Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zxh800)
    Arsenal fan here, how did Miyaichi play against you guys?
    Did fairly well, he seems like he's going to be a talent in the future, might not want to give him the giant wages yet though, there was one good run that he did in the first half, he cutted in, passed it to tuncay on the right wing, who waited for miyachi to get into the box, tuncay cutted it back and miyachi just leaned back on the ball a bit and it went high, but he's got good dribbling, good movement, didn't really look at his delivery as bolton were terrible in the final third anyway, they barely got any chances against us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    In reality, had we won our last 2 games, which there was no point winning since united won the league already and we were always going to come second after we lost to united, we would have 76 points last season, which would be a massive difference.
    In reality you didn't. 'In hypothetical' perhaps you got 76. But even 76 points isn't a total that's going to win a league, this year there's a fair chance that both City and Utd will hit 90, if not they'll be very close.

The standard at the top is a lot higher, that's why you're not challenging.

ReputationRep:
    Ok then, if all he cared about was money, why didn't he go to real madrid last season. Mourinho bought carvalho, why not buy drogba too, this is why I hate arsenal fans tbh.

Newcastle, 4th place, they're having a great season, I'm yet to be convinced that they have what it takes for top 4, they win games against the small teams, had a good run and since then have the confidence, in terms of their side being top 4 quality, they are not, they will be in the europa league this season though, I reckon it should be a liverpool vs chelsea final for the FA cup so that makes seventh place open if one of us get the CL spots.

Anyway, spurs can always crash, Chelsea can beat them at the bridge, so if you beat them and they draw to united and we beat them, we've now closed the gap down. 3rd is easily possible with a good run. Our team is capable of a good run, we just need the consistency.

I also have the belief that we can also beat napoli and progress, an early goal for chelsea will give us belief, whoever scores first at the bridge is going through, since we haven't conceded there in the CL, I see no reason why we can't beat napoli 2-0.

I wouldn't be surprised if we did tbh. That's the sad thing about it.
    You do chat a lot of ****. From Drogba's agent:

Spoiler:
    Show
    'Didier has had the offer of a one-year extension from Chelsea. That does not suit us.', said his agent.

'We know what we want, where we want to go and what offers we have.

'At Didier's age, he has nothing left to prove as a player. He will go where he is offered the most money.

'It could be the United States, Russia, Qatar or somewhere else in Asia.

'Once you are well into your thirties you have to go to a club where you can be certain you'll be able to pay your bills.

'LA Galaxy are a possibility among many others. He has been linked with Anzhi Makhachkala in Russia, as they pay well.

'But neither Didier nor I have had an offer from them.'

Your clearly deluded if you think Chelsea can finish 3rd and it's pretty obvious that you have a strong bias towards Chelsea judging from your posts. Oh and one goal from Napoli which is likely because of their front three and Chelsea need three.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louis.)
    In reality you didn't. 'In hypothetical' perhaps you got 76. But even 76 points isn't a total that's going to win a league, this year there's a fair chance that both City and Utd will hit 90, if not they'll be very close.

The standard at the top is a lot higher, that's why you're not challenging.
    To be fair, they've had good seasons, I don't think it's just that they've improved, we've gone down, at this stage we were on that stupidly long winning streak until we faced united, so I'm convinced that had we been at the level we were at the second half of last season, we would be title challengers. Obviously we won't win the title, had we won the fixtures in december, we would be challenging for the title but those 3 draws and the villa loss basically dented our title hopes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheInvincibles14)
    You do chat a lot of ****. From Drogba's agent:

Spoiler:
    Show
    'Didier has had the offer of a one-year extension from Chelsea. That does not suit us.', said his agent.

'We know what we want, where we want to go and what offers we have.

'At Didier's age, he has nothing left to prove as a player. He will go where he is offered the most money.

'It could be the United States, Russia, Qatar or somewhere else in Asia.

'Once you are well into your thirties you have to go to a club where you can be certain you'll be able to pay your bills.

'LA Galaxy are a possibility among many others. He has been linked with Anzhi Makhachkala in Russia, as they pay well.

'But neither Didier nor I have had an offer from them.'

Your clearly deluded if you think Chelsea can finish 3rd and it's pretty obvious that you have a strong bias towards Chelsea judging from your posts. Oh and one goal from Napoli which is likely because of their front three and Chelsea need three.
    I read that earlier in the season and I think that drogba is leaving, however, drogba really wanted a 2 year extension, chelsea aren't willing to give him that, he's 33 and a two year extension isn't chelsea's policy for players who are over 30. So I'm not being biased. So read a bit more before you recite a sky sports article when the next week there's a contradiction.
    It wasn't just a money grab for drogba, also, it was his agents, balotellis agent said that he's going back to italy because of his bad treatment here :lolwut:, drogba hasn't said it yet, so why should we believe it. The agent sounds like he wants a pay day tbh.

You're the one chatting **** tbh.

Also, with napoli, chelsea haven't conceded at stamford bridge in the CL this season despite our poor form, valencia are as good as napoli in my point of view and we domed them and leverkusen at the bridge, in fact I was at stamford bridge when we beat leverkusen. Is it too far for me to say that we can win against napoli without conceding because of our home advantage and how we've done this season at home...?

