Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    2-1 to chelsea in my opinion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Exactly, AVB will play drogba, because he can motivate the team, torres can't even motivate himself, He should be on the bench, if we wrap up the game(unlikely) or we desperately need to score, we swap drogba for torres or go 4-2-4. I think we need to go 4-3-3 for once, because we need to go defensive due to napoli's strength in counter attacking. Romeu/mikel can help break down the play and sit deep in front of the defence.

Maggio and dossena are pretty good down the wings, so it'll be a tough job for them. I reckon cole will be fit for the game/be played regardless.
    Yeah I agree, I'm usually insistent on us adapting to a new style perhaps a 4-2-3-1 to try and get the best out of Torres and Mata, but tomorrow we just need to be compact and organised and use Drogba's qualities as a powerful striker. Ideally we should line up as we did against Valencia at the Bridge. Though we were fortunate to score early enough that we never had to chase the game we were really solid that day and looked a threat on the counter when Valencia conceded possession. If we try to play the ball all the time with slow passing in Napoli's half just on the edge of the final third of play like we've done so often recently, they'll cut us open.
    I don't think we need flair/creative footballers, just focused talented players who will work hard for the team and push Napoli for every ball. Any ideas on team selection? Haven't seen Romeu for a while so if we do play a 4-3-3 we may well see Mikel play that deep midfield role. Iva's gotta play at right back for me too so if Terry isn't fit, AVB might have to go with the Cahill and Luiz partnership he seems to not like too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UnWise)
    Scored a goal and got an assist just a couple of days ago.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/gvideos/dijon-3-nice-0/

Quality finish on his goal.

And his first touch prior to assisting the second goal is just...:coma:
    So, it's a daniel sturridge situation again if he keeps up this form? :facepalm2:
    Well looks like ancelotti was right about him needing games and being a quality player.

ReputationRep:
    This is where our season will be decided, I have that feeling.

I cannot even begin the predict the score; we've never been as inconsistent.

Just hope for the best lads.

KTBFFH.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by USB)
    This is where our season will be decided, I have that feeling.

I cannot even begin the predict the score; we've never been as inconsistent.

Just hope for the best lads.

KTBFFH.
    Look at the bright side, at least we're not in arsenals shoes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hatchet)
    Yeah I agree, I'm usually insistent on us adapting to a new style perhaps a 4-2-3-1 to try and get the best out of Torres and Mata, but tomorrow we just need to be compact and organised and use Drogba's qualities as a powerful striker. Ideally we should line up as we did against Valencia at the Bridge. Though we were fortunate to score early enough that we never had to chase the game we were really solid that day and looked a threat on the counter when Valencia conceded possession. If we try to play the ball all the time with slow passing in Napoli's half just on the edge of the final third of play like we've done so often recently, they'll cut us open.
    I don't think we need flair/creative footballers, just focused talented players who will work hard for the team and push Napoli for every ball. Any ideas on team selection? Haven't seen Romeu for a while so if we do play a 4-3-3 we may well see Mikel play that deep midfield role. Iva's gotta play at right back for me too so if Terry isn't fit, AVB might have to go with the Cahill and Luiz partnership he seems to not like too.
    Maybe an essien, ramires and mikel combination like we did at the start of last season. Unlikely, we'll probably see meireles or lampard partnered with meireles, but for the love of god, he should not put essien as a DM, we need someone to drop deep and break down play, romeu should be on the bench at least. maybe romeu was getting tired from playing all those games.

Iva is better as a right back anyway, he doesn't get beat with pace there, but he gets beat with pace at the CB position as terry is too slow and luiz goes too far forward for him to cover. I'm not too worried about seeing mikel go in the DM role. Maybe controlling the tempo might work against napoli. I think we're better at keeping possession than napoli, but that's a problem as their game isn't possession based.

ReputationRep:
    So, it's a daniel sturridge situation again if he keeps up this form? :facepalm2:
    Well looks like ancelotti was right about him needing games and being a quality player.
    I'm hoping that we haul him back this summer; in place of Malouda. Sounds like a fair enough trade :yes:

Kakuta and De Bruyne alternating on the left wing and Mata moving in behind the striker; sounds interesting. Instead of splashing the cash (i.e. Hazard and what have you) , work on what - youngsters - we've already got and see how it pans out tbfh. :awesome:

How's McEachran been doing at The Swans by the way? I haven't really been paying attention.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UnWise)
    I'm hoping that we haul him back this summer; in place of Malouda. Sounds like a fair enough trade :yes:

Kakuta and De Bruyne alternating on the left wing and Mata moving in behind the striker; sounds interesting. Instead of splashing the cash (i.e. Hazard and what have you) , work on what - youngsters - we've already got and see how it pans out tbfh. :awesome:

How's McEachran been doing at The Swans by the way? I haven't really been paying attention.
    I heard he's been doing okay, he hasn't got the headlines like sturridge has yet but he's been starting games at least. Yeah I reckon that's what we should do with regards to youth, although de bruyne isn't part of AVB's project, maybe he could force his way into it though, malouda should leave this summer and kalou will probably go to some random team in another country like galatasaray or something as he's not gonna sign the new contract.

