Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Chelsea F.C. Society II watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Misquoted is such a crock of ****. Vet the interviews before allowing their release if you are going to be 'misquoted' so often :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mess.)
    Misquoted is such a crock of ****. Vet the interviews before allowing their release if you are going to be 'misquoted' so often :rolleyes:
    That must take a ridiculous amount of effort. The media are particularly gifted at shifting the tone of quotes and manipulating them to make a story.

Dramatic storylines are what they constantly strive for that draws a major response. But again, I wouldnt be disappointed with what Torres has said, because it was absolutely true, and the vast majority of Chelsea fans will have -hopefully - noticed that we've been shockingly slow and stagnant, and that Mata's provided a whole new dimension to the team.

(This whole story would explain why I felt that Malouda wasnt passing to Torres on saturday.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    What an idiot, blaming his luck on other players, only person who isn't that fast in midfield/attack is lampard, anelka isn't slow, neither is drogba and malouda, if he said this, does he want to get hated by fans who have been so patient for him?
    He happily pissed off fans who adored him so I wouldn't put it past him.
    He'll spend another season or two at Chelsea and then move to the Italian league where the pace is a little slower.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn-er)
    That must take a ridiculous amount of effort. The media are particularly gifted at shifting the tone of quotes and manipulating them to make a story.

Dramatic storylines are what they constantly strive for that draws a major response. But again, I wouldnt be disappointed with what Torres has said, because it was absolutely true, and the vast majority of Chelsea fans will have -hopefully - noticed that we've been shockingly slow and stagnant, and that Mata's provided a whole new dimension to the team.

(This whole story would explain why I felt that Malouda wasnt passing to Torres on saturday.)
    Tbf they have that many 'people' surrounding them and I am sure the bigger clubs have 'press people' that the players would never even need to be involved in the vetting process. It is an obvious way of giving a truthful interview but taking none of the responsibility. A cowards speech if ever there was one.

(Not specifically blaming Torres here but every footballer and manager)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    He happily pissed off fans who adored him so I wouldn't put it past him.
    He'll spend another season or two at Chelsea and then move to the Italian league where the pace is a little slower.
    Yup, well he better be scoring goals, because i'm utterly pissed off, i could sell him for free after that. We may be slow, but at least the players can score, the midfielders and defenders have to make up for his lack of goals, Sturridge scores, anelka scores, anelka gets dropped although he's one of our consistant strikers even though he's not a special player like sturridge/drogba and torres just so that torres can get some goals and boost morale. Drogba gets put on the bench and would score if he had playing time. It got to the point last season that we were trying to make him score and that's what you say about the team. The media have blown this out of proportion i'm sure of it, just go and join man city and whine with tevez over a transfer if we're that slow.

ReputationRep:
    I know he should've have said what he did, but he's kind've right - our build up play is awfully slow and it is one of the reasons why he's not been firing at all; his play doesn't suit (or didn't suit) our system. I think every Chelsea fan would like to see him with Mata and Sturridge, coupled with that Meiereles' ability to fire a ball out quickly it could prove successful. Would like to see AVB basically give him a 'just go out there and show me what you've got' talk and pick him for the CL on Tues with Mata and Sturridge.

ReputationRep:
    Yup, well he better be scoring goals, because i'm utterly pissed off, i could sell him for free after that. We may be slow, but at least the players can score, the midfielders and defenders have to make up for his lack of goals, Sturridge scores, anelka scores, anelka gets dropped although he's one of our consistant strikers even though he's not a special player like sturridge/drogba and torres just so that torres can get some goals and boost morale. Drogba gets put on the bench and would score if he had playing time. It got to the point last season that we were trying to make him score and that's what you say about the team. The media have blown this out of proportion i'm sure of it, just go and join man city and whine with tevez over a transfer if we're that slow.
    What a load of nonsense...

Torres just said exactly what everyone already knows. A large part of the reason he couldn't get over his slump in form is because we were playing like ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mhsc)

Torres just said exactly what everyone already knows. A large part of the reason he couldn't get over his slump in form is because we were playing like ****.
    I second this emotion.

ReputationRep:
    Openly criticising your team mates (true or not) via the media is never acceptable in my eyes. Just have to see if he was misinterpreted or not.

I think mhsc and jam277 both make pertinent points. I would expound upon this, but I can't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mhsc)

That's true, but neither is he playing well, doesn't really have a right to complain to the media about why he's not scoring and blame it on other players, that'll make morale worse, I remember one time last season where we finished off a game and we were spending the rest of the game trying to set up torres. We haven't been playing good minus the sunderland game we all know that, but you can't openly criticize your players for being slow. Hopefully Torres comes good and this wasn't a panic buy, but I find these comments extremely disrespectful to players who have brought so much to the team, we all know he was talking about lampard, anelka and malouda but they've brought a lot to our team, it's like someone like nani criticizing gary neville when he was playing poorly last season.
    To be fair though, torres is spot on.