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, they've had good seasons, I don't think it's just that they've improved, we've gone down, at this stage we were on that stupidly long winning streak until we faced united, so I'm convinced that had we been at the level we were at the second half of last season, we would be title challengers. Obviously we won't win the title, had we won the fixtures in december, we would be challenging for the title but those 3 draws and the villa loss basically dented our title hopes.
    You've gone down a bit but the point is that it doesn't matter who's in charge of you, reaching around 90 points is impossible for any manager given the players at his disposal.

I just think people saying AVB should be competing for the title are being completely unfair. It might be reasonable to say he should be fairly comfortable in the top 4 but then he's in 4th now, good chance of being there at the end of the weekend, and if he ends up there after 38 games he has done what should have been expected of him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louis.)
    You've gone down a bit but the point is that it doesn't matter who's in charge of you, reaching around 90 points is impossible for any manager given the players at his disposal.

I just think people saying AVB should be competing for the title are being completely unfair. It might be reasonable to say he should be fairly comfortable in the top 4 but then he's in 4th now, good chance of being there at the end of the weekend, and if he ends up there after 38 games he has done what should have been expected of him.
    The guy won a treble at porto who were 3rd the seeason before, it's not impossible, but anyway forget history, our minimum aim is top 4 and trophy challenging, which with our team we can do right?

We expected more of him this season maybe, but I guess our team wasn't ready yet and our transition won't work when lampard, essien and terry are the players who are getting the goals or leading the team on and our replacements are either loaned out or sold, with one or two becoming quality players that we needed/need at the time (sturridge at bolton, scott sinclair, josh mceachran for starters)
    We then put an inexperienced lineup against napoli and played players out of position when that was the match we actually needed their experience the most, used 3 AMs against a counter attacking team, what did you expect? We were going to get domed.

We really have the squad to do better than what we're doing, we should be above tottenham with our squad, better goalkeeper, better first team defence and better strike force, adebayor gets goals because he gets chances from a great midfield.

ReputationRep:
    I read that earlier in the season and I think that drogba is leaving, however, drogba really wanted a 2 year extension, chelsea aren't willing to give him that, he's 33 and a two year extension isn't chelsea's policy for players who are over 30. So I'm not being biased. So read a bit more before you recite a sky sports article when the next week there's a contradiction.
    It wasn't just a money grab for drogba, also, it was his agents, balotellis agent said that he's going back to italy because of his bad treatment here :lolwut:, drogba hasn't said it yet, so why should we believe it. The agent sounds like he wants a pay day tbh.

You're the one chatting **** tbh.

Also, with napoli, chelsea haven't conceded at stamford bridge in the CL this season despite our poor form, valencia are as good as napoli in my point of view and we domed them and leverkusen at the bridge, in fact I was at stamford bridge when we beat leverkusen. Is it too far for me to say that we can win against napoli without conceding because of our home advantage and how we've done this season at home...?
    I think Drogba leaving would be good for Torres and improve his confidence. You have the new Drogba in Lukaku anyway but he's one for the future and should be loaned out to somewhere like Bolton. The Napoli game will be extremely important for Chelsea, if you win it then you can push on for fourth but if you lose it'll result in another blip. You'll only really go through if you score an early goal which could happen because Napoli play with three at the back. Their front three is way too dangerous though and I doubt Terry will be back by then so Lavezzi-Cavani-Hamsik could have grab a goal or two. Oh and finally, Luiz isn't a defender. He should be played in midfield as he has an abundance of energy and has contributed with a lot of goals (a bit like Vermaelen in his first season).

ReputationRep:
    I always said that Luiz shouldn't be a defender. He makes some important errors and I think there's too much pressure for him being a defender. He should play in midfield, as he's really creative and has a lot of energy, therefore he would probably score a lot of goals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silver0)
    I always said that Luiz shouldn't be a defender. He makes some important errors and I think there's too much pressure for him being a defender. He should play in midfield, as he's really creative and has a lot of energy, therefore he would probably score a lot of goals.
    Who would play at the back then? Terry's currently out so the only option is a Ivanovic-Cahill partnership with Bosingwa at RB (who's a terrible player). Luiz would do a better job as a striker than Torres tbh!

ReputationRep:
    Who would play at the back then? Terry's currently out so the only option is a Ivanovic-Cahill partnership with Bosingwa at RB (who's a terrible player). Luiz would do a better job as a striker than Torres tbh!
    Yeah looks like we would need another defender.. and I agree that Bosingwa is terrible.
    See I still like Torres, even though he's not doing his job as a striker, he's still a good player, and I do like watching him play, he's quite energetic and does try a lot.

