This discussion is closed.
Ollie87
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by OMGWTF)
Err how. I didn't even get onto right junctions on my first lesson
I'd parked at a strange angle in the residential road I was in because another car came along and I panicked, pulling up almost perpendicular to the pavement. When I tried to get the car moving again, it shot up onto the pavement and jerked forward twice. I really don't know what I'm doing .
Mad Vlad
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
OMG!

My driving instructor is pretty mad. My third week of lesson (Really, my second 'driving' one) and we're in the middle of a town centre, with me in the drivers seat. Next thing I know, we're driving straight towards my house and I realize that I have been in the drivers seat all the way from the industrial estate (A good 10 minutes drive) back to my house!)

Anyway, I'm having some real problems controlling my car. The instructor going "Do this, change gear now, not so hard!" etc really gets annoying, and puts me off more than it helps.

Tell him to shut up.

How do I keep a 'straight' line when driving? The instructor keeps nagging me as I keep going towards the side of the pavement, but I cannot seem to not go towards it! "Keep looking straight ahead and your hands will follow etc"...Great, until I have to change gear and then my concentration instantly thinks of where the gear stick is going, as I am finding it difficult to remember how to do it smoothly, and sometimes end up looking down at it while not meaning to.

Practice makes perfect. With the gears, sit in someones car with the engine off with a qualified driver giving you some helpful instruction and just practice doing "gear pyramids" (summat ive just thought of)
you do... (using the clutch pedal)
Neutral
1st
2nd
1st
2nd
3rd
2nd
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
3rd
2nd
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
5th
4th
3rd
2nd
1st
etc... then as you get more proficient, get your helper to shout out a gear to change to and quickly change to it. That'll improve your gear work in no time and hopefully thus your lane discipline.

Also, what is the correct routine for coming to a stop at traffic lights? I've forgotten totally and struggled today, is it clutch first, brake second or vice versa swimming through my head and the instuctor is instructing me all the time, it conflicts with what my brain is thinking and I end up getting confused!

Brakes and stay in gear until the car begins to stall - ie that jerky sort of thing it does, THEN put the clutch in and select an appropriate gear/neutral.

How are you supposed to see if you need to give way to anything with all the traffic on the road? That also caused panic for me, as he basically asks on the spot 'Do you need to give way to anything' and I kind of (but not entirely) guessed 'No' which did turn out to be the correct response at that moment.

This comes with practice too. Awareness of the road around you. You need to give way to people from the right on a roundabout, anywhere where there's a junction from a minor to a major road, anywhere theres a Give Way sign/STOP sign etc. and many more occasions too. Read the highway code and study different types of junctions for a more comprehensive overview

Finally, what are you meant to do RE speed limits? The instructor kept saying about reducing the speed then 'putting the gas back down again', I was trying to look at my meter and in a 30 zone the line on my meter was above the 30 marker!

Slow down to the stated speed limit before you enter the zone using the brake then once you have slowed down, switch back to the accelerator to maintain your speed but not exceed the limit

I'm getting really confused, and need to get it in my head somehow otherwise I'm never going to progress much further into the learning!

Why can't they have thought of automatic cars in the first place, rather than have manual and automatic

Because manuals are cheaper, and far better than automatics. Besides, learn in a manual and you'll have the sense of achievement that youve mastered the more difficult option. Stick with it. You just need practice.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (142)
45.81%
Pro-humanity (168)
54.19%

Watched Threads