Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wazzup)
    drogba scored 3 goals (1 is a penalty) in the last 15 premier league appearances. says it all...
    Torres has scored 3 league goals for Chelsea since he signed.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really want to watch today's match.

But I will.

And I will be disappointed. Only person I like seeing on the pitch these days is Torres. Driven. When he hit the crossbar on saturday........ :coma:

ReputationRep:
    So Wolves tonight? What to expect? Think Torres will start, Drogba played 90 mins against Villa, so I expect Torres to get this game and I have a feeling one of Kalou or Malouda will start tonight on the wings. I keep watching Match of the Day and seeing Torres hit the bar and a couple of the turns he had, he still has it in him, he just needs a goal and I really hope for his sake he get's it tonight against Wolves. I bet Fletcher will give JT and Luiz a tough time, oh and I just realised, Jarvis vs Bosingwa, that'll be fun.

Edit:

(Original post by Yawn-er)
    And I will be disappointed. Only person I like seeing on the pitch these days is Torres. Driven. When he hit the crossbar on saturday........ :coma:
    So you and me both then, on Torres. He's the only reason I want to watch us play right now, it's as if everyone but him, Ramires and Mata has given up. Even David Luiz disappoints me now

ReputationRep:

But I will.

I agree.. It seemed that Torres is the only player with enthusiasm to get the ball and play. I would have taken off Drogba instead of Sturridge.

Lots of critics have talked about the pace at which Chelsea break down teams and the absence of the midfielder who creates the pass that opens up the opposition's defence.. I was wondering that we could try and play McEachran instead of Meireles or Romeu? I know Meireles had tried to make passes to open up Villa's defence, but only 1 or 2 were effective. If we're not going to play McEachran, atleast loan him out and give the lad some football.

ReputationRep:

But I will.

There is little difference between hitting the crossbar and another shot we had in that game which ended up in the top tiers. If you dont score, its a wasted opportunity regardless of how good the shot was. I've given up on torres, he should leave now taking AVB with him - he is not suited to our style of play, and its deff not right to force players who have been in the club for so long to adapt because of a new signing who isnt performing. I think all this transition was a mistake. The problem wasnt that our tactics were bad, but that the team was ageing. What do you do to solve that problem? Buy new players in the SAME positions to replace old ones. You dont buy new players and them play them in different positions to what they want, whilst changing tactics and messing up the old players positions as well resulting in the mess we are now. You DONT go around making 3 subs per game.

I dont think ancelloti ever wanted torres, he was the result of abramovichs megalomania; why buy a world class striker when you already have a world class striker in the same position? And why buy a world class striker who only performs the way he does because his whole team is centered around him if you are not prepared to give him that service??

Sacking carlo was a mistake. Whats done is done, let roman pay off the arrogant AVB to leave and bring in mr hiddink

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hemzo)
    I agree.. It seemed that Torres is the only player with enthusiasm to get the ball and play. I would have taken off Drogba instead of Sturridge.

Lots of critics have talked about the pace at which Chelsea break down teams and the absence of the midfielder who creates the pass that opens up the opposition's defence.. I was wondering that we could try and play McEachran instead of Meireles or Romeu? I know Meireles had tried to make passes to open up Villa's defence, but only 1 or 2 were effective. If we're not going to play McEachran, atleast loan him out and give the lad some football.
    I've been thinking that for some time tbh. Play McEachran as our Modric. Obviously he won't be as good, but his slide-rule passes are amazing. Torres/any other striker would feast on them. I remember in preseason where he did that loads. I hope we do let him out on loan. He'd be amazing, especially if he keeps those levels of performances up.

(Original post by iRush)
    So you and me both then, on Torres. He's the only reason I want to watch us play right now, it's as if everyone but him, Ramires and Mata has given up. Even David Luiz disappoints me now
    I think Luiz is being given a hard time, and it's getting to him. He's obviously been told to curb his attacking runs. Only does it when we're in trouble and losing. He just needs confidence, and to keep on playing. He needs to keep that level of enthusiasm. I think that helped us a great deal last season. It's not our defenders fault that we keep on losing, it's the fact that we can't actually score more than 1 goal in a match, and Cech is so volatile these days that he's more than likely to let a goal in. 1-0 is always a dodgy scoreline.

ReputationRep:
    I've been thinking that for some time tbh. Play McEachran as our Modric. Obviously he won't be as good, but his slide-rule passes are amazing. Torres/any other striker would feast on them. I remember in preseason where he did that loads. I hope we do let him out on loan. He'd be amazing, especially if he keeps those levels of performances up.

