Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Yes!

Drogba with his 100th goal in the Premier League, what a milestone! Legend.

ReputationRep:
    Drogba :adore: :adore: :adore:

ReputationRep:
    First African player to do so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colonel.)
    First African player to do so.
    I remember this match and by george, was that a bad dive!

Good win for us. Stoke can be tough at times.

ReputationRep:
    So, for those of you who've watched the game, was it a deserved win or would this fall into the category of 'papering over the cracks'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingMessi)
    So, for those of you who've watched the game, was it a deserved win or would this fall into the category of 'papering over the cracks'?
    A deserved win, but a poor display, they had a player sent off in the 30th minute or so, and we looked unconvincing. I don't see us beating napoli on wednesday

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hdr95)
    A deserved win, but a poor display, they had a player sent off in the 30th minute or so, and we looked unconvincing. I don't see us beating napoli on wednesday
    Okay. Yes, that does put things into context somewhat, given that we'd expect to beat Stoke at home by more than one goal. I never saw us beating Napoli, but at least we've kept two consecutive clean sheets. Small mercies.

ReputationRep:
    Okay. Yes, that does put things into context somewhat, given that we'd expect to beat Stoke at home by more than one goal. I never saw us beating Napoli, but at least we've kept two consecutive clean sheets. Small mercies.
    Deserved win but poor display as mentioned above. Atm, if we lost to Napoli I wouldn't be overly disappointed because of how our season has been. Maybe if we get knocked out we can concentrate on 4th and the FA Cup. I don't mind small 1-0 wins home or away against the Stoke's, Villa's etc as long as we get 3 points and catch Arsenal and Spurs. Small steps to the Champions League places for next season is better than getting to the quarter finals this year and loosing to Barca or Madrid but if we beat Napoli in the way Arsenal beat Milan and get through it could spur us on. Just want 4th right now, that'll be a reason to be happy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iRush)
    Deserved win but poor display as mentioned above. Atm, if we lost to Napoli I wouldn't be overly disappointed because of how our season has been. Maybe if we get knocked out we can concentrate on 4th and the FA Cup. I don't mind small 1-0 wins home or away against the Stoke's, Villa's etc as long as we get 3 points and catch Arsenal and Spurs. Small steps to the Champions League places for next season is better than getting to the quarter finals this year and loosing to Barca or Madrid but if we beat Napoli in the way Arsenal beat Milan and get through it could spur us on. Just want 4th right now, that'll be a reason to be happy.
    Given the way that our season has gone, fourth place would be a wholly satisfactory outcome. Much better to finish fourth and lose to Napoli than to beat Napoli, get knocked out in the next round and finish fifth. As you say, the FA Cup is still a distinct possibility if we raise our game enough to beat Tottenham or Everton. Fourth will allow us to attract better players and a better manager next season.

It's imperative we make a proper fist of the rebuilding task this summer.

ReputationRep:
    Tbf to us, they were the typical rough cheaters. But we played like we were battling for relegation, I watched barcelona play vs leverkusen and we look like we're in a division below them judging by todays performance, I'm not even joking. Napoli will be tough, we need an early goal to go through, otherwise we have no hope. We're not going to smash them in the second half.

ReputationRep:
    Given the way that our season has gone, fourth place would be a wholly satisfactory outcome. Much better to finish fourth and lose to Napoli than to beat Napoli, get knocked out in the next round and finish fifth. As you say, the FA Cup is still a distinct possibility if we raise our game enough to beat Tottenham or Everton. Fourth will allow us to attract better players and a better manager next season.

