Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingMessi)
    He's said on multiple occasions that he wants to finish his career here. If he wasn't such a committed professional then I'd harbour more doubt about his position, but I don't see him as the type to change his mind on that statement on the basis of having to fight for his place.
    Lack of playing time, money, impact on international career and happiness all have a massive impact on what a player will or will not do.

Tbh the Euros will probably be Lampard's last major tournament so I can't imagine impact on international career being a big issue. He's not going to force a move in January and after the summer it will be irrelevant.

Money shouldn't be an issue, he's been a high earner for years now and should be set for life (or a few).

Really it's a matter of whether he wants continued playing time or he's happy to come in and out of the side. He's 34 in the summer so perhaps only has another year or two at the top level but could easily play in the league for 3 years but then he could probably go play in China or MLS and play for even longer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rock Fan)
    I just seen Michael Essien is at the Alexandra Palance tonight watching the World Darts Championships.
    Lol, glad to see he is enjoying himself. He will be warmly welcomed back
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    he is loving it, he is getting booed a few times though and a few who are ya chants, but it was a present from his girlfriend the darts tickets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Lack of playing time, money, impact on international career and happiness all have a massive impact on what a player will or will not do.

Tbh the Euros will probably be Lampard's last major tournament so I can't imagine impact on international career being a big issue. He's not going to force a move in January and after the summer it will be irrelevant.

Money shouldn't be an issue, he's been a high earner for years now and should be set for life (or a few).

Really it's a matter of whether he wants continued playing time or he's happy to come in and out of the side. He's 34 in the summer so perhaps only has another year or two at the top level but could easily play in the league for 3 years but then he could probably go play in China or MLS and play for even longer.
    That's all true, but, regardless, I don't see Lampard doing anything other than seeing out his contract. Of course, there will come a stage when he's not up to top-level Premier League football any more, where, as you say, he could find a lucrative foreign deal. I don't necessarily see him emulating Scholes or Giggs (as much as I'd like to see him do so). Perhaps I'm merely naive, but I do think that he'll fight for his place this season certainly, and most probably next season.

Do you happen to know when he's contracted until?

ReputationRep:
    That's all true, but, regardless, I don't see Lampard doing anything other than seeing out his contract. Of course, there will come a stage when he's not up to top-level Premier League football any more, where, as you say, he could find a lucrative foreign deal. I don't necessarily see him emulating Scholes or Giggs (as much as I'd like to see him do so). Perhaps I'm merely naive, but I do think that he'll fight for his place this season certainly, and most probably next season.

Do you happen to know when he's contracted until?
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...elsea-contract

Contracted to summer 2013 (i.e. 18 months left).

I'd agree, I don't think he's technical enough or enough intelligence to his game to adapt to a deep/playmaking/conducter role that Scholes and Giggs did/do respectively. Problem is that his favoured position requires the most fitness and athleticism which he's only going to lose.

Chelsea should be looking to play:

................Torres.......... ...
    (winger).....Mata......Sturridge
    ..........Romeu...Eissen........ .
    Cole....Terry...Luiz....Ivanovic
    .................Cech........... .....

Can't work out who to play on the left. The obvious choice is Anelka but he's leaving. Malouda isn't good enough imo but guess he's the natural choice for now.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...elsea-contract

Contracted to summer 2013 (i.e. 18 months left).

I'd agree, I don't think he's technical enough or enough intelligence to his game to adapt to a deep/playmaking/conducter role that Scholes and Giggs did/do respectively. Problem is that his favoured position requires the most fitness and athleticism which he's only going to lose.

Chelsea should be looking to play:

................Torres.......... ...
    (winger).....Mata......Sturridge
    ..........Romeu...Eissen........ .
    Cole....Terry...Luiz....Ivanovic
    .................Cech........... .....

Can't work out who to play on the left. The obvious choice is Anelka but he's leaving. Malouda isn't good enough imo but guess he's the natural choice for now.
    Ah yes, thank you very much for that article. As it mentions, he shall be thirty-five when it reaches its end, and then he'll almost certainly leave the club. He has been a fantastic box-to-box midfielder, but that can't last. His only option to prolong his top-level career after that is to adapt, but I have doubts over the likelihood of him doing that.

I agree for the most part with your team. It does have to be Malouda for now, I suppose. I actually prefer Ramires to Essien right now; we can't conjecture as to how Essien will play when he returns, and Ramires is so much better than the erratic player he was last September. Perhaps Kakuta, next season? How has he been playing?

I should really know these things.

ReputationRep:
    Ah yes, thank you very much for that article. As it mentions, he shall be thirty-five when it reaches its end, and then he'll almost certainly leave the club. He has been a fantastic box-to-box midfielder, but that can't last. His only option to prolong his top-level career after that is to adapt, but I have doubts over the likelihood of him doing that.

