Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    As soon as Ray Wilkins left we became crap

ReputationRep:
    Disappointing result last night. Going to be very difficult to go through, keeping a clean sheet I would say is nigh on impossible, particularly without JT. Then we need at least 3 goals, but you never know. Going to be a big occasion, European nights at the Bridge are always rocking, so you never know.

Meireles was terrible last night, not just for the first goal, but also his general retention of possession, truly awful. Ramires looked rusty, understandable after 4 weeks out. Malouda was better than he usually is, still not good enough! Not playing a holding player last night was tactical suicide.

Heard a lot of people criticising Ivanovic, VERY unfair IMO. He had Zuniga and Lavezzi coming at him all night, with Cavani pulling onto him at times as well, with literally no cover. I felt sorry for him, he couldn't cope with all the movement, no right-back in the world would have been able to.

The Avram talk got me thinking, yes I don't rate him as a manager, but John Terry doesn't slip, slots home, we win the CL, Avram's job is secure for a year. He actually did well for us in his short spell, we played good football and made up good ground on United, pushed them close for the league IIRC. All I'm saying is that it was very feasible that Avram got the job full time, such fine margins in football, the width of the post quite literally.

ReputationRep:
    Your youngsters have come from 3-0 down in the FA Youth Cup quarter-finals against Forest to be drawing 3-3.

Not long to go now, Piazon scored the first while Feruz has 2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusmerehay)
    Your youngsters have come from 3-0 down in the FA Youth Cup quarter-finals against Forest to be drawing 3-3.

Not long to go now, Piazon scored the first while Feruz has 2.
    Feruz :emo:

ReputationRep:
    4-3 wooo

ReputationRep:
    Lol my mate (arsenal fan) reckons arsenal have a better chance of getting to the next round than chelsea do against napoli. Deluded

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hdr95)
    Lol my mate (arsenal fan) reckons arsenal have a better chance of getting to the next round than chelsea do against napoli. Deluded
    RVP to score all 5 goals

EASY EASY EASY

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    RVP to score all 5 goals

EASY EASY EASY
    Nah you've got it wrong. RvP will score 4 goals but then a classic Arsenal moment will happen....

Spoiler:
    Show
    Ibra will score a 95th winner after Squillaci slips (when he's playing disaster normally strikes anyays).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maccy7)
    Disappointing result last night. Going to be very difficult to go through, keeping a clean sheet I would say is nigh on impossible, particularly without JT. Then we need at least 3 goals, but you never know. Going to be a big occasion, European nights at the Bridge are always rocking, so you never know.

Meireles was terrible last night, not just for the first goal, but also his general retention of possession, truly awful. Ramires looked rusty, understandable after 4 weeks out. Malouda was better than he usually is, still not good enough! Not playing a holding player last night was tactical suicide.

Heard a lot of people criticising Ivanovic, VERY unfair IMO. He had Zuniga and Lavezzi coming at him all night, with Cavani pulling onto him at times as well, with literally no cover. I felt sorry for him, he couldn't cope with all the movement, no right-back in the world would have been able to.

The Avram talk got me thinking, yes I don't rate him as a manager, but John Terry doesn't slip, slots home, we win the CL, Avram's job is secure for a year. He actually did well for us in his short spell, we played good football and made up good ground on United, pushed them close for the league IIRC. All I'm saying is that it was very feasible that Avram got the job full time, such fine margins in football, the width of the post quite literally.
    Yeah, with avram, we were also unbeaten at home that season, although I think player power got him out though tbh. His signings weren't too bad either, seeing as he got us anelka I think, malouda and ben haim were bought by jose. We were unlucky, could have just as easily got a treble that year yet we ended up with nothing, had united lost and we drew or won the last game of the season, terry slotted that penalty in and we beat tottenham, avram grant would be a chelsea legend.

