Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    'Having been bought by the Premier League club Chelsea in 2004, he was loaned to Dutch team PSV and he won 3 Eredivisie titles with them. Alex finally joined the Chelsea squad in the summer of 2007 after three years on loan to PSV in the Netherlands.' From wikipedia.
    Alex was 24-25 when we stopped loaning him out.
    He couldn't get a work pemit to play for us, so essentially he was a PSV player. He was 26 when he moved to Stamford Bridge, in no way can his situation be compared to McEachran's.

Essentially their player but technically ours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maccy7)
    He couldn't get a work pemit to play for us, so essentially he was a PSV player. He was 26 when he moved to Stamford Bridge, in no way can his situation be compared to McEachran's.
    Didn't realise about the work permit thing, sorry I thought he was just loaned out in general. What I meant was that he was bought young basically and got better over time and then became a first team starter. I'll say it's more like cleverleys situation then. Becoming a first team starter after a bunch of loans.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MAlec)
    McEachran blows Wilshere out if the water, he just hasn't received the same amount of attention because we aren't as desperate as Arsenal in terms of players so they've had no choice but to stick him in every game.
    :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R-KAM)
    :lol:
    Yeah I think he was exaggerating a tad. Wilshere has a lot more experience and is more developed than McEachran. But I can only see them both getting better, and a pretty awesome England midfield partnership in the making.

ReputationRep:
    Seems Lampard is out of the Chelsea midfield now.. New Midfield I'd like to see is Ramires - Meireles - Mikel/Romeu

As for McEachran, he's showing good promise and we should let him play more games in all our competitions. Replace him with Meireles once in a while, his work rate per game is intense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isometrix)
    Yeah I think he was exaggerating a tad. Wilshere has a lot more experience and is more developed than McEachran. But I can only see them both getting better, and a pretty awesome England midfield partnership in the making.
    That is true about the blowing out of the water thing, but I feel that with a bolton loan he'll be seen as good as wilshere at least. Eitherway he'll be like thiago in time. Yet people still say chelsea have no youth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hemzo)
    Seems Lampard is out of the Chelsea midfield now.. New Midfield I'd like to see is Ramires - Meireles - Mikel/Romeu

As for McEachran, he's showing good promise and we should let him play more games in all our competitions. Replace him with Meireles once in a while, his work rate per game is intense.
    Lampard isn't out of the midfield, I think he'll be used for the more important games since he has a knack for scoring goals.

ReputationRep:
    Yet people still say chelsea have no youth.
    As sad as it is to admit, they are right to an extent. It's been a long time since an academy player has sealed a first team spot. I'm confident McEachran will make the grade, and possibly a few others too like Bertrand. Time will tell.

ReputationRep:
    As sad as it is to admit, they are right to an extent. It's been a long time since an academy player has sealed a first team spot. I'm confident McEachran will make the grade, and possibly a few others too like Bertrand. Time will tell.
    Hopefully we can add Courtois and Lukaku at least to those two (admittedly not academy-grown). Also, what's happened to Bruma?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingMessi)
    Hopefully we can add Courtois and Lukaku at least to those two (admittedly not academy-grown). Also, what's happened to Bruma?
    I think Lukaku joined just after he turned 18, so he won't qualify as home-grown.

As for Bruma, dno how he's getting along at Hamburg tbh. He'll probably be loaned out for another few seasons, there's just too much cover at CB.

ReputationRep:
    Not convinced about Bertrand tbh. I think Van Aanholt is the better LB.

Mata - Lukaku - Sturridge

McEachran - Romeu/Mikel - Ramires

Van Aanholt - Luiz - Chalobah - ?

Courtois

Feels flimsy atm. But hopefully that Ulises Davila and Piazon will adapt and end up being quality players.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MAlec)
    McEachran blows Wilshere out if the water, he just hasn't received the same amount of attention because we aren't as desperate as Arsenal in terms of players so they've had no choice but to stick him in every game.
    That's a very bold claim at this stage. To even be comparing Josh to Wilshere at this time is a massive compliment to him. I have never seen Josh dictate a game like Wilshere has which all the great players I know do/did. Obviously Josh has time to do this but Wilshere is doing this right now, and it's not the type of thing I would like to gamble on.

