Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn-er)
    Can someone please explain to me why David Luiz is being slated like no-one's business? Didn't really get to watch the first half, but from what I saw, he was rock-solid? It was Terry that seemed like the weaker part, and Luiz that was clearing everything that was dangerous.

It's been happening for a few weeks now, but he's been solid after that penalty he gave away ages ago? Two clean sheets for brazil, and would've done well again had it not been for Mikel. Stupid, stupid english media.
    I know, David Luiz actually had a solid game, Terry slipped again and almost gave the ball away twice in dangerous positions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iRush)
    I know, David Luiz actually had a solid game, Terry slipped again and almost gave the ball away twice in dangerous positions.
    If by solid you mean leaving 50 yards or so between himself and Terry for their first goal....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevmeister)
    If by solid you mean leaving 50 yards or so between himself and Terry for their first goal....
    I don't understand how either Terry or Luiz can be blamed for Mikel's error? Who on earth would expect an accomplished passer of the ball like Mikel to lose the ball? If anyone else should be blamed for it, it's Cech for not hoofing the ball out. He has a perfect view of the pitch, and should've known that passing it right there was stupid.

Plus, Luiz was in the box before they scored anyway. Liverpool passed it well around him to score. Was literally 4 v 1... Luiz being the only one left to run around and chase the ball.

I'm watching the highlights now, and have just seen another breakaway from Liverpool. Luiz and Ivanovic are the only two defenders back (no idea where terry is) and Luiz - rightly- tries to play it offside. Ivanovic messes up there, and Luiz sprints back to block the cross.

It seems to me that people are just picking up on the media overhyping his flaws. To be honest, Terry has had a much worse few weeks than Luiz has.

ReputationRep:
    Not a flaw of his, but of the partnership between himself and Terry. There shouldn't be a gaping chasm between your two centre backs.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please explain to me why David Luiz is being slated like no-one's business? Didn't really get to watch the first half, but from what I saw, he was rock-solid? It was Terry that seemed like the weaker part, and Luiz that was clearing everything that was dangerous.
    I don't know whether it's an AVB tactic, or Luiz' fault but look at the position of Terry and Luiz (Who is actually off the screen) when the ball is played to mikel.

That's suicide having your centr backs that far split.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand how either Terry or Luiz can be blamed for Mikel's error? Who on earth would expect an accomplished passer of the ball like Mikel to lose the ball? If anyone else should be blamed for it, it's Cech for not hoofing the ball out. He has a perfect view of the pitch, and should've known that passing it right there was stupid.

Plus, Luiz was in the box before they scored anyway. Liverpool passed it well around him to score. Was literally 4 v 1... Luiz being the only one left to run around and chase the ball.

I'm watching the highlights now, and have just seen another breakaway from Liverpool. Luiz and Ivanovic are the only two defenders back (no idea where terry is) and Luiz - rightly- tries to play it offside. Ivanovic messes up there, and Luiz sprints back to block the cross.

It seems to me that people are just picking up on the media overhyping his flaws. To be honest, Terry has had a much worse few weeks than Luiz has.
    His attacking streak leaves you wide open for counter attacks though.

There was a momment in the second half where Suarez was sent away down the right after Luiz had lost the ball up the pitch.

ReputationRep:
    I think the signs of John Terry ageing are beginning to show. The past couple of weeks he has reacted slower and struggles to keep up. Luiz didn't play particularly badly, he just makes rash decisions at times and is an easy scapegoat to pick on. I blame Cech for the first goal, Mikel should've done better but the goal kick put him under massive pressure considering he was facing his own net and had nowhere to go. Going forward, Chelsea should've created a lot more considering the amount of ball they had and the reliance on Mata is already becoming too great.

One thing I found particularly frustrating was the amount of needless fouls that were given away by Chelsea, again this goes back to the decision making of Luiz and Ivanovic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L18)
    I don't know whether it's an AVB tactic, or Luiz' fault but look at the position of Terry and Luiz (Who is actually off the screen) when the ball is played to mikel.

I was wondering why they were so far apart, so it's both their faults, liverpool were gifted two easy goals from defensive mishaps, the second goal, the CB's were too close together and malouda didn't even bother to track back although he had the time to do it he just left it, just because you're a winger doesn't mean you shouldn't help the team, how many times do you see messi in his own half trying to put pressure on the opposition and covering even though he's the striker?

