Turn on thread page Beta

Russians watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abrp)
    ooh you know Russian as well:p: (ps to say disprespect is ingrained seems a bit stupid imo..it all depends on the person..a dumbass is going to be disrespectfull to women in any country..an intelligent cultured person will be respectfull)

dont worry Lexy86..if we ever meet ill be very respectfull..always am

but i have to admit..the amount of swearing in Russia is incredible...i hate it..people swear for no apparent reason..thats why im not friends with most of the Russians @ my school..something goes wrong and they go: "ah ti ebanui v rot pedorov cyken cyn blyadi poganya chtob ti zdoxla xyu"..

and many more..it really is revolting

ps Lexy what exactly which side was winning the debate?
    Except that the police in Russia routinely ignore complaints about domestic violence, and physical and mental abuse against women is still viewed as being acceptable in many parts of Russia (especially in the villages). There are entire villages in Siberia and the Far East where nearly every man is an alcoholic, and everyone knows what alcoholism leads to (and if you don't believe that, remember that 40,000 Russians die each year from alcohol poisoning).

And yes the insults and lack of manners are very annoying as well. There are better ways of letting people know your dislike for them than by cursing them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abrp)
    ooh you know Russian as well:p: (ps to say disprespect is ingrained seems a bit stupid imo..it all depends on the person..a dumbass is going to be disrespectfull to women in any country..an intelligent cultured person will be respectfull)

dont worry Lexy86..if we ever meet ill be very respectfull..always am

but i have to admit..the amount of swearing in Russia is incredible...i hate it..people swear for no apparent reason..thats why im not friends with most of the Russians @ my school..something goes wrong and they go: "ah ti ebanui v rot pedorov cyken cyn blyadi poganya chtob ti zdoxla xyu"..

and many more..it really is revolting

ps Lexy what exactly which side was winning the debate?
    Seriously though, it's like no one even cares about how they treat people, even complete strangers who've never done them any harm (and whoever takes the Internet that seriously these days needs a reality check AND a life, honestly). I'm sorry, I didn't catch your name, abrp, but see, that's the beauty of pluralism being welcomed - you & I can argue (quite heatedly :p: ) about all sorts of different things, but when it comes down to it, I don't see anyone as being inferior to me or worthy of that kind of treatment, and I respect your opinion and your right to it. I may never change your opinion and you may never change mine, but it's all done in good humour, right? Right

An interesting comment on Russian swear words, though... Why does "хуёво" mean "bad", but "охуенно" - "good"? I doubt even the best Russian linguists can figure out all of these (supposedly Tatar in origin, by the way :confused: ) words, their various connotations and where they came from.

ReputationRep:
    i guess its the same as how Engish people go "oh ****"..which is is generally related to something going bad..but at the same time go : "****ing awesome"..

ps my name is Anton.

and what were we arguing about? i thought we were just discussing things

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    Except that the police in Russia routinely ignore complaints about domestic violence, and physical and mental abuse against women is still viewed as being acceptable in many parts of Russia (especially in the villages). There are entire villages in Siberia and the Far East where nearly every man is an alcoholic, and everyone knows what alcoholism leads to (and if you don't believe that, remember that 40,000 Russians die each year from alcohol poisoning).

And yes the insults and lack of manners are very annoying as well. There are better ways of letting people know your dislike for them than by cursing them.
    yea but they also ignore/participate in racial attacks. but to say that Racism is a widely accepted and ingrained view point of the Russian people is nonsense. the Police is not a represntation of a nations populations view point.

and 40,000 die because they drink Samagon (self made vodka)because they cant afford "the good stuff"

ReputationRep:
    vodka in russia is soooo cheap. does even get taxed?

ReputationRep:
    everything does.

and thats a relative way of thinking newbie17. its expensive for others. thats why they homebrew vodka and die.

ReputationRep:
    yer i know it is expensive for some. i hate vodka though.

ReputationRep:
    so do i.

i dont drink.

my friends do.

the fact that they are extremly rich and regularly gets wasted makes it worse for them. i feel sorry for them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pogel17)
    Lol!