It's imperative we make a proper fist of the rebuilding task this summer.
    Tbh, we have no problem with this tbh. Our money will be enough to get them, we're just having a poor season by our standards, arsenal haven't improved, tottenham have improved but I still think we're better than them tbh, only city and united are better than us and united are better than us because of alex ferguson. I reckon with enough rebuilding in the summer, we could challenge for the title, call me a bit deluded, but just go to italy and you'll see why with juventus. They made quite a few signings in the summer(vidal, elia, barzaghli, lichsteiner) and are unbeaten this season.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Tbf to us, they were the typical rough cheaters. But we played like we were battling for relegation, I watched barcelona play vs leverkusen and we look like we're in a division below them judging by todays performance, I'm not even joking. Napoli will be tough, we need an early goal to go through, otherwise we have no hope. We're not going to smash them in the second half.
    If current form chelsea play Barcelona this season the leverkusen aggregate will look like child's play.
    Leverkusen had just beat Bayern Munich the weekend before the barca game.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by facdroit)
    If current form chelsea play Barcelona this season the leverkusen aggregate will look like child's play.
    Leverkusen had just beat Bayern Munich the weekend before the barca game.
    As defiant as I was against this, messi will absolutely rape gary cahill. Although leverkusen made it harder for themselves with the narrow defending, they tried to stop messi by defending narrow, messi just used this to his advantage and it gave tello miles of space to do his thing in the second half.

I think munich are a bit overrated, they've bottled the league again this season despite their team being better than everyone elses.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh, we have no problem with this tbh. Our money will be enough to get them, we're just having a poor season by our standards, arsenal haven't improved, tottenham have improved but I still think we're better than them tbh, only city and united are better than us and united are better than us because of alex ferguson. I reckon with enough rebuilding in the summer, we could challenge for the title, call me a bit deluded, but just go to italy and you'll see why with juventus. They made quite a few signings in the summer(vidal, elia, barzaghli, lichsteiner) and are unbeaten this season.
    I don't think there's any delusion there. However, the hypothetical scenario is easier said than done as we haven't done a proper rebuilding job since Mourinho came, or, even, one could argue, Abramovich came. I think Tottenham's team rivals ours and their squad is ever-improving, but two improvements at right back and in holding midfield and our team would be better. A properly thought-out, well-executed rehash of our squad would catapult us above them.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there's any delusion there. However, the hypothetical scenario is easier said than done as we haven't done a proper rebuilding job since Mourinho came, or, even, one could argue, Abramovich came. I think Tottenham's team rivals ours and their squad is ever-improving, but two improvements at right back and in holding midfield and our team would be better. A properly thought-out, well-executed rehash of our squad would catapult us above them.
    Right back, david luiz and ivanovic are fine tbh.

Holding midfield we have romeu who will only improve.

In terms of an overhaul, we need a star player, a player who can drag us through hard times, we've never had this, drogba maybe, but in 2010, everyone helped out, we've always been the all rounder team with everyone at the same level, so when all our players decline, no one is there to actually be the star player and all our players are now not good enough to carry each other, look at inter too. Same story there.

United have vidic and rooney, City have kompany, toure and silva. Tottenham have bale and modric, arsenal have van persie while liverpool have suarez.

Who do we have in that mould? Mata maybe. Ramires has been our best player, but he isn't that kind of player that will just win you 3 points on his own, just like lucas at liverpool. Would have said the same for parker, but he almost kept west ham up for 2 seasons in a row.

ReputationRep:
    Right back, david luiz and ivanovic are fine tbh.

Holding midfield we have romeu who will only improve.

In terms of an overhaul, we need a star player, a player who can drag us through hard times, we've never had this, drogba maybe, but in 2010, everyone helped out, we've always been the all rounder team with everyone at the same level, so when all our players decline, no one is there to actually be the star player and all our players are now not good enough to carry each other, look at inter too. Same story there.

United have vidic and rooney, City have kompany, toure and silva. Tottenham have bale and modric, arsenal have van persie while liverpool have suarez.

