sparkles28
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Im doing OCR A2 history coursework on Vietnam and the question is 'Assess the view that the Vietnam war was a pointless, costly failure.'
My teacher says we will have to read lots if we want a good grade.
Does anyone know any books which would be worth looking at?
Any help would be appresiated. Thanks!!
AliciaJ703
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by sparkles28)
'Assess the view that the Vietnam war was a pointless, costly failure.'
  • Military power creates temptation: The excess military power of the US led the nation to become tempted into using its military power in a situation that was peripheral to the national interest
  • The US should have approached the situation in Vietnam by using diplomacy or even assisting with the reunification of the North and South Vietnam
  • Many U.S. soldiers who participated in the Vietnam War were draftees instead of an all – volunteer military
  • By the mid – 1960s, Americans began to realize that the direction of the war offered little chance of victory and carried a heavy cost in lives and economics
  • The Vietnam War cost an estimated $347 billion dollars compared to the Revolutionary War ($1 billion), US Civil War ($44 billion), WWI ($197 billion), Korean War ($264 billion) and Persian Gulf War ($61 billion)
  • Escalating the war by invading North Vietnam might have brought about China’s involvement and increased the cost substantially
  • The Vietnam War led to deep social divisions within the US – in 1970, four students at Kent State University were killed by the Ohio National Guard during an antiwar demonstration
  • The unpopular war in Vietnam (which the US Congress had authorized) led to the enactment of the War Powers Resolution (WPR, 1973) to try to rein in the president’s self – claimed war power
  • By 1969, American troops began to withdraw from Vietnam and all troops were gone by 1973
  • Ultimately, Vietnam was reunited under Hanoi’s control in 1975
  • Vietnam increased American (citizens) resistance to the cold war urge to fight communism everywhere
  • Americans saw more clearly that the bipolar system was coming to an end, especially, as relations between the USSR and China were deteriorating

Source: International Politics on the World Stage by John T. Rourke
I hope this helps
sparkles28
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
thankyou very much xxx
AliciaJ703
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
thankyou very much xxx
You're welcome. Good luck.
jawain04
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
thankyou very much xxx
how did ur essay go? i have the same one now - any hints, tips etc. would be greatly appreciated

cheers
tobes1234
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I am also doing this one.. thought it would be a piece of cake, guess A2 history was never going to be anyway. Anyone have any good books.. I have one Vietnam the necessary war, that has some good info in it- Michael Lind is the author.
(Tom)
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey, there are some pretty good essays that people have uploaded on TSR here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/lear...ce%5B%5D=essay
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

New lockdown - Do you agree schools and universities should remain open?

Yes (41)
36.61%
No (57)
50.89%
I don't know (14)
12.5%

Watched Threads