Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Agree that Malouda is usually frustrating but he was brilliant going forward in the second half today. David Luiz also had a good game but they were the only positives really. So many over the top reactions this evening though. We aren't that bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daviesblue)
    David Luiz would be great in Mikels position, drop Mikel. he is too slow, and he lets players get by him too easily this season. Malouda is a waste too, absolute donkey that player, Ashley Cole also is lacking pace now, too many times Bellamy and Johnson beat him for pace, he needs replacing, same with Terry. We need wholesale changes, too many old lags in this team, its not the manager, he is trying to make us into awonderful team, but the older players are too set in the Mourinho style, and they struggle to change. Sturridge, Ramires and Mata are the only ones who look like they are up for the task of being part of a new Chelsea, if players can't change to the style AVB wants then they need to go. Iv already written this season off for us, we wont win anything, we just need to make sure we keep in the Champions League and stay as a side that can compete with the best. Use this season to see who should stay and who should go, personally i believe Malouda, A.Cole, Mikel, Drogba, Anelka, and maybe Terry all need to go. Class players a few years ago but they are not hungry enough anymore. I believe in AVB, he is a very smart manager, he isn't a fool. He wants us to play possession, hige pressure football, but the old players are not capable of it. They were part of the Mourinho era and they are used to playing the complete opposite way. Lets get behind the manager and stick by him.
    Spot on with that, buy a new fast defender who isn't scared of building from the back, use bertrand some more, buy one more winger since anelka and drogba will leave, we don't need a new striker since we have torres, lukaku and sturridge so a NATURAL right winger would help us a lot because a lot of our attacks were focused on the left wing.

Why is malouda still in the ****ing team?

Also, I didn't see the first goal, but david luiz was playing good before the second liverpool goal. Mikel does slow down play, but sometimes in a hectic match you need to slow down the tempo if it's not going your way so keep him, use essien and romeu(he's spanish and can play in barca's/spains system)

Now I know how life feels for an arsenal fan.
    Give AVB time, and he'll deliver, no point calling for his head now, people were calling for ancelotti's head last season when we were in bad form, then he came back and showed you why he has won a champions league and a serie A title as a manager.

ReputationRep:
    Lost 3 out of the last 4, with 2 back to back defeats at the bridge.

A terrible run for us. We need to pick ourselves up quickly, otherwise we may not even make a CL spot...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cfc1992)
    Agree that Malouda is usually frustrating but he was brilliant going forward in the second half today. David Luiz also had a good game but they were the only positives really. So many over the top reactions this evening though. We aren't that bad.
    He isn't that brilliant going forward, he just draws the defender in and lets ashley cole do all the hard work, leaving us exposed at left back on the counter, malouda could have tracked back for the second goal, because terry/luiz was left to guard the centre and the left back position leaving a massive gap in the box giving johnson the space to score, once he got past the first defender, i knew it was a goal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by USB)
    Lost 3 out of the last 4, with 2 back to back defeats at the bridge.

A terrible run for us. We need to pick ourselves up quickly, otherwise we may not even make a CL spot...
    We'll make a CL spot, we'll come back into form and sort ourselves out. Newcastle would be demoralised from facing city, united will win 1-0 like always, chelsea have a good chance of beating them too, if we somehow draw that game, then there are serious questions on our team.
    Anyway the pundits were right, AVB needs to build his own team, which I believe he's done already, the players he's bought probably need some time to settle in after loan moves etc. mceachran can be moulded into his system, lampard is a beast, whether he fits the system or not, he will score goals, I also think we need to make stamford bridge a larger pitch, nou camp is a pretty large pitch, hence why messi and xavi and the rest have so much space to dominate everyone, same for man city with silva and aguero, a bigger pitch size would help us a lot.

(Original post by JClive)
    Yes AVB needs time, judge him after a season AT LEAST not after 12 games in a new country/league for him. We desperately need some manager continuity at Chelsea.
    Woah, I'm certainly not advocating sacking AVB. I simply think he's being incredibly naive if he thinks he can change our entire ethos as quickly as this. He should be making these tactical/stylistic changes slowly but surely, letting us play a more recognisable game for now whilst really emphasising his ideas in the training sessions. Once the team is moulded more in the image he wants it to be he can start vamping up the changes in competitive matches. What is clear is that strategies that rely on solid defence first are a lot easier to implement, hence Mourinho and Hiddink's immediate success, whilst AVB, like Scolari, has floundered. Certainly if he lasts out the season, and I wouldn't be surprised by any decision Abramovich makes, the close season will give AVB much more freedom to sort things out. A lot of our team will leave in the summer, and by then a lot of our younger players should be ready to fill the gaps, meaning there shouldn't be that many signings to make.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonah Ramone)
    Woah, I'm certainly not advocating sacking AVB. I simply think he's being incredibly naive if he thinks he can change our entire ethos as quickly as this. He should be making these tactical/stylistic changes slowly but surely, letting us play a more recognisable game for now whilst really emphasising his ideas in the training sessions. Once the team is moulded more in the image he wants it to be he can start vamping up the changes in competitive matches. What is clear is that strategies that rely on solid defence first are a lot easier to implement, hence Mourinho and Hiddink's immediate success, whilst AVB, like Scolari, has floundered. Certainly if he lasts out the season, and I wouldn't be surprised by any decision Abramovich makes, the close season will give AVB much more freedom to sort things out. A lot of our team will leave in the summer, and by then a lot of our younger players should be ready to fill the gaps, meaning there shouldn't be that many signings to make.
    To be fair, we have needed this for a long time. We've been flogging the mourinho players for way too long, i think between 08-10 was the time we needed to seriously start thinking of making a new team, but we didn't because we were still successful at the time and it costed us in the 10-11 season, although to be fair ancelotti did start with the signings of ramires, luiz and torres and using mceachran a bit that he was planning on starting the change. We've been turning into the AC milan of 09, since they sorted themselves out with the age problem, they're pretty successful atm.