This kind of cultural problem caused me an amazing amount of trouble with girls (one girl in particularl)! Dont regret any of it though. Classic quote by one of my friend's 'хозяин' when my friend was speaking to him about my relationship troubles - "You dont know what Russian girls are like... That's completely normal for Russian girls."

Just to add to the reminiscences about Tomsk, 'киномир' is a fantastic cinema - especially the 'VIP зал' and i have never been to a Russian city with more shops than Tomsk! I hope to go back when i go back out to Russia at the end of February.
    Ah no but it's different when you mean it in a romantic way :p: It would be much much harder to get these words out! We are much less obvious then, generally. Why problems?

I know, how cool are the sofas in the cinema? And it's not that expensive. I remember going for the first time (I was about 13), me and my 3 friends lying on 2 sofas, felt so privileged! It was a dinosaur (sp?) cartoon lol!

I like the Largernij Sad the best - when you just stand there and stare at this endless sky and snowy (or green!) fields ahead of you... Love that. We used to go there every single day in May, waiting to see the ice break so that these huge ice blocks would be floating and crashing together Oh sweet memories...

I've got a question for you (don't be scared when you read it lol!). If you were to fall in love with a Russian girl and you thought she was the one, do you think you'd agree to go back to Siberia with her? Just wondering if I shouldn't block out all the English guys...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abrp)
    so do i.

i dont drink.

my friends do.

the fact that they are extremly rich and regularly gets wasted makes it worse for them. i feel sorry for them.
    I don't drink either Most of my friends drink no more than a glass of champagne if there is an occasion. They work too hard to get drunk regularly :p:

Didn't you mention that you didn't go to school in Russia? Were you born in the UK then, or did you come at a young age? It's nice that you know so much about Russia and feel so patriotic, yay to your parents

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanusha-tomsk)
    I've got a question for you (don't be scared when you read it lol!). If you were to fall in love with a Russian girl and you thought she was the one, do you think you'd agree to go back to Siberia with her? Just wondering if I shouldn't block out all the English guys...
    Lol!!!

That is the most amazing question you could ask me right now. How did you know?!

The answer is - i have fallen in love with a girl from Siberia, i told her and the reason i am going back to Siberia is because of her. But.... She recently told me that she only wants to be friends with me. Even after we told each other that we love each other! I was gutted. I am still going back there though.

Oh you Russian girls. Why are you so complicated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abrp)
    yea but they also ignore/participate in racial attacks. but to say that Racism is a widely accepted and ingrained view point of the Russian people is nonsense. the Police is not a represntation of a nations populations view point.

and 40,000 die because they drink Samagon (self made vodka)because they cant afford "the good stuff"
    Hah, get 10 dark-skinned people to spend a month in St. Petersburg, and we'll see how many of them will survive the month without getting verbally or physically assaulted.

I know what that is and have lived in a town where most of the population was involved in its making/trade, and the fact that people are willing to gamble their life just to get drunk speaks volumes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanusha-tomsk)
    I don't drink either Most of my friends drink no more than a glass of champagne if there is an occasion. They work too hard to get drunk regularly :p:

Didn't you mention that you didn't go to school in Russia? Were you born in the UK then, or did you come at a young age? It's nice that you know so much about Russia and feel so patriotic, yay to your parents
    i wasnt born in Russia..i was born in Leningrad, USSR!

and i think not sure..i might have gone to like russian kindergarten before my family went to America (my dad was General Manager of first joint venture Russian-American firm and he was sent on "training" to Florida (he rejected California)) where we stayed till i was about 4-5 i think going to kindergarden there as well..before we finally decided to go to UK instead (they had office for him there to) since it was much closer to Russia (which we regularly visited). After several years in UK he sold the company and mum convinced him to have me stay in UK to study since it would be safer etc. so thats how i ended up here .

obviously we still went back to Russia several times a year (expensive stuff btw ) and still do..just i never actually went to proper Russian school. i went to a School for Russians in London but it was v.slow paced..i was by far the smartest student in my group (not being boastfull or anything) and i actually ended up studying with the ppl who were like 3-4 years older than me (studying russian history, literature and maths).

took GCSE and AS (now doing A2). :p:

ReputationRep:
    Hah, get 10 dark-skinned people to spend a month in St. Petersburg, and we'll see how many of them will survive the month without getting verbally or physically assaulted.

