Turn on thread page Beta

:congrats:

Oh well, the good thing is that when we qualify for the Europa league then there will be at least one competition we enter next season that we stand a chance of winning.

ReputationRep:
    Credit to their keeper who had a very good game, not much we could have done about that. But we could have done something about their goal. I thought Cech could have done better to dive across as the ball was coming in, and also how do Terry and Luiz let Dempsey slip between them?

Questionable subs were made again. Lampard off for Malouda? Why not put someone like Kalou on who can actually be effective as a late sub? Then Sturridge for Drogba? Why take off your highest scoring player instead of Torres who didn't look like he was going to change the game? And then play Torres on the right wing, because he's totally going to play better there...

Looks like we're out of this race. I hope we can at least focus on the CL, which seems ambitious but if we get 1 or 2 good signings this january then you never know...

ReputationRep:
    Cech could've saved that goal!

ReputationRep:
    I was at the game; the lack of inventiveness in the team is laughable. A lot of possession, a lot of intent but so little ability in the final third.

ReputationRep:
    Fulham played well enough to get the draw, there was absolutely no pace to the play in the first half and up until we brought on Malouda we struggled to create any meaningful opportunities. I was gonna say that first half was the poorest I've seen us play in a while but I saw us play against Wigan two weeks ago -_-. Torres tried, but again it didn't happen for him. Luiz played a really good game, was on top of their striker all day and never let him get in behind. Just such a shame for the the goal, poor defending from about 2 or 3 players so soon after Mata's goal.
    We mostly likely wont do much in January but we need another midfielder in my opinion or give McEachren a run in the team. Frank was poor today, and although Mierieles is a good player, I think we could do better?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hatchet)
    We mostly likely wont do much in January but we need another midfielder in my opinion or give McEachren a run in the team. Frank was poor today, and although Mierieles is a good player, I think we could do better?
    AVB says he won't do much even though he knows he has to buy, but he'll probably wait till summer but I think he just might nip in one player besides Cahill or any other CB coming in. Imo I thought Frank played well in the role he was given and Meireles was poor today, think he should have come off not Frank.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonah Ramone)
    I can't even be annoyed about this, it's exactly what I've come to expect.
    Liverpool are in the same position, 3 draws in a row, that's some poor form, What makes it worse is that cech is at fault for all those goals, we can't handle low crosses.
    How did we not win that match? It's getting annoying. We've kissed our title hopes goodbye today. Still think we can make 3rd or 2nd place though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Liverpool are in the same position, 3 draws in a row, that's some poor form, What makes it worse is that cech is at fault for all those goals, we can't handle low crosses.
    How did we not win that match? It's getting annoying. We've kissed our title hopes goodbye today. Still think we can make 3rd or 2nd place though.
    Over whom? there is no way in hell Chelsea can make 2nd, to make top four is flipping a coin! because Manchester clubs are in a two horse race by far, look at their goal difference compared to the rest of the league, it's quite embarrassing, meanwhile SPURS will take 3rd... they have a better squad than the chavs & they are getting better results + have a better manager.

then we have Chelsea, Liverpool & Arsenal fighting for 4th, so for Chelsea your aim this season is to stay in the champions league, because your team is average with poor performances, forget 2nd and 1st asap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mistersjmcg)
    Over whom? there is no way in hell Chelsea can make 2nd, to make top four is flipping a coin! because Manchester clubs are in a two horse race by far, look at their goal difference compared to the rest of the league, it's quite embarrassing, meanwhile SPURS will take 3rd... they have a better squad than the chavs & they are getting better results + have a better manager.

then we have Chelsea, Liverpool & Arsenal fighting for 4th, so for Chelsea your aim this season is to stay in the champions league, because your team is average with poor performances, forget 2nd and 1st asap.
    Agreed. It hurts me to say so as a Chelsea fan, but the absolute best that we can hope for now is third; we're eleven points behind a Manchester United side that have the experience and squad depth to hold out for the remainder of a long, gruelling season; Chelsea are falling by the wayside. Even third is looking more and more distant; if Tottenham win their two games in hand they shall tear seven points ahead of us. Fourth would be a productive season, albeit nowhere near the heights that we were anticipating when Andre Villas-Boas joined us.

ReputationRep:
    I actually wouldn't mind if AVB waited till next season to play his football and play football that would secure us 3rd/4th because that is priority now! Buy the players he wants in the summer and change the squad as much as he thinks is required.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iRush)
    I actually wouldn't mind if AVB waited till next season to play his football and play football that would secure us 3rd/4th because that is priority now! Buy the players he wants in the summer and change the squad as much as he thinks is required.
    Yes, it would seem like we should revert to the 'old' Chelsea now - but unfortunately the Chelsea with the power and stamina to batter teams into submission is close to no longer existing. Honestly, neither style of play seems to have truly worked this season. There have been glimpses of both, but not for prolonged periods of time.