I think Luiz is being given a hard time, and it's getting to him. He's obviously been told to curb his attacking runs. Only does it when we're in trouble and losing. He just needs confidence, and to keep on playing. He needs to keep that level of enthusiasm. I think that helped us a great deal last season. It's not our defenders fault that we keep on losing, it's the fact that we can't actually score more than 1 goal in a match, and Cech is so volatile these days that he's more than likely to let a goal in. 1-0 is always a dodgy scoreline.
    You'd think David Luiz wouldn't be affected by the media but he is. Yeah I'm more worried Cech the minute we score rather than us being at 0-0. Come on David you and your hair can get back in to form! I think if he were to score a goal, he'd bring back the confidence in everyone else. You know what, let's get him to bless Torres and every other player on our team, maybe we'll do well! He wants to send McEachran on loan but we might as well play him cause he seems to trust Romeu and we're loosing or drawing every other game, the least he could do is get a few killer balls which Sturridge/Torres can try to latch on to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lubus)
    There is little difference between hitting the crossbar and another shot we had in that game which ended up in the top tiers. If you dont score, its a wasted opportunity regardless of how good the shot was. I've given up on torres, he should leave now taking AVB with him - he is not suited to our style of play, and its deff not right to force players who have been in the club for so long to adapt because of a new signing who isnt performing. I think all this transition was a mistake. The problem wasnt that our tactics were bad, but that the team was ageing. What do you do to solve that problem? Buy new players in the SAME positions to replace old ones. You dont buy new players and them play them in different positions to what they want, whilst changing tactics and messing up the old players positions as well resulting in the mess we are now. You DONT go around making 3 subs per game.

I dont think ancelloti ever wanted torres, he was the result of abramovichs megalomania; why buy a world class striker when you already have a world class striker in the same position? And why buy a world class striker who only performs the way he does because his whole team is centered around him if you are not prepared to give him that service??

Sacking carlo was a mistake. Whats done is done, let roman pay off the arrogant AVB to leave and bring in mr hiddink
    Agree with your first point. But I don't think Torres deserves to be given up on. Over the past few seasons, we have been fortunate to have a one-of-a-kind striker. Drogba could deal with **** crosses to him, or balls lumped up to him and throw players aside. I honestly think that there is no other striker in the world who could do it as effectively as he could. The rest of the team became far too used to that, but it is completely natural and expected that he'd get old, lose his pace/determination/whatever, and we'd need to bring in someone else to help the team out.

With our current team, and our old tactics, very, very few strikers would succeed at Chelsea. It was sheer bad luck for Torres that he came for such a big price tag, which put more pressure on him, and he was already out of form. We tried to play him in like we would Drogba. That didn't work. Our players/wingers were incapable of providing good passes for the striker in behind defenders, and Malouda/Kalou were more interested in coming inside and scoring than drifting out and creating space for the striker to move into.

Van Persie/Rooney/Villa/Ibrahimovic/Eto'o, whatever world-class striker have always had a ridiculous amount of shots a game, and would score. Because they had such good service and so many opportunities. Torres has one or two, and has to spend the rest of the match passing it to players because they give it to him when he's two yards away from him. I'm always under the impression that he does so to placate his team mates and get into their good books, so they can try and play him in.

Then we bought Mata, and with him, there's been a drastic change. He provides excellent, excellent balls. But obviously, he can't do it all himself. I was watching Gerrard come on on saturday, and the number of times he played Carroll in with absolutely sensational crosses was amazing. It's no coincidence that Torres scored so often over there. He got brilliant service.

Most importantly, our players are getting old. We cannot rely on the same style and tactics, because they simply cannot keep up. A. Cole will lose his pace, Terry may have already lost his, Lamps is, to be perfectly blunt, done. Drogba is 33. Anelka is old, and he's put in a transfer request. It's naive to think we can play the same way with all these players past their peak.

ReputationRep:
    Most importantly, our players are getting old. We cannot rely on the same style and tactics, because they simply cannot keep up. A. Cole will lose his pace, Terry may have already lost his, Lamps is, to be perfectly blunt, done. Drogba is 33. Anelka is old, and he's put in a transfer request. It's naive to think we can play the same way with all these players past their peak.
    I agree. We knew this 3 seasons ago. Why didnt we bring suitable replacements for those players, and train them to play in the same fashion ? This is basically the mold mourinho put in place all those years ago. It works, and even with an exhausted team we managed to win the league in 2010.

The problem is we currently have a mixture of new players who play a more dynamic game (mata, ramiers, luiz, stturidge) along with the older players (cole, lamps,terry,drogba), and they don't link up well at all. There is NO way players who have been playing the same formation and general tactics for 8 years will suddenly adopt a new strategy (for example, AVBs high defensive line); however we obviously cant just drop those older players.

This problem will eventually resolve itself, however i think we can forget any title ambitions (let alone cl) for at least 2 seasons.

