Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hatchet)
    In any big game we've had Torres has been completely anon, I honestly cant believe a player who was so good two years has become so poor.
    Honestly we are pretty screwed, we only have two players going forward who can score (Mata, Studge) and we keep conceding every damn game. When you cant defend and you cant score goals you are well and truly ****ed. That belief and confidence that combined for our winning mentality seems to have left us, we've failed to win all our big games the season. I hope we dont sack AVB but we really need a turn around asap.

Newcastle away next.
    Valencia CL midweek then,
    Man City at home.

With the form of Newcastle and Valencia I'm struggling to see us win those games, and then Man City game could be the crunch for AVB. If we do get knocked out of the CL then get beat by Man City at home, Roman may make the move to sack him. I couldn't really argue against it either.
    Well it looked like arsenal weren't even going to qualify for the champions league, and they were near the bottom of the table, they made it through, same way chelsea will make it through.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wazzup)
    i think mata needs to be used as a support striker and we need to buy a new winger, maybe use malouda for now. but please dont use lamps. he really slows down the game.
    We should use lamps for the easy games, he guarantees us goals and a good performance, like I said, he's our ryan giggs, so we should use him like him. But he's not mobile enough for a team like barcelona, meireles should start 60% of the matches now over lamps.

ReputationRep:
    Lampard's been in excellent form this season though, I'm not quite sure how he's our Ryan Giggs?

Dire performance today going forward. Luiz looked good at the game although I'm told he made a few mistakes, Romeu was very good, Turnbull looked comfortable and Bertrand was excellent at left back, didn't really put a foot wrong.

ReputationRep:
    HUGE issues at Chelsea.

Don't care what anyone says...we are fcuked.

LOL, Valencia in a week time...we haven't got a chance.

No... Top 4 this season either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Entity)
    HUGE issues at Chelsea.

Don't care what anyone says...we are fcuked.

LOL, Valencia in a week time...we haven't got a chance.

No... Top 4 this season either.
    We're 5th in the PL and one win away from the CL last 16. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    How do you lads think you'll fair against Newcastle this weekend?

I think we might just edge it and beat yas. Either way I can't wait for the game I can just tell it's going to be an entertaining match.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cfc1992)
    Lampard's been in excellent form this season though, I'm not quite sure how he's our Ryan Giggs?

Dire performance today going forward. Luiz looked good at the game although I'm told he made a few mistakes, Romeu was very good, Turnbull looked comfortable and Bertrand was excellent at left back, didn't really put a foot wrong.
    As in, at his age, he can still provide with some good performances, giggs played a lot of last season since valencia got that injury, he played really well too and consistantly, he did assist that rooney goal with that excellent touch in the champions league.
    Same way lampards in form and can go on for at least until he's 36. That's what I mean, even he said it, he wants to be like ryan giggs/seedorf and be instrumental to the team even at an age that wouldn't be ideal for him to do.

ReputationRep:
    I know, people are so short sighted, we were 5th in the PL last season and 15 points behind the leaders and ended up one win away from winning the league in the space of 20 games, We have 25 games left. we are 10 points behind the leaders now and 5 points behind united who are second, i really don't get how we are screwed for top 4 or even the league?
    Plus, newcastle have got to slip up sometime this season, good form and forcing wins, but they're not man united who are proven masters in this art so I don't see them doing this for the whole season which puts a spot for top 4.
    Do these people actually watch football or do they just read the sun?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingGoonIan)
    How do you lads think you'll fair against Newcastle this weekend?

I think we might just edge it and beat yas. Either way I can't wait for the game I can just tell it's going to be an entertaining match.
    You'll push for a draw, we'll step up and try to beat you guys, 2-1 chelsea or 2-2 draw. As long as sturridge and mata are on we have a potent attacking threat. Although mata isn't being used as well as he can be, but he's still our best winger with sturridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    I know, people are so short sighted, we were 5th in the PL last season and 15 points behind the leaders and ended up one win away from winning the league in the space of 20 games, We have 25 games left. we are 10 points behind the leaders now and 5 points behind united who are second, i really don't get how we are screwed for top 4 or even the league?
    Plus, newcastle have got to slip up sometime this season, good form and forcing wins, but they're not man united who are proven masters in this art so I don't see them doing this for the whole season which puts a spot for top 4.
    Do these people actually watch football or do they just read the sun?
    You were 1 game away from going top with a few games to go, not winning the league tbh.

