Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iRush)
    That's true, even though we've only lost a couple of the players from that time, the players that are left just can't repeat that.

It has to be psychological. I think the team has become Torres in a way, loss of confidence because of one stupid draw against Wigan. According to this logic, United's 5-0 win over them today should dent us. I agree, I would also like AVB to buy someone else besides Cahill. Just like last season as you said, we were written off and we came back with a 15 point difference, this all happened cause the psychological pressure was off and competition of places increased with Torres and Luiz joining us, there was a hype and Luiz scored 2 important goals to help us beat Man City and United last season! I'm not saying we go out and buy everytime we fail but right now, it's what we need to do. I hear Milos Krasic wants to leave Juventus in January, he could be a candidate for right wing? He's an out and out winger.

We can't function without him anymore :sigh:
    Precisely. Of all of the Mourinho players, I don't think that one is amongst the top in his position in the world any longer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by USB)
    To be honest we could crack the CL this year, as long as we don't have face two or more from Real, Barca or Bayern.
    We could edge Bayern and Real when at our best, and for Barca that'll be down to the ref, won't it. :rolleyes:

It'll be hard, but we should focus strongly on that as I don't think United and City will drop the points to allow us to catch up.

What did you guys think of Torres today?
    When we got cheated out of beating Barcelona in 2009, we had the powerful, efficient Chelsea at their peak. Essien, Drogba, Anelka, Terry, Lampard, Cech were the spine of a very strong side that could resist a lot of pressure. That side has deteriorated, whereas Barcelona go from strength to strength. Bayern have players with the creativity to rip us to shreds, as do Madrid. With the holes we leave in our team, Higuain, Ronaldo and Ozil would have a field day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mistersjmcg)
    Over whom? there is no way in hell Chelsea can make 2nd, to make top four is flipping a coin! because Manchester clubs are in a two horse race by far, look at their goal difference compared to the rest of the league, it's quite embarrassing, meanwhile SPURS will take 3rd... they have a better squad than the chavs & they are getting better results + have a better manager.

then we have Chelsea, Liverpool & Arsenal fighting for 4th, so for Chelsea your aim this season is to stay in the champions league, because your team is average with poor performances, forget 2nd and 1st asap.
    Not really. I understand that we've pretty much lost the title, but since we're 11 points behind, last season we drew that gap to 3 points, I can see a winning streak, with players bought in january and a bolstered midfield, it's not that our team isn't good enough, it's that we're inconsistent. Chelsea's team is not average, we're just not in form and we depend too much on players like ramires etc.

I don't think hope is lost yet, but the title is very hard to reach, but there is no way i see chelsea scrapping for 4th. Also, to say that our manager isn't as good as redknapp, when has redknapp won the treble in any league? We aren't getting the results, but I think that with one convincing victory, chelsea will be back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingMessi)
    You do? I personally think that Barcelona, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich would disembowel us...
    The thing is, we could buy the players that we actually need to win the competition or do a fluke like liverpool did, but remember last season, buying players put us in this stupid striker problem where our striker can't score, meireles frustrates me with his reluctance to tackle but is good going forward and I don't know what's happening with lampard.
    Munich would be a tough match, but I think you're underestimating our team, we beat city, who wiped the floor off united a couple of weeks before. I'm sure with a bit of luck, we can beat those teams although I would personally avoid Madrid and Barcelona because they are on another level, Munich, well their form in europe has been good in that group, but our home form in europe has probably been the best out of every team so I reckon that we would win the home leg against them and force a draw in the away.
    CL isn't out of the question, we have to beat napoli first before we say this though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isometrix)
    Haha I meant we should just focus on the CL, but I don't expect us to win it. Just we now have a better shot at that than the PL.
    Neither do I expect us to win it, I see a 5th loss in the semi final :facepalm2:. I don't fancy a rematch vs barcelona, they're stronger than last time and our defence isn't as good as last time to handle messi for 180 minutes like we did in 09. With that, I still think we have a chance, we need lampard to get back to how he was before his injury last year and hopefully essien will come back good and for meireles to step up majorly, if that happens, we have a chance with midfield depth. Our best defender atm is john terry, ashley cole hasn't been doing too well recently besides the assist vs tottenham. We need a victory, a good victory like a 4-0, then we can look at getting consistent results.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iRush)
    That's true, even though we've only lost a couple of the players from that time, the players that are left just can't repeat that.

