Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinda.college)
    Lol at the comment suggesting you guys can win the CL because of Barca's poor form recently.

You guys were all over the place in defence once Rooney blasted the first penalty into the back of the net, and in the end that is what resulted in you losing your 3-0 lead. They were clearly penalties by the way!! David Luiz and Ivanovic gave us the third goal, cheers lads.
    First one was the penalty, second one was pretty soft, but then again cahill should have got a red earlier so it makes up for it.

Also, the CL comment isn't deluded, if liverpool can do it at istanbul, why can't chelsea, who were pretty much the favourites when we got into the semis that year, but liverpool beat us and won it. Anyway, I said we can win the CL, same way arsenal can win it, same way leverkusen or napoli can win it, same way united can't. Simple. :cool:

Plus, chelsea always lose to one of the finalists in the champions league, so I doubt we're that bad with that record(even though it's a **** record to have).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wednesday Bass)
    It's rather disappointing seeing as we were up 3-0.

I'm starting to wonder whether we should just stick Torres out on the wing, with crosses like that. Seriously, Mata scored an absolute screamer - it was fantastic.

But really if we want Torres to score, we seriously need to get rid of the old and remodel the squad and most importantly start with Torres. What we had out today up front (excluding Malouda) is what I'd like to see next season as our starting line up. Could do with some better full backs, Ivanovic is decent but Bosingwa needs to go.
    I think torres has become a very good team player tbh, he does more than malouda going forward too, torres can get past players and has a good end product from what it seems now, it's his confidence that has gone downhill, it seems that he's looking to try and get a sitter so he runs past all the defence when that's not his job and his job is to receive the ball from the defenders in goalscoring positions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    See, I could say the exact same thing for liverpool, but they step up in big games.

Yes, I don't rate chelsea's chances, I'm saying, that if we faced them now, we would have the best chance of winning at the moment because of their injuries in this season, if we faced them in may when all their players come back, it will be near impossible or very difficult to beat them.
    I'm not being deluded, I'm just saying, even though our squad isn't as good as theirs, we are still a top team with some top class players that on their day can do a job against any team in the world, no one can argue against that. We're easily as good as united on paper which is why we were 3-0 up in 50 mins, we're just not performing to the best of our ability.

We'll have a good game offensively, but be poor in defence, or the other way round, there isn't enough consistency.

But I agree with you, if carvalho, pepe and ramos get turned by messi regularly, luiz and terry wouldn't stand a chance, maybe terry can, but not someone as undisciplined as luiz.
    Even as a Liverpool fan, we would get royally ****ed over by Barca tbh. They are much stronger than us in every position except GK, and I think the only players that would even be considered for their squad would be Lucas, Suarez, Reina and maybe (that's a big maybe) Enrique and Agger.

While it is true that any top team can beat any other, if Barca turn up (which they do 99% of the time v another good team) your chances of winning are virtually nil. Since Guardiola took over, the only team to knock them out of European competition was Inter, and even that had some controversy around it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    Even as a Liverpool fan, we would get royally ****ed over by Barca tbh. They are much stronger than us in every position except GK, and I think the only players that would even be considered for their squad would be Lucas, Suarez, Reina and maybe (that's a big maybe) Enrique and Agger.

While it is true that any top team can beat any other, if Barca turn up (which they do 99% of the time v another good team) your chances of winning are virtually nil. Since Guardiola took over, the only team to knock them out of European competition was Inter, and even that had some controversy around it.
    That's true, I can't argue, guardiola has done a very great job and has pretty much made a super team, if he can roll mourinho's side over multiple times especially.
    There's been quite a few controversial decisions vs barcelona, plus, despite arsenal getting dominated for 90 mins, they had a great chance of winning the match. I don't think barca are that invincible like everyone says.

All i'm saying is that with their injuries, they'll be easier to beat right now, like when yaya toure was in defence because of injury to pique, we nearly beat them. I'm not as deluded to say that we'll beat a full strength barca side, I reckon even without messi we'll still lose, sanchez can play in the messi role for example.

ReputationRep:
    That's true, I can't argue, guardiola has done a very great job and has pretty much made a super team, if he can roll mourinho's side over multiple times especially.
    There's been quite a few controversial decisions vs barcelona, plus, despite arsenal getting dominated for 90 mins, they had a great chance of winning the match. I don't think barca are that invincible like everyone says.