ReputationRep:
    That's true, but neither is he playing well, doesn't really have a right to complain to the media about why he's not scoring and blame it on other players, that'll make morale worse, I remember one time last season where we finished off a game and we were spending the rest of the game trying to set up torres. We haven't been playing good minus the sunderland game we all know that, but you can't openly criticize your players for being slow. Hopefully Torres comes good and this wasn't a panic buy, but I find these comments extremely disrespectful to players who have brought so much to the team, we all know he was talking about lampard, anelka and malouda but they've brought a lot to our team, it's like someone like nani criticizing gary neville when he was playing poorly last season.
    To be fair though, torres is spot on.
    I agree. For someone who's just joined the club last january, and to go and criticise some players who have served the club for several years and brought us so much success is simply unprofessional behaviour. And to do it all behind their backs in such a manner is just disgraceful. And if one of the players he refers to really is Lampard...well thats the vice captain of the team right there, not someone you should be bad mouthing.

Don't get me wrong, i'm still a huge fan of Torres, but at a time like this where he needs as much support as possible from fans and teammates alike, he's not doing himself any favours by coming out with comments like these. I'm just REALLY hoping they've put words in his mouth so we can put this thing to bed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mess.)
    Tbf they have that many 'people' surrounding them and I am sure the bigger clubs have 'press people' that the players would never even need to be involved in the vetting process. It is an obvious way of giving a truthful interview but taking none of the responsibility. A cowards speech if ever there was one.

(Not specifically blaming Torres here but every footballer and manager)
    Comment on the DM article regarding the whole affair:

"I think the translation to english is not good enough (I'm spanish). In the video Torres wants to say that with Mata the Chelsea will be faster in its gameplay, not that their players are slow, he doesn't even say nothing of old players. And faster gameplay is not built with 11 Usain Bolt, so Torres is not offending their team-mates, he is just praising Mata. Just a last note : Iniesta has the faster gameplay, but he is not the fastest player running, he is the fastest player passing and moving the ball. Thaks, sorry for mi english."
    - Rafael, Madrid - Spain, 12/9/2011 19:58
    I'm taking this with a pinch of salt, of course. But I would not be surprised if this was true. The media are a pack of hounds, and they have been highlighting Torres' faults a fair bit since his move.

I wish he'd just be left alone and out of the spotlight to try and get back in the groove. Must be ridiculously stressful for him at the moment.

AVB was far too harsh putting him on just as he subbed out Sturridge and Mata... hoping it works out tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isometrix)
    I agree. For someone who's just joined the club last january, and to go and criticise some players who have served the club for several years and brought us so much success is simply unprofessional behaviour. And to do it all behind their backs in such a manner is just disgraceful. And if one of the players he refers to really is Lampard...well thats the vice captain of the team right there, not someone you should be bad mouthing.

Don't get me wrong, i'm still a huge fan of Torres, but at a time like this where he needs as much support as possible from fans and teammates alike, he's not doing himself any favours by coming out with comments like these. I'm just REALLY hoping they've put words in his mouth so we can put this thing to bed.
    Yup, I hope he didn't say that too, I think we've got a great player in our hands, if he scores he can shut up the doubters. If what he meant was that with mata and sturridge the gameplay would be faster then that's acceptable to say.

ReputationRep:
    Torres has a point. What he said isn't that bad, he's just trying to defend his form, or lack of it.

Oh, and for the couple of utter idiots in this thread, he didn't mean slow, as in pace wise. He meant slow in terms of passing, build up play and generally slow of mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maccy7)
    Torres has a point. What he said isn't that bad, he's just trying to defend his form, or lack of it.

Oh, and for the couple of utter idiots in this thread, he didn't mean slow, as in pace wise. He meant slow in terms of passing, build up play and generally slow of mind.
    I change my stance on torres. I think he meant it as in build up play, as in Mata will bring a new dimension to the team. But they also said that he was taking a swipe at the older players, which I think is disrespectful, maybe I don't think he did and it's the media blowing it out of proportion like they do with the ballotelli stories when he visited a prison with buffon and other players, it would make good news ('50 million pound signing dropped by manager due to criticism of older players')
    Moral of the story, don't judge until you know everything and the media blow things out of proportion, even in spain.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.weaintgotnohistory.com/20...ics-statistics

Great analysis on the Sunderland game.

ReputationRep:
    I've had no internet for days and I missed out on so much D: - will read it all and give my thoughts on the matter's on hand xD. I'm going to miss the Leverkusen cause I'll be on a plane -.- oh well..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UnWise)
    http://www.weaintgotnohistory.com/20...ics-statistics

Great analysis on the Sunderland game.
    Brilliant read. The comparison between Meireles and Mikel was very intriguing :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isometrix)
    Brilliant read. The comparison between Meireles and Mikel was very intriguing :holmes:
    Indeed it was!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 15, 2012
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.