Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hatchet)
    Are we on telly tonight?
    Nope, they'll rather put on city, like chelsea and liverpool aren't good teams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Nope, they'll rather put on city, like chelsea and liverpool aren't good teams.
    They had Chelsea-Liverpool on last week.

ReputationRep:
    Lukaku - Torres both starting tonight. Interesting.

Edit: Oh, God help us. Malouda is starting too. Watch how he avoids the cross and the pass to Torres.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    Arsenal v Man C is on Sky, none for Chelsea-Liv [only because Spurs play Europa tomorrow]

Interesting line ups for Chelsea, but I guess Liverpool's is much stronger + strong bench too.

ReputationRep:
    Need to win today, cant have the scousers do us twice at home. Also as far as picking up form goes, a win will put us in good stead for our next few crunch games. Hope Nando can slot a couple in today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn-er)
    Lukaku - Torres both starting tonight. Interesting.

Edit: Oh, God help us. Malouda is starting too. Watch how he avoids the cross and the pass to Torres.
    Lol Florent, bet he'll do that xD. Funny how he's not even a striker and he's acting as if Torres never passes to him oh well, bet he lost a bet in training to him and he's angry at him now :P

ReputationRep:
    Haha Carroll fluffed the penalty!

ReputationRep:
    **** sake, beat twice by the scousers within two weeks at home.

ReputationRep:
    Another underwhelming, hugely disappointing evening. I was watching it via stream and eventually decided that I just couldn't be bothered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hatchet)
    **** sake, beat twice by the scousers within two weeks at home.
    Dreadful.

Even the strong emotion of 'avenging a defeat' couldn't help Torres or any of the Chelsea team...

ReputationRep:
    Just to make matters worse, Man City go and take the lead. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JClive)
    Dreadful.

Even the strong emotion of 'avenging a defeat' couldn't help Torres or any of the Chelsea team...
    I didn't realise Torres was playing for the first twenty minutes. Anonymous.

ReputationRep:
    i m seriously worried for chelsea now. we need to change half of the team. get rid of defo of malouda, alex, kalou, drogba, maybe lampard and replace with young talent, who are willing to run more. i cant believe we pay 6 figures a week for those old guys.i appreciate they have done a lot for chelsea, but we need a new team.

ReputationRep:
    Bad times for Chelsea.

Out of the league cup, possibly out of Champions league, and PL isn't looking too favourable :/

Need to get sorted soon. Especially against Man C next week...

ReputationRep:
    In any big game we've had Torres has been completely anon, I honestly cant believe a player who was so good two years has become so poor.
    Honestly we are pretty screwed, we only have two players going forward who can score (Mata, Studge) and we keep conceding every damn game. When you cant defend and you cant score goals you are well and truly ****ed. That belief and confidence that combined for our winning mentality seems to have left us, we've failed to win all our big games the season. I hope we dont sack AVB but we really need a turn around asap.

Newcastle away next.
    Valencia CL midweek then,
    Man City at home.

With the form of Newcastle and Valencia I'm struggling to see us win those games, and then Man City game could be the crunch for AVB. If we do get knocked out of the CL then get beat by Man City at home, Roman may make the move to sack him. I couldn't really argue against it either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wazzup)
    i m seriously worried for chelsea now. we need to change half of the team. get rid of defo of malouda, alex, kalou, drogba, maybe lampard and replace with young talent, who are willing to run more. i cant believe we pay 6 figures a week for those old guys.i appreciate they have done a lot for chelsea, but we need a new team.
    I have said this for a long time, ability wise, we are better than liverpool, but we aren't as fresh as them, they seem to have a better mentality. Kalou, alex, malouda and drogba need to be sold.
    Lampard can be our giggs, we should keep him.
    But january comes, we need to put our young guns on. No need to buy players though, we have the talent there, just need a bloody winger to play when sturridge and mata aren't there.
    Also, I was watching the commentary, torres was not getting any service in the first half, I think they trust drogba more than torres. Maybe keeping torres up front till january might work, if no improvement, bench him, put sturridge or lukaku up front, buy a winger and get back kakuta.

I'm thoroughly pissed off today.

ReputationRep:
    Torres had non-existent service, and he did excellently with the scraps he got. Reina matched him well, so it'd be an outrage to criticise him for his performance today.

I think there's two problems affecting us. We've relied on the 'spine' too long, and when they don't play, our lack of quality to make up for what they once had becomes apparent. When they do play, it becomes even more apparent that they're on the decline, and save for Lampard, lack the desire and drive.

We need players like Kalou, Malouda, Anelka and Mikel off our books. We've always had them as players who complimented Terry, Lampard and Drogba, and now that those guys are declining, they've found it impossible to work with the new generation of players. We need to stop relying on Terry, Lampard and Drogba and either buy, or promote players from within to replace all those who've been named.

Torres, despite his poor performances is the future. We will be relying on him, and need the players to compliment him. We have no out and out wingers (Sturridge is the closest thing we have to one, who can beat the player and draw the CB, and Mata drifts in all the time, he's a player more suited to the no. 10 role) and this suffocates him. Everything's crowded around the box, and trying to pass a ball through the collection of players becomes impossible.

We need a change of formation, and change of personnel. Change of formation will be even more vital if we don't get the wingers we need, to compliment and make more use of Mata.

ReputationRep:
    Really pissed off today, in the past when it came to crunch games we used to be able to grind out wins. I know its only carling cup but the confidence it would have given the team into our next few games... >:{

ReputationRep:
    Torres had non-existent service, and he did excellently with the scraps he got. Reina matched him well, so it'd be an outrage to criticise him for his performance today.

I think there's two problems affecting us. We've relied on the 'spine' too long, and when they don't play, our lack of quality to make up for what they once had becomes apparent. When they do play, it becomes even more apparent that they're on the decline, and save for Lampard, lack the desire and drive.

We need players like Kalou, Malouda, Anelka and Mikel off our books. We've always had them as players who complimented Terry, Lampard and Drogba, and now that those guys are declining, they've found it impossible to work with the new generation of players. We need to stop relying on Terry, Lampard and Drogba and either buy, or promote players from within to replace all those who've been named.

Torres, despite his poor performances is the future. We will be relying on him, and need the players to compliment him. We have no out and out wingers (Sturridge is the closest thing we have to one, who can beat the player and draw the CB, and Mata drifts in all the time, he's a player more suited to the no. 10 role) and this suffocates him. Everything's crowded around the box, and trying to pass a ball through the collection of players becomes impossible.

We need a change of formation, and change of personnel. Change of formation will be even more vital if we don't get the wingers we need, to compliment and make more use of Mata.
    I agree with pretty much all of what you're saying. Kalou, Malouda, Mikel, Drogba...all of these players are stifling the progress of Romeu, McEachran, Lukaku and Sturridge. Losing isn't desirable, but it can be accounted for in games like these by the fact that we're trying to bring young talent through. However, every time Anelka makes the bench over Lukaku, it's another move towards stifling this talent.

Also, I agree that our build up is so slow. Barcelona build up in this slow manner as well, but the contrast is that a) Their players are far more talented at breaking down a defence than ours and b) They know when to strike, to move in for the kill. With us it's just sideways and backwards passes - and Torres doesn't work in that sort of environment.

ReputationRep:

i think mata needs to be used as a support striker and we need to buy a new winger, maybe use malouda for now. but please dont use lamps. he really slows down the game.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 15, 2012
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.