Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raheem94)
    Do you see chelsea turning the tie around in the second leg?I don't believe chelsea will be able to overcome the deficit in the second leg, napoli are also good away from home they also tied in manchester.
    Exactly. I'm not overrating napoli but I'm not underrating/underestimating them either. They have had good results against big teams and they won't be beaten easily at Stamford Bridge. Any chelsea fan that is very optimistic/confident about chelsea K.O.ing napoli is very deluded.
    Will AVB be sacked?
    I think that it will be unfair to sack him, it isn't his mistake, the quality of chelsea players has decreased. The money they have spent hasn't brought them what was expected and their previous heroes are fading now due to age.
    I disagree here. I think that both AVB and the players are to blame. What many people forget is that last season, Chelsea finished 2nd in the league (and was quite close to winning the title at one point). Yes, they had some bad periods but they finished strongly near the end of the season. Not all the players that challenged for the league last season could have gotten crap overnight. How do league challengers become rubbish overnight unless a certain manager cannot use the squad properly.?

Yes, some of the players are generally poor this year (e.g. Malouda, Bosingwa, Drogba). But that doesn't excuse AVB constantly picking these average/rubbish players when there are better players available. Why does he keep picking Bosingwa? Why Malouda? Why Meireles (who has been poor for a while)? Why does he regularly make crap substitutions? Why are his tactics generally poor? His team selection tonight was quite poor as well. The fact is AVB is just as much to blame for chelsea's bad season so far as the players.

Yes, there may be some player power in the club, leading to some of them disrespecting AVB and not playing for him. But AVB has to take some blame for alienating some of the players and not handling them properly. He also had the chance to get rid of some of them during the summer but chose to stick with them. It is very clear that AVB must take a lot of blame as well as the players.

In my opinion, now chelsea need to make sure the transition happens during AVB's reign, sacking him won't be a good thing. They need to bring in some good young creative and goal scoring players. I would think their best options would be to buy gotze, podolski and demba ba, these all would come cheap except gotze. They also need to sell drogba, he is old now and they need to make sure they are planning for the future now. Torres should also be sold, he has completely failed to hit the heights and i don't see a 50 million player in him again, he should move to spain to clubs like malaga.

Chelsea's failure this season is due to their lack of creativity their only creative player is mata, just wondering how the season would have turned out for chelsea hadn't they bought mata.

Now lets see who takes the fourth spot, the champions league dream of both clubs look dead, arsenal or chelsea.
    I generally agree with this part but I think you're being a bit harsh on Torres. Yes, he could score more goals but he has made some good assists (e.g. against ManU) and has had good link up play with the players at times this season.

ReputationRep:
    Do agree with you, i also don't see chelsea qualifying. Chelsea need try to win at home to at least regain some pride but i don't think they will be able to manage it.

Chelsea are struggling to score, they lack the creativity, the finishing, how can they score three.

Keeping a clean sheet against napoli at home will be a big result for chelsea.
    With all those things in mind, they still managed to score three against ManUtd just a couple of weeks ago.

The problem will be, rather, to keep things tight at the back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UnWise)
    With all those things in mind, they still managed to score three against ManUtd just a couple of weeks ago.

The problem will be, rather, to keep things tight at the back.
    I agree. Chelsea's defence has been one of their biggest problems this year alongside their general lack of creativity. If they had a good defence this season, they would have been higher up the table and wouldn't have conceded 3 goals tonight.

ReputationRep:
    Do agree with you, i also don't see chelsea qualifying. Chelsea need try to win at home to at least regain some pride but i don't think they will be able to manage it.

Chelsea are struggling to score, they lack the creativity, the finishing, how can they score three.

Keeping a clean sheet against napoli at home will be a big result for chelsea.
    I agree. Chelsea need to have a strong and disciplined defence in the 2nd leg to stand a chance of going to the next stage of the CL. It is not impossible for them to K.O. napoli but they need to play like they've never played before.

ReputationRep:
    If we sort out our defence within two weeks, we can go into the second leg with optimism.

