Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn-er)
    Apparently McEachran asked for a loan move, but was denied... wouldn't be a bad idea tbh.
    Wouldn't mind him doing a Sturridge and going in January, unless he performs spectacularly. If we don't sign that extra midfielder in 3 days, means he will get more games than normal imo. Why can't in a way he be our creative option?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maccy7)
    Still think 3-1 flattered us.
    It did you were absolutely horrible if your back line plays like that against good finishers you'll be in serious trouble.

ReputationRep:
    Well, that was pleasing, even if we didn't play brilliantly. Not great that we're conceding goals at home to West Brom and Norwich, though.

ReputationRep:
    Think you've been fortunate to have a relatively easy start to the season. Man Utd away from home will be the first real test.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingMessi)
    Well, that was pleasing, even if we didn't play brilliantly. Not great that we're conceding goals at home to West Brom and Norwich, though.
    Yeah, last season that would be a clean sheet, but now we're more attack focused and we're winning, so no more 'boring chelsea' Too bad Cech is unlikely to get the golden glove because of this though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iRush)
    Wouldn't mind him doing a Sturridge and going in January, unless he performs spectacularly. If we don't sign that extra midfielder in 3 days, means he will get more games than normal imo. Why can't in a way he be our creative option?
    He's the best passer we have so this could well be the option.. I think he needs to start in front of Lampard sooner rather than later.

Our defence is so shoddy at the moment, we really need to sort that out ASAP. As for up front, Mata has more creativity in his left foot than the whole team does. As for Torres, he keeps on dropping too deep as he gets frustrated. He needs to be the one running onto such balls but no one is making them so he's having to be he provider himself...Mats and Torres will work....hopefully.

ReputationRep:
    tbh, there is no way we can win the league when you compare us to man city, united and liverpool. this year is tougher than last year and i think we can only just qualify for CL, top 3 finish.
    i am personally slightly concerned for torres, as he is quite injury prone.

(Original post by wazzup)
    tbh, there is no way we can win the league when you compare us to man city, united and liverpool. this year is tougher than last year and i think we can only just qualify for CL, top 3 finish.
    Even I am not this pessimistic. I think the team will produce better performances once AVB gets to grips with the league and the squad - after all, his new signings are coming in in ones and twos and, lest we forget, Torres is still pretty much a new signing given how difficult it was to work him into our system last season. I'm giving it at least until 10 league games before making any rash judgements like saying we'll 'only just qualify for CL'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonah Ramone)
    Even I am not this pessimistic. I think the team will produce better performances once AVB gets to grips with the league and the squad - after all, his new signings are coming in in ones and twos and, lest we forget, Torres is still pretty much a new signing given how difficult it was to work him into our system last season. I'm giving it at least until 10 league games before making any rash judgements like saying we'll 'only just qualify for CL'.
    look at united and city and compare to us. even Liverpool
    is playing better than us. we are barely beating mid teams.Norwich could have won if it wasn't for the penalty

ReputationRep:
    look at united and city and compare to us. even Liverpool
    is playing better than us. we are barely beating mid teams.Norwich could have won if it wasn't for the penalty
    Liverpool have spent £100 million, as have City. One of City's games was against Bolton, and that was a narrow win. United only won courtesy of an OG against West Brom. Liverpool drew at home to Sunderland.

Also, for the record, after three games last season we'd scored more and conceded less than both United and City.

The point is, yes both Manchester teams look unconvincing, but you're deluded if you think that these three performances have been our peak performances for the year, and that these City and United performances will be the norm. We're not favourites, no. And I doubt we'll win the league. Nevertheless, your pessimism smacks of being over-the-top, especially after three games.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonah Ramone)
    This. Let's talk once we're into October. For now, let's just be glad that we've made some investment and are winning with very poor performances.

ReputationRep:
    Liverpool have spent £100 million, as have City. One of City's games was against Bolton, and that was a narrow win. United only won courtesy of an OG against West Brom. Liverpool drew at home to Sunderland.

Also, for the record, after three games last season we'd scored more and conceded less than both United and City.

The point is, yes both Manchester teams look unconvincing, but you're deluded if you think that these three performances have been our peak performances for the year, and that these City and United performances will be the norm. We're not favourites, no. And I doubt we'll win the league. Nevertheless, your pessimism smacks of being over-the-top, especially after three games.
    city and united destroyed the other top London clubs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Think you've been fortunate to have a relatively easy start to the season. Man Utd away from home will be the first real test.
    True, but we can only beat what's in front of us, which we've started doing. Of course, United are (heavy?) favourites for that game, but I wouldn't rule us out - unlike Arsenal, we know how to make a game difficult for a team like Man U. Arsenal don't.