Still annoyed with what he did to west ham though. With the napoli match, I'm not too worried, I think we will win it 2-1 but won't be enough obviously, barca came back 3-1 down against us in the CL 13 years ago and then battered us in the second leg, so you never know. Plus we haven't conceded at the bridge in the CL this season, with those trump cards, we could just as easily go through, we will beat bolton, we have their best player(who hasn't been terrible for us like he was at bolton this season) so we should really stroll through, although we know this won't really happen and we'll just about win 1-0 or 2-1. He also does seem to be picking players on loyalty, we had to use bosingwa as a CB vs tottenham(although he played very well)

Also, we should really see more of bertrand, he should at least play in the FA cup replay vs birmingham, could have easily got man of the match if their keeper didn't save the penalty.

(Original post by TheInvincibles14)
    Nah you've got it wrong. RvP will score 4 goals but then a classic Arsenal moment will happen....

Spoiler:
    Show
    Ibra will score a 95th winner after Squillaci slips (when he's playing disaster normally strikes anyays).
    No, what will happen, is that milan will do a long ball into the box, sczechny goes to catch it, djourou then attempts to clear the ball and the ball drops, confusion in the box and one of ibra or robinho will score at the 88th minute. Seeing as robinho likes to score against you guys, it will probably be him.

ReputationRep:
    If either of those happen, I can't be held responsible for my actions.

ReputationRep:
    I'll probably die from laughter.
    (Original post by hdr95)
    Trust me, arsenal fans are honestly on some strong stuff. The thing is, it's just arsenal fans...I guess having 7 years without a trophy while staying in top 4 and always almost getting a trophy does this to people, it's like being on some strong ecstasy.

Obviously some arsenal fans woke up a long time ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Home H, Away A) Our next four games are Bolton H, West Brom A, Birmingham A(fa cup) and Stoke H. Those are four very winnable games against opposition we usually do well against. If we could (I think for the first time this season) string a run of four wins together leading into the Napoli game or even just string some good performances you never know what can happen. The only thing is we don't look like a team that can string wins together or maintain any kind of consistency or focus in spite of the quality we have.

It will be so frustrating if we get knocked out in my opinion. I felt as though the players were up for it last night and if AVB had gone with our best line-up and better in game tactics we could have won in Napoli. Napoli deserved their win but I don't think we made it difficult enough for them in the end. Our lack of conviction both defensively and offensively is just so disappointing and AVB keeps making the same mistakes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hatchet)
    (Home H, Away A) Our next four games are Bolton H, West Brom A, Birmingham A(fa cup) and Stoke H. Those are four very winnable games against opposition we usually do well against. If we could (I think for the first time this season) string a run of four wins together leading into the Napoli game or even just string some good performances you never know what can happen. The only thing is we don't look like a team that can string wins together or maintain any kind of consistency or focus in spite of the quality we have.

It will be so frustrating if we get knocked out in my opinion. I felt as though the players were up for it last night and if AVB had gone with our best line-up and better in game tactics we could have won in Napoli. Napoli deserved their win but I don't think we made it difficult enough for them in the end. Our lack of conviction both defensively and offensively is just so disappointing and AVB keeps making the same mistakes.
    Good post.

Do you want AVB sacked at the end of the season (or even now) or do you want him to stay?

ReputationRep:
    Went to the FAYC quarter finals tonight. Best Chelsea game I've been to in a long while. Showed amazing spirit and determination to get back to 4-3, and the celebrations that followed showed how much it meant to them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Made the move to a toxic environment too soon. Should've stayed at Porto a couple more years and gotton some CL experience first.
    Definitely agree with that. Should have gained some more European experience with Porto whilst no doubt still being able to walk the league.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R-KAM)
    Definitely agree with that. Should have gained some more European experience with Porto whilst no doubt still being able to walk the league.
    The other thing is that had he stayed at Porto, a few of his star players would have turned into divas with all the fame and money no doubt (and wanting big moves or influence at the club) and he would have been able to learn how to effectively deal with this issue in a safe environment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cable)
    Good post.

