off after 1/2 hour?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grape190190)
    In case you didn't notice, Anelka saved us today...
    He was frickin' useless for the majority of the match from where I was sat... even if he did score I still would've left Torres on and stuck Drogba on instead of him. I wasn't impressed by Anelka yesterday, or Kalou - both of them could've been the ones subsitituted for Malouda who actually did do some decent thngs yesterday...for the first time in a while.

It was a bit concerning that Mikel is seemingly our most creative midfielder; Frank had a dire game apart from the last 10 minutes, I think AVB is going to have one hell of a decision to make with regards to him starting. Ramires worked hard but was sloppy at times as well - majority of our midfield was to be fair. The less said about our defence the better, Alex had one of the worst games I've seen him play and Ivanovic came on to steady the ship - I can see him starting at CB next week.

The Mata transfer cannot come quick enough - watching Utd and City and comparing us to them is getting me a little concerned with regards to creativity, speed and penetration (which we desparetly need). Torres played with some spark again yesterday but obviously people are going to point to him not scoring - but if there's no supply...he can't be expected to score a wonder goal each time.

ReputationRep:
    I'm on holiday right now so i'm missing all the gossip

What's this news on Mata? Rumours or substance?

ReputationRep:
    Mata looks to be heading our way according to a statement released by Valencia on their official site:

http://www.valenciacf.com/contenidos...ml?__locale=es

Partially translated:

Valencia has reached an agreement in principle with Chelsea FC for the transfer of the player Juan Manuel Mata

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isometrix)
    I'm on holiday right now so i'm missing all the gossip

What's this news on Mata? Rumours or substance?
    Well AVB has publicly praised him, the Telegraph have said he's expected to sign within a few days and there was a rumour that he was around London on Saturday.

Edit:
    http://www.valenciacf.com/contenidos...ml?__locale=es

Personal terms agreed, needs to complete a medical then he's ours!

ReputationRep:
    Woop!!!

ReputationRep:
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,195...116795,00.html

Hopefully he should be able to participate in the Norwich game!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hemzo)
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,195...116795,00.html

Hopefully he should be able to participate in the Norwich game!
    Because God knows you guys are going to need him to beat Norwich. :rolleyes:

Courtesy of a jealous Spurs fan. At least you won't be getting Modric anytime soon. But congrats on the signing, good buy for now and for the future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dn013)
    Because God knows you guys are going to need him to beat Norwich. :rolleyes:

Courtesy of a jealous Spurs fan. At least you won't be getting Modric anytime soon. But congrats on the signing, good buy for now and for the future.
    I don't understand why Spurs and Redknapp think that this ends our interest in Modric? (I know you're not going to sell him, but still)

I just read Redknapp quoted as saying he thought it was finished then... but Mata is a winger, and we wanted Modric as our creative midfielder? Am I missing something here?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn-er)
    I don't understand why Spurs and Redknapp think that this ends our interest in Modric? (I know you're not going to sell him, but still)

I just read Redknapp quoted as saying he thought it was finished then... but Mata is a winger, and we wanted Modric as our creative midfielder? Am I missing something here?
    Same with why you think us buying Diarra means we are going to get rid of Modric.

Just being hopeful.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.