Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JClive)
    Hopefully Ivanovic will stay at RB with Alex or Luiz in defence. When we won the double Alex was with Terry at CB so him in front of erratic Luiz.

And Essien will not go to Cup of Nations if he just comes back from injury I am sure...
    Bosingwa did well at the start but he's been a bit poor lately with his defensive lapses, but i think that alex should go with terry as well.
    But luiz should just be converted into a DM already, he can be like song for us, he does like going forward and has a good shot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JClive)
    Hopefully Ivanovic will stay at RB with Alex or Luiz in defence. When we won the double Alex was with Terry at CB so him in front of erratic Luiz.

And Essien will not go to Cup of Nations if he just comes back from injury I am sure...
    Tbrh, I'd start Luiz ahead of Alex. So Luiz can be a liability in defence but he's got pace and if he can just control when to tackle and when not too, he's easily better than Alex. I've never been convinced with Alex and he lacks pace. If we play

Cech
    Ivanovic - Alex - JT - Cole

There's a lack of pace there especially with this high line we play, a quick defender would help cover if the ball is played through. Luiz and Cole can give us that pace. If not then Im for the idea of converting him into a DM, again he gives us something going forward and can break up play. His long passes are exceptional so that always helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iRush)
    Tbrh, I'd start Luiz ahead of Alex. So Luiz can be a liability in defence but he's got pace and if he can just control when to tackle and when not too, he's easily better than Alex. I've never been convinced with Alex and he lacks pace. If we play

Cech
    Ivanovic - Alex - JT - Cole

There's a lack of pace there especially with this high line we play, a quick defender would help cover if the ball is played through. Luiz and Cole can give us that pace. If not then Im for the idea of converting him into a DM, again he gives us something going forward and can break up play. His long passes are exceptional so that always helps.
    Not that i'm against mikel, but luiz is a much more positive player than mikel and would get the ball forward much quicker which could potentially help torres(if he sorts out his movement). I think we should make him versatile, luiz can play RB and CB, if we could get him to play DM too, he'll be our utility player. But i'm more for using alex as the CB, because john terry really needs someone to partner him.

ReputationRep:
    Know what, we're forgetting about Romeu and McEachran. I think Romeu should start playing more games in midfield in the premier league now, he's got great composure on the ball and has a no non sense approach which is always helpful! McEachran needs a few games now, at least 20-30 minute sub apps. Otherwise I'd send him to Swansea for a half year loan deal and give him some first team experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iRush)
    Know what, we're forgetting about Romeu and McEachran. I think Romeu should start playing more games in midfield in the premier league now, he's got great composure on the ball and has a no non sense approach which is always helpful! McEachran needs a few games now, at least 20-30 minute sub apps. Otherwise I'd send him to Swansea for a half year loan deal and give him some first team experience.
    Yeah, you're completely right except for one thing. There's this problem, if romeu becomes a superstar right now when he gets his games, barcelona will just buy him back in a years time especially as he can play in central defence too which is were barca are short. So we're biding our time now and integrating him in the team slowly.
    The mceachran situation, i'm sure he'll get games when we get back into top form and win a game the way ancelotti was doing. Lukaku however needs a loan, we can't be using him against liverpool in the carling cup because we really need to win a trophy as quickly as possible, that'll give us momentum for the league.

ReputationRep:
    any thoughts on sunday v liverpool?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelseafreak)
    any thoughts on sunday v liverpool?
    I'm not too optimistic, we got a win vs blackburn, but both chelsea and liverpool have problems, only that liverpools problem is attack, while ours is defence. I'm not too sure about who should play, but we should be able to dominate the midfield, liverpool will use 4-4-2, probably lucas and adam, downing and kuyt, bellamy and suarez with the defence being enrique, carragher, agger and johnson.
    That allows chelsea to dominate the midfield if we use 4-3-3, it'll be a case of ramires vs lucas. I don't know whether mikel or meireles will play though, Mikel should play I think to protect the defence when adam moves forward since he has a hell of a shot and is a good passer, I also think that ivanovic should play to stop enrique and downing plus he's also fairly good at attacking e.g. the assist for lampard last week.
    My predictions 3-2, don't know who will win though.

ReputationRep:
    A match thread has been created for the Liverpool v Chelsea game this weekend. If any of you guys are already feeling in the mood to post your formations, predictions or some other pre-match thoughts then feel free to post in there!