Who do we have in that mould? Mata maybe. Ramires has been our best player, but he isn't that kind of player that will just win you 3 points on his own, just like lucas at liverpool. Would have said the same for parker, but he almost kept west ham up for 2 seasons in a row.
    Chelsea need to sign a right back a CREATIVE midfielder and a striker forget Torres he's not going to light the world ablaze next season by scoring 30 goals I can assure you of that and THAT is what Chelsea needs. Mata has always been playing on the left. Playing him behind Torres/Drogba hasn't worked and will not work, let the guy do his magic on the left.

Targets for Chelsea this summer: Hulk,Cavani,Gomez,RvP in the striker department
    Van der Wiel,Montoya,Arbeola at right back
    Hamsik,Eriksen,Ganso as attacking midfielders

I know you haven't been linked with all of these players but any combo of the above will really take Chelsea to the next level and wouldn't cost you more than 100 million, factor in all the dead weight you will sell and this could be doable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by facdroit)
    Chelsea need to sign a right back a CREATIVE midfielder and a striker forget Torres he's not going to light the world ablaze next season by scoring 30 goals I can assure you of that and THAT is what Chelsea needs. Mata has always been playing on the left. Playing him behind Torres/Drogba hasn't worked and will not work, let the guy do his magic on the left.

Targets for Chelsea this summer: Hulk,Cavani,Gomez,RvP in the striker department
    Van der Wiel,Montoya,Arbeola at right back
    Hamsik,Eriksen,Ganso as attacking midfielders

I know you haven't been linked with all of these players but any combo of the above will really take Chelsea to the next level and wouldn't cost you more than 100 million, factor in all the dead weight you will sell and this could be doable.
    Hamsik will cost too much, Eriksen said he wants to go to roma, unless we put in a big money offer. Ganso could flop nicely, has only been playing in brazil so you don't know how he'll be.

Montoya, forget him, he's long term replacement for dani alves so barca will not sell. I think azpilcueta is the best option. Ivanovic is seriously underrated on the right though, bosingwa needs to go though and we rotate ivan with azpilcueta.

In terms of the striker department, we MUST sell drogba first, he'll be out of contract so that'll sort out the problems. We either give lukaku more game time and rotate with torres (RISKY) or like you said, get hulk or cavani, we also have sturridge so we could get hulk as a winger playing to sturridge.

Mata works best behind the striker. He isn't the type to hug touchlines and get a cross in like gareth bale, he's more of an inside forward playmaker, which is harder to do when you're left footed playing on the left side, that's why barca used villa at left wing and pedro at right wing last season.

ReputationRep:
    Hamsik will cost too much, Eriksen said he wants to go to roma, unless we put in a big money offer. Ganso could flop nicely, has only been playing in brazil so you don't know how he'll be.

Montoya, forget him, he's long term replacement for dani alves so barca will not sell. I think azpilcueta is the best option. Ivanovic is seriously underrated on the right though, bosingwa needs to go though and we rotate ivan with azpilcueta.

In terms of the striker department, we MUST sell drogba first, he'll be out of contract so that'll sort out the problems. We either give lukaku more game time and rotate with torres (RISKY) or like you said, get hulk or cavani, we also have sturridge so we could get hulk as a winger playing to sturridge.

Mata works best behind the striker. He isn't the type to hug touchlines and get a cross in like gareth bale, he's more of an inside forward playmaker, which is harder to do when you're left footed playing on the left side, that's why barca used villa at left wing and pedro at right wing last season.
    http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...19l577l6.1l7l0

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah, forgot about him being both footed, in fifa it says he's left footed, but he takes his penalties with his right foot in real life. But then he's a special case then, and he can still work as an inside forward on the left and on the right then. David villa is pretty ambidextrous too. His goal in the world cup with his left foot, despite being an open goal, he has a lot of technique in his left foot too. They are special cases, but look at barcelona, they're not the type to whip in big crosses, they're better playing inside and allowing alves to bomb the right wing, so point still stands.

ReputationRep:
    We already have a creative player in the likes of Mata, it's just he's being played out of position.

What we need is a left-winger and a striker to replace Drogba.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.