Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    I also forgot about liverpool, they're loaded now.
    :nope: What has been our net spend been since January?

Our owners are worth less than the Sunderland and Stoke owners...

ReputationRep:
    I also forgot about liverpool, they're loaded now.
    I wouldn't worry too much about them. They'll never miss an opportunity to underachieve. And if you believe their fans, they've never been big spenders - Benitez apparently found all his players under a gooseberry bush and Dogleash has done great little bits of business by spunking away the Torres cash on Henderson and Carroll. Not to mention Stuart "better than Ashley Young" Downing.

**EDIT** WTF is a Spurs fan talking about spunking away cash for? We basically sold our team and bought it back a season later at a loss.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maccy7)
    I really like Bertrand, saw him play Birmingham in the PL last season, he was brilliant both going forward and defensively.

There's a reason PVA is the one out on loan...
    Yeah that's true, I honestly think bertrand's good, but it's hard to get a place when your competition is a top 3 left back in the world, It's like davide santon trying to get a place above maicon when they were both at inter, or bojan for messi.

ReputationRep:
    Benitez is actually a funny man, like 50% of his signings were flops, remember babel, riera, ngog, only really good buys were torres, alonso, mascherano and kuyt, I would say lucas but he replaced alonso with him who he originally tried to replace with gareth barry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    I wouldn't worry too much about them. They'll never miss an opportunity to underachieve. And if you believe their fans, they've never been big spenders - Benitez apparently found all his players under a gooseberry bush and Dogleash has done great little bits of business by spunking away the Torres cash on Henderson and Carroll. Not to mention Stuart "better than Ashley Young" Downing.

**EDIT** WTF is a Spurs fan talking about spunking away cash for? We basically sold our team and bought it back a season later at a loss.
    Lol, all teams have their stupid mistakes, man city will soon realise that two first teams doesn't mean you'll win the league (look at real madrid they've failed 3 times in a row and they've changed their whole team besides sergio ramos, pepe and casillas)

ReputationRep:
    :rofl2: This is a terrible discussion :facepalm2:

Benitez must have really got on Chelsea supporters wicks if they are still whining all these years on :rofl2:

ReputationRep:
    Benitez is actually a funny man, like 50% of his signings were flops, remember babel, riera, ngog, only really good buys were torres, alonso, mascherano and kuyt, I would say lucas but he replaced alonso with him who he originally tried to replace with gareth barry.
    Mate, not 50%.

50 players.

He bought a stupid amount of players. Even if you boost your "good" list of Torres, Mascherano, Alonso and Kuyt - (come on - Reina! Garcia?), with some "alright" players - (I thought Insua wasn't as bad as all that, and I thought Skrtel was quite good).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    Mate, not 50%.

50 players.

He bought a stupid amount of players. Even if you boost your "good" list of Torres, Mascherano, Alonso and Kuyt - (come on - Reina! Garcia?), with some "alright" players - (I thought Insua wasn't as bad as all that, and I thought Skrtel was quite good).
    Yeah Reina and Garcia, Skrtel too, I think Agger was bought too, Glen Johnson too.

Jovanovic was just a straight up flop. I really wanna see him manage again, maybe try and relegate man united.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah Reina and Garcia, Skrtel too, I think Agger was bought too, Glen Johnson too.

Jovanovic was just a straight up flop. I really wanna see him manage again, maybe try and relegate man united.
    I wouldn't bet against him being back at Liverpool. It wouldn't shock me if Dogleash does a Kevin Keegan and gets his coat.

ReputationRep:
    I honestly don't know what's happening with liverpool, they're just dodgy, they're a straight up cup team.

ReputationRep:
    Lampard isn't out of the midfield, I think he'll be used for the more important games since he has a knack for scoring goals.
    Sadly, not as much as before. Meireles and Ramires are giving us pace, something we've been needing, Torres criticised our aging squad and since Lampard has been replaced, we've seen Torres score goals. Coincidence? I somehow think not..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hemzo)
    Sadly, not as much as before. Meireles and Ramires are giving us pace, something we've been needing, Torres criticised our aging squad and since Lampard has been replaced, we've seen Torres score goals. Coincidence? I somehow think not..
    You are right, I think lampard still has a lot to offer us though, torres/lampard partnership isn't like torres/gerrard, He does play better with faster players like mata/sturridge/anelka/ramires than he does with lampard for sure though. AVB did say that he doesn't have untouchables in his squad and that any bad performances and they'll be replaced, look at alex e.g. after that howler in the west brom game he's been limited to carling cup appearances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mess.)
    :rofl2: This is a terrible discussion :facepalm2:

Benitez must have really got on Chelsea supporters wicks if they are still whining all these years on :rofl2:
    It's between one Spurs fan and one Chelsea fan, I don't know how this topic came about but I believe we were on about a future Chelsea team lol. I still say David Luiz and Mata can and will be the Captain/Vice Captain, just let them get some more English lessons :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    Mate, not 50%.

