Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mistersjmcg)
    awww look at you pathetic people being blind folded by torres...

"Unlucky... he's unlucky, owww almost toress, unlucky..."

Yes sometimes a footballer can lack the luck an athlete shouldn't' depend on, nevertheless Torres goal return ratio is 7.5% .. thats means if you were a gambling man this would mean that every time torres steps on the pitch the bookies should provide you with 13/1 on TORRES to SCORE that is shocking!!!! for your main striker at a top 4 club!

... Could you imagine if aguero, van persie or rooney had 13/1 odds to score in any league game? "I'll put a tenner on van persie to score & I should get a return of 130 pounds"
    there's luck & there's just lack of concentration.
    No disrespect to Chelsea but in all honesty I wouldn't put down a tenner on Torres to score - maybe a fiver tho..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    What about ramires and sturridge, plus torres is getting into form so we can't put sturridge in as the striker.
    I also think mata might need to be subbed as well, he hasn't been that great recently, although we really don't have anyone good enough to replace him in that role.
    Yea no one can replace Mata as of now until we get another creative midfielder.
    Ramires over lampard because of his energy, sturridge on the right wing. Though ramires did play well in that position today

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zayne101)
    No disrespect to Chelsea but in all honesty I wouldn't put down a tenner on Torres to score - maybe a fiver tho..
    Ok then...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mistersjmcg)
    awww look at you pathetic people being blind folded by torres...

"Unlucky... he's unlucky, owww almost toress, unlucky..."

Yes sometimes a footballer can lack the luck an athlete shouldn't' depend on, nevertheless Torres goal return ratio is 7.5% .. thats means if you were a gambling man this would mean that every time torres steps on the pitch the bookies should provide you with 13/1 on TORRES to SCORE that is shocking!!!! for your main striker at a top 4 club!

... Could you imagine if aguero, van persie or rooney had 13/1 odds to score in any league game? "I'll put a tenner on van persie to score & I should get a return of 130 pounds"
    there's luck & there's just lack of concentration.
    It's the people that have watched him game in and game out who are arguing that he's been afflicted by both bad luck and crap service. Google his shots per game ratio, and that should tell a story all by itself.

I've argued this a hundred times. Other top class strikers get a ****load of chances in a match, and often end the match with the one goal. Van Persie and Rooney are prime examples.

Torres had 3 shots today. One saved from a tight angle, one crashed into the crossbar, and he took another shot that just went by the post. 3 shots in 90 minutes. One save, one crossbar and one miss. This was probably a game where he had better service than normal... although the number of times our passes to him were overhit was ridiculous.

But then again, presenting a rational argument to someone with a dislike for the club/player is pretty pointless.

----

Anyone else think that Mata looked out of form today? Looked to be more interested in scoring than being nice and creative.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scoutzawwar)
    Yea no one can replace Mata as of now until we get another creative midfielder.
    Ramires over lampard because of his energy, sturridge on the right wing. Though ramires did play well in that position today
    I would put, romeu, ramires and lampard. Essien offers the same thing that ramires offers so should be like for like, only that essien is stronger, more of a yaya toure while ramires is a park ji sung who can dribble and is fast. Think we should use those two for a game where there's a lot of end to end stuff where you need people who can drive forward and also run back to defend, like in a stoke type game or a game where they straight up park the bus. Can't put ramires and essien together, essien isn't the best in the DM role either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn-er)
    It's the people that have watched him game in and game out who are arguing that he's been afflicted by both bad luck and crap service. Google his shots per game ratio, and that should tell a story all by itself.

I've argued this a hundred times. Other top class strikers get a ****load of chances in a match, and often end the match with the one goal. Van Persie and Rooney are prime examples.

Torres had 3 shots today. One saved from a tight angle, one crashed into the crossbar, and he took another shot that just went by the post. 3 shots in 90 minutes. One save, one crossbar and one miss. This was probably a game where he had better service than normal... although the number of times our passes to him were overhit was ridiculous.

But then again, presenting a rational argument to someone with a dislike for the club/player is pretty pointless.

----

Anyone else think that Mata looked out of form today? Looked to be more interested in scoring than being nice and creative.
    I said that about mata, we should think of subbing him, we need another playmaker, malouda did alright in his cameo today though, he got past a player.

I'll leave these torres/chelsea haters, at least our club is in the champions league. Says it all.

Also, what about dzeko? 27 million, had a good start to the season, then has just faded. He scored one goal for them last season in the league just like torres. He doesn't even watch us play tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn-er)

----

He also had a header which a defender cleared, his movement was lightening in that move.

