The Student Room Group

Relationships without sex

I've had a look at some of the threads on here and I might be older than most people here but I don't remember behaving the way most people here do, when I was in high school.

When I was 15 or 16, I wouldn't have even imagined trying to do something sexual with a girlfriend I'd been with for just a couple of weeks or a month or two (well I might have imagined but certainly not tried).

Most of my early "relationships" were just about kissing and holding hands and even that was nerve-wracking enough.

Here it seems that a lot of people felt that as soon as they had their first boyfriend/girlfriend, they had to do something sexual, otherwise they'd be seen as uptight, almost as if it's expected. I'm being a bit nostalgic here but I think that there's a period in youth where going out with someone should be about learning how to have a relationship, not about what's the first physical thing you can do.

Scroll to see replies

Stciky, where are you from? it's just some countries have different values and social "norms" when it comes to sex

plus the legal age is 16 here, seeing it from that angle it's something the law deems you respnsible enough to do, so you feel ready to do it.
I lost my virginity to my first boyfriend, and we were only together a month or so, but teh fact is i wanted to, i wanted to experience sex. As simple as that. I figured why wait when i can do it now? And as i found sex wasn't all it's built up to be. But then i met my ex, and we were togetehr 18 months and i loved him, so sex with im was totally different. and i waited longer that time around. The same goes for my current boyf. I mean i didn't not want to have sex (my that pringles add rings true..."once you pop you just can't stop)

Had i had a boyfriend before i was 16 no i don't think i would have rushed into anything, but when i look back i don't regret any of my decsions.
Reply 2
If there is mutual consent, then I dont see any problem. No one should be pressured in to having sex, especially by someone who cares about them.
Reply 3
xXMessedUpXx
Stciky, where are you from? it's just some countries have different values and social "norms" when it comes to sex

plus the legal age is 16 here, seeing it from that angle it's something the law deems you respnsible enough to do, so you feel ready to do it.
I lost my virginity to my first boyfriend, and we were only together a month or so, but teh fact is i wanted to, i wanted to experience sex. As simple as that. I figured why wait when i can do it now? And as i found sex wasn't all it's built up to be. But then i met my ex, and we were togetehr 18 months and i loved him, so sex with im was totally different. and i waited longer that time around. The same goes for my current boyf. I mean i didn't not want to have sex (my that pringles add rings true..."once you pop you just can't stop)

Had i had a boyfriend before i was 16 no i don't think i would have rushed into anything, but when i look back i don't regret any of my decsions.

I'm British, Christian, not particularly religious and I'd like to point out the legal age might be 16 but my 16, most people have not lost their virginity.
I think you replied to my thread because you recognise yourself in it.
It seems like you were more interested in experiencing sex than actually learning to have a relationship. Fair enough. It's just I saw sex as a bigger deal than that: I used to think that it would be with someone special, not simply my first girlfriend because I HAD to try sex as soon as possible.
Reply 4
DeLboY
If there is mutual consent, then I dont see any problem. No one should be pressured in to having sex, especially by someone who cares about them.

Who knows, if you expose 12 years old to more sex through media, then maybe you'd have more 12 years old wanting to experience it so I guess then a horny 12 year old guy would be able to find a like-minded girl. Would it be right? I'm not sure...
i learnt from that relationship.

Like i've learnt from my last. I took many things from that. It was not just about sex. Although sex in itself is a learning curve. And the best way to learn is through experieince. Just beacuse teh first time i had sex with my ex, someone i loved, was actually my third time of having sex, it didn't make it anyless special. It was like the first time all over again. It felt different, and in a way i was glad to have already ahve experieinced it, beacsue it made me feel more confident in latter relations.
Reply 6
Romance is dead :frown:
SamTheMan
Romance is dead :frown:

no it's very much alive...

we go on dates all the time, its nice to ahve thoses days where you just hang out, go to see a film or go shopping etc. sex is an afterthought nowadays
Reply 8
xXMessedUpXx
no it's very much alive...

we go on dates all the time, its nice to ahve thoses days where you just hang out, go to see a film or go shopping etc. sex is an afterthought nowadays

I've read this thread and it's depressed me :frown:

I was thinking about that the other day: out of the number of people who get together, how many are in love or have strong feelings for eachother? A small few... These days, it seems people just find it easier to just sleep around than look for that special someone. People just have shagbuddies instead of a boyfriend/girlfriend but still think that that way, they still have a chance of finding someone special. How disillusioned can one get. Indeed, romance is dead.
Reply 9
SamTheMan

I was thinking about that the other day: out of the number of people who get together, how many are in love or have strong feelings for eachother? A small few... These days, it seems people just find it easier to just sleep around than look for that special someone. People just have shagbuddies instead of a boyfriend/girlfriend but still think that that way, they still have a chance of finding someone special. How disillusioned can one get. Indeed, romance is dead.

It has been like that for all time, you simply could not speak about it loud in the old days. Romance is something special, and it has always been. Its not dead, but that does not mean it will come easy either.
Reply 10
I still beleive in romance, thats why i refused to do things because everyone else is. If its not the right time for me it simply isnt going to happen. I just wish other people shared the same beliefs as i do.
SamTheMan

in my honest opnion if i never sleep with another pesron excepting my current boyf again, i will be happy. If i am never with another person i will be happy.

:smile:
Glory
I still beleive in romance, thats why i refused to do things because everyone else is. If its not the right time for me it simply isnt going to happen. I just wish other people shared the same beliefs as i do.

Same here... I had a few girlfriends when I was 14,15,16,17, and I would never have considered sleeping with them considering how long I spent with them: at most a couple of months. It just wouldn't have felt right, even though I was quite eager to experiment. I even had girls throw themselves at me and I decided I didn't want to... Some of my friends used to think I was nuts.
Reply 13
A relationship without sex is just friendship.
Ellie4

Not when you're still a kid.
Reply 15
Ellie4

No sex doesn't mean no heavy petting or gropage :wink: Tell me THAT'S friendship :eek:
Reply 16
SamTheMan
Not when you're still a kid.

Kids don't have relationships.
Reply 17
Not everyone on here is a slut like me. I agree some people do seem to sleep together quickly, and it's a bit ming. I think in my next relationship I will try and wait longer than I normally do, just because I want something more long-term, I think.
Ellie4

I disagree. Otherwise, is a sex friend a boyfriend or just a friend?
Ellie4
Kids don't have relationships.

Of course they do. A relationship is just something between two people. Nothing to do with sex.

I disagree. Otherwise, is a sex friend a boyfriend or just a friend?

That's why it's wise not to screw around with emotions...

Latest

Trending

Trending