If however we continue to be ****ty at the back, then there will only ever be a single outcome.

This a dark time for Chelsea considering what they could and really should have achieved :/

ReputationRep:
    Bring back Avram.

ReputationRep:
    I think one of the biggest problems we have as fans is that we know so little about other teams and they know so much about our teams, I'm starting to worry that our managers aren't paying enough attention to the teams we're facing until we reach the Quarter or semi-finals.

Chelsea fell into Napoli's trap like little kids out there today and Arsenal did exactly the same at the San Siro (with even worse consequences). Napoli is a team built around their amazing counter-attacking proficiency while relying on De Sanctis to save them at the back. If the fans and the players go into the second leg full of arrogance then it might even be worse at Stamford Bridge, Chelsea searching for goals and attacking is exactly what Napoli want and boy will they take advantage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rickjames)
    Eh?
    Yeah Man Utd too. Relatively poor quality of football. In Europe, even the Italians are doing better, let alone the likes of Barca or Real which we're absolutely nowhere near (compare to 3-5 years ago).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    Yeah Man Utd too. Relatively poor quality of football. In Europe, even the Italians are doing better, let alone the likes of Barca or Real which we're absolutely nowhere near (compare to 3-5 years ago).
    Then you also have Bayern Munich and PSG now may start spending a lot of money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by In2deep)
    I think one of the biggest problems we have as fans is that we know so little about other teams and they know so much about our teams, I'm starting to worry that our managers aren't paying enough attention to the teams we're facing until we reach the Quarter or semi-finals.

Chelsea fell into Napoli's trap like little kids out there today and Arsenal did exactly the same at the San Siro (with even worse consequences). Napoli is a team built around their amazing counter-attacking proficiency while relying on De Sanctis to save them at the back. If the fans and the players go into the second leg full of arrogance then it might even be worse at Stamford Bridge, Chelsea searching for goals and attacking is exactly what Napoli want and boy will they take advantage.
    Spot on.

I find it annoying when PL fans keep underestimating and disrespecting foreign teams while overrating the PL teams. Then when they get beaten, they start looking for excuses and say stuff like "If we had taken our chances, we would've won/drawn". But they ignore the other chances that the other teams had and just put down any suggestion that the foreign team is better than some top PL teams. Then, they go off, overrating the PL and saying it's the best league in the world.

Pffffttt. As if.

For example, remember the CL final in 2009 between ManU and Barca? Do you remember those arrogant ManU and PL fans (including the media) who were overrating ManU and the premier league while downplaying Barca & Messi and disrespecting La Liga? What happened? ManU were outplayed and lost. Oh and Messi scored as well (the icing on the cake). Then some of those PL fanboys ignored the fact that Barca were superior and thought that ManU were still the better team and would have won on another day. Well, fast forward to last year's CL final. Once again, the PL fanboys were at it again. Instead of them to learn their lesson, they were downplaying and disrespecting Barca, Messi and La Liga. What happened? ManU got raped. Again. And Messi scored. Again.

You might realise by now that I'm one of those football fans that are actually well educated/informed about foreign leagues and can respect their top teams. But PL fanboys will never learn to stop being arrogant and stop disrespecting other top european teams. They need to watch more games from other leagues in their free time, learn their different styles of football and learn to respect their top teams.

From these lessons, the PL clubs can impose better tactics to cope with the strengths of foreign teams and get better results. But they must respect foreign teams first before this can happen.

Oh look...PL fanboys negging. Must have touched a nerve. Job done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZTSR)
    Bring back Avram.
    Lol. U mad? Look what he did at West Ham and Portsmouth.

Surely, you must be joking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cable)
    Lol. U mad? Look what he did at West Ham and Portsmouth.

Surely, you must be joking?
    Has more of a clue than AVB.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZTSR)
    Has more of a clue than AVB.
    Lol. I know that Chelsea strongly challenged for the PL with Avram and came close to winning the CL, but I think that had more to do with the players and Steve Clark. There were so many times when Avram looked clueless at chelsea and wasn't truly in charge.