I know what that is and have lived in a town where most of the population was involved in its making/trade, and the fact that people are willing to gamble their life just to get drunk speaks volumes.
    yea but they "wont survive" not because the population hate them..but because St. Petersburg (last i heard) is the centre for all neo-nazi activity in Russia (dunno ..might be ahead of Moscow) and therefore they will be roaming the streets searching for Dark Skinned ppl..the videos from Format88, although seemingly a bit fake, are quite true to reality imo. im always a bit scared when i go outside of our cottage complex with a v.beautifull d.skinned girl i know whos my neighbour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abrp)
    yea but they "wont survive" not because the population hate them..but because St. Petersburg (last i heard) is the centre for all neo-nazi activity in Russia (dunno ..might be ahead of Moscow) and therefore they will be roaming the streets searching for Dark Skinned ppl..the videos from Format88, although seemingly a bit fake, are quite true to reality imo. im always a bit scared when i go outside of our cottage complex with a v.beautifull d.skinned girl i know whos my neighbour.
    And does Russian society not tolerate these skinheads? Where's the outrage at the constant attacks against Tajiks and people from the Caucasus? Is there not overt discrimination against Georgians right now? Does the UK government openly discriminate against people from any nation it has bad relations with? If the UK doesn't, why does Russia?

ReputationRep:
    And does Russian society not tolerate these skinheads? Where's the outrage at the constant attacks against Tajiks and people from the Caucasus? Is there not overt discrimination against Georgians right now? Does the UK government openly discriminate against people from any nation it has bad relations with? If the UK doesn't, why does Russia?
    they are not being outraged by skinhead actions because they are more outraged by the acts commited by people like Tajiks etc against the Russian population (eg drug selling, stories of them kidnapping russian women) which is regularly shown on the news (whether this is a space for you to go "GOVERMENT PROPOGANDA FOO!" is upto you).

and why should Russians be friendly towards Georgia? they are basically spitting in Russias face..what do you expect the average Russia person to say? something like this:

"oh come on now luv..they only want to join nato..and they hate us..and they send us **** wine and mineral water of bad quality which no one even their beloved america wants to buy..and they are trying to instigate international incidents..but oh well..we are a kind and forgiving ppl.."tryapki" to an extent even..lets give them financial aid".

:confused:

and what overt discrimination against georgians? when i was last in georgia i didnt notice any /participate in any.

ReputationRep:
    So the Georgians who live in Russia should be discriminated against because Russia has bad relations with Georgia? They should have their businesses closed and their children intimidated?

Are you saying that the fact that some Tajiks are criminals justifies violence against all Tajiks?

ReputationRep:
    So the Georgians who live in Russia should be discriminated against because Russia has bad relations with Georgia? They should have their businesses closed and their children intimidated?

Are you saying that the fact that some Tajiks are criminals justifies violence against all Tajiks?
    again..how are they being discriminated against? these banana-republic people have pretty much monopolised the whole "bazar" thing where many people shop for fruits, vegtables and meat..i dont see anyone going "hmm..lest actually go shop in this place where its 4 times more expensive but sold by Russians"...AFAIK all that is being done is they arent allowed to send money back..and other various economic sanctions..but then again i havent been in Russia since Christmas and havent read any Russian news lately.

and obviously crimes by one group doesnt justify retaliation against all members of that group living in said country..however many of these attacks are committed by youth who are probably too afraid to go against men so they take it out on women+their own age group because they feel they have the need to prove themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abrp)
    i wasnt born in Russia..i was born in Leningrad, USSR!
    I was born in USSR too... Like in the Gazmanov song, "Ja rozhden v Sovetskom Sojuze, Sdelan ja v SSSR!" - love it.
    Great that you go to Russia so often, I only go once a year which is actually a lot more oftren than some of my Russian friends. Some haven't been back for 2-3 years :eek:

ReputationRep:

i really like Gazmanov (as well as absolutly being crazy about Lyube)

Gazmanov - Kak mi smojem pobedit'?

Born in the USSR

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.