Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Chelsea F.C. Society II watch

Announcements

(Original post by Louis.)
    How poor was Cech yesterday? Apart from the first they were all very much goalkeeping errors, beaten poorly at his near post by Santos and Walcott, came out too early so was out of his box and took his hands out of play for the 4th, and missed a straight one for the 5th.
    Actually if you look at VP's body positioning on the strike it was all set up to go across the keeper, but you could see it swerve away to the near side. Not so much Cech's fault on that one. But I agee for numbers two and three he could have done a lot better. Even so, the defence should be more culpable than Cech for the first 4 goals.

(Original post by Louis.)
    That Walcott goal really exposed how you don't have a covering CB as well. I don't buy into the absolute necessity of 'aggressor-coverer' partnerships that everyone bangs on about, defending is reactive and dependent on where the attack is coming from, sometimes the 'coverer' has to be aggressive (and vice versa), but this was a rare situation where both CBs were within a couple of yards of each other. Both Terry and Ivanovic were drawn to the ball and attemped to challenge Walcott, and when he went past them there was no one else left. I thought about what would happen in that exact situation if it was against us (Man Utd) and Vidic would have gone for the challenge while Rio covered the ground behind him. Seems strange that all of your CBs are aggressive by instinct.
    Aggressor-coverer? What is this. We just need someone with a bit of pace and better anticipation to play alongside Terry. Hence Gallas - Terry and Carvalho - Terry have been the best partnerships we've had in recent times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonah Ramone)
    Aggressor-coverer? What is this. We just need someone with a bit of pace and better anticipation to play alongside Terry. Hence Gallas - Terry and Carvalho - Terry have been the best partnerships we've had in recent times.
    It's fairly self explanatory, in fact in your solution to your defensive problems you described attributes that make a good covering defender. You have one guy whose instinct is to make challenges, dominate aerially and win the ball, and another who's more happy sitting back and covering for mistakes that inevitably happen with the aggressive style of play. Vidic and Ferdinand and Terry and Carvalho are the most obvious examples from this country. Barca have Puyol/Pique, Madrid have Pepe/Carvalho, etc. It gives more balance to a partnership.

I thought Walcott's goal emphasised that your CBs tend to fall into the first category.

ReputationRep:
    What a fantastic game to goto, where were your fans though? Not one song came out from the home crowd, thats pretty poor. no banter.

ReputationRep:
    Originally Posted by USB

I think 4-0 if our defence holds.

(Original post by Bear_Grylls)
    Yeah.

It wont.
    true facts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonah Ramone)
    Actually if you look at VP's body positioning on the strike it was all set up to go across the keeper, but you could see it swerve away to the near side. Not so much Cech's fault on that one. But I agee for numbers two and three he could have done a lot better. Even so, the defence should be more culpable than Cech for the first 4 goals.

I think that would work, all this terry has lost it is total crap, he's lost pace but has still got the other attributes. I think that he needs an established partner(either alex or ivanovic and luiz becomes a yaya toure style defensive midfielder), we conceded 26 goals in the league last season without carvalho which is a great record compared to 32 the season before with carvalho in defence, so the departure of carvalho didn't cause us to concede loads of goals, plus cech was runner up for the golden glove last year.
    The only reason we lost was because our strikers and wingers were not scoring last season, now it's the exact opposite problem.
    Also, when is essien returning? I think we'll need him soon, but we really need a backup for mata, malouda cannot influence play or dribble like mata, while sturridge isn't the best in decision making.

I don't know if this has been discussed here before, but it's being suggested by some people that Terry didn't actually slip. :holmes: Thoughts? That was my initial thought as well: his feet didn't seem to go from under him in the inexplicable way some sources are reporting - he rather seemed to try and make some sort of an odd lunge at the ball, or perhaps lose balance when in two minds about whether to run at the ball or run in front of van Persie. I don't believe the 'he did it on purpose to avoid losing a pace race' at all, of course, but it didn't look like a slip per se either, you know?