ReputationRep:
    Do you think chelsea needs to strengthen in any areas? As in signing players?
    We're getting lucas piazon in january, who will no doubt be loaned or put in the reserves.
    I think We need one more winger, and by the looks of it even another striker because anelka and drogba are likely to leave. We might use sturridge more as the reserve striker, but like i've said before, kalou should stay away from the first team, so we need a winger since mata might get injured and we'll need cover if anything happens to malouda.

ReputationRep:
    I think we need to stop rushing into making big transfer decisions as soon as things don't seem to be going well, we do it all the time and it hardly ever works out well.
    We've got a good enough squad to compete in all major competitions. We have problems in the team that need to be solved, i.e front man our strikers (Torres, Anelka, Drogba) cant score or wont score, this needs to be sorted this drought has gone on long enough. AVB needs to work out a defensive strategy that will work for the players we have at hand because we've got to stop giving away chances/goals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hatchet)
    I think we need to stop rushing into making big transfer decisions as soon as things don't seem to be going well, we do it all the time and it hardly ever works out well.
    We've got a good enough squad to compete in all major competitions. We have problems in the team that need to be solved, i.e front man our strikers (Torres, Anelka, Drogba) cant score or wont score, this needs to be sorted this drought has gone on long enough. AVB needs to work out a defensive strategy that will work for the players we have at hand because we've got to stop giving away chances/goals.
    That is true, I do think that the squad has enough quality to perform better, but, anelka isn't gonna sign the contract, neither is drogba, what will we do when two of the best strikers in the prem leave, sturridge, torres and mata will not have any cover, malouda can be cover, but kalou is too inconsistant to trust as a cover for sturridge, lukaku hasn't really proven himself yet either so to say that he'll cover torres isn't good enough.
    This should be sorted out in the summer i think. Man united bought nobody in january last year, they got to the finals of the CL and won the title, us buying torres made scoring a big problem, drogba never got enough time to influence the result and has lost confidence, torres however is getting back to form though.
    Maybe we need the wingers to just support torres and use him as the main man more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    That is true, I do think that the squad has enough quality to perform better, but, anelka isn't gonna sign the contract, neither is drogba, what will we do when two of the best strikers in the prem leave, sturridge, torres and mata will not have any cover, malouda can be cover, but kalou is too inconsistant to trust as a cover for sturridge, lukaku hasn't really proven himself yet either so to say that he'll cover torres isn't good enough.
    This should be sorted out in the summer i think. Man united bought nobody in january last year, they got to the finals of the CL and won the title, us buying torres made scoring a big problem, drogba never got enough time to influence the result and has lost confidence, torres however is getting back to form though.
    Maybe we need the wingers to just support torres and use him as the main man more.
    I think we've needed wingers/wide players for a good while, in fact the only proper "winger" we've had in recent years has been Malouda, otherwise guys like Kalou, Anelka and Sturridge have been being played on the wing. I agree that having Drogba and Anelka leave would be a huge loss, but with Torres, Lukaku and Sturridge as potential front men we shouldnt be left completely short.
    Mata is brilliant (only 22!) and is just the kind of quality we need in terms of our build up play, another player of similar quality, i.e a Nasri, Ozil, Hamsik, maybe even someone like Bale, we would have a much more clinical line up. I'd like to see Kakuta get more games this season, he had a lot of hype and if he can fulfil his potential him and Mata could be awesome creative players in the final third.

ReputationRep:
    I think we've needed wingers/wide players for a good while, in fact the only proper "winger" we've had in recent years has been Malouda, otherwise guys like Kalou, Anelka and Sturridge have been being played on the wing. I agree that having Drogba and Anelka leave would be a huge loss, but with Torres, Lukaku and Sturridge as potential front men we shouldnt be left completely short.
    Mata is brilliant (only 22!) and is just the kind of quality we need in terms of our build up play, another player of similar quality, i.e a Nasri, Ozil, Hamsik, maybe even someone like Bale, we would have a much more clinical line up. I'd like to see Kakuta get more games this season, he had a lot of hype and if he can fulfil his potential him and Mata could be awesome creative players in the final third.
    I completely forgot about him, well, if kakuta performs to his potential, then we won't need a winger, but i haven't seen too much of him at bolton. I wanna see how lucas piazon performs though, but I think that mceachran is honestly better than him so he has a bit of work to do. Mceachran has a great first touch and is a good passer. piazon has a lot of flair though and is good at passing, but he needs more to his game, he's not fast enough i think.