It has to be psychological. I think the team has become Torres in a way, loss of confidence because of one stupid draw against Wigan. According to this logic, United's 5-0 win over them today should dent us. I agree, I would also like AVB to buy someone else besides Cahill. Just like last season as you said, we were written off and we came back with a 15 point difference, this all happened cause the psychological pressure was off and competition of places increased with Torres and Luiz joining us, there was a hype and Luiz scored 2 important goals to help us beat Man City and United last season! I'm not saying we go out and buy everytime we fail but right now, it's what we need to do. I hear Milos Krasic wants to leave Juventus in January, he could be a candidate for right wing? He's an out and out winger.

We can't function without him anymore :sigh:
    Yup. Krasic would be a good choice, we haven't had a proper right winger for some time. I don't think we need a gareth bale type winger specifically though, but we need a winger as backup to sturridge and mata or for rotation so they don't get tired, krasic would be a good choice. We should have tried to buy afellay last season. He was only 3 million euros.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingMessi)
    When we got cheated out of beating Barcelona in 2009, we had the powerful, efficient Chelsea at their peak. Essien, Drogba, Anelka, Terry, Lampard, Cech were the spine of a very strong side that could resist a lot of pressure. That side has deteriorated, whereas Barcelona go from strength to strength. Bayern have players with the creativity to rip us to shreds, as do Madrid. With the holes we leave in our team, Higuain, Ronaldo and Ozil would have a field day.
    True, although, I could see us beating munich, if we keep the supply to gomez out, they will not score goals and we will almost certainly win.
    Real madrid, mourinho's team, we don't stand a chance, every one of their strikers will score against us at least once.
    Barcelona, down to the ref, but if arsenal stood a chance last season and if they had beat birmingham last season, they would have beaten barcelona. So they're not invincible, we were stronger than them in 09, but they're better than us now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    True, although, I could see us beating munich, if we keep the supply to gomez out, they will not score goals and we will almost certainly win.
    Real madrid, mourinho's team, we don't stand a chance, every one of their strikers will score against us at least once.
    Barcelona, down to the ref, but if arsenal stood a chance last season and if they had beat birmingham last season, they would have beaten barcelona. So they're not invincible, we were stronger than them in 09, but they're better than us now.
    You're deluded if you think you've got a chance against Munich and Barca tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    You're deluded if you think you've got a chance against Munich and Barca tbh.
    Of course we have a chance, we can fluke it, I said i'll rather not face them because of how strong they are. But we have a chance of beating them. But in 2009, people said we had no chance against barcelona, yet we were pretty close to beating them that day compared to united in the final who people thought would beat barcelona since their team could actually rival them that year.
    Also, people said arsenal had no chance last season compared to madrid and united, but arsenal were the only team to beat them in the knockouts and were one goal away from beating them. To completely write off chelsea's chances is probably more deluded.

Also, when you actually look at chelsea's performances, it's always a silly defensive error that lets us down in the match. If the whole squad could play at their best at the same time, chelsea would not be in this mess, but our strikers are still not scoring and we can't keep a clean sheet, that's the main essence of the problem, the midfield is fine, one of lampard and meireles need to step up and work harder but ramires and romeu are top quality, if ramires could finish one on ones, our problems would have been solved since it's only him and sturridge in the main goalscoring positions who look likely to score. Torres is never there in the right positions and when he's there he has a poor first touch, and drogba can't lay the ball to his teammate to save his life and is missing the whole game. That's basically why chelsea are playing crap and everyone has written us off, anyway, this happened last season and chelsea came back from it so we'll see around march where we are.

ReputationRep:
    Of course we have a chance, we can fluke it, I said i'll rather not face them because of how strong they are. But we have a chance of beating them. But in 2009, people said we had no chance against barcelona, yet we were pretty close to beating them that day compared to united in the final who people thought would beat barcelona since their team could actually rival them that year.
    Also, people said arsenal had no chance last season compared to madrid and united, but arsenal were the only team to beat them in the knockouts and were one goal away from beating them. To completely write off chelsea's chances is probably more deluded.
    Well obviously you have a chance, but in all seriousness, you'll get pummelled. Chelsea have declined since 09, Barca have improved a lot. Bayern probably have the 3rd best team by some way behind Barca/Madrid too.

