Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    "I am not," he says, "an old-style winger stuck right out on the wing and limited to running at people and getting crosses in. I like to drop inside and get between the lines. I tend not to try to take people one on one; I believe in movement, interchange and being vertical [incisive]."
    Juan Mata quote. Well, that suggests we may continue to struggle with width... maybe we should quit the modric chase, use mata as our creative player and go for an out and out winger.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn-er)
    Juan Mata quote. Well, that suggests we may continue to struggle with width... maybe we should quit the modric chase, use mata as our creative player and go for an out and out winger.
    I reckon he'll play a similar role to Pedro for Barca, can be stuck out wide and hug the touchline but also pop inside to link up. Him on the right cutting in on his left foot would work well...if he can string a ball through for Torres too that'd be great. Modric to create space for Mata and for him to do likewise for Torres please...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iRush)
    Of all days to finalise my uni stuff I pick today :P

Woohoo Mata! Anelka leaves in a year, Drogba in about 2 years. I forgot to mention Piazon who Ive been wanting to talk about for a few days! :P He's someone I think AVB would look to use come January. I think we're sorting ourselves in terms of the future. Benayoun did say he would mention something about his future by wednesday on his twitter. Maybe a swap deal for Modric already in place and the money will be used to buy Diarra and Adebayour for Spurs, almost a replica of the Torres and Carroll saga that happened with Liverpool?

I'm just happy we beat Arsenal to Mata! :P
    Beating arsenal in the market is pretty easy, the teams can both fork out 25m, but one manager's stubborn while the other knows where to improve.

ReputationRep:
    John Mikel Obi's father has been found. Thoughts as to how relieved he and his family will be.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14623543.stm

ReputationRep:
    Good to hear about Mikel.

Manchester United are ridiculously strong this season. I feel like I need to comfort myself by making up a line-up.

Torres
    Malouda - Mata - Sturridge
    Mikel - Lampard
    A. Cole - Terry - Luiz - Ivanovic

Change of formation suits us now, I think. Can throw on a few more attacking players. Changing from the 433 during the west brom match turned it around. McEachran playing in Lampard's position would be good. Could just dictate play and pass like a beast.

ReputationRep:

Manchester United are ridiculously strong this season. I feel like I need to comfort myself by making up a line-up.

Torres
    Mikel - Lampard

Change of formation suits us now, I think. Can throw on a few more attacking players. Changing from the 433 during the west brom match turned it around. McEachran playing in Lampard's position would be good. Could just dictate play and pass like a beast.
    Do you think Bosingwa will start over ivanovic? Bosingwa can whip in a great cross and at his best can be a right back ashley cole, feel sorry for ivanovic if that happens though, as he was our best defender last season. I feel changing him around with luiz, and keeping alex as backup in an injury crisis like last season would work.

ReputationRep:

Torres
    Mikel - Lampard

If Chelsea are consistant enough till the fifth game, I don't see why we can't beat united, this happened to us last season and we came second, and if you look player for player, we're slightly better. They just have morale from winning the league last season, same thing happened to us and we died down, now ferdinand's out till after the chelsea match, we should have a good chance, remember what liverpool did to them when vidic and ferdinand were out?

ReputationRep:

Torres
    Mikel - Lampard

If Chelsea are consistant enough till the fifth game, I don't see why we can't beat united, this happened to us last season and we came second, and if you look player for player, we're slightly better. They just have morale from winning the league last season, same thing happened to us and we died down, now ferdinand's out till after the chelsea match, we should have a good chance, remember what liverpool did to them when vidic and ferdinand were out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Especially if Mata adapts by then and forms this partnership with Torres playing behind the striker :P

Only thing that worries me about that formation is that Malouda also loves to drop in, so we may have both Mata and Malouda centralish. I don't know what happening with Modric, Redknapp's said he's not gonna be sold, Benayoun's future will be revealed tomorrow...ahh suspense till the last day of the season!

ReputationRep:
    http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/3275/...ajkovic-report

I know it's probably a rumour, but I doubt AVB would get rid of him without putting up a fight since he was impressed by him in our pre-season tour.

ReputationRep:
    Btw, don't know if you guys have seen, but Falcao signed for Athletico Madrid with another Porto player for about 39m

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hemzo)
    http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/3275/...ajkovic-report

I know it's probably a rumour, but I doubt AVB would get rid of him without putting up a fight since he was impressed by him in our pre-season tour.
    I heard this too, I hope not, I really want him to stay! he's really impressed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iRush)
    Especially if Mata adapts by then and forms this partnership with Torres playing behind the striker :P

Only thing that worries me about that formation is that Malouda also loves to drop in, so we may have both Mata and Malouda centralish. I don't know what happening with Modric, Redknapp's said he's not gonna be sold, Benayoun's future will be revealed tomorrow...ahh suspense till the last day of the season!
    Sturridge would also want to go on that strong left foot of his, so he will go central as well, fits the home formation well, since stamford bridge isn't a wide pitch. Giving ashley cole and bosingwa (better attacking than ivanovic and ivanovic alters between RB and CB) space to bomb the wide areas.

ReputationRep:
    That's the thing though, we aren't consistent at all. Our first half performance was so different from our second half performance, and I don't know if AVB can motivate the players like that every time. They should have the drive to perform that well from the very start. And I wouldn't be so sure about our team being better than theirs. Ridiculous depth in the wings, so much so that it allows them to play their youngsters regularly. Smalling, Jones, Fabio/Rafael, Cleverley and Welbeck. We're not in a position where we can do that yet.

Also, why the hell are we going for another leftback? Sky Sports is reporting that we've gone for Alvaro Pereira, Porto's wingback. Why not just spend that money on another quality winger or fund the move for modric? Feel bad for Van Aanholt and Bertrand tbh...

