Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    French Ligue 1 club Dijon's got none other than Gael Kakuta on the backdrop of their homepage.

http://www.dfco.fr/

Looks to be doing very well over there

ReputationRep:
    Torres dropped from the Spain squad. Not going to help his confidence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Or (naively) one could hope that it'd spur him on to sort himself out. :erm:

ReputationRep:
    Haha :lol:

http://www.chelseafc.com/page/Academ...333478,00.html

ReputationRep:
    Predicted line ups for tomorrow ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by USB)
    Predicted line ups for tomorrow ?
    I really dunno anymore... what's happened with romeu?

Cech, cole, cahill, luiz, bosingwa, meireles/lampard, ramires, essien, sturridge, malouda, drogba.

We really should be playing romeu and get a holding midfielder to protect our defence, but then again, bolton are far from a threat, their defence is shocking, now we have their best player, I don't see how we can possibly not win this. Our striker has to score in this match...

I'll give up if we don't win.

ReputationRep:
    Pedro was dropped too. He's unlucky because of his injuries and the arrival of sanchez and fabregas who have been quality all season, plus the breakthrough of cuenca as well.

Soldado has been on fire for valencia, he deserves it ahead of torres, dunno about negredo, but he's probably doing better than torres so there isn't space for him.

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully AVB will choose this line-up:

Cech - Ivanovic,Cahil,Luiz,Cole - Essien,Ramires,Lampard - Sturridge,Torres,Mata

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Pedro was dropped too. He's unlucky because of his injuries and the arrival of sanchez and fabregas who have been quality all season, plus the breakthrough of cuenca as well.

Soldado has been on fire for valencia, he deserves it ahead of torres, dunno about negredo, but he's probably doing better than torres so there isn't space for him.
    Well Pedro has been on the fringes anyway. Even Mata struggles to get into the first team?

Torres and Villa have been have been main stays in the Spanish squad for over 5 years now. Aged 27, he should now be at the peak of his powers. Such a shame how much he seems to have fallen.

How long until you think Chelsea should cut their losses? I mean with Shevchenko I think it was 2 years (along with a year back at Milan) before he was axed.

ReputationRep:
    I genuinely hate seeing the demise of Torres. Whilst at Liverpool he was my favourite striker in the world to watch. (Arguably the best too(For the record, I'm not a Liverpool fan, incase anyone that doesn't know me thinks it)). I really think coming back too early from injuries has ruined him. Really gutting to see, he had everything.

ReputationRep:
    Think he'll pick

Cech

Ivanovic - Cahill - Luiz - Cole

Ramires - Essien - Lampard

Sturridge - Torres - Mata

Bosingwa is out for 2 weeks so he won't play. Might even see Paulo make a rare appearance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R-KAM)
    I genuinely hate seeing the demise of Torres. Whilst at Liverpool he was my favourite striker in the world to watch. (Arguably the best too(For the record, I'm not a Liverpool fan, incase anyone that doesn't know me thinks it)). I really think coming back too early from injuries has ruined him. Really gutting to see, he had everything.
    What's interesting is that his pace made him a world beater as he skinned a lot of defenders and left many more on their backsides. Injuries seem to have taken that away from him but it doesn't entirely correlate with how bad his finishing has suddenly become.

ReputationRep:
    What's interesting is that his pace made him a world beater as he skinned a lot of defenders and left many more on their backsides. Injuries seem to have taken that away from him but it doesn't entirely correlate with how bad his finishing has suddenly become.
    No confidence, simple as, it's been a case of zero confidence, he then has a very good game and he still can't put the ball in the back of the net.

ReputationRep:
    Very winnable game today! Come on lads!

ReputationRep:
    Carlo is backing us, he's saying that we don't have the quality in the reserve to drop lampard and others, I think that's a load of crap, so daniel sturridge for anelka isn't enough quality(plays anelka all season), selling matic, not playing bertrand, selling borini who has more goals than any of our strikers, 6 goals in 11 appearances too ffs, selling sinclair to swansea when we desperately need a all purpose winger who can cross or get past players like malouda used to do. We've now loaned kakuta, who's having a good loan spell by what it seems, why do none of our players make a breakthrough at chelsea, look at barcelona, do you see them loan players out for their breakthrough(fabregas only became in their long term plans when it was clear he wanted to leave arsenal.

Our only playmaker in CM bar lampard is on loan to swansea when we need one so badly.
    Also, borini left us in an undisclosed deal.

ReputationRep:
    Carlo is backing us, he's saying that we don't have the quality in the reserve to drop lampard and others, I think that's a load of crap, so daniel sturridge for anelka isn't enough quality(plays anelka all season), selling matic, not playing bertrand, selling borini who has more goals than any of our strikers, 6 goals in 11 appearances too ffs, selling sinclair to swansea when we desperately need a all purpose winger who can cross or get past players like malouda used to do. We've now loaned kakuta, who's having a good loan spell by what it seems, why do none of our players make a breakthrough at chelsea, look at barcelona, do you see them loan players out for their breakthrough(fabregas only became in their long term plans when it was clear he wanted to leave arsenal.

Our only playmaker in CM bar lampard is on loan to swansea when we need one so badly.
    Also, borini left us in an undisclosed deal.
    Managers aren't exactly going to be thinking long term with trigger happy Abrahmovic lurking over their shoulder. Playing youngsters often costs points, not worth taking the hit to bring in young players when you won't be around when they've developed.