I agree that AVB has been bad so far (but the players must take some blame as well). There's no doubt that he has potential (e.g. his success with Porto). But at Chelsea, he has not consistently demonstrated that he is ready for the job. His team selections and tactics are generally poor, his substitutions are generally crap, chelsea's football is generally crap and their defence is shocking. On top of all that, their results have been appalling. He has taken a team that challenged for the league last year down to 5th so far. That's not good enough. He clearly deserves to be sacked at the end of the season imo.

But even though I don't think he deserves the job next season, I still think he mustn't be sacked. Here's why:

1) It would be too expensive to sack him.
    2) To avoid regrets. Like I said, he has good potential. If he learns from his mistakes next season, fulfils his potential and gets chelsea to be a good team again (after getting rid of crap players and getting his own players), then he can keep his job and save you money. But if chelsea are still crap next year, then you can sack him if there are good managers available.

I think this is a better option because if you sack him this season and he goes to another top team and becomes successful, you could regret getting rid of him in the first place.

So while I think he doesn't deserve the job as he's been poor so far, I don't think it would be very wise to sack him at the end of the season (unless he takes chelsea down to 6th/7th in the league).

ReputationRep:
    I think thats pretty knee jerk considering you outlined Man Utd have poor quality in the English league, being 2nd despite the most injuries out of all teams in the PL.

But hey, if we're looking at Europe we've hit 2 finals in 3 years and got knocked out in the final decisive game to Basel with again, injuries and hap-hazard goal keeping. Everyone knew our elimination was a freak incident, and nothing down to the quality of our side.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rickjames)
    I think thats pretty knee jerk considering you outlined Man Utd have poor quality in the English league, being 2nd despite the most injuries out of all teams in the PL.

But hey, if we're looking at Europe we've hit 2 finals in 3 years and got knocked out in the final decisive game to Basel with again, injuries and hap-hazard goal keeping. Everyone knew our elimination was a freak incident, and nothing down to the quality of our side.
    The gulf in class in the CL finals against Barcelona was pretty obvious.

Freak incident? You lost and drew to Basel, drew twice with Benfica. There is nothing freakish at all -- these are average teams and United could not deliver. The quality of United's football in Europe was mediocre and there was nothing 'freakish' about their exit; it was consistent with their poor play and results.

ReputationRep:
    The gulf in class in the CL finals against Barcelona was pretty obvious.

Freak incident? You lost and drew to Basel, drew twice with Benfica. There is nothing freakish at all -- these are average teams and United could not deliver. The quality of United's football in Europe was mediocre and there was nothing 'freakish' about their exit; it was consistent with their poor play and results.
    Ye united are consistently poor . Spot on there.. you are clearly a football genius who has such intelligence he knows more than actual results show..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    Ye united are consistently poor . Spot on there.. you are clearly a football genius who has such intelligence he knows more than actual results show..
    And you're a genius who can't read. They were poor in Europe and that was the overriding reason for their exit ie. they were consistently poor in Europe this season.I'm not referring to previous seasons.

I just gave you the results. Please refute them if I've got them wrong.

ReputationRep:
    This definitely feels like a watershed season with regards to the English clubs dominance of Europe. Not so long ago we had 3 teams in the semi finals, yet now we'll be lucky to have 1 team in the last 8. There's no way we can claim to have the best league in the World anymore after this season.

Good luck to you guys in the second leg though. :yy:

ReputationRep:
    And you're a genius who can't read. They were poor in Europe and that was the overriding reason for their exit ie. they were consistently poor in Europe this season.I'm not referring to previous seasons.

I just gave you the results. Please refute them if I've got them wrong.
    'THe quality in Europe was mediocre and was consistent withthere poor play' = you fail at writing if you didn't intend that as a general statement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    'THe quality in Europe was mediocre and was consistent withthere poor play' = you fail at writing if you didn't intend that as a general statement.
    Dude, you are embarrassing yourself. It's very clear I was replying to the poster whom I quoted about why they got booted out of Europe this season. Clutching at straws there.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.