Unless... AVB means to use Mata as our playmaker, and not a winger. Which would leave Malouda/A. Cole on the left. Pereira might provide better width? I don't know. Strange bid though, and since he has a relatively acceptable release clause, I think we're likely to get him.

ReputationRep:
    That's the thing though, we aren't consistent at all. Our first half performance was so different from our second half performance, and I don't know if AVB can motivate the players like that every time. They should have the drive to perform that well from the very start. And I wouldn't be so sure about our team being better than theirs. Ridiculous depth in the wings, so much so that it allows them to play their youngsters regularly. Smalling, Jones, Fabio/Rafael, Cleverley and Welbeck. We're not in a position where we can do that yet.

Also, why the hell are we going for another leftback? Sky Sports is reporting that we've gone for Alvaro Pereira, Porto's wingback. Why not just spend that money on another quality winger or fund the move for modric? Feel bad for Van Aanholt and Bertrand tbh...

Unless... AVB means to use Mata as our playmaker, and not a winger. Which would leave Malouda/A. Cole on the left. Pereira might provide better width? I don't know. Strange bid though, and since he has a relatively acceptable release clause, I think we're likely to get him.
    Alex Ferguson's a smart man, he put all his youngsters on loan last season to give them experience and sold the squad players who didn't have a future to sunderland/newcastle. They have good youth, which we are starting to have with the likes of mceachran, van aalhort, bertrand and sturridge. I would love bolton to loan off bertrand and mceachran, they seem to get the best out of youth players on loan as they did with wilshere and sturridge. Pereira may be a replacement for malouda I think. All in all, we need a little more depth in midfield, which has been sorted by buying romeu and possibly modric hopefully. But our squad is strong enough to win the league. Malouda and mata(from what i've seen) on their day is just as good as nani and young, they have rooney and welbeck/hernandez, but we have lukaku, drogba and torres up front, just as good tbh. Mikel is showing that he's more than good enough for the team, can pass well although he doesn't bomb forward like toure. Our team's more settled than Man City who seem to be able to beat small teams but are unable to beat big teams without tevez. So our main challenge is man united, or liverpool if they're consistant.

ReputationRep:
    Alex Ferguson's a smart man, he put all his youngsters on loan last season to give them experience and sold the squad players who didn't have a future to sunderland/newcastle. They have good youth, which we are starting to have with the likes of mceachran, van aalhort, bertrand and sturridge. I would love bolton to loan off bertrand and mceachran, they seem to get the best out of youth players on loan as they did with wilshere and sturridge. Pereira may be a replacement for malouda I think. All in all, we need a little more depth in midfield, which has been sorted by buying romeu and possibly modric hopefully. But our squad is strong enough to win the league. Malouda and mata(from what i've seen) on their day is just as good as nani and young, they have rooney and welbeck/hernandez, but we have lukaku, drogba and torres up front, just as good tbh. Mikel is showing that he's more than good enough for the team, can pass well although he doesn't bomb forward like toure. Our team's more settled than Man City who seem to be able to beat small teams but are unable to beat big teams without tevez. So our main challenge is man united, or liverpool if they're consistant.
    Hmm, you're starting to sway me a little bit. Hopefully my confidence in the team will be restored after a few more matches. As long as we get good service up to Torres - which he desperately needs, then I think we'll be fine. I was just watching his 'top 20 goals' video on youtube, and it's struck me how often he was put in on goal by his liverpool team mates. I genuinely cannot remember the last time torres was put in on goal by chelsea, either through good crosses or through balls. He's having to come in too deep far, far too often, and by the time he gets past one or two players, there's a load of players in the box pushing him out/tackling him.

Cannot wait till mata comes along and they develop some chemistry. Them working their magic would be a massive help. Is Sturridge available against Norwich? Could end up with a delicious new look front-line.

ReputationRep:
    Ferdinand should be back by then but i'd say the team is far more stronger now than it was against 'Pool last season even without Rio and Vida. Jones has stepped in with ease

Chelsea may look better on paper but until you have all the players playing football convincingly, i'd put money on United. Still time for that to change obviously but United have a hell of a lot of quality to return (Valencia, Fletcher, Park, first choice defence etc)

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, you're starting to sway me a little bit. Hopefully my confidence in the team will be restored after a few more matches. As long as we get good service up to Torres - which he desperately needs, then I think we'll be fine. I was just watching his 'top 20 goals' video on youtube, and it's struck me how often he was put in on goal by his liverpool team mates. I genuinely cannot remember the last time torres was put in on goal by chelsea, either through good crosses or through balls. He's having to come in too deep far, far too often, and by the time he gets past one or two players, there's a load of players in the box pushing him out/tackling him.

Cannot wait till mata comes along and they develop some chemistry. Them working their magic would be a massive help. Is Sturridge available against Norwich? Could end up with a delicious new look front-line.
    While sitting in a plane for 2 hours, I decided to watch match of the day on my iPod and saw the Chelsea game. I realised properly how DEEP Torres was collecting balls nad passing them on! He was at the half way line at times! Mata is just what he needs and as you said if we can switch to a 4-2-3-1, Torres won't have to drop as much if we're playing Mata wide left or down the middle! Through balls, crosses this guy has it all! I was reading that Mata has the 2nd most assists in La Liga after Mesut Ozil, so that's a positive (I know its La Liga but still the stats prove that Torres, Drogba and Lukaku can benefit immensely!)

The whole Benayoun tweet should be revealed today, with him saying that on Wednesday he would reveal something about his future!

ReputationRep:
    Slobodan Rajkovic has signed officially for Hamburg, unfortunate that he couldn't get his permit, but all the best for his future at Hamburg.

Poll
If a uni gives me an unconditional offer they....
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.