Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ivanovic can play anywhere in the back four as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn-er)
    Luiz can play at LB. :coma:

Luiz - Terry - Alex - Ivanovic

Defensive masterclass!
    We should try that one day for the lulz xD

ReputationRep:
    Except David Luiz is nowhere near as good at Leftback, and hasn't done that position in ageeessss...

Last time he played there was when our clever manager decided to "bulk up" (like you say) the defense and put him at LB in place of Coentrao (-_-).. he was promptly destroyed by Hulk. That leftback position was such a weak link, that our manager was forced to sub in Coentrao at half time and move David Luiz back to CB, at which point, it was already too late.

ReputationRep:
    Mata will surely start tomorrow right? Looks like Drogba will start ahead of Torres. Should catch a glimpse of Meireles too

Exciting times, should be a good test for us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isometrix)
    Mata will surely start tomorrow right? Looks like Drogba will start ahead of Torres. Should catch a glimpse of Meireles too

Drogba is out with a head injury afaik.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Drogba is out with a head injury afaik.
    I think sturridge should play tomorrow, mata can play on the left. Torres shouldn't be subbed at all because it'll ruin his confidence. Lukaku, mceachran and bertrand will be cup players with the occasional prem match if they're facing swansea or blackburn.

ReputationRep:
    Apparantely Sam Hutchinson is back in the fold....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hemzo)
    Seems so, apart from Bertrand, we don't have any back up left backs. On a plus side, Cole doesn't get injured a lot, so we should survive this season unless someone purposely takes out his legs.
    Cole only missed 40 minutes of playing time last season.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isometrix)

Zerf is right. Drogs is out and AVB will try and get him back for United at the least. It SHOULD be Mata - Torres - Strurridge but I have a feeling he'll play Anelka on the right. Meireles will play a bench role imo. Just hope that front 3 starts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iRush)
    Zerf is right. Drogs is out and AVB will try and get him back for United at the least. It SHOULD be Mata - Torres - Strurridge but I have a feeling he'll play Anelka on the right. Meireles will play a bench role imo. Just hope that front 3 starts.
    I think Sturridge should play on the right, and when he's tired malouda/anelka should come on. Kalou however should be sold, quickly and promptly, too many players for the striker/wing position.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iRush)
    I think if torres doesn't get off the mark in this match he should be dropped for the man united game. We can't take chances like we did in the champions league match, if drogba was on we could have been the ones in the final or even win it, not man united. No disrespect to torres' ability, but we need to win the game, we can't magically wait for a miracle hat trick against man united because that isn't going to happen with the team they've got.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    I think if torres doesn't get off the mark in this match he should be dropped for the man united game. We can't take chances like we did in the champions league match, if drogba was on we could have been the ones in the final or even win it, not man united. No disrespect to torres' ability, but we need to win the game, we can't magically wait for a miracle hat trick against man united because that isn't going to happen with the team they've got.
    We can't just keep dropping him, it's only going to make things worse.

I think Torres gets a raw deal a lot of the team, yes he's not at the top of his game but he isn't helped by the lack of creativity behind him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maccy7)
    We can't just keep dropping him, it's only going to make things worse.

I think Torres gets a raw deal a lot of the team, yes he's not at the top of his game but he isn't helped by the lack of creativity behind him.
    I don't think there's a lack of creativity, mata, malouda, lampard, they're all creative, I have a feeling the mata/torres partnership may work. But think about it this way, if torres has a poor game and we lose to united, he'll get booed like last time and his game will get worse, he's a great player, as good as Drogba on his day.
    I think Torres needs to stop going deep, he's not wayne rooney who can muscle off everyone when he goes deep, he should feed off the balls from the playmakers in the team. If lampard was more of an assister like modric then his game would be better, but he is a goalscorer who can pass well.
    The thing is, that with our strike force, there are partnerships, then there's the solo act of people like sturridge. Anelka is the one player who can work with everybody.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there's a lack of creativity, mata, malouda, lampard, they're all creative, I have a feeling the mata/torres partnership may work. But think about it this way, if torres has a poor game and we lose to united, he'll get booed like last time and his game will get worse, he's a great player, as good as Drogba on his day.
    I think Torres needs to stop going deep, he's not wayne rooney who can muscle off everyone when he goes deep, he should feed off the balls from the playmakers in the team. If lampard was more of an assister like modric then his game would be better, but he is a goalscorer who can pass well.
    The thing is, that with our strike force, there are partnerships, then there's the solo act of people like sturridge. Anelka is the one player who can work with everybody.
    It isn't a question of personnel, they can all create on their day but the creativity from midfield since last November has been pretty much non-existent, there is just no penetration or initiative.

