Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingMessi)
    Perhaps, but, as you say, we still need to finish off teams like Wigan, Fulham and even Tottenham when we were in the ascendancy. He's made some odd substitutions in those games - but hopefully with experience he shall take the club forward.
    Tbh, those games weren't won because of bad goalkeeping from crosses, ok we played poorly bar tottenham, but we could have still got the win which is what mattered at the end of the day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    It's simple, would you just have messi, with malouda and kalou providing for him?
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    Yes.
    Ok, I don't know what malouda and kalou you have been watching, but messi would do absolutely nothing with those players on the pitch providing, maybe one or two magic moments by himself though, but look at argentina, all the best strikers in the world, tevez, aguero, messi, milito and others with top quality wingers, a playmaker in pastore but can't work with messi because they all play with target men which messi isn't, di maria whips in high crosses to higuain/ronaldo, lavezzi plays with cavani, pastore I don't know about gameiro but messi can't do it on his own otherwise argentina would have battered germany.
    Do you think messi would actually receive the ball if malouda and kalou were playing alongside him? He's not a one man team, same with van persie.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I don't know what malouda and kalou you have been watching, but messi would do absolutely nothing with those players on the pitch providing, maybe one or two magic moments by himself though, but look at argentina, all the best strikers in the world, a playmaker in pastore but can't work with messi because they all play with target men which messi isn't, di maria whips in high crosses to higuain/ronaldo, lavezzi plays with cavani, pastore I don't know about gameiro but messi can't do it on his own otherwise argentina would have battered germany.
    Germany battered Argentina because Maradona decided to leave his best defensive minded players at home.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh, those games weren't won because of bad goalkeeping from crosses, ok we played poorly bar tottenham, but we could have still got the win which is what mattered at the end of the day.
    Hmm, perhaps, but I'd conversely argue that what matters is that we didn't get the win. Man United have put in some very average performances (as per usual) this season and still won games. We play average and succumb to draws or defeats.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    Germany battered Argentina because Maradona decided to leave his best defensive minded players at home.
    Did argentina score a goal? No, that's messi's job right, to score and provide goals. He didn't do that against germany and didn't score a single goal in the world cup, I can allow messi for the nigeria game because that was great goalkeeping, but he didn't score in the other games. Even against the other teams that argentina rolled over like mexico, messi didn't score.
    If his job wasn't to score goals, then I would say fine, but his job is to score and provide, he was only providing for argentina, hasn't won anything with argentina either. Not saying he has too, but that has to show that he works better with barca than argentina.

ReputationRep:
    Did argentina score a goal? No, that's messi's job right, to score and provide goals. He didn't do that against germany and didn't score a single goal in the world cup, I can allow messi for the nigeria game because that was great goalkeeping, but he didn't score in the other games. Even against the other teams that argentina rolled over like mexico, messi didn't score.
    If his job wasn't to score goals, then I would say fine, but his job is to score and provide, he was only providing for argentina, hasn't won anything with argentina either. Not saying he has too, but that has to show that he works better with barca than argentina.
    Messi's job for Argentina isn't to score. Since there is a lack of creative midfielders Messi has to constantly drop back and try to set up the forwards, which he is quite decent at. He's still Argentina's best player.

Hate how everyone thinks Messi is **** for Argentina because he doesn't score a lot, but when Rooney does the same for Man United and drops back... scoring not as much as usual he still gets praised?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, perhaps, but I'd conversely argue that what matters is that we didn't get the win. Man United have put in some very average performances (as per usual) this season and still won games. We play average and succumb to draws or defeats.
    That's what i'm saying though, we need a winning mentality, we need to play fantastic in a few games and use that momentum to carry us when we're playing crap. We haven't played a fantastic game of football in the PL since against everton and bolton, city we played well but not like how we used to play against west brom and wigan where a player usually gets a hat trick, we didn't play fantastic against city like how they did against united or how united did against arsenal, we just played well, but we need to play more than well in a few games to get momentum going.

ReputationRep:
    He plays on the wing/in a playmaking role for Argentina? So his job isn't necessarily to score goals?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jordan_1)
    Messi's job for Argentina isn't to score. Since there is a lack of creative midfielders Messi has to constantly drop back and try to set up the forwards, which he is quite decent at. He's still Argentina's best player.

Hate how everyone thinks Messi is **** for Argentina because he doesn't score a lot, but when Rooney does the same for Man United and drops back... scoring not as much as usual he still gets praised?
    Oh wait, so when torres drops back and works hard for the team, he's not **** because he didn't score? People get unfair criticism but I think i'm being fair about messi. Never said messi is **** for argentina, just that his game thrives more under barca than it does for argentina, better goal ratio and probably a better assist ratio for barca too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    He plays on the wing/in a playmaking role for Argentina? So his job isn't necessarily to score goals?
    Oh wait, so when he was playing on the wing for barca, he wasn't scoring loads of goals? Messi isn't an out and out striker too, his job is a playmaker/shadow striker for barcelona as well but he scores goals while he's doing that too.