I feel I'm not being especially clear.

ReputationRep:
    hey Chelsea

whats the MATA

didnt u CHEC the score line

u must be TERRYfied.

1 more...

did u CECH the time? IT's 5 past CECH!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gunit123)
    hey Chelsea

whats the MATA

didnt u CHEC the score line

u must be TERRYfied.

1 more...

did u CECH the time? IT's 5 past CECH!!!
    Wow. That was embarrassing for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colonel.)
    Wow. That was embarrassing for you.
    i found it funny

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gunit123)
    i found it funny
    8-2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hdr95)
    8-2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hdr95)
    8-2
    13 league titles

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ano1)
    13 league titles
    POS TEAM P GD PTS
    1 Man City 10 28 28
    2 Man Utd 10 15 23
    3 Newcastle 10 8 22
    4 Chelsea 10 8 19
    5 Tottenham 9 4 19
    6 Liverpool 10 4 18
    7 Arsenal 10 -1 16
    8 Norwich 10 -1 13
    9 Aston Villa 10 0 12
    10 Swansea 10 -3 12
    11 Stoke 10 -6 12
    12 QPR 10 -9 12
    13 West Brom 10 -4 11
    14 Sunderland 10 2 10
    15 Fulham 10 1 10
    16 Everton 9 -3 10
    17 Wolves 10 -8 8
    18 Blackburn 10 -10 6
    19 Bolton 10 -14 6
    20 Wigan 10 -11 5

ReputationRep:
    wow 3 points, give yourself a clap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ano1)
    wow 3 points, give yourself a clap.
    I think I will.

:congrats:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by USB)
    POS TEAM P GD PTS
    1 Man City 10 28 28
    2 Man Utd 10 15 23
    3 Newcastle 10 8 22
    4 Chelsea 10 8 19
    5 Tottenham 9 4 19
    6 Liverpool 10 4 18
    7 Arsenal 10 -1 16
    8 Norwich 10 -1 13
    9 Aston Villa 10 0 12
    10 Swansea 10 -3 12
    11 Stoke 10 -6 12
    12 QPR 10 -9 12
    13 West Brom 10 -4 11
    14 Sunderland 10 2 10
    15 Fulham 10 1 10
    16 Everton 9 -3 10
    17 Wolves 10 -8 8
    18 Blackburn 10 -10 6
    19 Bolton 10 -14 6
    20 Wigan 10 -11 5
    When was the last time arsenal were on top of chelsea in the league table at the end of the season since they last won the league.... oh yeah, that's right.

ReputationRep:
    Hehe catch up boys. :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    Yup, Cech has sure not been at his best this season so far...

From Opta who do football stats:

"46% - Petr Cech has posted the worst saves to shots percentage in the 2011-12 Premier League. Exposed."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JClive)
    Yup, Cech has sure not been at his best this season so far...

From Opta who do football stats:

"46% - Petr Cech has posted the worst saves to shots percentage in the 2011-12 Premier League. Exposed."
    Yeah, he's been poor this season, although I think that he needs a good enough no 2 to challenge him, like lindegaard or something, because turnbull and hilario are absolute ****e. We should have kept cudicini.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    I don't know if this has been discussed here before, but it's being suggested by some people that Terry didn't actually slip. :holmes: Thoughts? That was my initial thought as well: his feet didn't seem to go from under him in the inexplicable way some sources are reporting - he rather seemed to try and make some sort of an odd lunge at the ball, or perhaps lose balance when in two minds about whether to run at the ball or run in front of van Persie. I don't believe the 'he did it on purpose to avoid losing a pace race' at all, of course, but it didn't look like a slip per se either, you know?

I feel I'm not being especially clear.
    When malouda passed it, it was obvious before the slip that terry wouldn't have got it and the same thing would have happened anyway, van persie's faster than him, had a headstart as well, terry wasn't going to catch him, so the goal wasn't his fault since he had to keep the high line.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 15, 2012
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.