All i'm saying is that with their injuries, they'll be easier to beat right now, like when yaya toure was in defence because of injury to pique, we nearly beat them. I'm not as deluded to say that we'll beat a full strength barca side, I reckon even without messi we'll still lose, sanchez can play in the messi role for example.
    True, they aren't invincible, but they're damn near it at times. The main problem you face against them is you are only going to get 20-40% possession. Teams don't know how to deal with going from dominating the ball/fighting equally for it, to chasing after it all game.

I still don't think even with Barca's current injury list you'd beat them tbh. You'd need Pique, Xavi and Messi to be injured too to stand a chance tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    True, they aren't invincible, but they're damn near it at times. The main problem you face against them is you are only going to get 20-40% possession. Teams don't know how to deal with going from dominating the ball/fighting equally for it, to chasing after it all game.

I still don't think even with Barca's current injury list you'd beat them tbh. You'd need Pique, Xavi and Messi to be injured too to stand a chance tbh.
    I reckon that messi will get tired since he's played nearly every game this season and xavi has the achilles tendon problem, although messi doesn't seem to know what being injured is.

I wouldn't even know how to approach barcelona with our players, real madrid have loads of approaches, but they're very good attacking and when they attacked barcelona, they almost won the game. If we go defensive, we'll get picked apart, only player that could honestly handle them is terry, alves and sanchez will rape cole, fabregas and xavi will dominate the midfield, maybe ivanovic might be able to handle adriano/who they put at left wing.

If we go attacking, we would need drogba, torres' confidence is in tatters and him not getting a touch of the ball won't do any good while drogba would come back good from getting a couple of goals from the ACON. I think we'll need essien and ramires together to just break down their attack and drive forward with mata to link up with drogba and possibly lampard to nick a goal when we need it.

Anyway, i'll forget about barca now, we need to face napoli first.

ReputationRep:
    First one was the penalty, second one was pretty soft, but then again cahill should have got a red earlier so it makes up for it.

Also, the CL comment isn't deluded, if liverpool can do it at istanbul, why can't chelsea, who were pretty much the favourites when we got into the semis that year, but liverpool beat us and won it. Anyway, I said we can win the CL, same way arsenal can win it, same way leverkusen or napoli can win it, same way united can't. Simple. :cool:

Plus, chelsea always lose to one of the finalists in the champions league, so I doubt we're that bad with that record(even though it's a **** record to have).
    Took it a bit far with the United comment:eyeball:

Anyway, I'm sure Chelsea will give Napoli a very good game however, it's the games after that I believe you will struggle with.

What date is the first leg and is it away/home?

ReputationRep:
    Just read some comments.

I just want to say that Barcelona are still the best team in the world, even when they have first team players out (take out Messi and Xavi then we'll consider my statement).

ReputationRep:
    Took it a bit far with the United comment:eyeball:

Anyway, I'm sure Chelsea will give Napoli a very good game however, it's the games after that I believe you will struggle with.

What date is the first leg and is it away/home?
    I think next tuesday/wednesday, we play in naples first.

ReputationRep:
    Just read some comments.

I just want to say that Barcelona are still the best team in the world, even when they have first team players out (take out Messi and Xavi then we'll consider my statement).
    Like I said before, Messi plays almost every game every season for like 3 seasons, there will be a time when he tires out, xavi has that achilles tendon problem but forget the what ifs.

Anyway, I have not said that barca aren't the best team in the world, I would say madrid are, but they are constantly second best when they face barcelona although they can beat everyone else(even though we saw a new madrid at the nou camp but we have to see the next el classico to decide who's better)

I've also said, that even if messi wasn't there, we would still lose, because sanchez can play in messi's role and do the same thing.

ReputationRep:
    If we had the team of Jose (or thereabouts), and the rock solid defence, we could stick it to Barca.

Remember that tragic night? Should've been an all English final.

Nevertheless, from then Barca have improved a great deal, while in many respects Chelsea have declined and stagnated.

