Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mastermind`)
    :ditto: Pointed out earlier this season that this high line could cost you. Chelsea don't have the defenders to play a high line and I don't think a high line with rampaging full-backs is a good idea at all in this league, especially in big games. AVB didn't need to change anything defensively. You played right into Arsenal's hands today. A side with genuine pace and a deadly finisher in RVP.
    Exactly, we got countered badly. There's two options well 3, make luiz stay back and cover all the time since he's fast enough as a defender to play a high line, but terry isn't fast enough to cover him and luiz is attack minded so that won't really work,
    2. buy a fast defender in january. Which is unlikely unless we sell alex.
    3. Back to the old system of dropping back deep, I think maybe he should have made the players drop deep after half time, but he's an attack minded coach.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MedicineStuudent)
    VDS - Vidic - Nani - Berba/Hernandez. That's a lineage going straight through the team. Players leading on every part of the pitch. If Vidic is playing well then he can spread confidence to his CB. At the moment your back four has no confidence. If one of them had confidence or form, then Chelsea would not leak five goals and be a better team. At the moment, you only have half a team, an attacking half.
    Because our philosophy is so focused on attack that we don't look at the defence properly which needs to change. Anyway, five players on the united team, their midfield wasn't that good, just Nani really, last season, we had a defence and strike force, the second half when we were just winning games we had a whole team except for the striker and wingers, now we have the exact opposite problem, bad defence and good midfield and strikers, if we sorted out our defence, we'll be in contention for the title.

ReputationRep:
    i think if we want to attack better, we need to use meireles to assist torres as well. i d say use ramires instead of mikel, and meireles for the role previously used by ballack. also give some sticks to sturridge to make him less selfish.dont used bosingwa, need ivanovic as RB

Sturridge needs a wake up call. Suddenly he's first team, hit a couple of goals and now thinks he's unstoppable. Also completely disagree with what someone said a few pages back that in one or two years Sturridge will do what Nani did and become an excellent winger. It won't happen, since like Walcott, he's always going to want to be a striker.

(Original post by jam277)
    Exactly, we got countered badly. There's two options well 3, make luiz stay back and cover all the time since he's fast enough as a defender to play a high line, but terry isn't fast enough to cover him and luiz is attack minded so that won't really work,
    2. buy a fast defender in january. Which is unlikely unless we sell alex.
    3. Back to the old system of dropping back deep, I think maybe he should have made the players drop deep after half time, but he's an attack minded coach.
    We were trying to buy Diego Godin, but idk if he has any pace or not.

ReputationRep:
    we dont need to buy any players. we have more than enough of existing talent. AVB needs a wake up call. playing a high line with bosingwa against good teams is a suicide. its not portugal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonah Ramone)
    Sturridge needs a wake up call. Suddenly he's first team, hit a couple of goals and now thinks he's unstoppable. Also completely disagree with what someone said a few pages back that in one or two years Sturridge will do what Nani did and become an excellent winger. It won't happen, since like Walcott, he's always going to want to be a striker.

We were trying to buy Diego Godin, but idk if he has any pace or not.
    We wanted rolando, from FM he's faster than terry and iva.
    We don't need any players, more than enough strikers, lukaku needs a loan, sturridge needs to sort out his delivery and he'll be a great winger and made into hulk or something and cut inside and use his lethal shooting. At most we need one more left winger, because if mata gets injured, we are screwed since our game solely depends on him.
    However, we need to get rid of malouda, kalou too, shame anelka's leaving though,