I agree for the most part with your team. It does have to be Malouda for now, I suppose. I actually prefer Ramires to Essien right now; we can't conjecture as to how Essien will play when he returns, and Ramires is so much better than the erratic player he was last September. Perhaps Kakuta, next season? How has he been playing?

All good mate, no one knows how Kakuta is playing, he doesn't play for Bolton...hopefully he'll get a chance =o

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iRush)
    All good mate, no one knows how Kakuta is playing, he doesn't play for Bolton...hopefully he'll get a chance =o
    Ha, well, I wasn't actually aware that he was at Bolton. :confused: Bolton seems to be the feeder club of choice right now. Perhaps McEachran should go there in January. I hope that he does get a chance; he may make an impact as large as that of Sturridge; who knows?

ReputationRep:

Completely forgot about Ramires! Yep him in the middle with Mikel and Eissen as the two back up options for CM, Lampard/Meireles for back up to Mata.

Chelsea need to buy a couple of wingers to play on the right and left. Torres, Drogba, Sturridge and Lukaku should really be enough up front but I'd imagine a striker at the top of his game will be bought sooner or later.

Not so sure about the defence anymore, a couple of years ago that backline was completely solid. Wonder how long the likes of Cole, Terry and Cech can really keep up. They seem to have fallen from the peaks of their power tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Completely forgot about Ramires! Yep him in the middle with Mikel and Eissen as the two back up options for CM, Lampard/Meireles for back up to Mata.

Chelsea need to buy a couple of wingers to play on the right and left. Torres, Drogba, Sturridge and Lukaku should really be enough up front but I'd imagine a striker at the top of his game will be bought sooner or later.

Not so sure about the defence anymore, a couple of years ago that backline was completely solid. Wonder how long the likes of Cole, Terry and Cech can really keep up. They seem to have fallen from the peaks of their power tbh.
    Yes, I did think that that was slightly odd - Essien was fantastic at his peak; not so much now, I think.

I do agree. I like Sturridge on the wing; he's doing very well there - but someone like Hazard would be fantastic. Well, it depends on how Lukaku does, I think. If he fulfils his potential, none should be needed.

No, nor am I - nor is anyone, I think. Cech has looked off for a good two years now; Cole was fantastic up until this season, and Terry has been exposed a lot. The problem is that we have no young players to replace them with.

ReputationRep:
    Guess who wants to move from their club...

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/3274/...play-for-a-big

:awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hemzo)

Yes but he wants to move to a big club

My guess is that he's pissed off that PSG got knocked out of the Europa League. If they get CL football next season, he'll stay for longer. PSG paid a massive fee for him and have no money issues as it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hemzo)

:lolwut: Well, he did have the opportunity to join a 'big club' in the summer, didn't he? :confused:

ReputationRep:

My guess is that he's pissed off that PSG got knocked out of the Europa League. If they get CL football next season, he'll stay for longer. PSG paid a massive fee for him and have no money issues as it is.
    PSG got knocked out of the Europa League? :lol:

ReputationRep:

Tbh, I thought he wouldn't have chosen the French League since it isn't really the best league in Europe, the best league is probably the Spanish or English league. Can't remember how much exactly we were willing to pay for him, somewhere in the £30m region, but I really didn't understand it.. This was before we bought Meireles and I'm pretty sure he would have got a place in the starting 11 if he had come to Chelsea.

As it stands atm in the French League, PSG are joint first with Montpellier with 36 points, but realistically, I don't think PSG will be a dominant force in the CL

ReputationRep:
    :lolwut: Well, he did have the opportunity to join a 'big club' in the summer, didn't he? :confused:
    Exactly :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I did think that that was slightly odd - Essien was fantastic at his peak; not so much now, I think.

I do agree. I like Sturridge on the wing; he's doing very well there - but someone like Hazard would be fantastic. Well, it depends on how Lukaku does, I think. If he fulfils his potential, none should be needed.

No, nor am I - nor is anyone, I think. Cech has looked off for a good two years now; Cole was fantastic up until this season, and Terry has been exposed a lot. The problem is that we have no young players to replace them with.
    Bertrand/ PvA for Ashley Cole and Jef Bruma and Rajkovic who we can buy back to replace Terry? =o

ReputationRep:
    Napoli are over rated, when we beat napoli, will it now shut up the chelsea and AVB doubters?
    Lavezzi, hamsik and cavani are good players, but we have more experience, and we always lose to the finalists of the competition in the year for the champions league. I highly doubt they're going to the champions league final.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, no Ramires or Luiz in the starting line up, must be giving Ramires a well deserved rest. Nice to see McEachran on the bench hopefully he gets some play time today!

Edit: I should really read first. Luiz and Ramires have knocks with 80% chances to make the Spurs game.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hemzo)

I'm sure not taking him, he bloody bottled it when he had the chance.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 15, 2012
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.