I don't recall him getting booed?

:lolwut: I have no idea what your last point is trying to imply...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maccy7)
    It isn't a question of personnel, they can all create on their day but the creativity from midfield since last November has been pretty much non-existent, there is just no penetration or initiative.

I don't recall him getting booed?

:lolwut: I have no idea what your last point is trying to imply...?
    That a partnership needs to flourish for the strikers to work well and score, Torres had the torres/gerrard partnership which was why he scored his goals, most of his goals were assisted by stevie g. We need a person who could do that for torres. Sturridge is the exception as he's a straight up solo act, but the rest of our strike force involves partnerships. Something I just noticed really, it's like there are mini groups in chelsea and it's not a family there like in barcelona and man united where one player can slot in perfectly without changing the style of play.
    Torres didn't get booed in the match, but he was criticized heavily by the media the next day when we lost, that's what I meant sorry.
    I'm not sure what happened with our midfield, because that's also what kept us in the title race last year as they and the defence scored so many goals that our strikers should have scored.

ReputationRep:
    Mata definitely has the creativity and ability, but he's barely played, so we cant say there hasn't been a 'lack'.

There's definitely been a lack. Our midfield is stagnant, with Malouda and Lampard both intent on proving their critics wrong and scoring. I feel bad for Torres... he's had to feed off scraps, and rarely gets more than 60 minutes on the pitch. In those 60 minutes, he tries to do everything himself, with very very poor service. Usually top strikers like Rooney and Van Persie have a fair few clear shots on goal, and missing doesn't seem so bad because eventually, with all the chances they get, they score. Torres must get a couple of shots off at most, and even then it's with 2/3 other defenders in the box.

I agree that he has to stop coming deep, but he'd rarely get the ball. Ramires I can see being the type of player who'd want to pass the ball to him by slipping it past the defender, but he's not so technically gifted - even though I rate him highly...

Either way, having Mata and Sturridge in the starting team will change things. They'll occupy the defenders and Torres will have some space. Torres NEEDS to play, or his already low confidence will be shattered, and we'll really have a shevchenko on our hands. I hope AVB plays him in every game.

ReputationRep:
    Mata definitely has the creativity and ability, but he's barely played, so we cant say there hasn't been a 'lack'.

There's definitely been a lack. Our midfield is stagnant, with Malouda and Lampard both intent on proving their critics wrong and scoring. I feel bad for Torres... he's had to feed off scraps, and rarely gets more than 60 minutes on the pitch. In those 60 minutes, he tries to do everything himself, with very very poor service. Usually top strikers like Rooney and Van Persie have a fair few clear shots on goal, and missing doesn't seem so bad because eventually, with all the chances they get, they score. Torres must get a couple of shots off at most, and even then it's with 2/3 other defenders in the box.

I agree that he has to stop coming deep, but he'd rarely get the ball. Ramires I can see being the type of player who'd want to pass the ball to him by slipping it past the defender, but he's not so technically gifted - even though I rate him highly...

Either way, having Mata and Sturridge in the starting team will change things. They'll occupy the defenders and Torres will have some space. Torres NEEDS to play, or his already low confidence will be shattered, and we'll really have a shevchenko on our hands. I hope AVB plays him in every game.
    You think that sturridge would occupy the defence? I think he'll be more of the goalscorer, from what i've seen he's good on both feet, he's fast, can control the ball and can finish, He's less likely to help torres score because he'll score all the goals. Then again I haven't seen him or torres play a full match together so I don't know how the partnership will work. I think mceachran would be the best player to help torres, he's one of the most unselfish players i've seen, if ramires could pass as well as lampard then it would be great as he can get past players and he's fast and strong.

ReputationRep:
    Exciting line up.

ReputationRep:
    You think that sturridge would occupy the defence? I think he'll be more of the goalscorer, from what i've seen he's good on both feet, he's fast, can control the ball and can finish, He's less likely to help torres score because he'll score all the goals. Then again I haven't seen him or torres play a full match together so I don't know how the partnership will work. I think mceachran would be the best player to help torres, he's one of the most unselfish players i've seen, if ramires could pass as well as lampard then it would be great as he can get past players and he's fast and strong.
    Yeah, i agree having mceachran on the bench would be good. And yah, sturridge would draw defenders exactly because he's an attacking threat.

Ffs at torres being on the bench.

ReputationRep:
    Ffs at torres being on the bench.
    Anelka has a great scoring record against Sunderland and has actually started the season well.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.