ReputationRep:
    I heard he's been doing okay, he hasn't got the headlines like sturridge has yet but he's been starting games at least. Yeah I reckon that's what we should do with regards to youth, although de bruyne isn't part of AVB's project, maybe he could force his way into it though, malouda should leave this summer and kalou will probably go to some random team in another country like galatasaray or something as he's not gonna sign the new contract.
    Sounds decent @ McEachran; starting regularly is just what he needs for his development.

Wouldn't mind Kalou staying at all. At least he gets the odd important goal every now and then; and seems to give it his all whenever he gets the chance. He doesn't moan about the limited amounts of games he gets either; but instead acts professionally - much like Ferreira.

...unlike some other ****!

Malouda HAS to go. I seriously cringe every time I see him listed on a starting line-up. He plays as if he's from a lower league side and then he has the audacity to moan about the few starts he gets?

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11668/7435098/

What the actual ****!?! :unimpressed:

ReputationRep:
    The terry arguments are hilarious. "He's past it, he's so slow nowadays." As if he ever was lightening quick?! And whoever said he's incompetent on the ball... Wow, he's brilliant on the ball. The best English centre half on the ball, I've ever seen.

Not confident ahead of tomorrow, Drogba back up front is a massive plus, but can't see us not conceding. I'd be happy at 2-1, head into the return leg with it up for grabs, think we'd qualify in that situation.

Anyway, CL is for nights like this, let's just enjoy it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maccy7)
    The terry arguments are hilarious. "He's past it, he's so slow nowadays." As if he ever was lightening quick?! And whoever said he's incompetent on the ball... Wow, he's brilliant on the ball. The best English centre half on the ball, I've ever seen.
    Agree, he's been our best CB again this season. Some people just want change for the sake of it, not because the replacement is actually any better.

Whoever said Terry wasn't good on the ball. Ha, ha ha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cfc1992)
    Agree, he's been our best CB again this season. Some people just want change for the sake of it, not because the replacement is actually any better.

Whoever said Terry wasn't good on the ball. Ha, ha ha.
    Thank you, In fact terry used to be a CM. How could he not be good on the ball, he's good on both feet too, I think this season he had two poor games against arsenal and liverpool, besides that he's been quality.

(Original post by maccy7)

Not confident ahead of tomorrow, Drogba back up front is a massive plus, but can't see us not conceding. I'd be happy at 2-1, head into the return leg with it up for grabs, think we'd qualify in that situation.

Anyway, CL is for nights like this, let's just enjoy it!
    I'm not too confident, I think we can force a 1-1 draw, I'll be happy with that. Also, terry is englands best defender(only king can say otherwise with his record at tottenham) He's top class. People have been saying he's washed up for seasons, which I don't get as we had the best defensive record last season. By that I might as well say that vidic is crap.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/g...242404&index=0

:rofl:

ReputationRep:
    They were telling us to pay his release clause, which was something like 60 million. They didn't want us to do what we did with ferreira and carvalho when jose was manager.
    He went for €40m raising up to €47 over time, plus €5m for Ruben Micael was included in the deal too. Falcao's release clause was €30m and we offered a contract to him in July to raise it up to €45m as we knew he would be leaving in that summer. You only rumoured to have offered around €30m, whether you did offer or not, I don’t know. He wasn't €60 and has never been €60. If you offered his release clause which was €45 then you probably would have got him. That had nothing to do with us being pricks or not giving him to you because of the whole rubbish with having our players and managers and what have you. When there’s that sort of money involved I doubt we give a damn to whether he buggers off to Qatar or goes and plays for Chelsea. We just look at making a huge profit on these players that we got for cheap. Hulk has a ridiculous €100m release fee and teams are not willing to pay that and making him captain in January was possibly another main reason why he didn’t look to be leaving in that time. He’ll be gone in the summer though, probably for the €45 like Falcao.

ReputationRep:
    Terry has been confirmed as out - he will also miss England vs Holland.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusmerehay)
    Terry has been confirmed as out - he will also miss England vs Holland.
    Damn, we needed him tonight.

It says up to 6 WEEKS out! I though he just bruised a bone hitting the goalpost, why does he need surgery now!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JClive)
    Damn, we needed him tonight.

It says up to 6 WEEKS out! I though he just bruised a bone hitting the goalpost, why does he need surgery now!?
    6 weeks? See you later top 4 hopes. Especially with your main striker performing this way too. I don't see Luiz as an adequate replacement.

ReputationRep:
    napoli could win this 3-0, or it will finish 0-0. underestimate them at your peril, however overestimate them at your peril also. this is another way in which they seem to do well, people hype them up and give them too much respect, allowing them to play more than they should, this is because they are such a wildcard team.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck plastics! You're gonna need it tonight!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simoncino)
    napoli could win this 3-0, or it will finish 0-0. underestimate them at your peril, however overestimate them at your peril also. this is another way in which they seem to do well, people hype them up and give them too much respect, allowing them to play more than they should, this is because they are such a wildcard team.
    Watch out we're going to beat you 5-0 at the Emirates.

Spoiler:
    Show

ony for Ibra to score in the 94th minute knocking us out...

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 15, 2012
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.