We could always nick a win against Barca, most tops teams can, but it is very difficult, and over two legs Barcelona are probably the strongest team in the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)

And the number of times barcelona has won controversially in the CL?
    Last season vs Real madrid and arsenal. 2 seasons back vs Chelsea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scoutzawwar)
    And the number of times barcelona has won controversially in the CL?
    Last season vs Real madrid and arsenal. 2 seasons back vs Chelsea.
    Last season v Madrid? You mean when Madrid should have had about 3 men sent off? And they kicked lumps out of Barca trying to stop them playing?

Van Persie's wasn't a red card, but Arsenal weren't going to win that anyway, and anyone that thinks they were is deluded. 0 shots throughout the whole match says it all.

And Ovrebo was just incompetent all round (the Pique and Eto'o handballs and Abidal red card).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    Last season v Madrid? You mean when Madrid should have had about 3 men sent off? And they kicked lumps out of Barca trying to stop them playing?

Van Persie's wasn't a red card, but Arsenal weren't going to win that anyway, and anyone that thinks they were is deluded. 0 shots throughout the whole match says it all.

And Ovrebo was just incompetent all round (the Pique and Eto'o handballs and Abidal red card).
    I like how a liverpool fan talks of others being deluded. Anything could have happened if Van Persie had stayed on the field with what, 35mins to go? Arsenal were playing well enough to hold on to what they had which was a lead in the tie. In Istanbul Liverpool should have never have comeback the way they did but it happened even when it looked like there was no chance and that was far less likely to happen than Arsenal getting a result in the Nou Camp.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hatchet)
    I like how a liverpool fan talks of others being deluded. Anything could have happened if Van Persie had stayed on the field with what, 35mins to go? Arsenal were playing well enough to hold on to what they had which was a lead in the tie. In Istanbul Liverpool should have never have comeback the way they did but it happened even when it looked like there was no chance and that was far less likely to happen than Arsenal getting a result in the Nou Camp.
    Thank you, plus united shouldn't have made the comeback they did against us either, these things happen. When liverpool faced chelsea in the CL it looked like we had the champions league that year, we were easily the better team by far, yet you guys beat us.

ReputationRep:
    So reading up on the news today and seems like more Hazard related news has come out and we're once again leading the race to sign him in the summer. Along with Willian and Falcao, I can believe the first 2 but not Falcao tbh. Arsenal want Sturridge because he's unhappy with his role in the team apparently lol..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iRush)
    So reading up on the news today and seems like more Hazard related news has come out and we're once again leading the race to sign him in the summer. Along with Willian and Falcao, I can believe the first 2 but not Falcao tbh. Arsenal want Sturridge because he's unhappy with his role in the team apparently lol..
    Yeah, because sturridge will go on the arsenal bench unless he want's to replace walcott, that's the biggest pile of balony i've seen, plus do you think arsenal will fork out 20million for sturridge lol.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, because sturridge will go on the arsenal bench unless he want's to replace walcott, that's the biggest pile of balony i've seen, plus do you think arsenal will fork out 20million for sturridge lol.
    Hey, im just reporting the news No way will Wenger give out 20 million for Danny.

Also, there's an interview with David Luiz on the Chelsea website where it said that he is touted to be a deep lying midfielder, pretty interesting imo, would not mind if he became one but I also know that it's a disciplined position. Maybe if we did a Spain/Real Madrid and play almost 2 DM's but one of them being David Luiz who is allowed to move forward and do as he would but also defend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iRush)
    Hey, im just reporting the news No way will Wenger give out 20 million for Danny.

Also, there's an interview with David Luiz on the Chelsea website where it said that he is touted to be a deep lying midfielder, pretty interesting imo, would not mind if he became one but I also know that it's a disciplined position. Maybe if we did a Spain/Real Madrid and play almost 2 DM's but one of them being David Luiz who is allowed to move forward and do as he would but also defend.
    Yeah, so we basically have an alex song type player, Luiz is great going forward, I don't know any central defender in the world who's better going forward than him besides pique.
    Weird how everyone said that pique was terrible at united, yet now he has this role at barcelona, he's one of the best in the world with ease.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...boas-ancelotti

Chelsea accounts reflect £28m cost of Villas-Boas replacing Ancelotti

Chelsea spent £64m in four years on changing managers
    Not bothered since RA is bankrolling the team or big issue due to FFP and/or couldve been invested into the team? (although it's not held him back from splashing the cash)

Could've bought yourself another Torres with that kind of money :awesome:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.