ReputationRep:
    city and united destroyed the other top London clubs
    The point being? Arsenal didn't even resemble a team; they haven't finished with eleven men this season, they've lost their two talismen, they've thrown in players like Jenkinson, Coquelin, Oxalde-Chamberlain et al. against seasoned performers. City were impressive - at least, the score was, but I haven't seen the game. I reiterate that I agree with you that we are unlikely to win the league. But outside the top four? Nah, I think we're safe. Who else is likely to knock us out of it? On this evidence, we'll finish third or fourth, depending on whether Liverpool can maintain their respectable start.

ReputationRep:
    I have to say, both manchester teams have impressed me. Saying that, we did a similar thing to start last season - although, admittedly, that was against weaker opposition.

I can't see Utd crumbling like we did though. So, hopefully, our team clicks like theirs has clicked and we do well. I genuinely think that a change of formation will help us. The 433 really doesn't suit us atm. Leaves the centrebacks exposed after the fullbacks go for a runabout, and Lamps doesn't have the energy he once had. The 4-2-3-1 formation is what's letting both Liverpool, Utd and City express themselves so well.

ReputationRep:
    As I said on the other thread we (Manchester teams) have played teams with an average of 1 point each. United's opponents have shared 1 point between them. My point is neither team has faced an in form side. Then remember we haven't yet played a side like Brum or Blackburn who defend for their lives - we're yet to prove we can cope with that and United have only played one away game in which they weren't that convincing. In my opinion the only things these run of games have proved is;
    - City can now score against decent sides, although they look less solid in doing so
    - Young, Clevery and Welbeck have been integrated well, although De Gea less so
    - Chelsea have other options in Mata and Bosingwa they didn't last season, no real new bad things learnt about the team

We've got off to a good start yes but no-one's got a significant advantage yet imo.

Edit: Oh and I guess we've learnt City won't have a low GD this year

ReputationRep:
    The point being? Arsenal didn't even resemble a team; they haven't finished with eleven men this season, they've lost their two talismen, they've thrown in players like Jenkinson, Coquelin, Oxalde-Chamberlain et al. against seasoned performers. City were impressive - at least, the score was, but I haven't seen the game. I reiterate that I agree with you that we are unlikely to win the league. But outside the top four? Nah, I think we're safe. Who else is likely to knock us out of it? On this evidence, we'll finish third or fourth, depending on whether Liverpool can maintain their respectable start.
    even if they werent the same arsenal as last season, they were still better than half of the team in PL. and they got destroyed!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by warwickorbristol)
    As I said on the other thread we (Manchester teams) have played teams with an average of 1 point each. United's opponents have shared 1 point between them. My point is neither team has faced an in form side. Then remember we haven't yet played a side like Brum or Blackburn who defend for their lives - we're yet to prove we can cope with that and United have only played one away game in which they weren't that convincing. In my opinion the only things these run of games have proved is;
    - City can now score against decent sides, although they look less solid in doing so
    - Chelsea have other options in Mata and Bosingwa they didn't last season, no real new bad things learnt about the team

We've got off to a good start yes but no-one's got a significant advantage yet imo.

(Original post by warwickorbristol)

True, however, Chelsea have not had a real challenge, but we will have impetus from winning these matches, Man united and Man City have depth which we didn't last season, so I don't think they'll crash and burn, however we now have depth in midfield with romeu, mceachran and mata, and a load of depth up front. Torres although he hasn't been scoring is a new player and is back to his good form, Mata will supply him with goals, though it looks like the same old chelsea of last season, no strikers scoring, just midfielders and defense, but if you score you score I guess.
    With the impetus from winning these games even though we're playing crap, we should be at their level by september 24th. Chelsea were favourites last season, but man united won the league, so anything can happen, don't take out liverpool too. On the other hand wolves are strong at the moment, I can see them beating tottenham and making top 10 this season with consistancy since they whooped everyones *** at home.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/...chelsea-report

Apparently he's close to signing.

Final thoughts then?

EDIT: I'm hearing things about Van Der Wiel signing? At least a young right back's linked?

ReputationRep:
    City are in the same situation as we were last year, we were handng out 6-0s in the first few months and we let it slip. They're definitely beatable.

United WEREN'T anything special today in their 8-2 win, they just beat a terribly inexperienced team.

Liverpool certainly can beat anybody on their day but through the course of 38 games I don't see them contending for the title.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 15, 2012
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.