We shouldn't have lost this match, the arsenal match or even the united match, our strikers can't score and our defence is resembling arsenals atm, for the team with supposedly the best defence in the league on paper and has been proven over the past 5 seasons, it's pretty shameful that our defence is this bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stiller)
    I think the signs of John Terry ageing are beginning to show. The past couple of weeks he has reacted slower and struggles to keep up. Luiz didn't play particularly badly, he just makes rash decisions at times and is an easy scapegoat to pick on. I blame Cech for the first goal, Mikel should've done better but the goal kick put him under massive pressure considering he was facing his own net and had nowhere to go. Going forward, Chelsea should've created a lot more considering the amount of ball they had and the reliance on Mata is already becoming too great.

One thing I found particularly frustrating was the amount of needless fouls that were given away by Chelsea, again this goes back to the decision making of Luiz and Ivanovic.
    I think we should give john terry till january to sort his act out, then AVB will have to go by his word and drop him if he's not playing well like he said at the start of the season.

Also, is it me, or does a lot of AVB's tactical changes during a match not help us. e.g. for the valencia match and for the liverpool match, why we took off drogba at that point and ramires was beyond me, torres was never going to change a match in 10 minutes, and meireles although he made our game more expansive also made us pretty wide open.

I think this has messed up our chances of getting the title back, we look like city last season I think, struggling for 4th place, the only chance we have of getting the title is beating city home and away, the most i can see us getting at this moment is a draw and a loss/draw, but with the wolves game and beating newcastle(who will aim for the draw) we have a chance of beating liverpool in the league cup and beating city. We just need that momentum that arsenal have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    I was wondering why they were so far apart, so it's both their faults, liverpool were gifted two easy goals from defensive mishaps, the second goal, the CB's were too close together and malouda didn't even bother to track back although he had the time to do it he just left it, just because you're a winger doesn't mean you shouldn't help the team, how many times do you see messi in his own half trying to put pressure on the opposition and covering even though he's the striker?

We shouldn't have lost this match, the arsenal match or even the united match, our strikers can't score and our defence is resembling arsenals atm, for the team with supposedly the best defence in the league on paper and has been proven over the past 5 seasons, it's pretty shameful that our defence is this bad.
    Your constant comparisons with Barcelona are hilarious lol. (no offence, just spotted a theme through out your posts).

Also 'shouldn't have lost'? On what basis? For example, Liverpool shouldn't have drawn most of the games we have on the basis we created a lot more chances, we were just unlucky with finishing.

Chelsea were poor yesterday. They created a few more chances in the second half, but they never really looked like scoring though, with the exception of an excellent Reina save.

As for all of you criticising the torres/miereles sub - maybe he was just looking for some fresh legs to attack our defence? As I said, you created a few more chances, but they lacked the 'killer instinct' that a fresh player might have been able to provide. But the whole team seemed deflated by that point. Getting a goal back should have been the biggest motivation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cocacola2)
    Your constant comparisons with Barcelona are hilarious lol. (no offence, just spotted a theme through out your posts).

Also 'shouldn't have lost'? On what basis? For example, Liverpool shouldn't have drawn most of the games we have on the basis we created a lot more chances, we were just unlucky with finishing.

Chelsea were poor yesterday. They created a few more chances in the second half, but they never really looked like scoring though, with the exception of an excellent Reina save.

As for all of you criticising the torres/miereles sub - maybe he was just looking for some fresh legs to attack our defence? As I said, you created a few more chances, but they lacked the 'killer instinct' that a fresh player might have been able to provide. But the whole team seemed deflated by that point. Getting a goal back should have been the biggest motivation.
    My comparisons with barcelona is because that's what he's trying to do to the team, increasing the tempo, playing more attacking football, passing the ball around more and dominating possession, that sounds a lot like barcelona mk2 to me.
    When you look at the spain team in the 4-3-3, torres/llorente do not score playing as typical no9s while messi in barcelona scores playing in a different role as the false 9(why do you think david silva is now their striker) same here for chelsea which explains our strikers not scoring.

Chelsea in the second half were much better than the first half, and by their second half performance, they could have got the 3 points. Of course his plan was for fresh legs, but ramires was doing pretty well and he didn't look like he was going to get a second yellow card.

Chelsea created chances but never looked like scoring, you forgot that malouda chance where instead of taking a shot first time with the space he had he decided to cross across the face of goal where nobody could get a head to it. We had chances and we could have scored them.

We didn't seem deflated before or after the sub until the johnson goal, we looked like we could have won the game, even when we put meireles on, we looked the better side, he just made our play much more expansive and attacking that we got hit on the counter attack AGAIN and got punished for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    I think we should give john terry till january to sort his act out, then AVB will have to go by his word and drop him if he's not playing well like he said at the start of the season.

Also, is it me, or does a lot of AVB's tactical changes during a match not help us. e.g. for the valencia match and for the liverpool match, why we took off drogba at that point and ramires was beyond me, torres was never going to change a match in 10 minutes, and meireles although he made our game more expansive also made us pretty wide open.