You mean Arsenal had a small chance of fluking it? They had 0 shots, and only scored through an OG. On another day, Barca could have had 5 or 6 in that match, and once Barca got that 3rd goal it was game over.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    Well obviously you have a chance, but in all seriousness, you'll get pummelled. Chelsea have declined since 09, Barca have improved a lot. Bayern probably have the 3rd best team by some way behind Barca/Madrid too.

You mean Arsenal had a small chance of fluking it? They had 0 shots, and only scored through an OG. On another day, Barca could have had 5 or 6 in that match, and once Barca got that 3rd goal it was game over.
    Yeah that's true about arsenal, but they were the closest to beating them last year, it's about the scoreline at the end of the day not the performance. Teams are judged on results. Otherwise barca would have beaten inter 9-0 in 2010, i've never seen a team in their own half for 90 mins and get away with a win until that game.
    Although i'm not fully convinced with bayern munich, they topped a hard group, but villareal were injury ravaged from the 2nd week onwards and doing poor in the league so it was an easy 3 points against them, napoli and man city were both newcomers, one being managed by a guy who has a dire record in the champions league with 2 teams that had the quality to win it(city and inter) and the other team is still not at the level of their team in the 80's but is a good above average team around the level of valencia/leverkusen and not very good or fantastic like the typical big guns of the past 5 years barca/madrid/united/chelsea/arsenal/inter/AC. Bayern were always going to win that group.

Anyway, we were looking to get pummeled by man city a couple of weeks ago, that didn't happen? To say we'll get pummeled in all seriousness is not a good prediction, the team is good enough, they aren't performing like they should. Chelsea have a better team than 10/11 season and our home record in the champions league has been the best out of all the teams this year.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that's true about arsenal, but they were the closest to beating them last year, it's about the scoreline not the performance. Otherwise barca would have beaten inter 9-0 in 2010, i've never seen a team in their own half for 90 mins and get away with a win until that game.
    Although i'm not fully convinced with bayern munich, they topped a hard group, but villareal were injury ravaged from the 2nd week onwards and doing poor in the league so it was an easy 3 points against them, napoli and man city were both newcomers, one being managed by a guy who has a dire record in the champions league with 2 teams that had the quality to win it(city and inter) and the other team is still not at the level of their team in the 80's but is a good team around the level of valencia/leverkusen. Bayern were always going to win that group.

Anyway, we were looking to get pummeled by man city a couple of weeks ago, that didn't happen? To say we'll get pummeled in all seriousness is not a good prediction, the team is good enough, they aren't performing like they should. Chelsea have a better team than 10/11 season and our home record in the champions league has been the best out of all the teams this year.
    Bayern/Barca/Madrid>>>>>>>>>City.

Home form counts for nothing if you're shocking away from home. No point winning 1-0 at SB, then conceding 3 or 4 away. And even then, you're home form wasn't really tested, seeing as Valencia and Leverkusen didn't turn up at SB, and Genk aren't much of a threat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    You still lost though, and Bayern/Barca/Madrid>>>City.

Home form counts for nothing if you're shocking away from home. No point winning 1-0 at SB, then conceding 3 or 4 away.
    Ok we lost to barcelona by an away goal, nothing else was in it in the game, you can at least say by that that we matched them, compare that to the 2-0 and 3-1 spankings united got in rome and wembley. Would you say barca are better than chelsea for drawing with us twice?

But, in stamford bridge for CL, we won 2-0, 5-0 and 3-0. You can't tell me that isn't good home form? I assure you, if we win by a margin like that in our home leg, more times than not chelsea will go through to the next round.

City in the PL have the best form in all the major leagues. Better than barcelona's and munichs, do you expect munich to have a start like city's in the PL? Chelsea beat a team that was unbeaten and had only drawn twice at the time.

Also, chelsea's away form in the Cl, 1-1, 1-1, 2-1 loss. It's not shocking away form, but it's not the best form obviously.

