Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello lads. Just wanna say London> Manchester !! Good luck in the CL. Let's all just laugh at the northerners

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Can you seriously defend a team that's top of the premier league, and nearly every player in their first team have CL experience and even their reserve team has CL experience, no one can complain. What makes it worse is that there are two champions league winners in the starting 11. They're supposedly the best team, but we've never been knocked out of the CL, even before we had the money or were winning league titles so how comes they're allowed to get knocked out. Mancini said that he doesn't have the players for europe, he has 2 bloody first teams and his 3rd team has players on loan who have played in the CL e.g. bellamy, bridge and adebayor.
    Our group was just as hard as theirs, villareal were pushovers and were basically the genk of the group because of the injuries and morale. Napoli are as good as valencia, bayern are a very good team but leverkusen were above them last year and are no pushovers. We had a group like theirs and finished top, why can't they do the same thing?

United were in a rough patch in the prem and haven't scored over 1 goal in a match for a long time. They don't really have the team in midfield and I retain this, they won the league last season down to lady luck, city were content with 4th place, arsenal messed up when they lost to birmingham, and we messed up in november. We should have wrapped up the league by february if we kept our 2nd half of the season form. You still wouldn't expect them to lose, but basel aren't a crap team by any standard. shaqiri went from flank to flank, he's a player that's very similar to sturridge but with a much better delivery, and you wouldn't want a sturridge like player to have a field day against us.

I've been watching shaqiri since the euro u21 and I have to say he's a great player.
    A few players with CL experience doesn't directly imbue an entire team - a relatively new one - with the same CL experience....only TWO players in the starting line-up at that. Money quite obviously isn't the only factor - we've been in the Champions League since 1999, built on that and been there continuously for years. The same can not be said about ManCity who make their very first appearance in the competition. Their past three seasons in the LEAGUE have been great, and have as such built up to their recent successes. I stress again though, that Champions League is an unexplored territory to them as a team and I reckon that plays a massive role in their performance.

I also fail to see how our group is comparable to them. Villareal might've had issues of morale, and yes, they were the Genk of their respective group, however still yet, a far better team than Genk.

Bayern have also been at another level this season; whilst Leverkusen had a great run last season Bayern have been near untouchable this season (till quite recently) - they ripped ManCity apart and have conceded 10 fewer goals than Leverkusen in Bundesliga - finished top of their group, and are top of their league. They just had a run of 1147 minutes without conceding a goal (which in itself is remarkable considering the defenders the possess).

I agree, however, that Napoli and Valencia are on a similar level.

ManUtd have had their problems as of late, and Basel are a pretty good side. Manchester United have, on the other hand, time and time again decided to show up when the situation is critical; yesterday was evidently an exception.

City and united (especially city) has no excuse
    Still, Manchester United had one of the easier groups in the competition (definitely easier than that of ManCity or Chelsea); which is what my previous reply boils down to. In addition, with a team whose Champions League experience can not be understated (they were in the finals just a few months ago), how can they be more excused from not qualifying to the knockout stages than their City-ish counterpart?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lukledinio)
    Haha! Chelsea succkkk

Support a real team such as LIVERPOOL! :woo:
    I agree with you on this one :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G550NDH)
    Hello lads. Just wanna say London> Manchester !! Good luck in the CL. Let's all just laugh at the northerners
    North West 8 London 0

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G550NDH)
    The London teams might have got through to the last 16, but just remember that the Manchester teams are the best in England atm. Plus I cannot see Arsenal/Chelsea winning the CL, you had easy groups and will get ripped apart when the big guns take you on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinda.college)
    The London teams might have got through to the last 16, but just remember that the Manchester teams are the best in England atm. Plus I cannot see Arsenal/Chelsea winning the CL, you had easy groups and will get ripped apart when the big guns take you on.
    Are you serious about us having easy groups? so leverkusen and valencia are easy? valencia barely lost to madrid, while leverkusen were 2nd in bundesliga last season and have quality players that all the top teams would buy each and every one of them, united had an easy group, city should be good enough to go through as well, tottenham had werder bremen and inter and were 3rd seed, yet they were top of the group.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UnWise)
    A few players with CL experience doesn't directly imbue an entire team - a relatively new one - with the same CL experience....only TWO players in the starting line-up at that. Money quite obviously isn't the only factor - we've been in the Champions League since 1999, built on that and been there continuously for years. The same can not be said about ManCity who make their very first appearance in the competition. Their past three seasons in the LEAGUE have been great, and have as such built up to their recent successes. I stress again though, that Champions League is an unexplored territory to them as a team and I reckon that plays a massive role in their performance.

I also fail to see how our group is comparable to them. Villareal might've had issues of morale, and yes, they were the Genk of their respective group, however still yet, a far better team than Genk.

Bayern have also been at another level this season; whilst Leverkusen had a great run last season Bayern have been near untouchable this season (till quite recently) - they ripped ManCity apart and have conceded 10 fewer goals than Leverkusen in Bundesliga - finished top of their group, and are top of their league. They just had a run of 1147 minutes without conceding a goal (which in itself is remarkable considering the defenders the possess).

I agree, however, that Napoli and Valencia are on a similar level.

ManUtd have had their problems as of late, and Basel are a pretty good side. Manchester United have, on the other hand, time and time again decided to show up when the situation is critical; yesterday was evidently an exception.