But I think there is alot of over reaction with AVB. This guy has talent and is trying take Chelsea foward. He needs to drop Terry and Lampard imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn-er)
    Torres had non-existent service, and he did excellently with the scraps he got. Reina matched him well, so it'd be an outrage to criticise him for his performance today.

I think there's two problems affecting us. We've relied on the 'spine' too long, and when they don't play, our lack of quality to make up for what they once had becomes apparent. When they do play, it becomes even more apparent that they're on the decline, and save for Lampard, lack the desire and drive.

We need players like Kalou, Malouda, Anelka and Mikel off our books. We've always had them as players who complimented Terry, Lampard and Drogba, and now that those guys are declining, they've found it impossible to work with the new generation of players. We need to stop relying on Terry, Lampard and Drogba and either buy, or promote players from within to replace all those who've been named.

Torres, despite his poor performances is the future. We will be relying on him, and need the players to compliment him. We have no out and out wingers (Sturridge is the closest thing we have to one, who can beat the player and draw the CB, and Mata drifts in all the time, he's a player more suited to the no. 10 role) and this suffocates him. Everything's crowded around the box, and trying to pass a ball through the collection of players becomes impossible.

We need a change of formation, and change of personnel. Change of formation will be even more vital if we don't get the wingers we need, to compliment and make more use of Mata.
    Quite.

From a familiar of mine who was actually at the game:

"torres makes some awesome runs"
    "but we miss someone who can pick the pass"

I think we desperately need a centrally positioned playmaker. We tried to land one last summer (Modric, Pastore), but to no avail. Will be interesting to see what happens in January.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't see the game, but I saw Maxi's goal on Sky and it was just poor defending. I think Ivanovic - Luiz would have probably been better, but tbh, considering the side we put out, I wasn't expecting anything more than a draw.

The losses are begining to wear my patience thin.. But I'm willing to give AVB the thumbs up if he gets us a finish in the top 4 this season. January should be an important time for Chelsea and I'm expecting some big changes. With all due respect to Wolves, they're a good squad, but it doesn't mean anything if you can't get results against the top teams like Liverpool, Arsenal, Man U etc.

ReputationRep:
    Torres looks a shell of his former self.

There's no smiles when he's on the pitch, which is the biggest worry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L18)
    Torres looks a shell of his former self.

There's no smiles when he's on the pitch, which is the biggest worry.
    Wasn't much to smile out last night...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    You were 1 game away from going top with a few games to go, not winning the league tbh.

But I think there is alot of over reaction with AVB. This guy has talent and is trying take Chelsea foward. He needs to drop Terry and Lampard imo.
    As in, like the season before, when we beat man united, we pretty much secured the league then, we were never going to lose to wigan on the last day.
    That's basically what I meant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    As in, like the season before, when we beat man united, we pretty much secured the league then, we were never going to lose to wigan on the last day.
    That's basically what I meant.
    Fair enough, I thought you meant last season.

ReputationRep:
    Wasn't much to smile out last night...
    True, but its the demeanour towards his team mates which would worry me.
    He doesn't seem arsed?

ReputationRep:
    It's the way we are performing, it's shocking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L18)
    He doesn't seem arsed?
    He started the season well, even though he didnt score a flurry of goals his performances showed that he was willing to put in the extra effort on the pitch to prove people wrong. Now it seems as though he's hiding when on the pitch, which is frustrating. As long as Torres is trying, I'll support him, but its just when he seems completely disinterested I get :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L18)
    He doesn't seem arsed?
    Very little chasing/putting pressure on our CBs/full backs.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 15, 2012
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.