Lethal finishing, yeah, like after Lampard's beautiful ball put him through and he USED HIS ONLY FOOT to shoot. Come on, even Ryan Giggs would have hit that one with his right foot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wazzup)
    we dont need to buy any players. we have more than enough of existing talent. AVB needs a wake up call. playing a high line with bosingwa against good teams is a suicide. its not portugal.
    I think we need giovinco, because our game solely depends on mata and his link up with torres and others, if he is injured, we're screwed because our game isn't gonna depend on kalou and malouda(who's not confident enough on the ball and hogs it for too long), I don't think anelka will work as a playmaker on the wing either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonah Ramone)
    Lethal finishing, yeah, like after Lampard's beautiful ball put him through and he USED HIS ONLY FOOT to shoot. Come on, even Ryan Giggs would have hit that one with his right foot.
    That's true, I think sturridge has talent, but poor decision making, hence him hogging the ball and always trying to beat players when he could simply lay it off to a team mate or cross the ball or only using one foot, he can finish with his right, well i saw it in the rangers friendly I think but eitherway my point still stands, he can finish, did you see his goal vs west ham last season when he was at bolton?

ReputationRep:
    Parma is demand the world for Giovinco and having just spent 50m on Torres and with FFP, i doubt Roman will fund it.

Also, what do you guys think of Mcecharan (sp), I feel he could do with a loan spell?

ReputationRep:
    unlucky guys ... horrid defending by both teams but a match to remember for a long time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    Parma is demand the world for Giovinco and having just spent 50m on Torres and with FFP, i doubt Roman will fund it.

Also, what do you guys think of Mcecharan (sp), I feel he could do with a loan spell?
    He definitely could, he really needs one, or I think he will not develop. Maybe a bolton loan.

ReputationRep:
    He definitely could, he really needs one, or I think he will not develop. Maybe a bolton loan.
    Oh God, not bolton otherwise the Wilshere comparison won't stop. Maybe Swansea- you guys must have a good relationship with them and they are hell bent on playing the passing game.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    Oh God, not bolton otherwise the Wilshere comparison won't stop. Maybe Swansea- you guys must have a good relationship with them and they are hell bent on playing the passing game.
    True, but does it matter about the comparisons, but yeah swansea is a good place as well, supplying passes to dyer and sinclair. I don't know what role mceachran plays best in, he could work as a deep lying playmaker or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)

I feel McEachran is ready for the first team now, he's always played very well in any compeition he's made an appearance in for us (PL, CL, Cups), but AVB doesn't seem to like him much, as he's never even on the bench in the PL. So hopefully he'll go out on loan to someone like Swansea in January, and come back ready to go like Sturridge did after his Bolton spell.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what role mceachran plays best in, he could work as a deep lying playmaker or something.
    I've not seen him at all to commnet, just read about him. But like wilshere, I feel he'll end up as an old school box-box midfielder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    I've not seen him at all to commnet, just read about him. But like wilshere, I feel he'll end up as an old school box-box midfielder.
    He's not that type of player, he plays best either sitting behind the striker playing lovely through balls, or sitting in front of the back four dictating play.

ReputationRep:
    How poor was Cech yesterday? Apart from the first they were all very much goalkeeping errors, beaten poorly at his near post by Santos and Walcott, came out too early so was out of his box and took his hands out of play for the 4th, and missed a straight one for the 5th.

Your players have a really bad habit of stopping playing to appeal for or protest against decisions. Mikel did it just before the 1st goal when he should have tracked Gervinho's run, and Cole and Mikel both stopped playing just before Walcott skipped through Terry and Ivanovic.

That Walcott goal really exposed how you don't have a covering CB as well. I don't buy into the absolute necessity of 'aggressor-coverer' partnerships that everyone bangs on about, defending is reactive and dependent on where the attack is coming from, sometimes the 'coverer' has to be aggressive (and vice versa), but this was a rare situation where both CBs were within a couple of yards of each other. Both Terry and Ivanovic were drawn to the ball and attemped to challenge Walcott, and when he went past them there was no one else left. I thought about what would happen in that exact situation if it was against us (Man Utd) and Vidic would have gone for the challenge while Rio covered the ground behind him. Seems strange that all of your CBs are aggressive by instinct.

ReputationRep:
    Why even bother with Sturridge as a winger? He is your best striker. Just buy a real winger ffs.

ReputationRep:
    How do the West London derbies with Fulham and QPR rank with Chelsea fans compared to the London derbies with Arsenal and Tottenham?

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 15, 2012
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.