Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maccy7)
    We should be able to easily secure 4th, we have more depth than Tottenham and our squad is equal to that of Manchester United's, IMO anyway. Realistically we should be challenging for 2nd, and that's still a possibility.

AVB has hinted at a signing, I think he'll get one or two, especially if we let a few leave. I don't think we need marquee signings tbh, players don't have to cost the world to make a difference. I think Cahill will be a good addition, he wouldn't be my first choice but at this point in time, for the price, it's a good signing.

Yes it was, but don't let it detract from the performance, going to the San Siro and winning 3-0, under any circumstance, is a great result. All I'm saying is that Napoli shouldn't be underrated. Lavezzi and Cavani would cause problems for anyway defence in world football, let alone our shaky excuse for a defence.

EDIT: Lot of talk around in France that we've bid £25-30m for Hazard, but it's been rejected. Would be a great signing from the little I've seen of him, but I don't want us to pay over the odds.
    Yeah, you're right, I think we have to step up by the time we face napoli otherwise we're in for a defeat, the portsmouth win was lucky, they rolled over once it was 2-0 and we didn't play that much better than them for most of the game.

I don't see united dropping loads of points, scholes will give them a massive boost in midfield and so will cleverley and anderson's return. I don't see city doing what arsenal did last march, although since city have been knocked out of the champions league they have been worse in the premier league. 2nd is a possibility, but I don't see every other team messing up like last season. Liverpool were 3 points above relegation at this point last season, only team doing realistically worse than last season is arsenal while tottenham have had their best ever start for 40 years. We'll get 3rd probably but you never know.

I think terry has been doing much better recently though, the thing is we would be 5 points off the top spot if it wasn't for cech's howlers when dealing with crosses the past month. We don't even have too many injuries, just not enough defenders tbh. This is incredibly easy to say, but we aren't scoring enough, and we're conceding too much.

I would only say that our full squad is better than tottenham's, injuries to bale and modric would put them 5th again. their first team does just about match ours though now.

ReputationRep:
    Wow Jam277 can you be anymore pessimistic?

ReputationRep:
    Scholes is a sign of desperation, it's papering over the cracks, he's was miles off the pace against City, admittedly it was his first game back, but it says a lot that he was even on the pitch in such a big game.

Tottenham's midfield is better than ours, other than that, I would take our GK, defence and forwards over their's without a second thought. I'd also rather our GK, defence and midfield than that of United's. Rooney, Nani, Valencia, Hernandez and Young blow us out of the water though in terms of forwards.

ReputationRep:
    Tottenham's midfield is better than ours, other than that, I would take our GK, defence and forwards over their's without a second thought.
    Really? That's some talkSPORT level material right there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mike Phelan)
    Really? That's some talkSPORT level material right there!
    Friedel is 39 and Cech is a better keeper.

Ivanovic is twice the defender Walker is.
    Terry is still as solid as a rock, whereas King is as fragile as glass.
    Luiz, ok, he's mental, but he's proven that there is quality there. Dawson I rate, it's close between those two.
    Assou-Ekotto, this is the season he's proven to be Premier League material, give me Cole over him, all day long.

Drogba > Adebayor, who isn't even a Tottenham player.
    Sturridge, Torres, Lukaku > Defoe.

Simple really.

ReputationRep:
    Scholes is a sign of desperation, it's papering over the cracks, he's was miles off the pace against City, admittedly it was his first game back, but it says a lot that he was even on the pitch in such a big game.

Tottenham's midfield is better than ours, other than that, I would take our GK, defence and forwards over their's without a second thought. I'd also rather our GK, defence and midfield than that of United's. Rooney, Nani, Valencia, Hernandez and Young blow us out of the water though in terms of forwards.
    I would have our midfield and goalie over uniteds. Defence(as in a full strength defence) I think we match united but we don't beat them tbh (vidic and ferdinand, plus jones and smalling) although we have better full backs. Tottenham's first team is good, just that they have no depth, no modric and bale for more than a month=no top 4.

Tottenham's defence isn't as poor as you think, they have a lot of injury problems, king is good enough, but he's always injured(although he's playing now) I still think we're better than tottenham, because of our squad depth, I said they just about match us, as in on a good day they match us.