When i said i've given up on torres, i didnt mean his ability, but his potential in this chelsea team.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iRush)
    ...So Wolves tonight?...
    Just to let you know its at 3 (if you actually meant tonight)
    Also I havent watched Torres play a lot for Liverpool but I dont think all he needs is a goal or two to start going, I think if he were put in the right team, playing to his strengths he might hit form. Whenever I see him for Chelsea I think he tries too hard (if that makes sense) feel sorry for the guy, maybe this year his luck will change. However if he doesnt come good who are your strikers, with Drogba ACON, Anelka going, Kalou (sorry but I think hes awful) you only have Sturridge, am I missing someone or are you lot going to dip in the transfer market for a striker? What about Hulk?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mdajoka)
    Just to let you know its at 3 (if you actually meant tonight)
    Also I havent watched Torres play a lot for Liverpool but I dont think all he needs is a goal or two to start going, I think if he were put in the right team, playing to his strengths he might hit form. Whenever I see him for Chelsea I think he tries too hard (if that makes sense) feel sorry for the guy, maybe this year his luck will change. However if he doesnt come good who are your strikers, with Drogba ACON, Anelka going, Kalou (sorry but I think hes awful) you only have Sturridge, am I missing someone or are you lot going to dip in the transfer market for a striker? What about Hulk?
    In general I meant today but thanks for the kick off time :P

Anelka is gone now lol. You missed Lukaku but that's about it yeah, Torres, Sturridge and Lukaku.

I'm predicting a front 3 of either Mata - Torres - Sturridge or Malouda - Sturridge - Mata during the Jan period.

EDIT: Team News.

Cech; Bosingwa, Luiz, Terry, Cole; Meireles, Romeu, Lampard; Ramires, Torres, Mata. Subs: Turnbull, Lukaku, Ferreira, McEachran, Hutchinson, Bertrand, Chalobah.

Ramires is playing at Right wing. Woohoo! We will actually see McEachran and Lukaku play tonight seeing as they're the only 2 attacking players we have besides the plethora of defenders on the bench lol. Kalou and Malouda didn't make the bench xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iRush)

Anelka is gone now lol. You missed Lukaku but that's about it yeah, Torres, Sturridge and Lukaku.

I'm predicting a front 3 of either Mata - Torres - Sturridge or Malouda - Sturridge - Mata during the Jan period.

Cech; Bosingwa, Luiz, Terry, Cole; Meireles, Romeu, Lampard; Ramires, Torres, Mata. Subs: Turnbull, Lukaku, Ferreira, McEachran, Hutchinson, Bertrand, Chalobah.

Ramires is playing at Right wing. Woohoo! We will actually see McEachran and Lukaku play tonight seeing as they're the only 2 attacking players we have besides the plethora of defenders on the bench lol. Kalou and Malouda didn't make the bench xD
    Probably my favourite bench ever.

Also, expect to see a lot of bad crosses from Ramires, haha. Love him though.

ReputationRep:
    Probably my favourite bench ever.

Also, expect to see a lot of bad crosses from Ramires, haha. Love him though.
    It has to be xD, Ahh gotta love this . Ramires, you know he might get us a penalty I reckon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iRush)

Ramires right wing?

I was quite happy before you told me Ramires was on the right wing.. Was hoping Mata was playing behind Torres, to send him on runs when the opposing defence was not organised, that's where he was most lethal at Liverpool. Not a lot of choice on the bench and there's reports of Chelsea players being unhappy with him, it's not a good time to be AVB or a Chelsea fan for that matter..

ReputationRep:
    Ramires right wing?! :awesome:

This'll be one for the ages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colonel.)
    Ramires right wing?! :awesome:

This'll be one for the ages.
    Benfica supporter-friend of mine says he played there for them. Mostly at right-midfield, so right-wing wont be much of a stretch.

Crosses will be sensational, I'm sure.

ReputationRep:
    http://kaban.tv/rossiya-2-online looks like a good game this

ReputationRep:
    someone is definitely going to be sent off today!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lubus)
    I agree. We knew this 3 seasons ago. Why didnt we bring suitable replacements for those players, and train them to play in the same fashion ? This is basically the mold mourinho put in place all those years ago. It works, and even with an exhausted team we managed to win the league in 2010.

The problem is we currently have a mixture of new players who play a more dynamic game (mata, ramiers, luiz, stturidge) along with the older players (cole, lamps,terry,drogba), and they don't link up well at all. There is NO way players who have been playing the same formation and general tactics for 8 years will suddenly adopt a new strategy (for example, AVBs high defensive line); however we obviously cant just drop those older players.

This problem will eventually resolve itself, however i think we can forget any title ambitions (let alone cl) for at least 2 seasons.

When i said i've given up on torres, i didnt mean his ability, but his potential in this chelsea team.
    Why we didn't sort it out, because we change a manager every season, then we changed it to ancelotti, he wasn't one to care about ages, he had a 17 year old pato as their striker and a 40 year old maldini and 32 year old nesta in defence that's got to say it all.

ReputationRep:
    I'm surprised AVB hasn't through about throwing Lukaku into the mix, 6,3 and pretty built so can handle that role and has plenty of starts for his age so has plenty of experience. Whats the worse that could happen, he doesn't score, just like Torres.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.