Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't see a front three of Mata, Torres, Ramires working at all. If we did want a more defensive player on the wing then we should go for Malouda. But I am really hoping that Sturridge will keep his place and Anelka will start up top. Would like to see Lukaku on the bench, think he's some one who can really make an impact from the bench.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn-er)

But with those three now, he'll get more chances... which was particularly clear in the Bayer Leverkusen match, where he could've scored loads.
    IS that not the problem though?

His chances to conversion rate for us was frightening.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L18)

But as you have said, the 'Pool team that he thrived in was built around him and Gerrard. They were devastating together. It's only now that the dynamic of Chelsea's squad is changing.... he looked v good the other night. I don't think he'll hit those heights again, but he'll get close. I reckon he'll bag 15 goals this season, easily.

I just hope he doesn't start on Sunday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L18)

That conversion rate will increase rapidly the moment his confidence returns. Naturally, being bereft of chances for a huge number of games means his confidence in his own abilities dips. I was watching Rooney and Van Persie play, and the number of chances they got a game was ridiculous.

Torres, prior to the arrival of Mata/Sturridge/Mereiles must have had 1/2/3 chances a game... any striker would struggle with that.... except messi, but then again, he's suited to coming deep and running around with the ball to fashion his own chances. Torres isnt.

/late

I don't think this is the kind of game that Sturridge should be starting in, tbh. Would like to see Anelka with Mata and he who shall not be named. Anelka's work rate is really good, it's a shame he's not a more naturally creative player. I do agree that a player with a bit more defensive ability may be called in by AVB given Man U's width and pace in attack. Wouldn't be surprised to see Ramires and Lampard start with Mikel either. Would like to see Sturridge and Meireles in the second half though.

ReputationRep:
    How much playing time do you reckon Alex will get this season since Bosingwa looks like the first choice RB ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn-er)
    Torres, prior to the arrival of Mata/Sturridge/Mereiles must have had 1/2/3 chances a game... any striker would struggle with that.... except messi, but then again, he's suited to coming deep and running around with the ball to fashion his own chances. Torres isnt.
    I always thought that was what made Torres so great, he'd only need one chance to make it count. A Liverpool v Villa match comes to mind, a dull and boring 0-0 where neither team were creating chances, in the 90th minute we get a chance and Torres scores winning us the game.

He looked good the other day though, and he plays well against the Mancs (Vidic especially ), so it'll be a good game for him to play.

Depends on the injuries situation. Tbh, I've never really felt that safe with Alex in defence, and I feel worse about Luiz. THAT SAID, after Ivanovic vs Norwich, I'm not so sure about anyone except the big man.

ReputationRep:
    After 5 hours of blunders related to my driving lessons, I'm looking forward to tonight. Going to be a tight game 1-0 could go either way but you can't help but feel that United on current form MAY edge it but I would love to be proved wrong with a stunner from Torres 85th minute via a Mata assist and some pretty build up play that AVB want's us to play.

I can dream can't I? :eyesroll:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n1r4v)
    Will be supporting Chelsea as usual in these games but I have a feeling that United will blow Chelsea away. Predicting 2-0 / 3-1.
    Going for a Utd win too, especially if they score first.

I keep forgetting, which is your team again?

ReputationRep:
    Wasn't it Bolton last season?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n1r4v)
    Last season? It has been since I was 10 but it's only nominal now, I only watched 5 of their games in the whole of the last season so I can hardly be called a fan tbh. Added to the fact I have little free time anymore, I just watch big games now and games of teams I like.
    I know what you mean. I hardly ever have time to go to games. I was at the Bridge twice last season, but i'm hoping to study in London (probably KCL) next year to do a bachelors. If all goes well I may be characterised as a "true" fan for a year

ReputationRep:
    Torres scored!!

ReputationRep:
    Fernando :d:d:d

ReputationRep:
    What a miss

ReputationRep:
    All the confidence from his goal, ruined! AHAHAHAHA

ReputationRep:
    Roman Lukaku from what I've seen looks more like Ade Akinbiyi than Drogba.

At least Drogba had his size trimmed to make him atheletic

Lukaku is all muscle no susbstance

Bit like roadman that goto the gym

ReputationRep:
    LMAO, karma's a ***** isn't it

ReputationRep:
    Unlucky for torres. Edging back to his best... hopefully that miss won't affect him too badly. (pleasepleaseplease.)

Ramires and Sturridge were the weak links today.

Torres. What the actual ****. :facepalm2:

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 15, 2012
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.