With that, I still think our team is good enough to win the league. Just that it's very unlikely to happen this season due to our poor first half again, we'll come 3rd probably and try to win FA cup/champions league(most probably getting to the semis of both or if we're lucky we'll win one of them)since 2 out of the top 6 are already out before the 5th round we have a very good chance and two of europe's best teams went out in the group stages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JB20)
    Wow Jam277 can you be anymore pessimistic?
    Just being realistic, our team is good enough. Not saying we're bad, city's team is the best player wise(although last season it was us) Just that we've messed up, gonna be hard to close that gap, the only way we can honestly close the gap is beating all the big teams, with our record, we've lost to all but man city and tottenham, tottenham nearly beat us but was even and was away, city, they took their foot off the gas and lost their discipline, although we outplayed them after half time.

ReputationRep:
    Ferdinand is past it, he's been so two-paced this season. Once a world class defender, not anymore. Jones will be a world-beater but he's still very young and raw. Smalling is a good player as well. Stand by our defence being better, with the additions we'll no doubt make in this window.

ReputationRep:
    Friedel is 39 and Cech is a better keeper.

Ivanovic is twice the defender Walker is.
    Terry is still as solid as a rock, whereas King is as fragile as glass.
    Luiz, ok, he's mental, but he's proven that there is quality there. Dawson I rate, it's close between those two.
    Assou-Ekotto, this is the season he's proven to be Premier League material, give me Cole over him, all day long.

Drogba > Adebayor, who isn't even a Tottenham player.
    Sturridge, Torres, Lukaku > Defoe.

Simple really.
    This season, adebayor>drogba, although I would say drogba's better overall anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Ok fair enough with ferdinand. We will buy 2 players at most tbh since it will disrupt the team, I don't think AVB will buy an overpriced player. If we sell kalou and malouda, then we'll get some proper wingers in.

ReputationRep:
    Drogba has been immense this season, I highlighted why the other day. Adebayor has been wasteful. 8/9 goals. whatever it is, isn't that impressive playing with such a creative midfield, Drogba would have twice that. I'd love to see Adebayor's chance conversion, any idea where I can find it?

ReputationRep:
    Drogba has been immense this season, I highlighted why the other day. Adebayor has been wasteful. 8/9 goals. whatever it is, isn't that impressive playing with such a creative midfield, Drogba would have twice that. I'd love to see Adebayor's chance conversion, any idea where I can find it?
    Try EPLindex.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevmeister)
    Try EPLindex.
    Cheers! That's a good website I haven't come across.

Anyway, regarding Adebayor:

Adebayor is aided by the fact that he hits the target six out of ten times but will be disappointed with a chance conversion rate of 16%.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R-KAM)
    Di Maria would spend more time on the floor than anything in the PL tbh :holmes:
    I'd love Di Maria and Suarez on the same team. It would look like synchronised swimming.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colonel.)
    I'd love Di Maria and Suarez on the same team. It would look like synchronised swimming.
    They'd need Busquets and Pedro as well to be fair. :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingMessi)
    They'd need Busquets and Pedro as well to be fair. :holmes:
    Klinnsmann as manager.

ReputationRep:
    Drogba has been immense this season

Apart from the Valenica game, he's been abysmal.

ReputationRep:
    Klinnsmann as manager.
    Epic team.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cannotbelieveit)

Apart from the Valenica game, he's been abysmal.
    Abysmal?

Let me start off by saying, Drogba wasn't a fixture in the side until around Novemmber, his season started then, really.

He's put in some massive performances since, Valencia, Man City, Tottenham, Newcastle, to name a few.

I've not seen Kompany look as shaky as he did against City, he led the line superbly, giving us a platform from which to play, around the City box. Against Newcastle, he did the same. Played brilliantly against Tottenham as well IMO, very unlucky with that volley that hit the post as well.

Football isn't all about goals, whilst a return of 6 goals might look poor on the face of it, his performances have brought a lot to the team performances.

I hate this common view that if a striker isn't scoring, then he must be playing 'abysmally.' Look a little more in depth at the game ffs. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Oh gosh, forget michael phelps and tom daley, these guys don't even need water.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 15, 2012
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.