The Student Room Group

Russians

Welcome to the homepage of the Russian Society! #russia#

Read on for discussions about the image of Russian girls, Russian guys, about Russian education and racism in Russia as well as other topics. We welcome anyone who speaks/studies Russian or is interested in Russia. And of course we welcome Russians from all over the world! :biggrin:

The leaders of the society are tanusha-tomsk and abrp :cool: . If you'd like to join, go to the societies list page 10 and find The Russian Society. We'll accept your request.

See you around! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Are we the only ones on the site?
Reply 2
I didn't know Russia had the internet.
Reply 3
Ivan skol'ko tebe let'?

Eugene.
Reply 4
SlyPie
I didn't know Russia had the internet.

Once again the crap American humour is shown.

Eugene.
Reply 5
EugeneD
Once again the crap American humour is shown.

Eugene.

Humor? I was just making a sincere statement.
Reply 6
SlyPie
Humor? I was just making a sincere statement.

Just shows that Americans don't know much.

Eugene.
Reply 7
EugeneD
Just shows that Americans don't know much.

Eugene.

Just shows that Russians don't understand sarcasm.

Kristin.
Reply 8
мне 18. а ты откуда?
Reply 9
интересней не от куда, а куда..
Reply 10
Ooh I'm Russian. Except I've lived in England since I was three and am not very good at Russian :frown:

Just shows that Russians don't understand sarcasm.

Or just that Americans aren't particularly good at sarcasm/wit? :wink:
Reply 11
Yay... Russians! I was born in St. Petersburg but my family moved to California about 12 years ago.
Reply 12
elo!...ive got a few russian frnds...and am currently trying to learn russian from my mate's mum but im not getting anywhere :'(
Reply 13
Hello Russians!! My name is Nic and Im an american, but I have travelled all over and I can honestly say that Russia is my favorite country. I love the Russian authors and even dropped out of Uni to live in work in Russia for a few months. I have taken a year of Russian at uni, but I cant remember where the keys are on my keyboard.... it would take me forever to type something.

I plan on attending Uni in either St Petes or Moscow next fall (2006) any reccomendations? Moscow is supposed to be a better Uni, but St Petes is one of the oldest in Russia....
i thought NDGAARONDI was russian :redface:
Reply 15
Kondar
Hello Russians!! My name is Nic and Im an american, but I have travelled all over and I can honestly say that Russia is my favorite country. I love the Russian authors and even dropped out of Uni to live in work in Russia for a few months. I have taken a year of Russian at uni, but I cant remember where the keys are on my keyboard.... it would take me forever to type something.

I plan on attending Uni in either St Petes or Moscow next fall (2006) any reccomendations? Moscow is supposed to be a better Uni, but St Petes is one of the oldest in Russia....

Go to St. Petersburg! You would be living in one of the most beautiful cities in the world! Since you've been there you already know that, but I though I'd remind you :wink: :p: . I have to say that it's pretty rare to meet someone like you, I have friends who travel, but they wouldn't step one foot into Russia, forget about living there.
Reply 16
Ooh I'm Russian. Except I've lived in England since I was three and am not very good at Russian

Snap (except for since 4)

Yay... Russians! I was born in St. Petersburg

Snap again!
Reply 17
dejavu1585
Go to St. Petersburg! You would be living in one of the most beautiful cities in the world! Since you've been there you already know that, but I though I'd remind you :wink: :p: . I have to say that it's pretty rare to meet someone like you, I have friends who travel, but they wouldn't step one foot into Russia, forget about living there.
What made me really want to go to Russia was the novel Anna Karinina. Just hearing Tolstoy describe the country and the customs was very tempting to me. Most of my favourite novels are Russian and I like the fact that the country is so large and you can hop on a train and step back in time. The people were great, the girls were hot, I liked the culture- it was something that I, as an American, could relate too. I lived in china for a year and thought that the two cultures were night and day. But the people of Russia and American actually have a lot in common.

Cant decide about Uni, St Petes is a beautiful city, but its gonna get SOO cold. Not sure I can handle those Russian winters Ive read about. PLus Moscow just seems more... Russian to me.
Reply 18
I lived in china for a year and thought that the two cultures were night and day. But the people of Russia and American actually have a lot in common.

Can you elaborate? I've only been to Beijing, and Mocow (for a day) - and i agree that they are very similar, but I cant imagine how Russia is in anyway similar to America.

Oh and i think you should go to St Petersburg, because well I was born there and you have the Hermitage! Oh and my friend (who went to both) prefered St Petersburg.
Reply 19
Hmm, difficult to explain, mostly the attitudes of the people. For instance, if you were to lock up a bunch of people of different nationalities in the same room (assuming everyone could communicate) the Russian and the American would probably hit it off.

Both Russians and Americas were somewhat nationlistic, both had pride for their countries, but both could easily list countless faults. Both generally distrust political leaders. Both into sports such as football and basketball, both into drinking and having fun. Both Russian and American traditional culture (such as movies, music, etc.. ) are pretty similiar. Both consider their country to be a world leader and although Russia has slipped a bit, both realize the importance their countries have played in a global sense.

In China, Chinese people are .. pretty much all brainwashed. They refuse to admit that China has even a single fault. They refer to the Tianamen Massacre as a 'sweeping victory against the counter revolutionaries' they want to anhialate Taiwan, they think everyone is plotting against China. Chinese people are very racist- they are completely open about it. They talk about how they hate Japan, and how they hate Taiwan, and how they cant possibly understand why Tibetans ressent them, seeing as thier lives are so much better now that China conquered them. They are into ping pong and badmitton, they mostly dont drink, they are completely obssesive about 'losing face' (looking bad). They are relativley shy and dont open up too much.

Ive travelled to and spent a decent amount of time in dozens of countries and I honestly feel that Americans and Russians are very very similair.

Does this help at all? By the way, I actually liked China a lot and made many good friends there, dont want to appear that I was going off on them. But what I said is true. The sad thing is that it is almost universal for people who actually live in China and have not had a chance to make it out.

Quick Reply