Anyway, we should have done this 2 years ago. Also, do you think we might need to start mceachran a bit? Quality player that doesn't play, I can see him doing a wilshere for us if we start using him.

I would like to see a midfield of Ramires - Meireles - McEachran tbh, see if we can make a balanced midfield that doesn't require one person to stay back all the time to make up for Frank Lampard's wanderings.

ReputationRep:
    We need to get rid of Terry imo, he's been poor this season

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr tim)
    I can't really see why you are wanting AVB to be sacked - you guys lost 4 games this season in the PL so far [QPR, Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool] 3/4 of those teams was tough games. You are still 4th with 22 points, and after 12 games its not so bad.
    the tactical changes were disastrous. he never learns. how can u leave torres and meireles on the bench and play drogba( who missed on like the last 5 games and is 34 years of age)? drogba did nothing today. no assists, no threats, no tackles. malouda was slow. mikel played **** for the last 3-4 matches. i think centre backs did well. it wasnt their fault our midfield was crap. though lamps is scoring goals, he isnt feeding torres well and is slowing our pace down. if AVB does want to bring changes, he needs to replace older players. i think this 'old crew' got too bossy. wasnt impressed how drogba treated luiz today, when luiz conceded a free kick. luiz has been far more impressive than drogba and drogba treated him like **** today. there is just something wrong with our mentality. players got lazier and think too much of themselves.

ReputationRep:
    Since AVB is trying to turn us into barcelona mk2, we need a midfield with good passing ability and dribbling ability, mikel is good at passing, but isn't the best dribbler, luiz is better as a DM I think, can dribble and pass and that's what I think will work plus we have romeu as well who could be our busquetts, You then need two pass masters, meireles and lampard/mceachran as the season goes on, then we need a false 9 and two wingers that are fluid i.e. function well as a winger but can also cut in, we have one fluid winger in mata and maybe sturridge as the season unfolds, but we might need a false 9, which we do not have which is probably the problem for our strikers not scoring, there's a reason why torres doesn't score for spain even though he has xavi and iniesta around him.

There might be a reason why drogba isn't playing too well for us atm besides his reduced game time. It's because we don't have a guy who can 'create' and score. Torres and drogba can do that, but it only seems to be that they only do one of the two at chelsea. I think our strikers may be more suited to not contributing to the play and receiving defence splitting passes(i.e. torres) or just holding the ball till there's enough support (i.e. drogba)

I think this might be the reason why our strikers aren't scoring, yet they contribute quite a bit to the game.
    Thoughts on this?
    Although I think torres works better than drogba in this system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wazzup)
    the tactical changes were disastrous. he never learns. how can u leave torres and meireles on the bench and play drogba( who missed on like the last 5 games and is 34 years of age)? drogba did nothing today. no assists, no threats, no tackles. malouda was slow. mikel played **** for the last 3-4 matches. i think centre backs did well. it wasnt their fault our midfield was crap. though lamps is scoring goals, he isnt feeding torres well and is slowing our pace down. if AVB does want to bring changes, he needs to replace older players. i think this 'old crew' got too bossy. wasnt impressed how drogba treated luiz today, when luiz conceded a free kick. luiz has been far more impressive than drogba and drogba treated him like **** today. there is just something wrong with our mentality. players got lazier and think too much of themselves.
    I do think that drogba needs to leave and we bring lukaku in more games. Because lukaku is not getting any games at all and is behind drogba, torres, sturridge and even kalou in the pecking order.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think he should be sacked but having worked under Mourinho at Chelsea, producing that very detailed report that leaked, you'd think he'd know the basics of the league or use tactics which suit the players he has available rather than copy-pasting the tactics he used at Porto. He has tried to change the club too drastically in a really short period of time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mastermind`)
    I don't think he should be sacked but having worked under Mourinho at Chelsea, producing that very detailed report that leaked, you'd think he'd know the basics of the league or use tactics which suit the players he has available rather than copy-pasting the tactics he used at Porto. He has tried to change the club too drastically in a really short period of time.
    Hm, that's right, like apparently mourinho prefers 4-3-3, but because of real madrids team and their packed midfield, he uses 4-2-3-1 instead. Maybe he needs to use a bit more of the old system, I like their play, but we're turning into arsenal.
    But to be fair, mancini changed man city's style of play from parking the bus to 1-0 victories and aiming for the draw for big playings to controlling the match from start to finish over the summer and it's worked pretty well for him. Although their team is faster than us and relies on the whole team playing well, when one person has a poor game e.g. savic against QPR, man city don't play as well.

