Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wednesday Bass)
    I really hope that AVB doesn't get sacked at the end of the season, that really is the last thing we need. Yes, it's been a disappointing season but he is trying to rebuild the squad, and it's nigh on impossible to do that in one season. We need to get rid of some of the older players, get a better defense line and actually start with Torres, give him the opportunities to actually score rather than benching him when he makes a little mistake.
    He's started for the past 2 months, besides a bicycle kick which was very unlucky not to go in, he hasn't scored and has still lost his confidence, his talent is still there, he still has his touch, but he just lacks the finish, his decision making has been poor, so has his positioning at times. I say this and he scores a hat trick next week to prove me wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    He's not going to last until the end of the month, never mind the end of the season. The Birmingham game is pretty much irrelevant, but lose to either Napoli or Bolton and it's goodnight Vienna.
    Not really, we can still make top 4, maybe the napoli game, anyway he needs to sort this out. We need to watch the champions league next season.

ReputationRep:
    We can just hope Torres does get lucky here and there which will increase his confidence. You know what they say, form is temporary, class is permanent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EhsanA)
    We can just hope Torres does get lucky here and there which will increase his confidence. You know what they say, form is temporary, class is permanent.
    Tbh, I don't care whether torres scores or not anymore, it's the same story again, we need to sort out the CF position, because none of them are scoring, out of the 3 centre forwards, torres has played the best there this season, sturridge did **** all for the blackburn game that he played there too, yet he was scoring for fun at right wing, it's the position, we can't get the CF to a good position, we can't break down the defence, so we have to rely on a bit of magic from our wingers or luck from a set piece/an absolute sitter that I can score to win the game.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Hell no, our goal was to win the league, how do we go from league winners to top 4 contenders in 2 years?
    This has been our worst season since abramovich came, in fact, ranieri did better the year before abramovich gave us any money than this season, that's saying something, we're doing crap, and we'll be lucky to even get 65 points.

WE ARE NOT ARSENAL!!!!

We might as well get another winger/midfielder, since they're the only people doing something while the rest are doing **** all. We are a ****ing shambles without terry in defence, I never ever want to see bosingwa and ivanovic play right next to each other with Bos as RB and ivanovic as CB, it's basically giving the other team 3 points. If bosingwa is playing, we need someone solid as a CB playing next to him, terry or cahill, we don't want luiz right next to bosingwa, because he'll be playing left wing while bosingwa's probably at the corner flag when they're counter attacking us. Luiz is a good defender though, I guess that's why we play him next to cole.

I had this problem in football manager, I resolved it by playing 4-6-0, as much as I don't want to take the piss, it feels like we might as well be playing that and torres might as well be another winger, he's probably better than malouda (who I don't want to see in the chelsea shirt again) and can whip in a decent cross. We can do what we did with anelka again.
    Dude, Chelsea were like 3 points better off than they were at this point last season a couple of weeks ago, so don't throw your toys out of the pram, others around of us have improven/had a better season, that happens in football!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbow_kisses)
    Dude, Chelsea were like 3 points better off than they were at this point last season a couple of weeks ago, so don't throw your toys out of the pram, others around of us have improven/had a better season, that happens in football!
    We still have city away, arsenal at the emirates, liverpool at anfield, tottenham at the bridge. I can see us beating arsenal and tottenham at most, that won't be enough for top 4, especially with our inconsistency with beating the small teams.

Although, I might just be saying this because of everton, which is unfair on everton since they do this every season, everton away was always going to be tough and I wouldn't have been surprised if we lost, but to lose like we did was terrible. We should have been challenging for the title this season or at least be making top 4 comfortably, by march last season we were genuine top 4 and potential title contenders, we don't look like that at the moment.

Anyway, we have to beat napoli. They're doing just as bad as we are so we really don't have the excuse that they're in good form.

ReputationRep:
    We still have city away, arsenal at the emirates, liverpool at anfield, tottenham at the bridge. I can see us beating arsenal and tottenham at most, that won't be enough for top 4, especially with our inconsistency with beating the small teams.

Although, I might just be saying this because of everton, which is unfair on everton since they do this every season, everton away was always going to be tough and I wouldn't have been surprised if we lost, but to lose like we did was terrible. We should have been challenging for the title this season or at least be making top 4 comfortably, by march last season we were genuine top 4 and potential title contenders, we don't look like that at the moment.

Anyway, we have to beat napoli. They're doing just as bad as we are so we really don't have the excuse that they're in good form.
    Im sure we will bro, just keep the faith, we will get that top 4

ReputationRep:
    Im sure we will bro, just keep the faith, we will get that top 4
    Yeah hopefully man, also, has josh mceachran been starting for swansea? Haven't heard too much of him.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah hopefully man, also, has josh mceachran been starting for swansea? Haven't heard too much of him.
    He played 90 against Norwich on Saturday as far as im aware!

ReputationRep:
    He played 90 against Norwich on Saturday as far as im aware!
    He played for seventy-three minutes, before being substituted. By all accounts he seems to have done okay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EhsanA)
    Yes, but the problem is is that his form is becoming permanent. There are drops in form, and then there's one goal in nineteen games for club and country, and five in forty-six over a period of a year. That's a goal every nine games.

ReputationRep:
    i'm about to get tickets with two mates for the fa cup tie against birmingham, does anyone have any recommendations as to where we sit?