Despite all the above, some of the things I've seen Josh do have simply been sublime, and dare I say it some of the best things I have seen on a football pitch- check out the Youth FA cup vs Villa on Youtube.( where he nuts one of the 2 guys both around him, that was special)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn-er)
    Not convinced about Bertrand tbh. I think Van Aanholt is the better LB.

Mata - Lukaku - Sturridge

McEachran - Romeu/Mikel - Ramires

Van Aanholt - Luiz - Chalobah - ?

Courtois

Feels flimsy atm. But hopefully that Ulises Davila and Piazon will adapt and end up being quality players.
    Hutchinson?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lamps08)
    Hutchinson?
    He retired due to chronic knee injuries and came back for a reserve game. Not sure if he's back for good or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn-er)
    He retired due to chronic knee injuries and came back for a reserve game. Not sure if he's back for good or not.
    He came out of retirement son, played today in a reserves game against Everton.He's also played all off pre-season and few other reserve league games this season, and has played very well indeed. He can clearly manage 90 mins now.

ReputationRep:
    However look at arsenal, they do not have an academy setup, it's only wilshere and ramsey I think, the rest have been bought young like fabregas and nasri. Same for man united, fabio, anderson, cleverley all those 'new fergie fledgings' have been bought from other teams so we can put sturridge and bertrand there.

ReputationRep:
    However look at arsenal, they do not have an academy setup, it's only wilshere and ramsey I think, the rest have been bought young like fabregas and nasri. Same for man united, fabio, anderson, cleverley all those 'new fergie fledgings' have been bought from other teams so we can put sturridge and bertrand there.
    Sorry which team was Cleverley bought from?

Anderson is not considered one of the youngsters. Fabio, Macheda, Rafael, Pogba still came through the academy and through the system at United. that doesn't mean they aren't products of United. It's at United they develop. There's no finer breeding ground for exciting young talent to shine & succeed. Sturridge, as we know, did not do so at Chelsea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndersonsBentFoot)
    Sorry which team was Cleverley bought from?

Anderson is not considered one of the youngsters. Fabio, Macheda, Rafael, Pogba still came through the academy and through the system at United. that doesn't mean they aren't products of United. It's at United they develop. There's no finer breeding ground for exciting young talent to shine & succeed. Sturridge, as we know, did not do so at Chelsea.
    Macheda was bought from lazio, Rafael and fabio were bought from a team when they were 15. Well in that case I can say that cleverley did not develop at united, he was bought from watford I think when he was 17 and developed at wigan, welbeck really shone at sunderland and that's what made them. In terms of actual youth academies not many teams have actually developed players, people will start saying smalling and jones were developed from man united which isn't the case, I'm talking about academy players, not many people use their academy talent. Man united will end up selling macheda anyway since he won't get enough games, then he'll become another giuseppe rossi.
    We don't look at our academy much for sure, look at jack cork and scott sinclair, they could have been pretty good players if they stayed with us and we developed them, at least we've got mceachran now.
    You are right about the breeding ground, I think arsenal are better in that sense, I can see chamberlain becoming a star player, if only arsenal could keep their stars and buy a defence, they would have won the league by now, fab, VP, nasri, Gervinho, Wilshere, Song, Sagna, Sczechny. Players of this calibre can win the league.

ReputationRep:
    Macheda was bought from lazio, Rafael and fabio were bought from a team when they were 15. Well in that case I can say that cleverley did not develop at united, he was bought from watford I think when he was 17 and developed at wigan, welbeck really shone at sunderland and that's what made them. In terms of actual youth academies not many teams have actually developed players, people will start saying smalling and jones were developed from man united which isn't the case, I'm talking about academy players, not many people use their academy talent. Man united will end up selling macheda anyway since he won't get enough games, then he'll become another giuseppe rossi.
    We don't look at our academy much for sure, look at jack cork and scott sinclair, they could have been pretty good players if they stayed with us and we developed them, at least we've got mceachran now.
    You are right about the breeding ground, I think arsenal are better in that sense, I can see chamberlain becoming a star player, if only arsenal could keep their stars and buy a defence, they would have won the league by now, fab, VP, nasri, Gervinho, Wilshere, Song, Sagna, Sczechny. Players of this calibre can win the league.
    :facepalm2:

Cleverley has been with United since he was about 10.

Also, the Welbeck comment is ridiculous, he went on loan for a season to get game time. The years of training from the United coaches he received had no effect on him then is what you're essentially saying?

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 15, 2012
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.