Noticed Mata being a tad selfish at times but what I did notice was that all the players were trying to pick torres out with a cross most of the time during the first 60 mins

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    I would put, romeu, ramires and lampard. Essien offers the same thing that ramires offers so should be like for like, only that essien is stronger, more of a yaya toure while ramires is a park ji sung who can dribble and is fast. Think we should use those two for a game where there's a lot of end to end stuff where you need people who can drive forward and also run back to defend, like in a stoke type game or a game where they straight up park the bus. Can't put ramires and essien together, essien isn't the best in the DM role either.
    I always fancied essien playing instead of romeo in the front of the back 4.
    Ramires is a must, he has been sparking for us this season, lampard can be replaced by meireles at times and romeu with essien.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scoutzawwar)
    I always fancied essien playing instead of romeo in the front of the back 4.
    Ramires is a must, he has been sparking for us this season, lampard can be replaced by meireles at times and romeu with essien.
    Fair enough with essien, should we offload mikel or make him our fringe player who plays in an injury crisis like we did with alex/ferreira?
    I think we'll have to rotate much more often now. We need a winger who can do what mata does desperately, I think he's getting tired from all the games he's playing. Also we need to get bertrand in.

ReputationRep:
    Well, we got a win, even if we had a small bit of luck. Torres was desperately unlucky...but I find it good that he had the confidence to attempt that. Luiz still looked shaky, I say put Cahill straight in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingMessi)
    Well, we got a win, even if we had a small bit of luck. Torres was desperately unlucky...but I find it good that he had the confidence to attempt that. Luiz still looked shaky, I say put Cahill straight in.
    RE: Torres, I agree with the BBC commentator (can't think who it was off the top of my head), it may say Lampard on the score sheet but that was a Torres goal. The strike was fantastic (even if it did crack the post).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wednesday Bass)
    RE: Torres, I agree with the BBC commentator (can't think who it was off the top of my head), it may say Lampard on the score sheet but that was a Torres goal. The strike was fantastic (even if it did crack the post).
    Yes, definitely. It is a great indicator of how things go when you're on a good/bad streak; Lampard, who's been scoring regularly, scores a goal he knows nothing about; Torres can't score with a fantastic effort. He's hit the bar in two consecutive league games now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JClive)
    The match is today.

I think 2-1 or a close win as we really need to start winning some games and we are confident after beating Wolves and Portsmouth.

"That's why apart from Cahill we don't expect anything else"

Quote from AVB, means we wont buy anyone else this month, meaning it wont be a great season as we can only do Top 4 now and CL is too hard.
    Ah yeah ofcourse, I've been flying for 12 hours so I lost track of my days

On the game: Fernando Torres has to be one of the unluckiest players right now, that would have been such a big confidence boost for him. Hopefully he continues and hope that one goes in for him soon! We play Swansea and Norwich next, so it's a chance for him to score. Show Drogba that he's the new top man!

ReputationRep:
    Lol Malouda's the next player who wants more time starting games.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11668/7435098/

Time to cash him in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isometrix)
    Lol Malouda's the next player who wants more time starting games.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11668/7435098/

Time to cash him in.
    Good riddance, 11 million would be enough for him, he does have 2 years left on his contract, I still think we should have kept zhirkov and after the swansea vs arsenal match, we should have kept sinclair, we would no longer need another winger that gets past players, plus he fits our new style of play after going to swansea. Although, now it looks like swansea and norwich are staying in the division, QPR will spend their way out of it too so there's no problem there either.

ReputationRep:
    Malouda doesn't start now because of Mata. I rather we keep him, I don't think anyone can fill in Mata's place except for the Frenchman.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keepa7)
    Liverpool?! :toofunny:
    i agree liverpool suck so hard bro. went to see them while i was at liverpool teaching economics and they are seriously bad. i cant understand how a team can be that bad while spending so much money bro. they are worse than teams at amateur level. ****** scousers

ReputationRep:
    Seems Torres is suffering from the same problem as Carroll.

Carroll has had 3 (At least that I can remember) excellent chances saved by wonder saves in the last minutes of games we've been drawing.

ReputationRep:
    Cahill is officially ours now and eligible for FA Cup and Champions League too!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16438701.stm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L18)
    Seems Torres is suffering from the same problem as Carroll.

Carroll has had 3 (At least that I can remember) excellent chances saved by wonder saves in the last minutes of games we've been drawing.
    The amount of times i've seen that in a game, downing crosses, carroll gets a chance that goes top corner, keeper makes a wonder save, QPR, man united and man city game just typified it lol, although that's a problem with your whole team(barring steven gerrard) not just one player. I've lost count of the times you have hit the woodwork.

Torres is an individual problem I think, it's not the team's fault anymore or our style of play, now torres is adapting to it and working hard for the team, now the chances are coming, he's not scared to take 2 players on in the box, he's not scared to do a bicycle kick. this happens. He has the confidence, something carroll still lacks. Still cheated us of 50 million, stupid release clause, you should have just accepted the 35 million. Fabregas was worth the same.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.