50 players.

:eyeball: Stop reading the daily mail tbfh
    On paper, Rafa bought a lot of players but many were youth players. Due to internal politics, he signed them as first team players so he maintained control over the players, rather than putting them as youth signings. Inflates his numbers way more than his actual first team signings.

Torres, Mascherano, Alonso, Kuyt, Reina, Lucas, Agger, Skrtel, Arbeloa, Benayoun and I'm sure there are plenty others who did a decent job and in most cases served their purpose and then were sold on for a profit.

ReputationRep:
    Yup, they could honestly win the title, with mertesacker (say what you want about his pace but he's a great defender for germany) and vermaelen they're as strong as any side on their day, I pity the board, Wenger can only do so much but really his team for the future thing has also lacked too since they can't seem to keep hold of anyone when they're at their peak and they just end up at the likes of man city.
    Exactly. It's such a shame, because their philosophy deserves titles. Ah well. I just hope we coach our players to their potential and then NOT sell them.

ReputationRep:
    Yup, they could honestly win the title, with mertesacker (say what you want about his pace but he's a great defender for germany) and vermaelen they're as strong as any side on their day, I pity the board, Wenger can only do so much but really his team for the future thing has also lacked too since they can't seem to keep hold of anyone when they're at their peak and they just end up at the likes of man city.
    Are Southampton not thinking the same thing now you have Chamberlain and Walcott? Everton now you have Arteta? Feyenoord and Ajax now you have RVP and Verm? Which ever Polish club Chesney came from?

It's hypocritical ****e, the only player you can claim absolute right to is Wilshere and even he was apparently involved with Luton before you came along.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by warwickorbristol)
    Are Southampton not thinking the same thing now you have Chamberlain and Walcott? Everton now you have Arteta? Feyenoord and Ajax now you have RVP and Verm? Which ever Polish club Chesney came from?

It's hypocritical ****e, the only player you can claim absolute right to is Wilshere and even he was apparently involved with Luton before you came along.
    I'm not an arsenal fan mate I'm a chelsea fan. Plus a few pages ago I said this about man united as well and really what was replied was that it's more about the coaching but yes you're right in this sense, every team poaches youngsters except for barcelona basically, Real only had guti, hierro and casillas in recent years. Man united only have cleverley and welbeck. Chelsea only have mceachran. Only Barcelona can grow players and keep hold of them basically.
    I can say that messi isn't a barcelona player since he came from independiente. For chelsea, the only person who's come from our squad is mceachran, not even terry since he was bought from west ham. I agree with you though. This whole youth thing except for barcelona is poaching from academies and good youth setups and using money to coach them to become star players.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iRush)
    It's between one Spurs fan and one Chelsea fan, I don't know how this topic came about but I believe we were on about a future Chelsea team lol. I still say David Luiz and Mata can and will be the Captain/Vice Captain, just let them get some more English lessons :P
    I think mceachran, maybe bertrand if he can hold a starting spot or mata for vice captain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingMessi)
    Exactly. It's such a shame, because their philosophy deserves titles. Ah well. I just hope we coach our players to their potential and then NOT sell them.
    Their philosophy does deserve titles, but they're too scared to dig in their pockets and get quality when it's needed, they bought arteta for 11 million, we bought meireles for 12 million who is a year younger and has played for the likes of porto and would have stayed there if moutinho wasn't signed. He did wheeler deal for mertesacker, who despite his lack of acceleration and agility is still a great defender who plays for arguably the 2nd best national team in the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    :eyeball: Stop reading the daily mail tbfh
    On paper, Rafa bought a lot of players but many were youth players. Due to internal politics, he signed them as first team players so he maintained control over the players, rather than putting them as youth signings. Inflates his numbers way more than his actual first team signings.

Torres, Mascherano, Alonso, Kuyt, Reina, Lucas, Agger, Skrtel, Arbeloa, Benayoun and I'm sure there are plenty others who did a decent job and in most cases served their purpose and then were sold on for a profit.
    That is true, but he did buy a lot of flops and make stupid tactical errors, though a team like this should deserve trophies. His tactical errors include
    1. trying to replace alonso with gareth barry, alonso wasn't happy so he went to RM, they didn't get barry because man city got him, so he used 21 year old lucas to fill the gap of alonso.
    2. Buying aquilani from roma as a playmaker, who flopped that whole season although he did well at juventus the next.
    3. Making liverpool a two man team with a goalkeeper, no gerrard/torres=no win, ronaldo situation at real madrid 2 years ago.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.