Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    If he's good enough, they will. We did that with sturridge.
    From the videos i've seen he clearly has bucket loads of potential!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbow_kisses)
    From the videos i've seen he clearly has bucket loads of potential!
    He will get into the first team, this guy is regarded as englands best young talents, theres no way we are going to mess him up, this isn't a scott sinclair situation where he's seen as good but not outstanding and even then he's now lived up to his potential and could play for england if he keeps it up.

This guy is seen as outstanding, he needs game time, and he'll do wonders at swansea, rodgers knows mceachran well I think. I think that in a few years time, we might have a young squad that's not dependant on signing 26 year players for huge fees, well I hope so.

Bertrand really needs game time, if we don't trust him until cole gets injured, why don't we loan him out and get ferreira to play there in an injury crisis? Bertrands 22 now, he hasn't even got a sniff of the first team. See what arsenal did with clichy, when we bought cole, they had clichy to cover, same with gibbs now, we need to do that with bertrand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isometrix)
    I don't get this Azpilicueta business. We'll have 3 right backs then? Logically Ivanovic would be sold?
    Rather have Bosingwa on his way out tbh. Not convinced albiet Ivanovic hasn't performed well at CB, he's still solid at RB and I feel safer about the team when he's there.

ReputationRep:
    I'm actually pleased that we havent bought Modric/Pastore. McEachran to take that role next season if he does well at Swansea. :coma: Passmaster.

ReputationRep:
    http://www1.skysports.com/football/n...alue-for-money
    His agent is on some strong stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn-er)
    I'm actually pleased that we havent bought Modric/Pastore. McEachran to take that role next season if he does well at Swansea. :coma: Passmaster.
    The next Xavi or Scholes? I hope so :coma: - I just hope he shows AVB his passing ability with Swansea and have that impact that Sturridge and Wilshire made at Bolton, then I think a midfield 3 of

McEachran - Ramires
    Essien/Romeu

Or would you play differently?

ReputationRep:
    http://www1.skysports.com/football/n...alue-for-money
    His agent is on some strong stuff.
    :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    http://www1.skysports.com/football/n...nt-over-Drogba
    Looks like we might lose drogba, although this gives lukaku a chance, unless kalou is favoured over him(which will probably happen)

ReputationRep:
    Now drogba's saying he doesn't want to leave. I think we've been pretty shrewd in the transfer market this year, we haven't made marquee signings, just smaller signings that help our play.
    Also, the pundits are reckoning that luiz will move into DM and terry and cahill will play together, I don't think this is happening tbh. Luiz isn't going to take out romeu, romeu has 90% passing. Luiz won't be as good as that.

ReputationRep:
    http://www1.skysports.com/football/n...nt-over-Drogba
    Looks like we might lose drogba, although this gives lukaku a chance, unless kalou is favoured over him(which will probably happen)
    I severely doubt Villas-Boas will favour Kalou over Lukaku in the centre-forward position.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iRush)
    The next Xavi or Scholes? I hope so :coma: - I just hope he shows AVB his passing ability with Swansea and have that impact that Sturridge and Wilshire made at Bolton, then I think a midfield 3 of

McEachran - Ramires
    Essien/Romeu

Or would you play differently?
    I'd change formation!

Torres
    Mata - McEachran - Sturridge
    Romeu - Ramires

Mwahahaha.

ReputationRep:
    His passing is sublime, but is that enough do you think? I think his size/strength could be a major problem (there's nothing to him) and he often goes missing for large periods in matches.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingMessi)
    I severely doubt Villas-Boas will favour Kalou over Lukaku in the centre-forward position.
    Though, the youngsters haven't really got a chance, although he's had a better chance than if he was under any of our other managers(bar ranieri)

I read villas boas talking about england having a B team system like they do in spain, I think it would be a great idea, he said that then he could use bertrand and mceachran much more, because they have competitive match experience, I think benitez said the same thing and alex ferguson also said that the reserve team system isn't competitive enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lamps08)
    His passing is sublime, but is that enough do you think? I think his size/strength could be a major problem (there's nothing to him) and he often goes missing for large periods in matches.
    He can bulk up in time, plus we can get him to dribble more, modric/xavi are small players, but they handle the CM/AM role well, I reckon mceachran will do just fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lamps08)
    Plenty of very small players in the league doing well. Mata/Silva for example. I'm paranoid that making him bulk up will change him/his game. He knows that he wont win a physical contest atm, so he does the smarter thing of looking for the pass.