I think this has messed up our chances of getting the title back, we look like city last season I think, struggling for 4th place, the only chance we have of getting the title is beating city home and away, the most i can see us getting at this moment is a draw and a loss/draw, but with the wolves game and beating newcastle(who will aim for the draw) we have a chance of beating liverpool in the league cup and beating city. We just need that momentum that arsenal have.
    I agree, I thought ramires was playing well and I wouldn't have changed it. Drogba poses more of a threat than torres, and as much as i love meireles he is not a CDM.

The title does seem out of Chelsea's grasp, City are too dominant right now and I can only see Utd challenging this year. Honestly, this new brand of football that AVB is attempting to bring to Chelsea just isn't working. They are not the sort of the team that is set up to play intricate football, and chelsea pose the most threat when going wide and getting a decent cross into the box. Almost anything positive coming from the Chelsea attack goes through Mata, which isn't a bad point, but if the opposition realise this like Liverpool did and prevent him from creating then Chelsea almost come to a stand still. It is clear that AVB is trying to adapt the team which needs doing as the core in Terry, Lampard and Drogba have all peaked. It seems chelsea are going through a transition period right now and it'll take time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stiller)
    I agree, I thought ramires was playing well and I wouldn't have changed it. Drogba poses more of a threat than torres, and as much as i love meireles he is not a CDM.

The title does seem out of Chelsea's grasp, City are too dominant right now and I can only see Utd challenging this year. Honestly, this new brand of football that AVB is attempting to bring to Chelsea just isn't working. They are not the sort of the team that is set up to play intricate football, and chelsea pose the most threat when going wide and getting a decent cross into the box. Almost anything positive coming from the Chelsea attack goes through Mata, which isn't a bad point, but if the opposition realise this like Liverpool did and prevent him from creating then Chelsea almost come to a stand still. It is clear that AVB is trying to adapt the team which needs doing as the core in Terry, Lampard and Drogba have all peaked. It seems chelsea are going through a transition period right now and it'll take time.
    Our pitch is too small, therefore mata does not have the space to do what david silva does at eastlands, we should have started the transition 2 seasons ago and signed luiz/ramires then, lampard still has got it, he'll be like giggs for us. I think that sturridge needs to improve his delivery and we need a natural right winger who can do what mata does for us on the left, city have silva, johnson and nasri while we only have mata, malouda doesn't offer what mata does, neither does sturridge although sturridge can dribble well, he needs to improve his passing and crossing to be a good winger.

I think chelsea can just aim for top 4, CL semi final and win the league cup/fa cup because that's what it looks like we can acheive this season. RA would be happy if we start doing better in CL like between 03-09 where we were usually in the semis at least.

We still have a shot at the league, but we have to start winning games now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L18)

If you watch it again Cech actually tells Luiz to go wider. You can get away with having your CBs wide, I know at Utd we do it all the time. CBs go wide, they're followed by the forwards leaving a huge space just in front of the penalty box which is filled by a midfielder, generally more comfortable on the ball than CBs, who starts the attack. It works because following the midfielder and pressing all up the pitch needs a lot of players, it's a high risk move. On the still there you have 5 players in the picture, say Cech goes long to Drogba and Chelsea win the ball, you might be short on numbers in defence.

In this case the pass to Mikel had very little benefit because he was under pressure straight away, Cech should have recognised that imo. Obviously this doesn't excuse Mikel, it was mainly his fault.

ReputationRep:
    He has got all the raw attributes to be one of the best defenders in the world imo. And he shouldn't be written off. If he could stop being an absolute moron, then he could be top class.
    He reminds me a bit of Coloccini when he first arrived in English football, and he has been outstanding this season.

ReputationRep:
    Unfairly criticised by the media for the liverpool match. Cech and Mikel were at fault there. Had a good game otherwise.

Yes, he's reckless. But he's an asset to the team.

ReputationRep:
    I think he has all the attributes to be a top striker. He's too reckless for defending but damn he's got some skill and some pretty classy finishing.

Whoever told him to be a defender should be slapped.

ReputationRep:
    He'd certainly be an improvement on Mikel in CM

ReputationRep:
    rio ferdinand is the best defender of all time, better than david luiz

i'd go so far as to say he rivals pele TO SOME RESPECT.

deffo top 3 player

ReputationRep:
    why spend 50m on torres?

logic man, im 17 years old with no manageial experience, and even i wouldn't spend recklessly

arsenal are actually clever. by GOOD potentiol talent, grow the team, mix with experienced talent too

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.