ReputationRep:
    I completely forgot about him, well, if kakuta performs to his potential, then we won't need a winger, but i haven't seen too much of him at bolton. I wanna see how lucas piazon performs though, but I think that mceachran is honestly better than him so he has a bit of work to do. Mceachran has a great first touch and is a good passer. piazon has a lot of flair though and is good at passing, but he needs more to his game, he's not fast enough i think.
    Yeah, too many times in recent years we've had players with potential fizzle out when it comes to breaking into the first team and if Kakuta doesn't get game time he'll probably be another. Heard a lot of hype around Piazon, never seen him play or anything to have an opinion and I agree with that about McEachran, he's too good to be sitting on our bench. Loan him out, or play him, he needs prem experience to match his talent otherwise he's just wasting years. Main reason why I werent to disappointed in missing out on Modric, it gives Josh a chance.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, too many times in recent years we've had players with potential fizzle out when it comes to breaking into the first team and if Kakuta doesn't get game time he'll probably be another. Heard a lot of hype around Piazon, never seen him play or anything to have an opinion and I agree with that about McEachran, he's too good to be sitting on our bench. Loan him out, or play him, he needs prem experience to match his talent otherwise he's just wasting years. Main reason why I werent to disappointed in missing out on Modric, it gives Josh a chance.
    Matic, jack cork and scott sinclair are prime examples. Had good potential, but we never played them enough, sturridge nearly turned into that until he went to bolton as well. Although I see a revelution in chelsea, so i think we'll have a better youth squad, also, does anyone know how llakovic and nathan chalobah are doing? I heard that they've got great potential.

I do think that Chelsea will begin to see better results from their Academy and young players; Villas Boas doesn't seem like one for short-termism. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    I do think that Chelsea will begin to see better results from their Academy and young players; Villas Boas doesn't seem like one for short-termism. :yep:
    He'll get fired soon enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    He'll get fired soon enough.
    Lol, na, I have faith in AVB, this guy will do pretty well, look at our team, I think he's done well so far, he's only got the defence to sort out and the issue of strikers not scoring.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, na, I have faith in AVB, this guy will do pretty well, look at our team, I think he's done well so far, he's only got the defence to sort out and the issue of strikers not scoring.
    :eyeball:

It doesn't exactly leave much else if you still need to fix your defence and strike force..

If you don't finish top 4 - he's fired
    If he finished 4th but gets knocked out in the CL qualifiers - he's fired
    If the players start to revolt - he gets fired
    If he starts insisting on dropping Torres when RA wants him played - he's fired
    If RA gets bored/picks a new manager - he's fired

Still think Chelsea will finish top4 comfortably in the end but it's not as easy for AVB as it would've been for a Chelsea manager in the past few years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    :eyeball:

It doesn't exactly leave much else if you still need to fix your defence and strike force..

If you don't finish top 4 - he's fired
    If he finished 4th but gets knocked out in the CL qualifiers - he's fired
    If the players start to revolt - he gets fired
    If he starts insisting on dropping Torres when RA wants him played - he's fired
    If RA gets bored/picks a new manager - he's fired

Still think Chelsea will finish top4 comfortably in the end but it's not as easy for AVB as it would've been for a Chelsea manager in the past few years.
    I know, but, we're gonna qualify, we win our next match, and we're through, if we lose, we only have to draw against leverkusen to qualify.
    We'll finish top 4 easily and the title isn't out of reach yet, last season, we got above tottenham, city and arsenal, in the second half of the season. We beat you guys and our season will turn around.

He's not going to drop torres, not for the reason that RA wants him played, but because, he's our best striker, he's showed glimpses of his form, why ruin it by benching him, torres' case is different from lampards, lampard needed to know that he's not guaranteed a place with meireles in the squad so since then, he's been on fire for us.

Why would Abramovic get bored?

Our striker needs sorting out, not the wingers, our centre back pairing need sorting out and how they work together, not the whole defence (when ivanovic plays, our full backs become better) AVB is in the quarters of the league cup as well. I believe that he'll work well for us.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.