ReputationRep:
    Yup. Krasic would be a good choice, we haven't had a proper right winger for some time. I don't think we need a gareth bale type winger specifically though, but we need a winger as backup to sturridge and mata or for rotation so they don't get tired, krasic would be a good choice. We should have tried to buy afellay last season. He was only 3 million euros.
    If we're looking at a rotation winger then I would personally look into Hoilett. The guy already plays in the PL, would not cost much as he's from a close-to-relegated Blackburn side, and can provide cover on both flanks. He could do miles better at a top side.

ReputationRep:
    We could do with a playmaker aswell, we lack someone who can open up the opposition's defence. Hopefully someone young too, the lack of pace yesterday by some players was dreadful and Lampard had an awful game.

And the amount of times Cole cut back inside instead of running past a defender.. :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    rumors going round about kaka for 22m, personally i would have thought it was a good idea when he moved to madrid a few years ago but not now. he is 29 and would not be a good buy considering we need young players in. we don't need another potential torres

ReputationRep:
    One thing I've noticed is that, when Mata plays, there's barely anyone on the left-wing and our players have no-one to pass to over there. A. Cole looks confused about what to do when Mata shifts inwards. We need a left-winger, keep Mata in the centre and play Sturridge out right.

Good to hear that Malouda is upset about not playing enough. Hopefully he goes away. I'm sceptical about buying Krasic. If he isn't good enough for Juve, how could he be good enough for us? Buy Hazard/someone with a high profile + serious potential. Also a bit sceptical about Cahill. Worried that it'll hamper Luiz's development. He was impressive yesterday, and the three players at fault for Dempsey's goal were Cech, Terry and A. Cole. Can't understand why people think Luiz should've been ahead of Dempsey. Two players marking one guy?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah Luiz was solid yesterday.

I worry about Cech and Cole. They were once our most reliable and top performing players - now they are a shadow of themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn-er)
    One thing I've noticed is that, when Mata plays, there's barely anyone on the left-wing and our players have no-one to pass to over there. A. Cole looks confused about what to do when Mata shifts inwards. We need a left-winger, keep Mata in the centre and play Sturridge out right.

Good to hear that Malouda is upset about not playing enough. Hopefully he goes away. I'm sceptical about buying Krasic. If he isn't good enough for Juve, how could he be good enough for us? Buy Hazard/someone with a high profile + serious potential. Also a bit sceptical about Cahill. Worried that it'll hamper Luiz's development. He was impressive yesterday, and the three players at fault for Dempsey's goal were Cech, Terry and A. Cole. Can't understand why people think Luiz should've been ahead of Dempsey. Two players marking one guy?
    (Original post by Hemzo)
    We could do with a playmaker aswell, we lack someone who can open up the opposition's defence. Hopefully someone young too, the lack of pace yesterday by some players was dreadful and Lampard had an awful game.

And the amount of times Cole cut back inside instead of running past a defender.. :facepalm2:
    Luiz was fantastic, it's all good having Mata being our creative outlet but he's upfront, where as we still need a Modric who needs to control and help penetrate defences from the middle of the park that way we can break defenses down and can we please pass the ball quicker, we're so painfully slow :sigh:
    Maybe as Iso said Hoilett? He would stick around on the wings?

ReputationRep:
    Ok we lost to barcelona by an away goal, nothing else was in it in the game, you can at least say by that that we matched them, compare that to the 2-0 and 3-1 spankings united got in rome and wembley. Would you say barca are better than chelsea for drawing with us twice?

But, in stamford bridge for CL, we won 2-0, 5-0 and 3-0. You can't tell me that isn't good home form? I assure you, if we win by a margin like that in our home leg, more times than not chelsea will go through to the next round.

City in the PL have the best form in all the major leagues. Better than barcelona's and munichs, do you expect munich to have a start like city's in the PL? Chelsea beat a team that was unbeaten and had only drawn twice at the time.

Also, chelsea's away form in the Cl, 1-1, 1-1, 2-1 loss. It's not shocking away form, but it's not the best form obviously.
    Chelsea have got worse since 09, Barca have improved massively. It would be a complete mismatch now.

And it is good home form, but its not exactly against the highest calibre of opponent is it? Valencia didnt turn up, Leverkusen are a decent enough team (although one you should be beating anyway, and Genk = :facepalm2:).

League form counts for nothing in European football. For all of City's impressive league form, they got destroyed by Bayern and were lucky not to be beaten twice against Napoli. Villarreal's key injuries stopped them from being any sort of threat.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 15, 2012
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.