Man Utd and Arsenal are arguably the 2 best clubs in the country at developing youngsters. Managerial stability is essential.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louis.)
    Managers aren't exactly going to be thinking long term with trigger happy Abrahmovic lurking over their shoulder. Playing youngsters often costs points, not worth taking the hit to bring in young players when you won't be around when they've developed.

Man Utd and Arsenal are arguably the 2 best clubs in the country at developing youngsters. Managerial stability is essential.
    If that's true, then why the hell do we buy players for the reserve team? There isn't a point, might as well just keep the youth players on low wages and use them for the reserves?

ReputationRep:
    If that's true, then why the hell do we buy players for the reserve team? There isn't a point, might as well just keep the youth players on low wages and use them for the reserves?
    Maybe a lack of understanding leading to poor planning at the top? I don't know tbh, you'd have to ask Roman and whoever else is running it.

You can't expect youngsters to improve without playing games for you, and you can't expect managers to attempt to integrate many young players when there's a fair chance it'll cost him his job.

If you want to be sustainable at the top I think you need to commit to a manager for at least 3 years. Thing is the time for that was probably post Jose (when you went for Grant/Scolari), there was an established top 4 and you could afford a bad season and still coast to Champions League football. Now your best players are past it and need replacing shortly, you haven't produced the young players to replace them, you probably can't do that now without dropping out of the CL, and that only leaves another huge cash injection from Abramovic if you're going to maintain your position as one of the best clubs in the country. Whether he's willing to do that, or even can with the FPP rules, is another question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louis.)
    Maybe a lack of understanding leading to poor planning at the top? I don't know tbh, you'd have to ask Roman and whoever else is running it.

You can't expect youngsters to improve without playing games for you, and you can't expect managers to attempt to integrate many young players when there's a fair chance it'll cost him his job.

If you want to be sustainable at the top I think you need to commit to a manager for at least 3 years. Thing is the time for that was probably post Jose (when you went for Grant/Scolari), there was an established top 4 and you could afford a bad season and still coast to Champions League football. Now your best players are past it and need replacing shortly, you haven't produced the young players to replace them, you probably can't do that now without dropping out of the CL, and that only leaves another huge cash injection from Abramovic if you're going to maintain your position as one of the best clubs in the country. Whether he's willing to do that, or even can with the FPP rules, is another question.
    Maybe we just have to use the model of the top clubs that don't rely on huge money, but in all seriousness, we should be getting top 4 every season with ease, I don't agree with the past it players thing, so when drogba was scoring hattricks vs west brom and others at the start of last season and we were whipping teams like we were the year before were we past it then? Terry is still englands best defender, lampard is a midfielder that is also englands top goalscorer this season and cech has improved from how he was earlier this season now. This whole old guard argument is a bunch of bull****, essien barely plays atm so we can't judge him yet either, it's just a stupid case of strikers can't score enough despite dominating possession, the other team gets confidence and then we concede.

Had this been 2 years ago, we would whip the man city team into submission tbh, you can't go from world beaters/CL semi finalists to top 4 and just challenging for trophies and not being favourites in 2 seasons.

We should win the FA cup tbh. It's now a 3 horse race(if us and tottenham get through) we have an easy tie vs leicester while liverpool have stoke, so it will be tough and you never know they could lose.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe we just have to use the model of the top clubs that don't rely on huge money, but in all seriousness, we should be getting top 4 every season with ease, I don't agree with the past it players thing, so when drogba was scoring hattricks vs west brom and others at the start of last season and we were whipping teams like we were the year before were we past it then? Terry is still englands best defender, lampard is a midfielder that is also englands top goalscorer this season and cech has improved from how he was earlier this season now. This whole old guard argument is a bunch of bull****, essien barely plays atm so we can't judge him yet either, it's just a stupid case of strikers can't score enough despite dominating possession, the other team gets confidence and then we concede.

Had this been 2 years ago, we would whip the man city team into submission tbh, you can't go from world beaters/CL semi finalists to top 4 and just challenging for trophies and not being favourites in 2 seasons.

We should win the FA cup tbh. It's now a 3 horse race(if us and tottenham get through) we have an easy tie vs leicester while liverpool have stoke, so it will be tough and you never know they could lose.
    Okay maybe not past it but certainly past their best. Terry, Lampard and Drogba are all the wrong side of 30 and two of them have always relied on their physicality. Lampard also relied on his stamina to bridge the gap between the midfield and the striker, obviously that has suffered with age. A year and a half is a long time in football, Drogba’s now strong instead of being both quick and strong, and his finishing has never been his best attribute. He scored goals because defenders couldn’t handle his physicality, that’s becoming easier and easier to do.

Being England’s best isn’t a particularly good indicator of anything, especially with a relative lack of quality in the CB area at the moment. I think Lescott's just as good as him anyway.

Essien i'd be amazed if he reaches previous levels. Having so many serious injuries means it's impossible to keep that drive he had, and I don't think he's good enough technically to be one of the best in the league again. Cech is still good but isn’t as confident at contact situations, eg coming for a cross, since the Hunt thing.

They’re still good players, some more useful than others, but a few years ago you could rely on them to be the spine of a title challenging side and you just can’t do that anymore. Can you honestly say you’re seeing the same players you did a few years back?

Your striker position is probably the biggest issue you face right now though, agreed. Think you need to ship off Torres and Drogba, spend loads on a big name and use Lukaku as backup. And then a couple of wingers after that if you can afford it.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.