ReputationRep:
    I cant believe the amount of guys calling for JT's head. I mean seriously, the guy is our captain and has been a Chelsea lad through and through for his entire career, we've maintained a strong defensive record since the JM era which has been a lot down to the performances and leadership of JT and our defence has regularly been amongst the 1st or 2nd best in the league. The guy is only thirty years old and was never a quick player to begin with, AVB is just getting us to play a new system which isnt quite working with any of our centre backs at the moment.
    Honestly people calling for JT and Frank to be dropped need to be slapped and stop thinking that just because they're old they're of no use, these are the players who step up when are needed and give the performances that win us trophies because they love and have passion for the club.

Oi, I'ma 'ave you done for plagiarism.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please explain to me why David Luiz is being slated like no-one's business? Didn't really get to watch the first half, but from what I saw, he was rock-solid? It was Terry that seemed like the weaker part, and Luiz that was clearing everything that was dangerous.

It's been happening for a few weeks now, but he's been solid after that penalty he gave away ages ago? Two clean sheets for brazil, and would've done well again had it not been for Mikel. Stupid, stupid english media.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Hm, that's right, like apparently mourinho prefers 4-3-3, but because of real madrids team and their packed midfield, he uses 4-2-3-1 instead. Maybe he needs to use a bit more of the old system, I like their play, but we're turning into arsenal.
    But to be fair, mancini changed man city's style of play from parking the bus to 1-0 victories and aiming for the draw for big playings to controlling the match from start to finish over the summer and it's worked pretty well for him. Although their team is faster than us and relies on the whole team playing well, when one person has a poor game e.g. savic against QPR, man city don't play as well.
    :yep: That's true, I think it's easier for Man City, though they did a lot of work on their system, but even they don't play with a high-line which isn't easy to implement unless you have a specific set of players. As you said, you need some midfielders with great passing ability and fast, positionally sound defenders first of all for it to really work. I think it'd require more or less an overhaul of the squad defensively, I don't know why AVB persists with it now when he doesn't have the players.

(Original post by Jonah Ramone)
    Oi, I'ma 'ave you done for plagiarism.
    Only saw it now further up

ReputationRep:
    :yep: That's true, I think it's easier for Man City, though they did a lot of work on their system, but even they don't play with a high-line which isn't easy to implement unless you have a specific set of players. As you said, you need some midfielders with great passing ability and fast, positionally sound defenders first of all for it to really work. I think it'd require more or less an overhaul of the squad defensively, I don't know why AVB persists with it now when he doesn't have the players.

Only saw it now further up
    However, there is one thing, he does have the players, ok we are an extremely defensive team, but I think that if ramires can improve his passing(he's good enough at dribbling) it'll work pretty well, mikel/luiz/essien/romeu in the busquetts/yaya toure role, ramires/essien as iniesta while lampard/meireles as xavi, essien has a good pass rate, i'm sure he had like 80% passes completed last season, sturridge can play as david villa if he improves his delivery, while mata works well as the pedro role.

John terry should still play week in week out, he steps up when needed. mceachran needs to play more, no disrespect to lampard but mceachran needs to develop to a good standard by the time lampard retires and meireles is only a short term solution as a precaution to injuries, John terry needs a defensive partner, i would have picked ivanovic, but right back is then short, so it's between alex and luiz, luiz can be very dodgy in defence, although his role in defence is pretty unique and can prove to be pretty valuable, reminds me of pique a little.

We need a overhaul of the squad in time, we don't need a right back yet, left back we have bertrand and van aalholt and if AVB isn't convinced he can buy alvaro pereira, for centre backs, buy one fast centre back, and keep john terry until the likes of chalobah and bruma develop, for midfield, we should wait until essien comes back from injury before we buy one and we have sufficient cover atm, no need to unsettle players by buying more people,

We just need a cover playmaking winger to play with mata, either kakuta if he does well for bolton or buy someone like giovinco because like I said, I do not want to see malouda or kalou anywhere near the first team.

Finally, we need our strikers to contribute both bits to the game, to help with the play, and to score as well i.e. the false 9 role messi plays. Drogba holds the ball and waits for support, while torres makes a run forward expecting the ball and doesn't like having much contact with the ball pretty deep.

ReputationRep:
    atm i think we need to have bertand or cole at lb, JT and alex in the centre with ivanovic on the right, midfield with luiz in DM, ramires and josh/lampard in the middle, mata in the hole behind sturidge and torres/lukaku up front.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.