What I can't understand is how one poor result - i.e. Wigan - can suddenly throw off all the momentum gained in that brief flurry of good results. What exactly is hindering our performances? Expectation? Fear of failure? If they (the players) genuinely believe the title ambition is dead, as I think all the fans do, then surely that should give them the freedom to just go out there and do their jobs in securing the next best thing. Kinda like what happened with Ancelotti after everyone wrote us out of the title race and we pulled back into it. I get the feeling that there is something psychological holding us back, like Torres' dark cloud has infected them all.

I'd personally like AVB to buy at least two players in ADDITION to Cahill/A. N. Other centre back to shake things up. Perhaps it will revive the team a bit and encourage people to train and perform a little bit better for their places, since they know that atm only young and inexperienced players are there to take over.

ReputationRep:
    I think this just shows how dearly we miss Ramires.

:sigh:

ReputationRep:
    What I can't understand is how one poor result - i.e. Wigan - can suddenly throw off all the momentum gained in that brief flurry of good results. What exactly is hindering our performances? Expectation? Fear of failure? If they (the players) genuinely believe the title ambition is dead, as I think all the fans do, then surely that should give them the freedom to just go out there and do their jobs in securing the next best thing. Kinda like what happened with Ancelotti after everyone wrote us out of the title race and we pulled back into it. I get the feeling that there is something psychological holding us back, like Torres' dark cloud has infected them all.

I'd personally like AVB to buy at least two players in ADDITION to Cahill/A. N. Other centre back to shake things up. Perhaps it will revive the team a bit and encourage people to train and perform a little bit better for their places, since they know that atm only young and inexperienced players are there to take over.
    I personally feel that it's a lack of invention. Even when we played (and beat) Manchester City, I didn't feel like we were especially inventive; we scored a penalty, and one of our rare well-worked moves. I suppose fear of failure could be a factor, but having watched us throughout the year, once we get within thirty yards of goal against a packed defence we run out of ideas. If a team attacks us and leaves space like Manchester City/Tottenham/Valencia, we stand a chance, but over the last few years we've had results like 0-0 at home to Hull, 0-0 away to Stoke (not a bad result, but an indifferent performance), 1-1 against Wigan, 1-1 against Fulham, 1-0 against Blackburn...we don't have enough players who can create when necessary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by USB)

Definitely. One thing I noticed in the match today was that Fulham packed the box full of players when we had the ball. Most of the time we were just attempting long range shots outside the box because we couldn't break in. Ramires' game is adapted to charging into the box with pace, something not offered by our other midfielders.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isometrix)
    Credit to their keeper who had a very good game, not much we could have done about that. But we could have done something about their goal. I thought Cech could have done better to dive across as the ball was coming in, and also how do Terry and Luiz let Dempsey slip between them?

Questionable subs were made again. Lampard off for Malouda? Why not put someone like Kalou on who can actually be effective as a late sub? Then Sturridge for Drogba? Why take off your highest scoring player instead of Torres who didn't look like he was going to change the game? And then play Torres on the right wing, because he's totally going to play better there...

Looks like we're out of this race. I hope we can at least focus on the CL, which seems ambitious but if we get 1 or 2 good signings this january then you never know...
    I honestly think we can win the CL.
    We need a midfield, We are screaming for essien to come back now, without him or ramires, we lack quality in opening up the midfield. We need depth in the wings that isn't malouda. But besides that our squad is fine to win the CL.

ReputationRep:
    We need a midfield, We are screaming for essien to come back now, without him or ramires, we lack quality in opening up the midfield. We need depth in the wings that isn't malouda. But besides that our squad is fine to win the CL.
    You do? I personally think that Barcelona, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich would disembowel us...

ReputationRep:
    Haha I meant we should just focus on the CL, but I don't expect us to win it. Just we now have a better shot at that than the PL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingMessi)
    Yes, it would seem like we should revert to the 'old' Chelsea now - but unfortunately the Chelsea with the power and stamina to batter teams into submission is close to no longer existing. Honestly, neither style of play seems to have truly worked this season. There have been glimpses of both, but not for prolonged periods of time.
    That's true, even though we've only lost a couple of the players from that time, the players that are left just can't repeat that.

It has to be psychological. I think the team has become Torres in a way, loss of confidence because of one stupid draw against Wigan. According to this logic, United's 5-0 win over them today should dent us. I agree, I would also like AVB to buy someone else besides Cahill. Just like last season as you said, we were written off and we came back with a 15 point difference, this all happened cause the psychological pressure was off and competition of places increased with Torres and Luiz joining us, there was a hype and Luiz scored 2 important goals to help us beat Man City and United last season! I'm not saying we go out and buy everytime we fail but right now, it's what we need to do. I hear Milos Krasic wants to leave Juventus in January, he could be a candidate for right wing? He's an out and out winger.

(Original post by USB)

We can't function without him anymore :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    To be honest we could crack the CL this year, as long as we don't have face two or more from Real, Barca or Bayern.
    We could edge Bayern and Real when at our best, and for Barca that'll be down to the ref, won't it. :rolleyes:

It'll be hard, but we should focus strongly on that as I don't think United and City will drop the points to allow us to catch up.

What did you guys think of Torres today?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.