Do you want AVB sacked at the end of the season (or even now) or do you want him to stay?
    Tough call for the club. In signing AVB I think the board, and me as well, bought into this idea of him being a little Wenger/Guardiola/Fergie and were hoping he would have the same impact those managers have had for their clubs but for Chelsea. In all fairness AVB might still be the man to do that but the job he's got on at the moment is enormous. He's losing support of more senior squad players and the board are surely losing faith in this 'project' of his as results continue to slump.

In hindsight it seems as though the risk may not quite work out and the main reason is timing. Although AVB has been involved in coaching for many years, he's had very limited management experience, so to expect him to be able to lead us through this period of transition while maintaining strong performances was perhaps a bit of a stretch. If he had been able to inherit the team a year or two down the line when some of our more senior lads had moved on, it would have been easier to impose his own ideas.

I think the board just seemed to have such confidence that he was the right man to lead chelsea into a new era orfconsistent winning and longterm dominance that they were willing to spend a lot of money for him and ignore the potential risk. I'm sure they were aware that it would take time and it seemed as though they had given AVB a promise of time to build his project. But current performances are far below expectations and by the way Chelsea have conducted themselves over the last couple of years he should get sacked.

If we do sack him whether it is now or at the end of the season, it’s a tough for the board to decide on who to bring in. Do they search for a more experienced manager whose managed teams at the highest level, won top competitions and could have us play quality football? I thought we had that with Ancelotti and he's miles better than who we are currently being linked with (Benitez?). So the board say no and they decide to hold out and search for another talented unearthed manager to establish a long term winning reign. Well they find MrX but he ends up having the same problems as AVB, a striker who is afraid to shoot, a bunch of senior players unwilling to play a new style of football or accept that changes need to happen for the good of the club and no time to impose any of his ideas. Basically I think there are deeper underlying problems at Chelsea and AVB just happens to be the right man at the wrong time taking the brunt of it.

I don't see us sacking him, I just think it's a job that if he had taken on a year or two later it would have been so much easier for him. Although it's up for debate, I still think he needs players like Cole, Terry, Essien and Lampard(certainly in the squad) for the next year or two and to see three of those players miss out yesterday for what may have been non-footballing reasons is worrying. I just think if he had taken over from the start of next season it would be an easier task with the likes of Malouda, Kalou, Mikel etc looking likely to leave.
    But it is as it as and I think the board have to just work with their decision. They knew this would be a time consuming project where performances would suffer and they now have to deal with it.

In the recent years Chelsea it’s been us wanting everything i.e the trophies and the great footballing teams but not being prepared to wait for it. I think we'll wait this time, even for just another season and see how things go. Someone has go to take us through this period and although I wish it was Carlo and not AVB I think we just need to be patient and support the man in charge.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/...hkala-approach

So Mikel to Russia?

ReputationRep:
    Ok, since what we've realised is that we need a winger, who do you think would be a good choice of winger? The guy needs to be fast, good at dribbling and have a good delivery(basically malouda 2 years ago)

I know this is just football managering, but who would you like as a winger to see in our team who wouldn't cost too much (no idiots say messi or ronaldo) we almost got ozil 2 years ago but madrid beat us to him apparently?

There's Option 1, use kakuta and de bruyne(knowing us, we won't do that)
    So that leaves option 2, buy someone for around 10-25 million.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Ok, since what we've realised is that we need a winger, who do you think would be a good choice of winger? The guy needs to be fast, good at dribbling and have a good delivery(basically malouda 2 years ago)

I know this is just football managering, but who would you like as a winger to see in our team who wouldn't cost too much (no idiots say messi or ronaldo) we almost got ozil 2 years ago but madrid beat us to him apparently?

There's Option 1, use kakuta and de bruyne(knowing us, we won't do that)
    So that leaves option 2, buy someone for around 10-25 million.
    Willian? Heard we were set to buy him in the summer if I've heard correctly

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.