And him going missing for large parts of a match isnt a big deal. He's always capable of providing one or two killer passes that would put the likes of Torres in behind the defense, something we havent been able to do for the last two seasons. We've been stagnant in our build-up play because no-one - expect Mata- is technically gifted enough to make the pass.

Ramires tried to play Torres through a couple of times... He did this when he should have, so you've got to credit him for that, because it's more than the rest of the team have done... but he isn't a passer. Ramires is more suited to being on the end of those balls.

As long as McEachran is given a chance at Swansea, and he doesnt get injured, he'll do well. Just hope he doesnt suffer a Ramsey when facing stoke.

ReputationRep:
    Though, the youngsters haven't really got a chance, although he's had a better chance than if he was under any of our other managers(bar ranieri)

I read villas boas talking about england having a B team system like they do in spain, I think it would be a great idea, he said that then he could use bertrand and mceachran much more, because they have competitive match experience, I think benitez said the same thing and alex ferguson also said that the reserve team system isn't competitive enough.
    No, of course not. I totally agree with Villas-Boas; Barcelona's 'B' side play in Liga Adelante, which is the equivalent to our Championship. It would be so much better for our youth players to be playing against Championship sides like West Ham, Leicester, Southampton et al. than be playing against West Bromwich Albion Reserves (our last game). Ferguson and Benitez are right, but I don't see it happening in the foreseeable future.

ReputationRep:
    Plenty of very small players in the league doing well. Mata/Silva for example. I'm paranoid that making him bulk up will change him/his game. He knows that he wont win a physical contest atm, so he does the smarter thing of looking for the pass.

And him going missing for large parts of a match isnt a big deal. He's always capable of providing one or two killer passes that would put the likes of Torres in behind the defense, something we havent been able to do for the last two seasons. We've been stagnant in our build-up play because no-one - expect Mata- is technically gifted enough to make the pass.

Ramires tried to play Torres through a couple of times... He did this when he should have, so you've got to credit him for that, because it's more than the rest of the team have done... but he isn't a passer. Ramires is more suited to being on the end of those balls.

As long as McEachran is given a chance at Swansea, and he doesnt get injured, he'll do well. Just hope he doesnt suffer a Ramsey when facing stoke.
    Or get cattermoled or frimponged.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingMessi)
    No, of course not. I totally agree with Villas-Boas; Barcelona's 'B' side play in Liga Adelante, which is the equivalent to our Championship. It would be so much better for our youth players to be playing against Championship sides like West Ham, Leicester, Southampton et al. than be playing against West Bromwich Albion Reserves (our last game). Ferguson and Benitez are right, but I don't see it happening in the foreseeable future.
    Exactly, it makes sense, AVB knows what he's talking about, had we had done this ten years ago, the england team that's transitioning would be on spains level. Bertrand would be in the starting line up and wouldn't be playing for england U21's while he's in the reserve squad for chelsea.

We wouldn't be using league 1 players as U21's/U19's either e.g. chamberlain before he went to arsenal, if you look at spain, their youth squads exists entirely of B team players like barca B, castilla and even a couple of la liga first team players e.g. mata, javi martinez and muniain.

Now look at england's U21 squad, these players all have the potential, but how many have actually made the breakthrough to their clubs who played in the tournament last summer? What makes it worse, was that half of the managers took their best players out, but if it was to play for the full england team, they would have let them go. Why didn't barca/bilbao/valencia and others do that too?

1. Because most of them wouldn't even get into the proper spain team yet.
    2. Because they can afford to lose them to injury because they have so much talent.
    3. Because they respect the competition and treat their youth carefully.

ReputationRep:
    Team for today:

Cech, Bosingwa, Luiz, Terry, Cole, Ramires, Meireles, Lampard, Sturridge, Torres, Mata.

Subs:

Turnbull, Ivanovic, Bertrand, Romeu, Essien, Malouda, Lukaku.

Weird Cahill is not even in the squad. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    ...dear God :facepalm2:

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 15, 2012
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.