Still, Manchester United had one of the easier groups in the competition (definitely easier than that of ManCity or Chelsea); which is what my previous reply boils down to. In addition, with a team whose Champions League experience can not be understated (they were in the finals just a few months ago), how can they be more excused from not qualifying to the knockout stages than their City-ish counterpart?
    I guarentee you, even in our poor form, we would have topped that group or at the very least qualified for city and united.
    The thing is, united aren't actually that good player wise, this is reminiscent to the united team of the early 2000's, where the old players of the first fergie generation started to get at their peak like keane and co. and the replacements weren't up to scratch, djemba-djemba, alan smith, veron etc.
    Couple that with young signings that are quality but are just 18, rooney and ronaldo, this is what happens.
    Same way scholes and giggs, ones left while the other can't play week in week out and perform at his best are being poorly replaced by anderson, (won't say too much about cleverley cos he might be the replacement) and a stale midfield with carrick. Then you have johnny evans, phil jones, chris smalling rotating every week and your fullbacks injured every other game while they're pretty young too.
    De gea is a lamb to the slaughter, no doubt he'll become a great player, but people were expecting him to be as good as petr cech.

That's why united can't be considered, they don't have a good enough team, and got lucky with the league last year, but you'll never hear a united fan say this, that's why they got beat by city and were overrun in midfield.
    I think rooney is overrated, keane said 'if he got good support he'll score,' nani got so many crosses in it was unbelievable but rooney misses a sitter and doesn't get to the end of the other crosses.

Now look at city, can you find any weakness in their team? They have two first teams so have enough depth, somehow they have team harmony, hence them killing off teams so easily, but they can't keep a clean sheet, and can't do anything in europe.

Also about us being in the comp since 1999, that was the first time, the second time we went in the comp was 2003-2004 season, right after RA took the club. We got through the first time like tottenham did. How comes city can't do that either? They have no excuse, look at arsenal and chelsea's 'crisis' this season, has city had a crisis like that? Nope but they can't even get through their group when their first team is at bayern's level, also has napoli been in CL recently? Man city have a better team even including the strikers so they have no excuse.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/...salomon-kalou-

Yeah I know its off topic atm and its Goal but I'm pleased to report to you that Kalou is attracting interest from PSG, inflated prices ftw! :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iRush)

Yeah I know its off topic atm and its Goal but I'm pleased to report to you that Kalou is attracting interest from PSG, inflated prices ftw! :P
    Lets see if we can get 1 million for him.

ReputationRep:
    United had such an easy group, not qualifying from that is HUGELY embarrassing for them

(Original post by Cannotbelieveit)
    United had such an easy group, not qualifying from that is HUGELY embarrassing for them
    It's almost like your usertitle was written expressly for this situation :rofl2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hemzo)

Anyone heard about Anelka's move to China? :teehee:
    Im sure the league is very bad, but to be fair I've been to Shanghai and its an amazing city. The NY of China.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iRush)

Very much hope he goes. His race at Chelsea has been well and truly run.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iRush)

They can have him for 50p... Possibly throw Malouda in there for free as well

ReputationRep:
    I guarentee you, even in our poor form, we would have topped that group or at the very least qualified for city and united.
    The thing is, united aren't actually that good player wise, this is reminiscent to the united team of the early 2000's, where the old players of the first fergie generation started to get at their peak like keane and co. and the replacements weren't up to scratch, djemba-djemba, alan smith, veron etc.
    Couple that with young signings that are quality but are just 18, rooney and ronaldo, this is what happens.
    Same way scholes and giggs, ones left while the other can't play week in week out and perform at his best are being poorly replaced by anderson, (won't say too much about cleverley cos he might be the replacement) and a stale midfield with carrick. Then you have johnny evans, phil jones, chris smalling rotating every week and your fullbacks injured every other game while they're pretty young too.
    De gea is a lamb to the slaughter, no doubt he'll become a great player, but people were expecting him to be as good as petr cech.

That's why united can't be considered, they don't have a good enough team, and got lucky with the league last year, but you'll never hear a united fan say this, that's why they got beat by city and were overrun in midfield.
    I think rooney is overrated, keane said 'if he got good support he'll score,' nani got so many crosses in it was unbelievable but rooney misses a sitter and doesn't get to the end of the other crosses.

Now look at city, can you find any weakness in their team? They have two first teams so have enough depth, somehow they have team harmony, hence them killing off teams so easily, but they can't keep a clean sheet, and can't do anything in europe.

Also about us being in the comp since 1999, that was the first time, the second time we went in the comp was 2003-2004 season, right after RA took the club. We got through the first time like tottenham did. How comes city can't do that either? They have no excuse, look at arsenal and chelsea's 'crisis' this season, has city had a crisis like that? Nope but they can't even get through their group when their first team is at bayern's level, also has napoli been in CL recently? Man city have a better team even including the strikers so they have no excuse.
    We're just gonna have to agree to disagree mate. Can't be bothered

ReputationRep:
    Why do bitter/angry City/United/Liverpool fans bother posting here? It's clearly for Chelsea fans...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dmallory42)
    Why do bitter/angry City/United/Liverpool fans bother posting here? It's clearly for Chelsea fans...
    The best was the newcastle game, them complaining because they got thrashed when they had good possession, if they wanna complain about having chances and not scoring, they should go to the liverpool thread.

:nah: It's for anyone to discuss Chelsea FC, just as anyone can discuss the relevant club in the other specific club threads; it isn't exclusive for Chelsea fans in any way.

ReputationRep:
    This thread is not exclusive to Chelsea fans in the same way that the whole site is not exclusive to students.

ReputationRep:

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 15, 2012
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.