ReputationRep:
    That's what i'm saying though, we need a winning mentality, we need to play fantastic in a few games and use that momentum to carry us when we're playing crap. We haven't played a fantastic game of football in the PL since against everton and bolton, city we played well but not like how we used to play against west brom and wigan where a player usually gets a hat trick, we didn't play fantastic against city like how they did against united or how united did against arsenal, we just played well, but we need to play more than well in a few games to get momentum going.
    Or, rather, seeing as we haven't played well for a substantial amount of time, we need to build on results like today's to restore belief and try and find a formula that works. We need to decide on our defensive line, starting line-up and stick with it. Once we can keep a winning side for a period of consecutive games, we may well have a chance of progression. For example, Ivanovic has to be favoured to Bosingwa; Romeu to Mikel; Torres to Drogba.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps, but, as you say, we still need to finish off teams like Wigan, Fulham and even Tottenham when we were in the ascendancy. He's made some odd substitutions in those games - but hopefully with experience he shall take the club forward.
    Sunderland, norwich and swansea Next. O'neill has done a great job with sunderland, would want a win though, seeing as we're playing at home would expect a win although it could be tight. Norwich and swansea should be 6 easy points, we can't possibly lose to them. Swansea are a surprise package and are overachieving but I think it's only a matter of time with them but they can be a threat going forward especially with our defence as it is. Norwich however we can beat and I expect a win.

And yes, we need to find a winning formula, I think he's found it already and we all know the team that's needed if they all step up. I was pretty critical of meireles last week but he did much better today but because of what lampard always does time and time again i'll put him on the team sheet. We know the rest of the players we're putting in though, only question is where essien will fit in the team as romeu has done superbly. Maybe bench essien for a couple of weeks until he gets his fitness back and rotate the midfield probably?

ReputationRep:
    I'm afraid it looks like Didier has played his last game at the Bridge - hence the celebration after the 150th goal last weekend.

He's been a fantastic player, and one of our all time greats. Two seasons that stand out in particular for me were the 2006/7 season (Mourinho's last) when he scored over 33 goals and won us the FA Cup in added time against United. Also the 2009/2010 when he again scored over 30 goals to help us win the double (plenty of assists as well). He's scored long rangers, free kicks, headers, solo goals, penalties, volleys, you name it. He's bullied the best defenders in the world, and scored when it mattered most. A true talisman.

To be honest though it's probably about time the club moved on. Hopefully Torres will step up and fill his boots.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Banishingboredom)
    I'm afraid it looks like Didier has played his last game at the Bridge - hence the celebration after the 150th goal last weekend.

He's been a fantastic player, and one of our all time greats. Two seasons that stand out in particular for me were the 2006/7 season (Mourinho's last) when he scored over 33 goals and won us the FA Cup in added time against United. Also the 2009/2010 when he again scored over 30 goals to help us win the double (plenty of assists as well). He's scored long rangers, free kicks, headers, solo goals, penalties, volleys, you name it. He's bullied the best defenders in the world, and scored when it mattered most. A true talisman.

To be honest though it's probably about time the club moved on. Hopefully Torres will step up and fill his boots.
    Statue of honour for didier? I see one for either lampard, drogba or terry. They've been our mainstays in this era. Plus I don't wanna see his career fade out at chelsea, would rather just have his best years here and have him fade out at an arabian club. Seeing as he hasn't signed the deal yet and he can get a pre contract tomorrow. It looks like it's bye to drogba.
    Mourinho probably needs a statue of honour too, turned our team to title beaters and strong in CL. Ranieri did a very good job too with the funds he had, got us 4th place in 03 when we were gonna go bust and hadn't been in CL for some time, but mourinho stepped up.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...k-Lampard.html

Hmm. What do you think of this development? I know its the sun, but it sounds pretty believable. Tbh, people may say frank has average performances but hes the second best scorer, that should speak for itself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lubus)
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...k-Lampard.html

Hmm. What do you think of this development? I know its the sun, but it sounds pretty believable. Tbh, people may say frank has average performances but hes the second best scorer, that should speak for itself.
    Not particularly bothered, sorry. Firstly, the Sun isn't a particularly reputable newspaper, and the media are renowned for trying to sensationalise. At the end of the day both Villas-Boas and Lampard are professionals, and both have more on their minds than immature fall-outs. So long as we return to winning ways and Lampard provides goals and good performances I couldn't care less.

ReputationRep:
    Cech now wants to sign a new contract. I suppose we'll need him for another season or two, but I do have high hopes for Courtois and perhaps Delac...

ReputationRep:
    If anyone's going to get a statue it's gotta be Terry, he defines Chelsea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cannotbelieveit)
    If anyone's going to get a statue it's gotta be Terry, he defines Chelsea.
    Not sure if Terry would appreciate a dark-coloured statue of him :awesome:

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 15, 2012
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.