ReputationRep:
    You know that things are in shambles when you miss Kalou :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UnWise)
    You know that things are in shambles when you miss Kalou :facepalm2:
    Tbh, I've always preferred him over malouda. He does **** all, but at least kalou will get you a goal when we need it, or he'll hand the opposition a goal on a plate :facepalm2: At least it's better than backpassing malouda who only goes for a shot when his job is to assist the strikers.

ReputationRep:
    There was a meeting called today between the playing staff, AVB and Roman. AVB had to call all the players in on their day off, and I heard that Roman was considering sacking AVB, but I think that's very unlikely.

Tbh, I don't know where we go from here. It seems he's kept his possession philosophy, but it hasn't produced any changes in our results. He took the blame for our defeat against Everton on the weekend, but he's not really helping himself by choosing to stick with tactics that haven't really worked. A better manager would realise that he needs to adapt and change to a formation & adopt tactics that suits the team and plays to our advantage. Since AVB isn't changing anything, I don't see us winning games anytime in the future. I remember a meeting being called early in the season and just recently there's another that's been called. My patience is beginning to wear thin with Villas-Boas unless he changes something because he's probably ticked off the majority if not all of the fans.

ReputationRep:
    I miss Drogba.

He hasn't come back quick enough, but I hope he isn't too disheartened about the ACON. :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hemzo)
    There was a meeting called today between the playing staff, AVB and Roman. AVB had to call all the players in on their day off, and I heard that Roman was considering sacking AVB, but I think that's very unlikely.

Tbh, I don't know where we go from here. It seems he's kept his possession philosophy, but it hasn't produced any changes in our results. He took the blame for our defeat against Everton on the weekend, but he's not really helping himself by choosing to stick with tactics that haven't really worked. A better manager would realise that he needs to adapt and change to a formation & adopt tactics that suits the team and plays to our advantage. Since AVB isn't changing anything, I don't see us winning games anytime in the future. I remember a meeting being called early in the season and just recently there's another that's been called. My patience is beginning to wear thin with Villas-Boas unless he changes something because he's probably ticked off the majority if not all of the fans.
    I don't understand why Chelsea fans can't see it's a transitional phase at the moment. You aren't going to be winning every game and you can't attribute poor player performances on Boas solely. You need to see whether Torres has still got it to play in the Premier league this season. If not, you need to sell him. You need to fix your team as some of the older players are holding you back.

Abramovic and most Chelsea fans need to realise football doesn't work by sacking the manager every season if they can't win a trophy. No manager could with the current squad you have. Villas Boas is actually a very good manager who needs time to fix the after-math of Mourinho.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darth Vader 7)
    I don't understand why Chelsea fans can't see it's a transitional phase at the moment. You aren't going to be winning every game and you can't attribute poor player performances on Boas solely. You need to see whether Torres has still got it to play in the Premier league this season. If not, you need to sell him. You need to fix your team as some of the older players are holding you back.

Abramovic and most Chelsea fans need to realise football doesn't work by sacking the manager every season if they can't win a trophy. No manager could with the current squad you have. Villas Boas is actually a very good manager who needs time to fix the after-math of Mourinho.
    This.

Every team goes through transitional periods, yes, even Chelsea. :rolleyes:

Chelsea's spine is crap. Terry is unbelievably slow and doesn't work with Luiz/the high line, Cahill is average at best, Lampard offers nothing special at either end, Essien is a shadow of the player he was, Merieles is nearing 30, Mikel has gone backwards, Torres and Drogba are old/crap. The only stand out performer has been Ramires. Everyone has known for 3 years that Chelsea need to bring in quality young players, instead they've relied on the older players more and more and now they're paying for it.

We're (Liverpool) in a transition at the moment after our 2 year slump, Arsenal seem to be starting theirs after selling Nasri/Fabregas/Clichy recently. Whilst Tottenham and City are on the rise they'll have to do the same in a few years time as well, and even United are still rebuilding after the 09 team. It takes time, something which Roman refuses to give managers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    This.

Every team goes through transitional periods, yes, even Chelsea. :rolleyes:

Chelsea's spine is crap. Terry is unbelievably slow and doesn't work with Luiz/the high line, Cahill is average at best, Lampard offers nothing special at either end, Essien is a shadow of the player he was, Merieles is nearing 30, Mikel has gone backwards, Torres and Drogba are old/crap. The only stand out performer has been Ramires. Everyone has known for 3 years that Chelsea need to bring in quality young players, instead they've relied on the older players more and more and now they're paying for it.

We're (Liverpool) in a transition at the moment after our 2 year slump, Arsenal seem to be starting theirs after selling Nasri/Fabregas/Clichy recently. Whilst Tottenham and City are on the rise they'll have to do the same in a few years time as well, and even United are still rebuilding after the 09 team. It takes time, something which Roman refuses to give managers.
    Exactly, aside from City and Tottenham who have finally reached the peak of their potential after a couple years of building, the other 4 teams are trying to rebuild again.

Why do you think there has been so much inconsistency between the Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal? They are all clearly in a transitional phase.

I love banter between fans about the rivals shortcomings but it is sickening that no manager is given a chance at Chelsea. That will be your ultimate downfall for Champions league glory.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darth Vader 7)
    I don't understand why Chelsea fans can't see it's a transitional phase at the moment.
    What does transition mean though? Change? I don't see much of that happening in terms of personnel any more than usual or in playing style. If we were in transition I wouldn't mind us winning 2 in 10 or 12 or whatever it is because we could see signs of the future but I can't. Take the United away game for instance at the start of the season, there was a lot of optimism from the Chelsea supporters could we could see signs of transition and a look towards the future. But now that high line and exciting attacking has gone. Now it's just a decline rather than transition.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.