ReputationRep:
    I think Drogba leaving would be good for Torres and improve his confidence. You have the new Drogba in Lukaku anyway but he's one for the future and should be loaned out to somewhere like Bolton. The Napoli game will be extremely important for Chelsea, if you win it then you can push on for fourth but if you lose it'll result in another blip. You'll only really go through if you score an early goal which could happen because Napoli play with three at the back. Their front three is way too dangerous though and I doubt Terry will be back by then so Lavezzi-Cavani-Hamsik could have grab a goal or two. Oh and finally, Luiz isn't a defender. He should be played in midfield as he has an abundance of energy and has contributed with a lot of goals (a bit like Vermaelen in his first season).
    Pique and agger just destroy this argument, Luiz does well, can retain the ball very well for a defender and is calm on the ball, it's because the typical english way of defending is no nonsense and basically kicking the ball out of play rather than looking for the pass, but if you saw luiz in the first half, he was pretty good, was probably our only playmaker in the first half and used his pace like cahill did to get rid of any attacking threats, no doubt on MOTD they'll say that he shouldn't be a defender though because he's pretty flamboyant and has too much flair for a defender.

I agree with you with the napoli match, I'm just saying that it's perfectly possible for us to win the match 2-0 and it'll really go down to who scores first at the bridge who will win. I'm not too sure whether losing to napoli will result in a blip, it didn't result in a blip today, but then again we have them both to play for.

I reckon, if we beat napoli, we get 4th place and possibly get the FA cup, napoli are the toughest 2nd group qualifier besides milan so beating them could mean a route to the semi finals as well(provided we don't get the obvious 2 teams, milan or bayern in the quarter final draw) Inter are in a bigger mess than we are.

(Original post by silver0)
    Yeah looks like we would need another defender.. and I agree that Bosingwa is terrible.
    See I still like Torres, even though he's not doing his job as a striker, he's still a good player, and I do like watching him play, he's quite energetic and does try a lot.
    I dunno what happened to bosingwa, he started the season off so well and has just tailed off since. Ivanovic should not be played in the center, he's been terrible at CB, I don't think we've kept a clean sheet this season when ivanovic has played in the centre.

ReputationRep:
    Pique and agger just destroy this argument, Luiz does well, can retain the ball very well for a defender and is calm on the ball, it's because the typical english way of defending is no nonsense and basically kicking the ball out of play rather than looking for the pass, but if you saw luiz in the first half, he was pretty good, was probably our only playmaker in the first half and used his pace like cahill did to get rid of any attacking threats, no doubt on MOTD they'll say that he shouldn't be a defender though because he's pretty flamboyant and has too much flair for a defender.

I agree with you with the napoli match, I'm just saying that it's perfectly possible for us to win the match 2-0 and it'll really go down to who scores first at the bridge who will win. I'm not too sure whether losing to napoli will result in a blip, it didn't result in a blip today, but then again we have them both to play for.

I reckon, if we beat napoli, we get 4th place and possibly get the FA cup, napoli are the toughest 2nd group qualifier besides milan so beating them could mean a route to the semi finals as well(provided we don't get the obvious 2 teams, milan or bayern in the quarter final draw) Inter are in a bigger mess than we are.

I dunno what happened to bosingwa, he started the season off so well and has just tailed off since. Ivanovic should not be played in the center, he's been terrible at CB, I don't think we've kept a clean sheet this season when ivanovic has played in the centre.
    You can't use Pique and agger as comparisons, they play in teams which use a completely different style of play to Chelsea. Luiz should be used as a midfielder, because he has the ability to and to be quite honest, he's a **** defender.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jordan_1)
    You can't use Pique and agger as comparisons, they play in teams which use a completely different style of play to Chelsea. Luiz should be used as a midfielder, because he has the ability to and to be quite honest, he's a **** defender.
    I retain that he can become one of the best in the world as a defender although he would be more effective as a box to box midfielder, chelsea use short passing and high line like barcelona do although not as effective obviously, so I wouldn't say that yet about different styles of play, it's about the individual anyway.

He's not a terrible defender either and has some very good games, he does need some work on his defending and decision making that's true, but the media look on all his mistakes because he's been given that label. He's a different type of defender to what we expect as in the typical clear the ball or pass to a more advanced player, so because of that, people say he's crap. Give him time.

Then again, I might be a bit biased, but I think luiz gets too much stick just because he's a different kind of defender to what we expect in the premiership. He's been playing fairly well recently too.

ReputationRep:
    If yesterday's game proved anything it's that our midfield looks so much more balanced with Essien and Lampard. We can, to an extent, afford Luiz's cavalier runs forward when we have someone as disciplined as Essien to cover his position.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingMessi)
    If yesterday's game proved anything it's that our midfield looks so much more balanced with Essien and Lampard. We can, to an extent, afford Luiz's cavalier runs forward when we have someone as disciplined as Essien to cover his position.
    Yeah, although luiz's cavalier runs forward were more disciplined yesterday, you didn't see him at left wing like you do sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, although luiz's cavalier runs forward were more disciplined yesterday, you didn't see him at left wing like you do sometimes.
    I believe his goal came from his interception at Left wing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iRush)
    I believe his goal came from his interception at Left wing
    Do'h, missed the first goal. I watched the first half, left the room then it was 1-0 then watched the rest of the match.

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal gone ahead of us. :erm: Just as we put in a performance, so do they...

ReputationRep:
    Here I was hoping Spurs could do us a favour and keep Arsenal in 5th, then they collapse after 2 goals...

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 15, 2012
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.